Re: Got the Go-ahead from HQ for my IoE idea

Hee hee  big_smile

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Obviously you're never going to do well in BS inspection with your inability to lie to us on a forum.   Luckily you have a car that will be so pathetically slow that you may be given laps.  As in POSITIVE laps.  smile

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

Hoonatic Racing wrote:

i tried reversing the polarity, but it spins the same direction regardless. There are additional terminals on the motor, i may pull it apart to see if it can be reversed.

Series wound - makes power, lots of it. does not reverse w/ polarity swap. Like a starter motor.
To reverse direction and retain efficiency may not be easy.
If you simply reverse the polarity on the field it may do the trick, but motor timing may suffer unless it's timed zero - which it may be. That ~might~ be what additional connections are for.
If not timed zero there may be a secondary position for the brushes that can go in conjunction with reversing the field.

so, the lift had a pump motor rated at 11.5 kW with a female splined shaft
This motor is in good condition, but i think it is spinning the wrong direction. it would suck to have 1 forward and 5 reverse.

The lift also has 2 traction motors each rated at 9.5 kW
they are normal male shafts with brakes on the tail end. I'm going to take some measurements tomorrow and see about removing the parking brake rotors and connecting them end-to-end
This would give me a 150 pound motor which, overvolted to 96v, should give the car a top speed of about 85MPH maybe even 100+

the male shafts may be easier to adapt, too

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Hoonatic Racing wrote:

This motor is in good condition, but i think it is spinning the wrong direction. it would suck to have 1 forward and 5 reverse.

Actually, that sounds pretty awesome. On paper, anyway.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

Hoonatic Racing wrote:

it was fun while it lasted.

I applaud your effort to actually post a picture.

El Capitan de Substandard Racing -  Houston, Tx
2009 Yee Haw! It's Lemons Texas: 1973 Gremlin - Gremwow!
2010 Gator-O-Rama: 1973 Gremlin - Gremlin Express, Lassiez le Crapheaps Roulette - Gremlin - Most Heroic Fix
http://substandardracing.blogspot.com/

PERFECT!  Make it a reverse drive car.  Front is back and back is front!  Opportunity is knocking.  smile

Hoonatic Racing wrote:

so, the lift had a pump motor rated at 11.5 kW with a female splined shaft

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

Do you have any information on the controller you pictured?  Is it a DC PWM unit or AC VFD?  The latter were more common on high starting torque applications (like lift pumps).

Let's make better mistakes tomorrow

komododave wrote:
Hoonatic Racing wrote:

One from a newspaper instead of a fire equipment vendor would have been better. Do newspapers still publish pictures of human misery in progress, or is that just TV?

Team FinalGear

insomnia sucks, so i'll update you on what little was done today:

i was hopping to remove the 2 traction motors and join them to make 1 large drive motor for the car. once i tore into the lift, i discovered they were 4.5kW each instead of 9.5kW. that would have given me 9kW total instead of 19kW. The pump motor is 11.5kW. looks like im sticking with the pump motor.

The pump motor is a counterclockwise rotation. this presents the problem of spinning the wrong direction. It is a series wound motor and can not be reversed by switching the polarity.

I called Brian of Property Devaluation to run some ideas. we discussed flipping the differential and overfilling it with oil, but the high torque the electric motor puts out would not be great for this. We also discussed chain and sprocket to get the motor to spin the right direction before it connects to the transmission, but that would be a lot of torque for my terrible engineering skills.

I then had the idea to turn the motor around and run the car off of the commuter end instead of the drive end. This would give me clockwise rotation, and would solve the issue of the female splined shaft on the drive end.

As i was looking at the motor to see how feasible this could be, Judge Scott called with some contact information. A friend of his, Curtis, is a forklift mechanic. I called Curtis and discussed my thought with him. He was optimistic. After describing the lift, he realized it is a fairly new machine. if i had an older one, it would have had 1 large traction motor (probably twice the size of the pump motor). oh well.
Curtis did tell me that my efforts to remove the fan from the CE with an impact driver was futile. He said it has either green or red thread lock on the screw and would need to be heated to 350?. Use MAPP gas! not acetylene!

so i'll take to the motor to work tomorrow and see if i can get the fan off.

in other news, i pulled about 10 lbs in 2/0 and 3/0 copper wire from the lift, an Anderson connection, the contactors and fuses, the pot box with go peddle and the NEDRA required power indicator light

http://hphotos-snc6.fbcdn.net/209779_193803347322166_135399186495916_445949_4228748_o.jpg

here is the video showing why the lift probably didn't work.
keep in mind this was after i had already blown air with the compressor through it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1XKZImUufQ

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

EyeMWing wrote:
komododave wrote:
Hoonatic Racing wrote:

One from a newspaper instead of a fire equipment vendor would have been better. Do newspapers still publish pictures of human misery in progress, or is that just TV?

I think human misery is more effective in color, so they save the good pics for TV or Sunday.

El Capitan de Substandard Racing -  Houston, Tx
2009 Yee Haw! It's Lemons Texas: 1973 Gremlin - Gremwow!
2010 Gator-O-Rama: 1973 Gremlin - Gremlin Express, Lassiez le Crapheaps Roulette - Gremlin - Most Heroic Fix
http://substandardracing.blogspot.com/

that looks like way more electronics than are needed for this. attach all three motors and hook it up as follows. just off idle, use a 100% duty cycle relay to fully power the first 4.5kW motor. a bit more throttle and you bring in the next 4.5kW. a bit further on the throttle and you bring in the 11.5kW motor for a total of nearly 30HP! smile

use the money saved on the controller to step up to 60V and have a worthy 50HP at that point.

going from 0-10hp may be a bit tricky around the pits, but it should be workable or get the crew to push you onto the track.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/208634_193925157309985_135399186495916_446824_4584801_n.jpg

Removed the fan from the motor and there is quite a bit of shaft with which to work.

164 (edited by Hoonatic Racing 2011-04-05 08:19 AM)

And like that, i'm getting a Open ReVolt 500A controller good for up to 144v!!!
Freeway speeds, here we come!
Within budget too.

Thank you Paul

Hoonatic Racing wrote:

Removed the fan from the motor and there is quite a bit of shaft with which to work.

Fans?  We don't need no stinking fans.

-Victor

I've got a 60 HP VFD sitting in my garage.  Been bouncing around the idea of building my own hybrid/electric vehicle.

Use batteries in series as DC bus, run the motor w/ a potentiometer attached to gas pedal.  Zero throttle would be maximum braking w/ the motor.

Good luck w/ this.

I only read the last page but if nobody else mentioned this, 144 DC volts w/ batteries would be a huge explosion when short circuited. Thousands of amps of fault current available.  Fuse accordingly and insulate the hell out of the stuff.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Hoonatic Racing wrote:

And like that, i'm getting a Open ReVolt 500A controller good for up to 144v!!!
Freeway speeds, here we come!
Within budget too.

Thank you Paul

NOW WE'RE TALKING! 60-80HP should be awesome in this thing.

I'm curious to see your swappable 144V pack now smile

168 (edited by Hoonatic Racing 2011-04-05 09:13 AM)

Marc wrote:

I'm curious to see your swappable 144V pack now smile

I think at this point, it would be faster to leave them in and plug into the 30 minute charger.
9 batteries at 28 lbs each with a grade 8 fastener on either side would take forever to unbolt and lift.

If I have the batteries arranged in 36v banks with Anderson connectors, I could series them in the car, but make a harness to parallel them on the charger. In theory it will work, but so does communism (in theory).

169 (edited by Mulry 2011-04-05 09:48 AM)

Hoonatic Racing wrote:

I think at this point, it would be faster to leave them in and plug into the 30 minute charger. 9 batteries at 28 lbs each with a grade 8 fastener on either side would take forever to unbolt and lift.

Horsefeathers. What you need to do is to build a removable tray to which the batteries attach. Affix the batteries in the car (like over the rear axle) in such a fashion that you can readily access and remove the tray. Mount the tray so that it slides in and out on discarded rollerblade wheels. Engineer a bolt-in solution that prevents the tray from leaving the vehicle unintentionally yet can be removed quickly for tray swapping. Maybe using 3/8" quick-release pip pins in double shear so that you can get them in and out quickly. This is something that you could build easily from angle steel. Go to your local used sporting goods store and you can pick up used rollerblades for a song.

