Re: Got the Go-ahead from HQ for my IoE idea

ever had to buy a stupid tool, just to finish your stupid build?
yup, did that today. had to buy this just to get the stupid 50 metric ton motor into the garage.
http://hphotos-snc6.fbcdn.net/194080_189686751067159_135399186495916_422930_4507224_o.jpg

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

I'm so proud to be involved in this.

Go John!

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

Now I'm confused.. Monkey Power and 50 metric ton motor have been mentioned..  Is this some giant hugely inefficient electric motor or steam engine?

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

Hoonatic Racing wrote:

ever had to buy a stupid tool, just to finish your stupid build?
yup, did that today. had to buy this just to get the stupid 50 metric ton motor into the garage.
http://hphotos-snc6.fbcdn.net/194080_18 … 7224_o.jpg

From the picture....it appears there is no motor in the forklift????  Using electric forklift power?  awesomeness!

You are truly Bi-winning!

No, forklift motor is there, battery was removed because it blew up

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

Now I'm confused.. Monkey Power and 50 metric ton motor have been mentioned..  Is this some giant hugely inefficient electric motor or steam engine?

If you really want to know, you have to join the team.

Still have room for 3 more @$1000 a seat. That covers everything to race, except food, clothing, and a place to sleep (so everything is included if you race like me)

Act now and you will get both a Saturday and sunday seat for the price of a whole weekend seat.

57 (edited by Hoonatic Racing 2011-03-17 07:21 PM)

Story of suck:

I borrowed a truck and trailer from Brandon (captain of the Dr Strangelove Benz) to pick up the forklift today. I brought with me a battery to power it and drive it onto the trailer. It would power on, but not drive as a "LO" display flashed (i assume the hydrolic fluid as it was way low). Then some electrical gremlins kept it from turning on (probably the 500lbs of blasting media in it from when it was repainted). I told the guy, I needed the forklift operational so i could drive it up my drive into the garage. He offered to use his other forklift to put it on the trailer, but that still doesn't get it up my driveway. I told him i didn't want it, and i would like my deposit back. He kindly obliged. As i was climbing into the truck to leave, he said "since it is broke, why don't you take it for half price and tinker with it."

Definitely a steal as it is worth it's original price in scrap, but still the dilemma of moving it up my driveway. I think for that price, i can rent a warehouse and work on it there. Plenty of room for Lemons. He is giving me the weekend to think about it.

I had to return Brandon's truck, so i put another $35 in the tank and grabbed my girlfriend and some McDonald's. Made it 1 mile from the gas station when the truck died. Put it in neutral and tried to start and the gauges died. Turn it off, then on, and gauges come back. Try to start it and the gauges die again. Coast to a stop, open the hood and find oil all over the alternator, battery and whole drivers side. Big puddle forming fast under the block. Like all of Brandon's Jettarosa motors, "a piston was voting independent".

I still dont have a forklift and now i'm down someone else's truck.

John, I'm going to break it to you as softly, but as firmly as necessary.

Your unqualified success in Lemons is twofold.  One, you are clever, charming and entertaining; two, you have utterly failed with whatever it is that is required to get any car to finish even a half day of Lemons racing.

That said, I think it safe to say we, the collective, continue to be entertained by your continued 'story of suck'.  So, John, please keep on writing and/or sucking!

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

59 (edited by EyeMWing 2011-03-17 10:41 PM)

You know, I once talked Starbucks into giving me a forklift for free.

When the lease on that warehouse expired, it got left behind.

Anyway, your lift's refusal to work was quite possibly because it didn't like your puny battery. In order to get ours to go, we had to gang up 3 automotive batteries to get it to even CONSIDER moving under its own power - but you could TOTALLY lift things. It was fine with that.

With no battery in it like that, the thing really shouldn't be all that heavy - the battery is most of the counterweight. If you can get it on a trailer, you should be able to get it off again by backing the trailer up into the garage and making judicious use of a come-along.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

We must be related.
the Vanagon has no sticker due to needing to pass smog. (Dec). no prob, not needing it in winter and the dmv is paid, so leave it in the driveway.
Charge it up, tune it up, get a new Cat (it needs one every time it smogs)
Get a pre-test before cat to verify, yep it needs a new cat.
new cat.
new fuel. fresh tank, nice 76 gas instead of the old stuff a few months back...
jump in and...
get towed home.
No fire. none. dunno where it went but it isn't there now.
I have:
one broken tow vehicle
one broken commuter (trans went giving thrill rides at Mini thunder - reliable honda is'nt)
one broken Lemons car (really that free machine wok will be ready tuesday... just don't ask which...
one reliable? British car to commute with and get all the prep for Sears pointless done in.
and a track record not unlike yours.

your lift's refusal to work was quite possibly because it didn't like your puny battery

+1

There's no "low hydraulic fluid" indicator on any of the forklifts I've worked on.

