26 (edited by OMGuar 2010-11-05 02:54 PM)

Re: Roll cage options..

Lemonious Monk wrote:
OMGuar wrote:

I'm thinking of tying the cage into the door bars etc..

Good idea.

OMGuar wrote:

Dragster style cages would be allowed correct?

No

OMGuar wrote:

Full width roll cages aren't a requirement are they?

Yes they are.

How about this?  Sell your chrome moly tubing to an NHRA guy looking to build a cage that will withstand a 150mph impact and be inspected by the NHRA.  Take that money and buy the correct diameter and wall thickness DOM tubing that will be inspected by the Lemons tech guys.  Use the rest of the money to buy beer.  Everybody is happy.

Well I hate beer!  There I've said it!  Let the harrassement begin. (Big sheepish grin)

Regarding selling Chrome moly tubing,  it would be simple if I had a listing in the yellow pages!  Or everybody in town who wanted to go racing had to stop by my house first..
I've got a shop full of stuff I've paid good money for but not used..At various times I've even tried to sell some of it.. The only people interested were the bone pickers willing to pay pennies on the dollar.. Rather keep the stuff on my shelf..
Ah well,  If I can't afford some tubing I guess I couldn't afford to go racing..
   However I'm sure there's more than a few goodies in the shop that will wind up on the car.. Yeh! I know,, no go fast stuff!  I can still do nice work and make a car I'm proud of.
  Maybe I should start a Vintage class of Lemons.. for cars  more than 30 years old.. I'd race my MGuar except I'm sure somebody would insist it's worth more than $500 even though it's made from stuff on my shelf which as I said the bone pickers decided wasn't worth taking.. 
1950 MGTD powered by Jaguar 3.8 XK engine.. with Jaguar suspension.
Did you know that a 1950 MGTD and an XK-E have the same track ?  (50 inches) Since the wheels are open I'd use my mag wheels  (real mag), pin drive wheels cast by  Halibrand for Troutman and Barnes special that Jim Hall and Hap Sharp called the chapparell MK1
   (wheels and brakes are open aren't they?)
  HMMM First in antique class for cars 60 years old and older?

The short answer is, yes, you can use chromoly.  But it still has to meet the minimum size and thickness requirements outlined in the rules.  They don't specify material, other than, "Properly bent, racecar-grade and -quality tubing is mandatory."

I imagine some of the frustration in the replies to this thread come from the fact that you seem to not have read the rules about cages, or you seem to think that they don't apply to you if you have a "better" way to do it.  Trust me, Jay and Co. don't give a crap whether your way is better or not; if you get hurt and the cage doesn't conform to the rules, the insurance company won't cover it and the organizers would be liable.

The straight and simple way... read the rules, and follow them to the letter.  Look at the thread referenced above for examples.

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

OMGuar,

As a fellow Jag racer, I may be able to help you out visually.  Here are a couple of pictures of the cage that Evil Genius built for our XJ12.  It includes some optional extras, such as the dash bar and the NASCAR bars, but I think it should be able to help. 

http://img689.imageshack.us/i/img5632i.jpg/

http://img190.imageshack.us/i/img5635h.jpg/

http://img293.imageshack.us/i/img5637p.jpg/

There are many places you can cheat, especially with a Jag, but the cage, seat and harness aren't any of them.

This is all really moot anyway, if you don't build a cage that meets the rules, you're not racing, period.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

Slightly off topic sorry...

if you get hurt and the cage doesn't conform to the rules, the insurance company won't cover it and the organizers would be liable.

The insurance company won't cover what? Is there some sort of insurance involved on our end other then our own health insurance? Or are you referring to insurance against the organizers being sued?

DaveH wrote:

The short answer is, yes, you can use chromoly.  But it still has to meet the minimum size and thickness requirements outlined in the rules.  They don't specify material, other than, "Properly bent, racecar-grade and -quality tubing is mandatory."

I imagine some of the frustration in the replies to this thread come from the fact that you seem to not have read the rules about cages, or you seem to think that they don't apply to you if you have a "better" way to do it.  Trust me, Jay and Co. don't give a crap whether your way is better or not; if you get hurt and the cage doesn't conform to the rules, the insurance company won't cover it and the organizers would be liable.

The straight and simple way... read the rules, and follow them to the letter.  Look at the thread referenced above for examples.

Dave as you know the problem is Chrome moly is slightly differant than DOM in size..   Much, much, stronger but slightly smaller. 
that's why I asked about wiggle room.. Racecar grade does include Chrome Moly since so many race cars use Chrome Moly.. 
  Chrome Moly dies for bending are slightly differant than DOM and you need a whole lot more pressure to bend it.. a lot more!

32 (edited by RobL 2010-11-05 04:31 PM)

SoFlacrapcan wrote:

Slightly off topic sorry...

if you get hurt and the cage doesn't conform to the rules, the insurance company won't cover it and the organizers would be liable.

The insurance company won't cover what? Is there some sort of insurance involved on our end other then our own health insurance? Or are you referring to insurance against the organizers being sued?

Insurance protecting the organizers.  The problem isn't you or me, it's a wife, daughter, son, parents, grandkids, ex-wife who gets alimony, etc. who can and do file wrongful death suits.  Or it's another insurance company that is trying to recoup medical expenses.  They will sue everyone involved to find deep pockets.  If they find that the cage was not up to the stated spec. and someone knew about it, they then have a case that can be prosecuted.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

You're fighting two problems: insurance underwriters and rule simplicity. If Jay wrote the rules so you could make a NASA-style cage, and allow a NASCAR-style cage, and allow an NHRA-style cage, somebody would screw up and mix cage styles. The tech inspector might not catch the difference in styles. Then they'd get in a wreck. The family would sue because the rules were too confusing. Jay's insurance company would refuse to cover it because the cage didn't meet the rules EXACTLY AS STATED. Lemons, as we know it, would end.

You might be able to get Jay to approve your NHRA-cage plan, but don't count on it. You would have to bring your special approval paperwork with you to every race, and even then the tech inspector would sweat you pretty hard. He might even get a hair up his butt to disallow your cage, and if Jay isn't handy to tell him otherwise (he doesn't make it to all the races) you're up $#!+ creek. It's a whole lot easier to just build the cage to meet the rules AS STATED.

EriktheAwful wrote:

You're fighting two problems: insurance underwriters and rule simplicity. If Jay wrote the rules so you could make a NASA-style cage, and allow a NASCAR-style cage, and allow an NHRA-style cage, somebody would screw up and mix cage styles. The tech inspector might not catch the difference in styles. Then they'd get in a wreck. The family would sue because the rules were too confusing. Jay's insurance company would refuse to cover it because the cage didn't meet the rules EXACTLY AS STATED. Lemons, as we know it, would end.

You might be able to get Jay to approve your NHRA-cage plan, but don't count on it. You would have to bring your special approval paperwork with you to every race, and even then the tech inspector would sweat you pretty hard. He might even get a hair up his butt to disallow your cage, and if Jay isn't handy to tell him otherwise (he doesn't make it to all the races) you're up $#!+ creek. It's a whole lot easier to just build the cage to meet the rules AS STATED.

I suppose the option exists to build a NHRA  style cage and the required extensions to build a "to the letter of the law cage" cage Except even  then the insurance guys could say that that's not a letter of the law cage. (It's more) In fact I'm willing to bet that if a nasty enough lawyer went over every single thing Jay's Butt is still on the line.   Because a good lawyer would attact the rules as being neglagent based on rules the NHRA, NASCAR etc. run with.
Bottom Line  under the right circumstances Jay can be sued at anytime for anything..
Come to think of it any of us can be sued at any time for anything.. 
So perhaps risky behavior like racing exposes us all to risk of  Law suit.
Considering all that should any of us race? 

Like Jay we all have thus far said screw it, I'll take the risk..

Again, read the rules.

If you built a narrow cage and tried to "extend it" to meet the rules, it wouldn't be approved because the rules specifically say that "Each major load-bearing member must be formed from its own single, continuous tube."

Extensions aren't required.  A cage that is properly built to the specifications stated in the rules is required.

I'd bet that you could probably get a waiver to use your smaller diameter Moly tubing, but you'd still be expected to meet the rest of the cage criteria.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

OMGuar wrote:

I suppose the option exists to build a NHRA  style cage and the required extensions to build a "to the letter of the law cage" cage Except even  then the insurance guys could say that that's not a letter of the law cage. (It's more) In fact I'm willing to bet that if a nasty enough lawyer went over every single thing Jay's Butt is still on the line.   Because a good lawyer would attact the rules as being neglagent based on rules the NHRA, NASCAR etc. run with.
Bottom Line  under the right circumstances Jay can be sued at anytime for anything..
Come to think of it any of us can be sued at any time for anything.. 
So perhaps risky behavior like racing exposes us all to risk of  Law suit.
Considering all that should any of us race? 

Like Jay we all have thus far said screw it, I'll take the risk..

http://www.phillyscca.com/forum/images/smilies/wall.gif

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

dude... DOM really isn't expensive enough to warrant all this arguing to try and get past it. hundreds, maybe even over a thousand teams now (definitely cars) have plopped down the $5-600 for the materials. You could probably get an OK bender for $300(or borrow someone else's) and you already have your own welding equipment, im sure. that's maybe $1000 which is cheap compared to some of us forking out to have a shop do it. If you honestly want to discuss this further, Hit up John or Jay; Their Opinion of what you're trying to do will make or break whether you'll be allowed to do it. Hell, write back here when you get your answer so we know in-fact whether it's acceptable. Otherwise...

/THREAD

I always find it interesting when someone comes on the forum and says, hey guys, I have this idea, can I do this? And then the resounding opinion is some version of no/no way/what are you effing illiterate/read the rules, and then our chief tech guy comes on and says hey buddy, just build it like everyone else, and then the OP says, ok, well screw all y'all, I'm going to build it like I want to build it anyway.

Why waste our precious Intarwebs like this? It makes Smokey the Bear cry.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Serj wrote:

dude... DOM really isn't expensive enough to warrant all this arguing to try and get past it. hundreds, maybe even over a thousand teams now (definitely cars) have plopped down the $5-600 for the materials. You could probably get an OK bender for $300(or borrow someone else's) and you already have your own welding equipment, im sure. that's maybe $1000 which is cheap compared to some of us forking out to have a shop do it. If you honestly want to discuss this further, Hit up John or Jay; Their Opinion of what you're trying to do will make or break whether you'll be allowed to do it. Hell, write back here when you get your answer so we know in-fact whether it's acceptable. Otherwise...

/THREAD

You're right,  if I can't afford a few hundred bucks for some tubing I can't afford to go racing..
   That's not the issue here but, this really isn't the place to discuss it.. Jay would like engineering facts prior to making a decision I'm sure.  Heck I've already listed reasons it shouldn't be allowed (I'll wait go back and find them if you are interested)  and those reasons have nothing to do with safety. 
  The funny part about these sites is that every person has their opinion and it's remarkable that opinions vary so wildly..
  It's like trying hold a discussion with a crowd..

Mulry wrote:

I always find it interesting when someone comes on the forum and says, hey guys, I have this idea, can I do this? And then the resounding opinion is some version of no/no way/what are you effing illiterate/read the rules, and then our chief tech guy comes on and says hey buddy, just build it like everyone else, and then the OP says, ok, well screw all y'all, I'm going to build it like I want to build it anyway.

Why waste our precious Intarwebs like this? It makes Smokey the Bear cry.

IF you had read this completely you would have read about a dozen posts back where I said, You're right if a guy can't afford a few hundred bucks for some tubing he can't afford to go racing..
You'll also have read where I gave the reasons not to allow chrome moly. (has nothing to do with safety or insurance)   
  By the way  go to the galley and see if you can spot the two cars with Chrome moly cages.. Takes really, really, sharp eyes and knowing what to look for..
That's the funny part about so many opinions here..  they agree that it can't happen,  but they don't agree why.
   Don't worry guys, I won't point out your chrome moly cages.

Here's the rule:
"Rollbar Tubing and Padding: Minimum tubing size for cars weighing under 3000 pounds as raced is 1.50" x .120". Properly bent, racecar-grade and -quality tubing is mandatory: no stretched or crushed bends allowed."

See the part about 1.5x120 racecar quality tube?

Goto a race car supply shop, like jerrybickel.com
and buy some 1.5x.120 cr-mo roll cage tube and build a cage.
To avoid confusion, here's the link:
1.5x.120Cr-Mo rollcage tube

Done.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

OMGuar wrote:

That plus the tube bender I have access to has only the mandrels for Chrome moly tubing. They don't fit DOM tubing.. Or ERW.

1.50 x.120 ChroMo tubing is not really 1.50" OD?

http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/
http://www.teamdfl.com
"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."
Prepping the Red wReck for the 24 Hours of Lemons

TeamDFL wrote:
OMGuar wrote:

That plus the tube bender I have access to has only the mandrels for Chrome moly tubing. They don't fit DOM tubing.. Or ERW.

1.50 x.120 ChroMo tubing is not really 1.50" OD?

Tube is Tube, its all measured the same, just material and method of manufacture changes.  DOM or ERW might be harder to find in certain sizes that Chromo is popular in but its around.

OMGuar wrote:

IF you had read this completely you would have read about a dozen posts back where I said, You're right if a guy can't afford a few hundred bucks for some tubing he can't afford to go racing..
You'll also have read where I gave the reasons not to allow chrome moly. (has nothing to do with safety or insurance)   
  By the way  go to the galley and see if you can spot the two cars with Chrome moly cages.. Takes really, really, sharp eyes and knowing what to look for..
That's the funny part about so many opinions here..  they agree that it can't happen,  but they don't agree why.

You have been answered,  the people on this forum are right.  I am the the one(along with Dan) who is responsible for safety rules/enforcement in Lemons. 

Bring a cage with a minimum tube size of 1.5 X .120  and go racing...Chromo or not.. 

See you at a race
  -John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Come on John, It was just getting started.

Holy shit this guy is thick headed.

ohaythair wrote:

Holy shit this guy is thick headed.

More than a dozen posts and several days ago you'll see my response which was I guess if I can't afford a few hundred bucks for some  tubing I can't afford to go racing..

Rule of thumb.. read what is posted, do not assume anything!
  Now I've controlled my anger at your offencive response.
  But if your a real man you'll go back, confirm what I just said and then apologize..

Evil Genius wrote:
OMGuar wrote:

IF you had read this completely you would have read about a dozen posts back where I said, You're right if a guy can't afford a few hundred bucks for some tubing he can't afford to go racing..   Since that's been several days now

You have been answered,  the people on this forum are right.  I am the the one(along with Dan) who is responsible for safety rules/enforcement in Lemons. 

Bring a cage with a minimum tube size of 1.5 X .120  and go racing...Chromo or not.. 

See you at a race
  -John

Hello John.
  I  seem to be getting a lot of anger from some on this issue..

Too bad people don't read what was written more than a dozen posts earlier or even on the first"page"?  Where I said I would never bring anything substandard or less than professional.  (earlier I had said I guess if I can't a few bucks for some tubing I couldn't afford to go racing)
    Since it's been several days now,, I'll simply assume that those attacking me simply need to vent some frustration? 
   Any way.  John.
  to keep things friendly,
   you'll have to change your roll bar rules.
  I'm sorry..   
  But none of the rules written (I just double checked)  have given you any way to verify that the cage is indeed the correct thickness.
It's not a big change.. just require a hole drilled into a non critical area of the tubing to provide you with a visual inspection.  Yeh, I suppose you could bring a sonic tester and confirm it that way, except they are rather big and expensive. plus they would require bare metal..
  Even then it would be possible to weld a thick piece to drill into,  hide the weld and use the rest as Chrome Moly.   I wouldn't.   I don't cheat* and this seems like an area that is real important to a lot of people.   
   * I will read the rules as completly as possible and take advantage of anything that is allowed even if not commonly done..  Just think of me as Smokey ,The French version ;D=D  (Hhhmmmmm   a 3/4 scale Jaguar XJ-S, I could even paint it black and gold)
  Besides anybody who wants to race a 34 YEAR OLD JAGUAR SIMPLY HAS TO HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR.. (That or I'm nuts, Hey! the juries still out on that!!):D=D

OMGuar wrote:

Hello John.

Too bad people don't read what was written more than a dozen posts earlier or even on the first"page"?  Where I said I would never bring anything substandard or less than professional.  (earlier I had said I guess if I can't a few bucks for some tubing I couldn't afford to go racing)
    Since it's been several days now,, I'll simply assume that those attacking me simply need to vent some frustration? 
   Any way.  John.
  to keep things friendly,
  I'm sorry..   
  But none of the rules written (I just double checked)  have given you any way to verify that the cage is indeed the correct thickness.
It's not a big change.. just require a hole drilled into a non critical area of the tubing to provide you with a visual inspection.  Yeh, I suppose you could bring a sonic tester and confirm it that way, except they are rather big and expensive. plus they would require bare metal..
  Even then it would be possible to weld a thick piece to drill into,  hide the weld and use the rest as Chrome Moly.   I wouldn't.   I don't cheat* and this seems like an area that is real important to a lot of people.   
   * I will read the rules as completly as possible and take advantage of anything that is allowed even if not commonly done..  Just think of me as Smokey ,The French version ;D=D  (Hhhmmmmm   a 3/4 scale Jaguar XJ-S, I could even paint it black and gold)
  Besides anybody who wants to race a 34 YEAR OLD JAGUAR SIMPLY HAS TO HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR.. (That or I'm nuts, Hey! the juries still out on that!!):D=D

The inspectors have a drill and will make a hole if you dont already have one.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

JThw8 wrote:
OMGuar wrote:

Hello John.

Any way.  John.
  to keep things friendly,
  I'm sorry..   

The inspectors have a drill and will make a hole if you dont already have one.

Just to keep you happy, I'll have a recept for the required amount of .095 wall 1.75 DOM tubing.
HMMM did I miss that?  I'm sorry,  I just re checked and I don't see it..
  I'll go back and find it.. don't want the wrong size hole or in the wrong place..