Re: Here's proof that nobody wants Humbers

Rockford Brodie wrote:
Mulry wrote:

and would like to be able to drop my kids off at school with it

Anything to spite that damn Highlander kid

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/csp/cms/ … image/jpeg

I want to buy a Dustbuster just to spite that little brat.

El Capitan de Substandard Racing -  Houston, Tx
2009 Yee Haw! It's Lemons Texas: 1973 Gremlin - Gremwow!
2010 Gator-O-Rama: 1973 Gremlin - Gremlin Express, Lassiez le Crapheaps Roulette - Gremlin - Most Heroic Fix
http://substandardracing.blogspot.com/

Hoonatic Racing wrote:
mechimike wrote:

Agreed.  We need to have a "Take Your Child to School in a LeMon day.  Imagine 50, maybe 50 people all show up at school driving AMC Pacers, drop their kids off, hum a few bars of Alice's Restaurant...

50 will start, but 24 will throw a rod backing out of the drive and another 24 will have the brakes fail at the first stop light.
2 will actually drop the kids at school.

And the other 48 will have a heckuva story for show n' tell the next day. 

I have a 1960 Dodge Dart wagon I plan on restoring, if I ever have kids, to be the family hauler.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

Rockford Brodie wrote:
Mulry wrote:

and would like to be able to drop my kids off at school with it

Anything to spite that damn Highlander kid

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/csp/cms/ … image/jpeg

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/12/2011/01/nj3.jpg

2010 Gator-O-Rama: 1973 Gremlin - Gremlin Express, Lassiez le Crapheaps Roulette - Gremlin - Most Heroic Fix

Dropped off at school, you guys are so spoiled, I had to walk to school, two miles, uphill both ways in the driving snow!
No actually, my school drop off vehicle, Mercury Stationwagon  and then a Buick LeSabre Stationwagaon, neither hasn't been seen at Lemons, must have become collectable.

Dirty Duck Racing, #83 VW Rabbit GTI
'10,'11,12,'13 -Thunderhill, '10,'11,'12,'13,'14 - Buttonwillow, '11,'12,'13,'14 Sears Pointless, '11-Fernley, '13 Sears Even More Pointless-Class B Winner,  '11,'13 Arse-Freeze Sears Point, Return of the LeMonites Miller Motorsports-Class B Winner, '13 A&D Northworst GT-Overall Winner in MT-GT

Sort-'o OT, Butt - I bean Droped et skool oar sum plays bye my pairents in a:

'63 Corvair Monza 2-door
'68 Mini Cooper S (genuine and greymarket)
'59 Lotus Elite
'69 Fiat 128 wagon
'61 MGA 1600
mid-late 50's Buick Roadmaster Convertible (with hydraulic windows)
'57 Chevy (probably a "one-fifty", 'cause it was an ex-police car)
'58-ish VW beetle convertible
'74 Dodge Colt Wagon
'69 Pontiac Catalina
'54 Ford Custom Automatic
'61 Triumph TR3
'68 Rambler wagon (with the slow motor)
'63 Porsche 356B
'69 Lotus Cortina (not white/green)
Mid-60's VW van
- And probably others I've forgotten about.

... but never a Humber Super Snipe. Or any other Humber.

Any wonder I love Lemons!
And yeha, we need a take-your-kid-to-prom in a Lemons car day.

Mr. Unruly wrote:

Dropped off at school, you guys are so spoiled, I had to walk to school, two miles, uphill both ways in the driving snow!
No actually, my school drop off vehicle, Mercury Stationwagon  and then a Buick LeSabre Stationwagaon, neither hasn't been seen at Lemons, must have become collectable.

Mine was a 1982 Chevrolet Suburban...painted School Bus Yellow, with lights, and a big sign on it that said "SCHOOL BUS". 

When I started staying late in high school for track or Speech and Debate, my dad would pick me up in his old Chevy pickup.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

Mr. Unruly wrote:

Isn't there a Lemons Mercury Zephyr wagon, complete w/ woodgrain kit?
And the pillagerz boat is a lesabre, tho not a wagon.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

'78 Plymouth Volare'. That's why I don't lust after slant 6s like Judge Phil. I KNOW how much oil they burn.

This almost makes me wish that I had kids so I could drop them off in my white Volvo 850 with big black cow spots all over it, plus a horn that goes "MOOOOoooooo!"   I think they would quickly decide to walk to school.   smile

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

CowDriver wrote:

This almost makes me wish that I had kids so I could drop them off in my white Volvo 850 with big black cow spots all over it, plus a horn that goes "MOOOOoooooo!"   I think they would quickly decide to walk to school.   smile

I think that's win/win for everyone.

CowDriver wrote:

Too bad! The vehicle for over 10 years of my childhood was a white 1990 740 GLE wagon in refrigerator white. I was dropped off at school in that car occasionally.

Considering that most parents at this school (rather expensive private school) had Lexi and G-wagons and Hummers and Escalades and Cayennes, it was quite a sight to see.  I literally think my mom had the oldest car in the carpool line! big_smile

But anyway, we sold it for about $200 three years ago with major engine problems.  I don't know what happened to it.

Proud supporter of the "Bring A Sterling To Lemons" Foundation

I'll make it to an actual race one of these days.  Until then...

OK, Lemons parents: start taking your kids to school in your race cars, so that they'll have good stories later on.

Actually, they'll have traumatic stories of getting mocked by their peers: "...and then I had to crawl out the window of an Olds Achieva covered with giant portraits of THE AYATOLLAH!"

Judge Phil wrote:

OK, Lemons parents: start taking your kids to school in your race cars, so that they'll have good stories later on.

Actually, they'll have traumatic stories of getting mocked by their peers: "...and then I had to crawl out the window of an Olds Achieva covered with giant portraits of THE AYATOLLAH!"

All hail the Achievatollah!!

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5295/5409095362_a066726a1a.jpg

Judge Phil wrote:

Just think of how boring the stories of those kids that *don't* have to go to school in cars covered in portraits of the Ayatollah will be when they're in therapy?

Stories of "not being potty trained until 6" and "my mom kept breast feeding me till 13" are going to pale in comparison to "My dad used to drive me to school in Tow Mater he built out of a 1953 Dodge Pickup that he used to race with his drinking buddies" 

-=Tom

-=HFC Tom

funny that this popped back up. I bought that Humber badge that Phil posted. I'm slowly building a collection of car badges so that i can eventually build a bar that showcases them all. Please feel free to post up links to other unusual ones, I'm trying to collect as many as possible, and the more obscure the better.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Judge Phil wrote:

I am hoping that we'll have >50% Humbers, Simcas, GAZs, Packards, Ill-Advised-Engine-Swaps, etc on the track by the time we get to the 2012 Lemons season.

count us in on the ill-advised-engine-swap part, and trying to procure on of the other ones, just cant quite convince the old man to let it go...

Carbon footprint diesel chevette: IOE Gingerman '11, ClassC winner Autobahn, 13
Isuzu iMark diesel: IOE Gingerman'13
Chrysler Cordoba: Organizers Choice Barber '14

We're definitely in on the ill-advised-engine-swap too, but perhaps not until 2013.  It's going to be an ill-advised severely-modified powertrain hack-swap.

Seems like the chevettes need the most help in this area......

Maximum Effort Motorsports - Mid-engine 1979 Chevette - Class C Winner - GP Du Lac Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
New England Long Winter Build Award - 2015
IOE Winner, Loudon Annoying 2011, Judges Choice - Loudon Annoying 2012
Class C & Least Horrible Yank Tank winner - Boston Tow Party & Overhead Cam Bake 2011

Would swapping in another Chrysler 2.2 turbo instead of anything else not made by that glorious manufacturer be considered an ill-advised swap?

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Mr. Unruly wrote:

TWO miles?!?!? PSHAW!! A walk in the park. Try seven miles just to get to the bus stop, followed by a 1 hour ride into town. Driving snow, check, lightning, check, uphill both ways, check, Large mammals that want to eat you, check, holes in shoes, check.

Evil stepfather usually drove me to the bus stop at 4:30am in the Gremlin, otherwise I just wouldn't go. But I was on my own to fend for myself/run away from bears on the way home.

They say that hardship builds character. LIES. I'm living proof you should not instill TOO much character in your kids.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Judge Phil wrote:

My son turns 16 next spring.  He has been begging me to let him drive the Bavarian Ranchero to school.

Paul, aka BuFord Hogswaller:  Team Captain, Team Bavarian Ranchero and Team Pink Lloyd

Yeah, but that's not your typical Lemons car. I'd drive that to work myself, every day. wink

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

TWO miles?!?!? PSHAW!! A walk in the park. Try seven miles just to get to the bus stop, followed by a 1 hour ride into town. Driving snow, check, lightning, check, uphill both ways, check, Large mammals that want to eat you, check, holes in shoes, check.

You had shoes?

EriktheAwful wrote:

You had shoes?

Hah ha, you guys had to walk.

I think the "coolest" (read Lemony) car Dad ever dropped me off in was some pimp-tastic horrorshow custom based on a mid-70's Vette. Usually it was whatever generic GM or Ford demo he had at the time. When I was old enough to legally drive? Fairmont Futura with the "big" six. I was the only guy at school that could smoke the tires at stoplights...not having rear brakes will do that I guess.

-=Tom

-=HFC Tom

I was dropped off at middle school in a tan 69 Jag E Type coupe - it was the 80s - the car was a bit rough but way cool.  We did my paper route out of the rear hatch when the weather wasn't good too.  Dad eventually painted it and it looked great - stone cold reliable - he drove it daily for years without issue.  When I turned 16 and got my license he let me drive it exactly 1 time, then sold it, rather than worry that I'd take it and do something stupid.  Probably a good move.  But then giving me a 75 Jeep CJ 5 with a 304 to drive to school was probably not such a good idea.

Rally Baby 87 Audi 4KQ, Audi 90 Quattro Coupe, 1975 Mercedes R107, 87 E30s, E36s, the Whorenet, Rocco...
J. Phil: "Audis Never Win".  He might be right.But!, the K Dominates 2013 NJ and NH (not, but...). 
Stafford 2011 podium, 2nd NJMP 2013, Summit Point 2012 "WV ASSimilation award"
NJMP 2012 Organizer's Choice - R107, 2013 Monticello IOE Whorenet ! Organizers, CMP fall 2013 w/NSF

pennintj wrote:

Hah ha, you guys had to walk.

I think the "coolest" (read Lemony) car Dad ever dropped me off in was some pimp-tastic horrorshow custom based on a mid-70's Vette. Usually it was whatever generic GM or Ford demo he had at the time. When I was old enough to legally drive? Fairmont Futura with the "big" six. I was the only guy at school that could smoke the tires at stoplights...not having rear brakes will do that I guess.

-=Tom

If all goes well come December we will be racing a Futura with the big six at Button willow for the Arse-freeze.  Six in a row makes it go!  Great little motor with on horrible fatal flaw in the cast integral intake manifold.

http://piledriverz.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/imgp1129.jpg

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura