Re: Tips for lowering CG and the whole car...

Stick with the 14's just get lower profile tires that will essentially lower the gear ratio.  195/60 r14 tends to have the best tire choice for 14's now a days.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Ditto that, 195/60R14 are cheap and plentiful.  Falken Azenis are a good choice, in my experience.  13" tires are getting hard to find.  Plus your brakes may not fit behind them.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

Stanza is 4x114-ish and 13 inch wheels will not clear the front brakes on the wagon - in fact, not all 14" wheels will work, either.

Thanks to F&F series there's a steady supply of stock 15" 240SX wheels, as well as Altima alloys. Seems like 195/50r15 tires are actually smaller in overall diameter.

K Car Stalker

29 (edited by Junkyard Dog 2011-01-10 05:06 PM)

You should be able to reindex the torsion bars to lower the rear. It's trial and error, you pick whichever end of the bar you can remove the easiest, make a pop mark on the bar and the piece it goes into to show your start point, then slide the bar out and rotate whichever piece moves the easiest in the direction you need. Caution: two splines is a LOT.

On all four cars I have helped with, we cut coils by jacking the car up and cutting 1/2 coil at a time using a muffler cutter. Then set the car down, roll, bounce and measure, if it needs to come down some more repeat. Before going hog wild, consider that most suspensions are designed to work best with the control arms level with the ground. Also, having too little travel puts you on the bump stops which means the suspension is nearly bottomed out and could be way too stiff.

If you do go the eBay coilover route, black paint is your friend. wink

We ran the 205/60-15 Azenis on our Thunderbird and 195/60-14 on our Civic, very good tire for this!

Edit to correct my brainfart, we ran 205/50-15's on our 'Bird.

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

The thing that always seems to get the coilover crowd caught is the black paint over top of shiny paint.  I bet if you removed the original paint, let the coilovers get a powder of rust on 'em, then sprayed them black you would be okay.

I did not say this.  I am not here.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

Yeah, cuz the judges never notice adjustable spring perches even when they're rusty and painted black.  And they never get pissed when you insult their intelligence.

Y'all need to go back and watch the video of the 540 getting baked at the last BS inspection.  Jay had no trust for the team at all more because they painted their EXHAUST black than anything else.  His theory:  "you're under the car with black paint, what are you hiding?".

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

We run 2.5" red springs on the stock spring seat with a piece of PVC pipe around the top of the strut tube just to keep the spring centered.  You don't need adjustable spring seats, just stiff springs, so buy cheap springs and cobble something together that looks lemons-appropriate.

FastISH and the FURRiest 1991 Volvo 240 wagon
WV 13th, FL 8th (GRM), NJ 8th (B win), WV 4th (B win), NC 14th, NJ 14th, WV 62nd,  NH 17th, NY 54th
2012 Sears Point Outlaw...74th!

Hmmm... this thread is loaded with cheat.  Not particularly clever cheat, but I like it nonetheless.

Does this make me a bad Lemoner?

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

The stuff that is cheap or free isn't really "cheat", it's how you're SUPPOSED to set up a Lemons car!

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Camouflage paint and 'aged/antiqued' spring finishes?  Okay, I'll be sure to tell Phil & Jay that's how we're supposed to set it up at the next BS inspection!  (note to self #1: research removing valve cover bolts w/o leaving tool marks; note to self #2: bring excessive bribes/tribute)

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

Nah, that's not what I meant at all.  (If you read above, I specifically mentioned that painting stuff is often viewed as "hiding something" whether it is or not, and thus should be avoided.)

But, cutting springs, swapping in junkyard springs, cobbling together an added swaybar from some other car... those are the "cheap or free" mods that I was referring to.

I'm thinking about forming a front sway bar for the Simca project from a bundle of discarded coat hangers, wound in the style of aircraft cable and held together with twist-ties from day-old loaves of bread that get thrown out at the grocery store. I don't see how this could fail.

Cheaty? smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:

I'm thinking about forming a front sway bar for the Simca project from a bundle of discarded coat hangers, wound in the style of aircraft cable and held together with twist-ties from day-old loaves of bread that get thrown out at the grocery store. I don't see how this could fail.

Cheaty? smile

If I were a judge, and I saw that, I would immediately demand to see the spring rate calculations for said bar.  I would then bribe _you_.

'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"

Mulry wrote:

Cheaty? smile

But, if you use all of the coat hangers to create a swaybar, what will you use to weld the cage?

Loren wrote:
Mulry wrote:

Cheaty? smile

But, if you use all of the coat hangers to create a swaybar, what will you use to weld the cage?

You can weld PVC?

mechimike wrote:
Loren wrote:
Mulry wrote:

Cheaty? smile

You can weld PVC?

Weld, Melt, basically the same thing.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

sublimate wrote:

Stock brake clearance will probably be a problem w/ 13" wheels.

I clear a 9.2" rotor and caliper with a 13", but thats about it.

Team Dai Hard Home Page

1989 Daihatsu Charade

i think for wheels I'd stay in the 15-17" range, only because high-performance tire availability goes waaay up, peaking in the 17s iirc. not a personal fan of spring cutting but this year that may just be the ticket for us.

Well, maybe some flat black paint then spray everything with used motor oil and go cut donuts in a field. big_smile

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

Junkyard Dog wrote:

Well, maybe some flat black paint then spray everything with used motor oil and go cut donuts in a field. big_smile

Remind me not to go through BS with you.  Paint?  Motor oil? Dirt?  I have NO idea what ya'll are talking about.  Those KYBs came WITH the car.

Apparently my name is really "Craigers".  Who knew?
We might be yellow, but at least we are slow
I'm a WINNER!

Y'all realize that our esteemed judges have seen and heard it all, right?  They have x-ray vision that can see through grease, dirt, oil and fresh black paint.  They have a sixth sense that detects cheatonium.  And they don't believe a word that you say.

Make sure you budget for the oil and paint you use to coat your cheaty parts.

FastISH and the FURRiest 1991 Volvo 240 wagon
WV 13th, FL 8th (GRM), NJ 8th (B win), WV 4th (B win), NC 14th, NJ 14th, WV 62nd,  NH 17th, NY 54th
2012 Sears Point Outlaw...74th!

towerymt wrote:

Make sure you budget for the oil and paint you use to coat your cheaty parts.

Ooooh.... you know, that just MIGHT work!  They'd get a chuckle out of it, anyway.  And anytime you can get them laughing WITH you instead of AT you, it's probably a good thing.  Maybe.

I think my biggest problem is that I can't POSSIBLY cheat. There are rear shocks available for the car but not the front ones, for example. The engine has no aftermarket, period.

The car was bought three years ago for a grand total of $250 and, as we found out last weekend, it doesn't even need any cooling system upgrades - the stock rad is huge. If battery box is considered a safety item, then our budget is essentially $250 plus whatever we manage to get off of parts sales. A complete gasket kit for the motor is $30, both radiator hoses appear to be somewhat fresh and crack-free, and my super-size roll of spare heater hose is just the right size for the heater core.

So far our list of potential expenditures contains a $6 piece of steel angle to reinforce the rusted part of the front subframe (that contains two out of 8 suspension carrier attachment points and the sway bar u-brackets). That's about it.

We keep taking off bracket after bracket (I swear those brackets taken together weigh more than the components they support) and we keep gaining ground clearance as a result. It's now over a foot front and rear.

We also keep finding more and more rust. The car is made out of it, pretty much. I think if I go too hard on it with a wire wheel all the metal parts will disappear.

Nissan Stanza Wagon is an incredible POS. I feel proud.

K Car Stalker

Have you had to change the starter on it yet? Not a fun job.