Get another 9 batteries and build a second tray. Then build two rolling rigs that are sufficient to support the weight of the tray w/ batteries. Then you can swap the entire battery tray in mere minutes and be back out on the track while the other set is recharging on the 30 minute charger.

Or you could do it so that you don't need the rollerblade wheels if you have clear vertical access. Then you can come in, pull the pip pins, attach the cherry picker, lift one battery pack out of the way, move the cherry picker to the other tray, fly that into place, replace the pip pins, get rolling again. Other advantage to this is that you don't have to have the driver out of the car while "refueling," unlike the rest of us driving those gas-powered relics of yesteryear.

And communism doesn't even work in theory. Unless you're the one who's Lenin.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

New thought. Use ALL THREE motors. the two traction motors driving each of the front wheels and the pump motor hooked to a diff for the rear.

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

I only read the last page but if nobody else mentioned this, 144 DC volts w/ batteries would be a huge explosion when short circuited. Thousands of amps of fault current available.  Fuse accordingly and insulate the hell out of the stuff.

I have a 156V lead acid stack on an airplane at work. We've shorted them to chassis plenty o' times. The nice thing about that much power is that it will often melt the short to open pretty fast. The 270V shorts are even better big_smile  Though a car with big ass bus bars and cables is gonna take a lot more punishment than the cute little bundles of 20AWG we put on an airplane.

Team Wienerschmoker

Mulry wrote:
Hoonatic Racing wrote:

I think at this point, it would be faster to leave them in and plug into the 30 minute charger. 9 batteries at 28 lbs each with a grade 8 fastener on either side would take forever to unbolt and lift.

Horsefeathers. What you need to do is to build a removable tray to which the batteries attach. Affix the batteries in the car (like over the rear axle) in such a fashion that you can readily access and remove the tray. Mount the tray so that it slides in and out on discarded rollerblade wheels.

This doesn't look like it would pass NEDRA. However, putting the battery banks on one or two big plates, attaching lift-hooks, and using a couple of BIGASSED grade 8 bolts to fasten down the plates would pass. This is in addition to the grade 8's holding the individual battery straps to the plate.  Either thread the holes for these plate fasteners, or weld a grade 8 nut to the other side. Alignment holes and pins at the corners of the plates are also necessary to make sure this shit ends up in the right place.

This way, you aren't removing the individual batteries, and the only fasteners you have to undo aren't wedged up in between batteries, but are instead out on the edge.

A 'refuel' would work like this:
0) Disconnect the battery pack from the car.
1) Attack the fasteners holding down the plate with a pneumatic impact wrench. Even the most paranoid bolt layout shouldn't take more than a minute
2) Grab the lift-hooks with an engine lift. Heave the battery pack and its mounting plate out of the car.
3) Grab a charged battery pack with the engine lift, drop it into the car, taking care to use the alignment pins and holes.
4) Impact-wrench the plate fasteners back into their nuts/threaded holes
5) Connect battery pack to car.
6) Dispatch car
7) Rearrange the battery connections to a configuration acceptable to the charger
8) Charge the battery pack
9) Rearrange the battery connections to the in-car configuration.

Team FinalGear

Affix the batteries in the car (like over the rear axle) in such a fashion that you can readily access and remove the tray. Mount the tray so that it slides in and out

+1

I used to drive and maintain an electric stacker (stand-up forklift) that used this kind of setup. It had a 3/8" thick plate on the side that kept the battery pack in place. When it needed charging we would unplug the battery, pull the plate, and slide the battery pack out onto a rollerized stand where we could charge it. We didn't have a spare battery packthough. I would make a rollerized stand that could fit two battery packs side-by-side and make a port on the car the battery pack would insert through. I'd secure it with something more secure than a 3/8" steel plate - ours would get bent over time.

here's the other potential problem. let's say you're using 20HP on average out on the track. to stay on the track you need that much power going into the batteries constantly.

even before you account for innefficiencies of the charging system you're talking about a 67A @ 220V draw. realisticaly you're probably looking closer to 100A @ 220V just to keep you out there. and there's still the battery overheating issue potential.

where do you plan on getting this kind of power trackside?

Don't come up in here with your reasoning and logic. Just tell the man to build it, and worry about pesky details later. That's what the rest of us do. big_smile

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT