Re: Roll cage options..

http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/forum/smileyvault-popcorn.gif

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

OMGUAR,

I don't think you fit in around here.

Sincerely,

Everyone.

OMGuar wrote:

Just to keep you happy, I'll have a recept for the required amount of .095 wall 1.75 DOM tubing.
HMMM did I miss that?  I'm sorry,  I just re checked and I don't see it..
  I'll go back and find it.. don't want the wrong size hole or in the wrong place..

I wouldn't take to long finding the reciept because or your cage might look like swiss cheese when you get back from all the holes they'll be drilling to verify each tube in multiple spots.  These inspectors are a suspicious lot.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Zachreligious wrote:

OMGUAR,

Sincerely,

Everyone.

I don't agree with that statement, as I think the posts that he's put up on other threads indicate otherwise. I suspect there's a miscommunication going on in this post somewhere. He started out this post testing the water regarding cromoly tubing that was slightly undersized and was pretty quickly shot down. Then he slightly retracted, then kind of got his back up a little bit, and then a little bit more. I think we've got a stubborn bunch of lunkheads around here (myself most definitely included) and we all know what that leads to on teh forums: flame war. Woo freakin' hoo.

Let's leave that crap to the 4chan bunch. Honestly, we've all got better things to do with our time. This thread has been beaten to death.

Move on, nothing to see here, please disperse. smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/forum/smileyvault-popcorn.gif

I want to be a fly on the wall at two times - BS inspection and thier first black flag.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Receipt for tubing won't help.  The inspectors will drill a hole in the cage - in the main hoop - and test the thickness.  They will visually inspect welds and tubing for consistency and quality.

I understand wanting to have a discussion, but really the answer to the "is there wiggle room?" question was had early, that's a no.  Why ask for advice if you won't take it?

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

Mulry wrote:
Zachreligious wrote:

OMGUAR,

Sincerely,

Everyone.

I don't agree with that statement, as I think the posts that he's put up on other threads indicate otherwise. I suspect there's a miscommunication going on in this post somewhere. He started out this post testing the water regarding cromoly tubing that was slightly undersized and was pretty quickly shot down. Then he slightly retracted, then kind of got his back up a little bit, and then a little bit more. I think we've got a stubborn bunch of lunkheads around here (myself most definitely included) and we all know what that leads to on teh forums: flame war. Woo freakin' hoo.

Let's leave that crap to the 4chan bunch. Honestly, we've all got better things to do with our time. This thread has been beaten to death.

Move on, nothing to see here, please disperse. smile

The chrome moly is something like .093 wall and 1.72 in diameter.  I know it's just a couple of thousands off. Which is why I asked about wiggle room.  Espesically when I saw a car with the stuff that has been racing with the group.  Then looking through the pictures (galley?) I spotted another one.
   That's where I tried to clarify. 
   It seemed like a lot of people were jumping in without reading completely.
  No means No sort of answers when clearly that wasn't the case in some cases..
  Early on I said I wouldn't bring anything less than professional and  the cries got more abusive.. almost 2 dozen posts ago  I said I would buy DOM  I repeated it and repeated it and yet the abuse got even worse..
  If  like me you've read rules completely and every thread on the subject  carefully  You'll see that is not uniform in response..
  Under Tech the first thread is a rules clarification about rollbar rules.. I read all  5 "Pages?" and several comments report nonstandard tubing without a single negative comment. 
  I apologized  to a Inspector and and polietly  pointed out that there was nothing in the rules about a inspection hole . I asked nicely where to put it and the reponse was don't worry we'll swiss cheese it for you..
Now I realize that not everyone who responds is speaking for the club. Yet some have claimed authority have been less than friendly..
  I do know sometimes a few individuals are going to be off..
  I try to make light of things.  98% of the people I've met over the years racing have been great..  The other 2% doesn't seem to last very long so they don't bother me..
Just to repeat.. THE CAR WILL SHOW UP WITH A PROPER ROLLCAGE WITH DOM STEEL AND NOT CHROME MOLY.   
I suppose I've been a victum of a Flame war..
I guess I have to take it with good humor but it sure makes it hard to ask any future questions where the potential exists to be treated this way..

OMGuar wrote:

I suppose I've been a victum of a Flame war.

OMGuar wrote:

They sure got upset when I wanted to use some Chrome Moly I had....You'd swear they thought I wanted to steal their children the way they came after me).
From the Roll Cage Rule Thread, Post 113

OMGuar wrote:

The chrome moly is something like .093 wall and 1.72 in diameter.  I know it's just a couple of thousands off. Which is why I asked about wiggle room.

You were the victim of not being able to effectively articulate your question. If you had opened the thread asking if you could build a LeMon's spec cage using .093thk x 1.72OD chro-mo tube you would have been given answers more akin to, "You should email Nick and ask...he might let you!" But what you started with was:

OMGuar wrote:

I've got this chrome molley tubing looking for someplace to be, Can I  build a cage to NHRA specs and get a NHRA inspector to sign off on it  at 150MPH1/4 mile or whereever their rules are?
  but Chrome molley is smaller than DOM tubing..

The way you asked the question implied that you were more curious about getting an NHRA inspector to sign off on your not-to-LeMons-spec-but-to-NHRA-150mph-.25mi-spec-cage, which, appropriately, got you many versions of "no."

Justin
Team Cardorks: #901 Amtrack E36 / # 902 Philly E30 / #903 Integra TypeArrr!
Driving something, somewhere.

Compared to full on flame wars of the old school this was reasonable and enlightened discussion I think. I'm certain you don't realize it but from time to time through all your posts you really come off (to me at least, I don't speak for The Club!) looking like you're saying "I'm a Real Race Driver and I Know Better" all the while offering friendly advice. Despite that possibly being true the impression is unlikely to help your popularity here where the culture has kind of rejected that sort of attitude, real or imagined. I'm not at all saying don't post, but be aware of why people might react that way.

I haven't gone to look but I seem to remember Trekkor getting similar treatment when he arrived.

One day, Mister ffffffffffffffffox!

OMGuar wrote:
ohaythair wrote:

Holy shit this guy is thick headed.

More than a dozen posts and several days ago you'll see my response which was I guess if I can't afford a few hundred bucks for some  tubing I can't afford to go racing..

Rule of thumb.. read what is posted, do not assume anything!
  Now I've controlled my anger at your offencive response.
  But if your a real man you'll go back, confirm what I just said and then apologize..

Apologize?  That's doubtful.

Rule #1 of the internet: Assume everyone is an idiot, because they probably are.

What I read was you asking questions, not getting the answer you wanted, then you re-asking the same question differently.  All the while telling everyone what a great fabricator you are and telling people you wouldn't show up with a less than safe cage.  I'd hate to see what would happen if cage rules were left up to the individual to decide what was 'safe'.  You can build drag racing cages, that's great, but this isn't drag racing, this is road racing(using the term racing loosely).  Road racing cage design is pretty standardized(if you look in the right places), stop trying to piss into the wind and listen to these people, especially the tech inspectors.  I would STRONGLY suggest reading a NASA, SCCA, or BMWCCA rule book to get the basics of standard road racing cage design.  If you send me some photos I'd be more than happy to help you out with what bars to put where and why.   IMO, 75% of the cages that show up to Lemons are junk, even though they still meet the letter of 'the law'.

Why are drag racing cage builders always the most stubborn?

can i build my cage from 45x3.5  316 Stainless Tube?

Serj wrote:

Is that Metric?  I'm pretty sure the Metric System is illegal in this country.

Facebook Page

there's a place in town called Parker steel. they ONLY do metric metals, and I'd love me some sponsorship.

so 45 mm is 1.77"
     3.5 mm is .137"

So being slightly larger would seem better.  Just need to see if stainless makes a difference.

Facebook Page

i just don't want a rusty cage. 316's got >60,000psi tensile strength so i should be OK smile

I would think so, could just email nick to check.

First thing I did when I got my cage in was paint it just for that reason.

Facebook Page

BoB wrote:
Serj wrote:

Is that Metric?  I'm pretty sure the Metric System is illegal in this country.

You'll get beaten with a yardstick if you use it.

Can I build my cage from 6 inch diameter Oak logs?  The bending strength is higher than the requirements and I've been building furniture for years.  Wanna see my gorgeous and sturdy rocking chair?

El Capitan de Substandard Racing -  Houston, Tx
2009 Yee Haw! It's Lemons Texas: 1973 Gremlin - Gremwow!
2010 Gator-O-Rama: 1973 Gremlin - Gremlin Express, Lassiez le Crapheaps Roulette - Gremlin - Most Heroic Fix
http://substandardracing.blogspot.com/

Zachreligious wrote:

OMGUAR,

Sincerely,

Everyone.

That's a *bit* harsh.  The first race and subsequent black flag penalties should give him a sense of the right attitude to show up with.  If not, then, ohh well we tried.

El Capitan de Substandard Racing -  Houston, Tx
2009 Yee Haw! It's Lemons Texas: 1973 Gremlin - Gremwow!
2010 Gator-O-Rama: 1973 Gremlin - Gremlin Express, Lassiez le Crapheaps Roulette - Gremlin - Most Heroic Fix
http://substandardracing.blogspot.com/

komododave wrote:
Zachreligious wrote:

OMGUAR,

Sincerely,

Everyone.

That's a *bit* harsh.  The first race and subsequent black flag penalties should give him a sense of the right attitude to show up with.  If not, then, ohh well we tried.

Don't be too concerned about him, in another thread he was trying to get his car ready for the Brainerd race.  Soooo, he'll be running in a different crapcan series entirely.

Greg
Team Skid Steer
Bullitt Bobcat 2.0
Fox Cougar Sedan

OMGuar, I still think you're cool and that you'll fit right in. Especially with a Jag.

If you show up to your first event 'flaming', that would be truly funny.

Akaishi wrote:

Compared to full on flame wars of the old school this was reasonable and enlightened discussion I think. I'm certain you don't realize it but from time to time through all your posts you really come off (to me at least, I don't speak for The Club!) looking like you're saying "I'm a Real Race Driver and I Know Better" all the while offering friendly advice. Despite that possibly being true the impression is unlikely to help your popularity here where the culture has kind of rejected that sort of attitude, real or imagined. I'm not at all saying don't post, but be aware of why people might react that way.

I haven't gone to look but I seem to remember Trekkor getting similar treatment when he arrived.

I'm sorry if that's the impression I give. It's most assuredly not how I feel.. I'm a fat old man who simply loves sports car racing.. The idea of taking a $500 budget and doing something with it is exciting and fun.. However combine that with a chance to play with my favorite cars (Jagaurs) and I want to do as good a job as possible.. I'm trying to be carefull to properly prep the car so when I arrive the car doesn't have issues and I can get on with the fun part.
In retrospect I should have simply shut up about my concern about the trival differance between DOM and Chrome Moly.  Slapped a coat of paint on the cage and based on what's already running in your club it would have been fine..
  It was foolish of me to check on things first..

EriktheAwful wrote:

OMGuar, I still think you're cool and that you'll fit right in. Especially with a Jag.

If you show up to your first event 'flaming', that would be truly funny.

Hmm!   flames on a Jagaur?  Good God man!  What would the queen think?  If I did such a thing I'd never earn my knighthood!

Lemonious Monk wrote:
komododave wrote:
Zachreligious wrote:

OMGUAR,

Sincerely,

Everyone.

Don't be too concerned about him, in another thread he was trying to get his car ready for the Brainerd race.  Soooo, he'll be running in a different crapcan series entirely.

Actually I intend to do the two Brainerd events and your Chicago event.  Reading the rules both of you are similar.  The differances are trivial enough.  The prime differance as I see it is that the Fields are smaller at Chump Car.  only 20 cars or so running at the end of a 7 hour event.. Less than 35 started.. Your events seem far better supported..
  AS far as penalty laps they aren't really going to be important.. I intend to bring a 34 year old Jaguar.. that's enough penalty laps in itself to prevent any hope of success even if through some miricle it lasts the whole time..  Add the fuel penalty.  most of your cars got 30-40 MPG (on the street) early Jags got 8-11, under racing conditions that's about 40 minutes between refills.. time in the pits in a say 24 hour race means I'll be 40 minutes behind if by some miricle I were to finish..
Now add a car that weighs over 3700#'s and an engine that when new put out 272 horsepower  Racing that old lady will be like watching your granny do the High hurdles.. Not much chance for anything but merriment..
  Face it, anybody who wants to do that has to have a great sense of humor

Folks I think this one has run its course and the "flame free environment" has been tested at best, violated at worst. 

The question has been asked and answered and Im going to shut this one down to prevent any further unpleasantries. 

Let's all be nice smile  As the old saying goes the ass you kick today may be the one you have to kiss tomorrow.  Never know when a jab at someone now could cost you the loan of a much needed tool or assistance at a race.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."