Re: Who else uses their race car as a DD?

the buick's registered for street use so i can move it between garages. I've already driven it to 2 races and back. there's so much space inside that really my head has no chance of hitting the cage while I'm strapped in. MAYBE when I'm wearing the helmet though...

Ya we were the only team I saw that did not trailer their car to CMP, might have missed someone though.

Zachreligious wrote:
Serj wrote:
Zachreligious wrote:

S rated helmets allow a lot less peripheral vision than M rated ones. That's one of the reasons I use an M rated when autocrossing.

VERY VERY BAD idea. an M-rated helment is designed to abosorb more energy, yes, however it's only designed to take that energy ONCE. Add that to the lack of fire protection in an M-rated helmet and you might as well be wearing a foam hat inside a bucket.

I should point out that I autocross a street car without a cage. Also, I've never seen a car rollover or catch on fire at an autocross. Perhaps I'm going to the wrong events!

I'm not sure what I would do if I had to drive a caged car on the street - probably bite the bullet and wear a proper helmet.

IIRC SCCA is ok with M rated helmets for AutoXing a street car because obviously there are no roll bars to impact your skull on (thats the difference, not multiple impact testing, but rollbar impact testing, no helmet is rated for multiple impacts).  The other thing to realize is the fact an M helmet is not fire rated is the least of your problems if your car were to catch fire at an AutoX since there is no safety clothing requirement either.  I doubt the shorts, t-shirt, and chuck taylors most of us are probably wearing are fire rated either.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

RogueLeader wrote:
Zachreligious wrote:
Serj wrote:

VERY VERY BAD idea. an M-rated helment is designed to abosorb more energy, yes, however it's only designed to take that energy ONCE. Add that to the lack of fire protection in an M-rated helmet and you might as well be wearing a foam hat inside a bucket.

I should point out that I autocross a street car without a cage. Also, I've never seen a car rollover or catch on fire at an autocross. Perhaps I'm going to the wrong events!

I'm not sure what I would do if I had to drive a caged car on the street - probably bite the bullet and wear a proper helmet.

IIRC SCCA is ok with M rated helmets for AutoXing a street car because obviously there are no roll bars to impact your skull on (thats the difference, not multiple impact testing, but rollbar impact testing, no helmet is rated for multiple impacts).  The other thing to realize is the fact an M helmet is not fire rated is the least of your problems if your car were to catch fire at an AutoX since there is no safety clothing requirement either.  I doubt the shorts, t-shirt, and chuck taylors most of us are probably wearing are fire rated either.

Every event I have ever attended required long sleeve shirts and pants with close toe shoes. Most drag strips are the same but I haven't been to either in years.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

30 (edited by RogueLeader 2010-11-20 11:43 AM)

Riktor wrote:
RogueLeader wrote:
Zachreligious wrote:

Every event I have ever attended required long sleeve shirts and pants with close toe shoes. Most drag strips are the same but I haven't been to either in years.

I ran SCCA for 10 years and aside from no sandals theres no clothing requirement.  Even then, a long sleeve shirt and long pants still aren't even flame retardant.  Having been a firefighter for 13 years as well and seeing how it behaves, in reality I'd rather be in shorts and a t-shirt, at least then while you're escaping from the wreck you have less of a chance of bringing the fire with you!

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners