Re: Got the Go-ahead from HQ for my IoE idea

Cercious wrote:

I'm definitely curious now. Not much that has popped up on here has made me this curious before. =P Or want to actually post until I could get a team going. Well done on the suspension building here.

What part of Texas is your team located? Are you just looking for help with funding, or actual full fledged team mates to help with wrenching and what-not?

I'm in north Houston (they call this town Spring)
dont really need help wrenching. I've had plenty of experience doing that myself. What i need is funding. Teammates that have funds and want to get on track (even if it is snail's pace)

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

27 (edited by Hoonatic Racing 2011-03-15 04:33 AM)

Speedycop wrote:

Possibly an electric, given the added weight. I considered it, and realized I don't know enough about electric vehicles to bother.

Ooohh! now that's an idea! do you think Texas Motor Speedway will let me install overhead trolley lines the night before the race?

seriously, guys, think SLOWEST car ever
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/__lmh1AxLA7c/TMeVhGHH0UI/AAAAAAAAAXQ/3TZrQvHkMEA/s1600/Ferdinand+GT3+RS+(Aluminu+bicycle+powered+Porsche+replica).jpg

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

lol...i saw that episode.

Pendejo - There is no such thing as a racing budget and if you can't afford to set it on fire and watch it burn while drinking a beer then don't race it.

Speedycop wrote:

I considered it, and realized I don't know enough about electric vehicles to bother.

Since when has that stopped any of us?   smile

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

Hoonatic Racing wrote:

definitely refueling: that fuel cell will kill me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcNC9hWvMik&t=1m12s

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

Crab Spirits wrote:
Hoonatic Racing wrote:

definitely refueling: that fuel cell will kill me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcNC9hWvMik&t=1m12s

Did you figure out I'm gonna use a whole cluster of model rocket motors?

Hoonatic Racing wrote:
Speedycop wrote:

Possibly an electric, given the added weight. I considered it, and realized I don't know enough about electric vehicles to bother.

Ooohh! now that's an idea! do you think Texas Motor Speedway will let me install overhead trolley lines the night before the race?

seriously, guys, think SLOWEST car ever
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/__lmh1AxLA7c/T … plica).jpg

A few years ago I saw on the street an old Monte Carlo that someone gutted and it had four poeple in there pedling the car down the street.  So its possilble to do it with a standard car, you probably would need to get a waiver to have more than 1 team mate in the car at a time.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Squidbreath is in.
Tetanus Neon wants to split a seat.

Any other takers?

yeah, i'm going to have to go ahead and subscribe to this smile

I can't join the team, but i may be able to lend a hand with some fabrication if the idea is sufficiently crazy.

Anyone who puts a radial in an MR2 gets to hot lap my car.
Marc, I may have you machine the ever critical piece

Must be some crazy human powered car where you gas tank refueling (your stomach) is gonna be hard to do on the track.  Seems a top speed of 15mph may be a slight danger on the track though.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

Well I'm not sure how many rubberbands it would take but I would have to imagine refueling them would be tricky....

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B

how about you throw us a bone... maybe a horsepower and/or a torque rating?

Marc wrote:

About 5 monkey power (ask Dave Coleman of Eyesore Racing about monkey power)

Hoonatic Racing wrote:
Marc wrote:

About 5 monkey power (ask Dave Coleman of Eyesore Racing about monkey power)

using this guide: http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles … fined.aspx

motoiq wrote:

one monkeypower is only 0.05 hp.

so, 1/4HP?

the above idea of human power may actually be faster smile

Doh! I forgot he recalculated monkey power!
iirc it was 1/3 hp

Are you a professional lawn mower racer in your spare time?

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

Lemme guess... 60-psi boost on a Kubota 1-cylinder diesel? If you stuff that in a light and nimble enough chassis that doesn't need to brake, um, ever, you might actually have a winner. With a 25-gallon tank it'll run the whole weekend without a single pit stop.

Bring diapers, or just use a toilet for a seat.

How much non-flammable fluid can you leak on the track before you get a black flag?...

K Car Stalker

Steam-power?

-Victor

Dogsled?

Maximum Effort Motorsports - Mid-engine 1979 Chevette - Class C Winner - GP Du Lac Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
New England Long Winter Build Award - 2015
IOE Winner, Loudon Annoying 2011, Judges Choice - Loudon Annoying 2012
Class C & Least Horrible Yank Tank winner - Boston Tow Party & Overhead Cam Bake 2011

Lawnmower motivation in a Crosley Hot Shot?

100 gerbils running on exercise wheels?  You could do a Richard Gere theme.

-Victor

I wonder if a fuel cell counts as a fuel cell. By fuel cell I mean the kind that turns hydrogen into electricity and water vapor. Cause that makes it a safety item, and then you're only a used forklift motor away from glorious electrical power. Don't even need a controller, just short it to the battery and go.

I totally don't see a race car full of liquid hydrogen, or handling said liquid hydrogen via 5-gallon plastic containers as a safety issue. I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

K Car Stalker

the fuel cell I would assume would be part of the normal fuel tank money, however I have the feeling they won't let you run a car off hydrogen.  Be far easier to just toss in a diesel generator in the back and use that for your power source.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

firegremlin wrote:

I wonder if a fuel cell counts as a fuel cell. By fuel cell I mean the kind that turns hydrogen into electricity and water vapor. Cause that makes it a safety item, and then you're only a used forklift motor away from glorious electrical power. Don't even need a controller, just short it to the battery and go.

I totally don't see a race car full of liquid hydrogen, or handling said liquid hydrogen via 5-gallon plastic containers as a safety issue. I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

Smokey? is that you

according to the letter of the rules, the fuel cell is budget exempt smile

good luck getting an FIA rated hydrogen fuel cell though!