DC Doug wrote:

you have utterly failed with whatever it is that is required to get any car to finish even a half day of Lemons racing.

Finished 6th last month at MSR

please keep on writing and/or sucking!

will do

63 (edited by Hoonatic Racing 2011-03-18 03:26 AM)

EriktheAwful wrote:

your lift's refusal to work was quite possibly because it didn't like your puny battery

+1

There's no "low hydraulic fluid" indicator on any of the forklifts I've worked on.

It is an older Caterpillar, and dont worry about my battery pack, I stole it from my work's emergency backup system. I took 3 batteries to give me the required 36v  and the lift's gauge read the amps at 1/2 charge. Each one of those batteries weighs 80 lbs.

I'll go back and get the lift, and make a little money at the scrap yard, but without Brandon's Chevy2500, looks like i'm back to "Old Reliable"
http://hphotos-snc6.fbcdn.net/192468_10150112577934495_36766739494_6645268_7969919_o.jpg

Tow vehicle winnage.  Though I hope you're leasing it!

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

Hoonatic Racing wrote:

Finished 6th last month at MSR

Wasn't that another team's sports car? Building an IOE legend and driving a real race car are two very different things...

That said, I wanna see this thing succeed! I only wish I could fly out for its first event. It's not likely...

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Hoonatic Racing wrote:
EriktheAwful wrote:

+1

It is an older Caterpillar, and dont worry about my battery pack, I stole it from my work's emergency backup system. I took 3 batteries to give me the required 36v  and the lift's gauge read the amps at 1/2 charge. Each one of those batteries weighs 80 lbs.

I'll go back and get the lift, and make a little money at the scrap yard, but without Brandon's Chevy2500, looks like i'm back to "Old Reliable"
http://hphotos-snc6.fbcdn.net/192468_10 … 9919_o.jpg

I'm continually shocked by your emminently sensible and new (!) daily driver.

I always imagine you in a late sixties / early seventies piece of brokenness - something from Jensen Healy or Fiat.

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

That thing's gotta be rated for no more than, say, 200 Pound Tongue Weight/2000 Pound Towing Capacity. Just don't let the DOT guys catch you. wink

John, you're a man after my own heart. NEVER GIVE UP! NEVER SURRENDER!!!

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)

Thanks for the encouragement. I was really questioning myself this morning. Wondering if this will be too much for a knucklehead like me. I've had a few people tell me what I'm trying to do has never been done (in the world, let alone Lemons). I've had people tell me I'll make international news if I pull it off. It was stressing me to the point of physical sickness, but I reminded myself why I wanted to do this in the first place: fun. So, in the fun of it, I'm renting a climate controlled storage to work on the project (no more steep driveway), and buying a real tow vehicle tonight (E250 Diesel).

Speedycop wrote:

John, you're a man after my own heart. NEVER GIVE UP! NEVER SURRENDER!!!

Need a pickmeup? I know I do right about now. 1 week to go and 1 car still isn't caged. It runs with a jerry can and jumper battery, and there's rain in the forecast...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocnrPLKbkD0

Thank GOD you won't be towing with the Sentra any more. That had EPIC FAIL written all over it.

Of course, if you're in elementary school, "pickmeup" means something totally different.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/edu … s_homepage

72 (edited by Speedycop 2011-03-18 08:16 AM)

Cocaine is a helluva drug. big_smile

What movie was that from again?

Speedycop wrote:

Cocaine is a helluva drug. big_smile

What movie was that from again?

Wasn't that Rick James... or was it Dave Chappelle playing Rick James?

-Victor

Spank, if you can drive a Citroen from coast to coast, you can get the car finished in time.

I spent this weekend getting a tow vehicle in order, and a storage facility to house the junk, because a 2.5 car garage isnt big enough.
I have a deal to pick up this car next weekend in Dallas:
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/188473_190331914335976_135399186495916_426194_4682705_n.jpg

69 Datsun 311 Fairlady

It has some race history as you can see.