Re: Small Block Chevy Overheating Problems?

I was trying to figure out what kind of engine you had in your Gremlin that would rev to 7k...

Thanks for the info.  So a 3.0  or 3.5 V6 would be the same sort of deal xx35xE?

I guess the 20 is the important part, so I'd know it is a 2.0

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Oh, we weren't a Gremlin. We were that rolling chicane Stanza Wagon at CMP - the engine came stock in it.

K Car Stalker

STANZA!!  You had a lot of people rooting for you in the trackgeeks online chat session during the awards ceremony.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

The first half of Saturday we were seriously worried about getting crushed. First team to get two black flags, slowest car on the track, three completely inept drivers and one other whose experience with track days turned him into Mr Mayhem, until he figured out how to not run into people.

By Sunday we kinda got the hang of it. I still haven't figured out how to carry any sort of useful speed through corners, though. If you saw someone pushing 75+ on the main straight, then braking hard and slooooowly rolling around the corner, it was probably me smile

The Alfa-Stanza battle was awesome. Italian Bling posted some seriously fast lap times and were catching up to us quick every time they made it out onto the track, but they kept overheating the first day, and I think their brakes gave them trouble on Sunday.

K Car Stalker

-Cooling: Big radiator, shroud, & extra coolers for an auto trans if present, get a timing light and use it.  Flush the munge out of that thing.
-Longevity: Since SBC performance parts are nearly free, resist the urge to throw them in there.  Rockers and springs that have  gone a billion miles won't react well to that .550 lift cam you picked up at the swap meet.

Keep the revs down below, oh, 4000.  If it really is a stock motor, it'll fall flat by the time you get up there.*

*cheater!

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Every few posts the rev limit for the SBC falls a few hundred rpm's.

In the interested of all things bowtie please do not let this thread live another 3 pages as the results could be catastrophic.

Daniel Sycks

I had an olds 307-powered Caprice wagon, and I think it barely ever shifted above 3K rpm. Sometimes I felt I could pedal it faster.

It did get the advertised 25mpg highway, though.

K Car Stalker

You could downgrade the cams to something out of a truck for more low end torque and shift at 2800 rpm.  smile

ZeeGuys 300ZX

2500?  Anyone? Anyone?  Do I hear 2500?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/29/Amanco_hit-and-miss_engine%28GDSF_2007%29.JPG/798px-Amanco_hit-and-miss_engine%28GDSF_2007%29.JPG

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

So a 3.0  or 3.5 V6 would be the same sort of deal xx35xE?

Yes. VG30E, VQ35DE, etc. E is for port fuel injection, I is for throttle body injection (CA18I), TT is twin-turbo - VG30DETT.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_engines

Dude, never rev over 2,100rpm in a small block.  You'll overflux your canuter valve.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

2100?!  Are you nuts?  Everybody knows the torque peak on an SBC is 6 RPM.  Anything more and valves start floating.

30 Time Loser with Class C, Index of Effluency, I got Screwed and Heroic Fix Trophies who usually races, according to Car and Driver, The Greatest Road Racing Cherokee in History.

Check out our FB Page and follow our various exploits.

wvumtnbkr wrote:

RobL:  Would the frothy oil change the oil pressure?  Is there a solution to the frothy oil?

As long as the engine was running >1500rpm we had oil pressure. When we'd get into idle areas of <1000, then our pressure would drop below 10psi and there wasn't enough oil volume being moved through the engine to lube or carry heat away.  It got better with thicker oil (10-50) and a high volume oil pump.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

My favorite early car:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes_35_hp

35hp @ 950rpm, idle at 300rpm, 6 liter inline 4, TWIN CAM.

K Car Stalker

Dont oil galley restrictors (limits oil supply to the heads) solve this oil overflow/whipping/low pressure issue?

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

To correct an earlier comment:  Car # 350

The engine in the car did last several races.  In fact both engines that were in the car last year lasted several races.

The first motor would have lasted for all of the races if not for an over-revving situation.

Ghetto motorsports - Car #555 1980 Mazda RX7 (3x winner of BFE GP / 1x 2nd place of BFE GP...BOO!)
Car #350 78 Chevy Malibu (Least horrible Yank Tank, Heroic Fix) (Gone)
Car # 556 1987 Mazda RX7 (6th place MMC 2013) (1st place Capitol Offense 2013)