Re: Got the Go-ahead from HQ for my IoE idea

Pixie dust plumbing is problematic.

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

102 (edited by jagerbombracing 2011-03-28 06:48 PM)

I thought fairlady's were right hand drive?? A buddy of my brother had a 1600 that hauled ass!! and then there were the 2000's

1985 BMW 535i... one of the slowest builds ever!!!

jagerbombracing wrote:

I thought fairlady's were right hand drive?? A buddy of my brother had a 1600 that hauled ass!! and then there were the 2000's

This one is a 2000. Technically all "fairladies" were right hand drive as that was the name in japan. Here it was the Datsun Sport 1500/1600/2000. Its VIN is SRL311-01225. The L designates left hand drive. If it was JDM, the VIN would be SR311-01225, but Datsun was so lazy, they even forgot to put the L in some of the US cars.

Want to buy the U20 motor? Cheap: $200 I'll throw in the rare 5 speed trans for another $100.

The great thing ( or bad thing) about Datsun: they were so lazy at cataloging, there is no such thing as "numbers matching". You could throw this in a 67 1600 and have one of 1000 (but cloned 10000 times).

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Ok, no more teasing. Tomorrow night I will show you the donor motor.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Phew!  Now we can sleep!

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

just kidding!  I'd love to have that fairlady!  so cool!  do you know its racing history?

'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

DC Doug wrote:

just kidding!  I'd love to have that fairlady!  so cool!  do you know its racing history?

Nope. I know it sat in a Dallas yard for 10 years, and some Texas ranch for years prior.

108 (edited by DC Doug 2011-03-28 07:42 PM)

Is it framed or unibody (and, much rust?)?

I know you're working on something else, but it would be a really cool runner w/ a 302!

I'm assuming you've done some research already (so this is for everyone else) that I am now just learning about the car...

"The roadsters, especially the 1600 and 2000, became regular winners on the SCCA circuit, winning 10 national SCCA championships in the late 60's".

Long before the Mustangs and Corvettes, Bob Bondurant used Datsun Roadsters when he started his driving school.

http://www.zstoryz.com/wp-content/uploads/2005/09/20050912-bondurant01.jpg

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Bob is full of win!

DC Doug wrote:

Is it framed or unibody (and, much rust?)?

I know you're working on something else, but it would be a really cool runner w/ a 302!

I'm assuming you've done some research already (so this is for everyone else) that I am now just learning about the car...

"The roadsters, especially the 1600 and 2000, became regular winners on the SCCA circuit, winning 10 national SCCA championships in the late 60's".

it is a full body on frame car. It will get this stupid motor for a season or so, then it might get something faster, like a straight-8

I really want a title for the car so i can register it and make it road legal.
maybe i can get Sergio to do a mechanic's lien on it.

and yes, the Roadster was the Miata before the Miata.
the front sway bar on this car is the same size as the one on my 1-ton van.

as promised, here is the motor for the Fairlady:
11.5 kW of 36v DC Electric power!
That is right, it will be an electric LeMon, but first it must pass NEDRA tech, because evil geniuses are smart enough not to play will high amounts of electricity.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/198457_192478974121270_135399186495916_438370_3510614_n.jpg

What NEDRA class? This will be a mighty interesting build to watch.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

Do you have a speed controller that will do 11.5kw at 36v? 

Battery trays with quick disconnects?

I admire you for doing this im just baffled trying to think how many batteries you are gonna need to do this over 2 days.

Any plans for an onboard generator as backup charge/drive power?

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

Time to go seek sponsorship from Johnson Controls.

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

Hoonatic Racing wrote:

15 horsepower.  Ouch.

-Victor

15 horsepower out of 0 displacement. Therefore the title of this thread should naturally be: "Never before has so much power been made from so little displacement!"

Team FinalGear

118 (edited by DaveH 2011-03-29 03:56 PM)

sublimate wrote:
Hoonatic Racing wrote:

15 horsepower.  Ouch.

15 hp in a electric motor is different from 15 hp in a gasoline motor.  If you run the motor at the recommended voltage, that maximum power is made all the way across the rev range, so the amount of torque available is huge.  Torque is related to amperage, and motors generally have a maximum amperage rating.  You can raise the output power by raising the voltage, but you still get gobs of torque at 0 RPM.  That's why NEDRA (National? Electric Drag Racing Association) has cars running 11's at 100 mph.

That being said, are you bumping the voltage up?  Electric motors make torque proportional to amperage, and the max RPM is related to voltage.  You generally have to limit the amperage output at low RPMs (the controller does this by essentially limiting voltage), but by raising the voltage it allows you to maintain that maximum torque level to much higher speeds.  With enough voltage you pretty much get a flat torque curve nearly all the way through the rev range.  The failure mechanism when you do that is generally going to be burnt out brushes.  I'd replace those before you stick it in the car.

On the other hand, if you don't control the amperage, the failure mechanism is generally melted motor windings.  Speaking of which, what controller are you using?

How are you going to "refuel"?  Swappable battery packs?  One on the charger and one in the car?

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

You need to come up to MAM in Omaha or Autobahn in Joliet this year so I can see this BEAST!

Truthfully, I just want to have a car we can beat down a straight.  smile

Although, have the comments about the torque of electric motors, we may have an issue.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

John, this is really cool!

Can this be endurance raced?  I imagine you're going to have to build 'swappable' battery packs, no?  I'm wondering - for starters - just how much battery you can fit under a Fairlady (all jokes aside).  I'm thinking you might be able to post the fastest lap every hour, but only at one lap an hour.  :-(

the plan is to use the forklift controller this round @36v. we will roughly have a 30mph top speed, and we will swap batteries every 45 minutes to 1 hour. since this is my first electric car I'll leave it simple.
once we get a nice residual, I'll get a Curtis 72v controller and advance the timing 10-15 degrees. Get a 60mph top speed

the car will be slow, and it wont set any land speed records, but as far as i can tell, it will be the first ever endurance raced electric car.

PS I'm writing to a well known battery manufacturer for sponsorship

seems like you'll need at least 100-120HP to make this car move resonably well.

let's assume that you throw in 150% of the rated current in there. currently it sees 320amps. that would mean putting 480 amps across the motor.

to reach 100HP with a 480amp motor you need 155volts.

well, i guess that's not completely unreasonable. as far as the power capacity of the motor goes. 144 and 208volt packs are common in electric vehicles from what i understand.

what i don't get is how you're planning on refueling. unless we're talking about a series hybrid with a 2-3 cylinder 25-35hp diesel motor or something of the sort.

123 (edited by Marc 2011-03-29 06:05 PM)

Hoonatic Racing wrote:

the plan is to use the forklift controller this round @36v. we will roughly have a 30mph top speed, and we will swap batteries every 45 minutes to 1 hour. since this is my first electric car I'll leave it simple.
once we get a nice residual, I'll get a Curtis 72v controller and advance the timing 10-15 degrees. Get a 60mph top speed

the car will be slow, and it wont set any land speed records, but as far as i can tell, it will be the first ever endurance raced electric car.

PS I'm writing to a well known battery manufacturer for sponsorship

oh hell, that's a rolling chicane! I'm not convinced this is a very safe idea at all (and look who's saying that!)

*edit* you might be faster with a half dozen weed-wacker motors instead of this. and it would certainly be more amusing.

124 (edited by EyeMWing 2011-03-29 07:10 PM)

30mph? The tow truck laps quicker than that! On the plus side, you'll have really, really good brake lifetimes.

Team FinalGear

we'll pass everyone coming out of the turns, but quickly loose the lead