Re: Got the Go-ahead from HQ for my IoE idea

Awesome. And there is no possible way this can fail. smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Can't wait to see this thing run!

(I hope you saved one of my "Hooning" stickers for it!)

Team monstaRX-7: #91 1991 Mazda RX-7 convertible with a 5.0, WHAT COULD GO WRONG?
Races: 2010 Gator-O-Rama(DNF, blown motor, "Trailer on Saturday"), Oct 2011 Yee-Haw Its Lemons(actually finished the race! Judge's Choice)

Stang Man wrote:

yup. got one for the Sentra, one for the free candy van, and one for the Datsun

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Hoonatic Racing wrote:
Stang Man wrote:

yup. got one for the Sentra, one for the free candy van, and one for the Datsun

I'll try to remember to bring some more to the Dallas race, if you'll be there!

I think the Segways could use some, too.

Team monstaRX-7: #91 1991 Mazda RX-7 convertible with a 5.0, WHAT COULD GO WRONG?
Races: 2010 Gator-O-Rama(DNF, blown motor, "Trailer on Saturday"), Oct 2011 Yee-Haw Its Lemons(actually finished the race! Judge's Choice)

I'm so glad you are still plugging away at it!  I can't wait to see you race this thing.  Have you tested the controller with the motor yet?

Nice! You're doing it right.

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave
Scuderia Ignorante // Modena / Dearborn / Aichi Prefecture / West Texas

Well, I worked on it this weekend. It was a big push because busy season will start at work soon, and I'm expecting my first son in a few months.

Originally when I set out, I had a time frame of 1 year. Well a year has passed. I blame it all on my inability to purchase a quality used car. And by quality, I mean the ones with all the mechanicals in working order. The Datsun had no callipers, no differential, siezed master cylinders, and 75 lbs of rat shit. As I took off everything that was useless, what was left was a body and frame with a transmission.

I welded some .25" plate to the frame to box it and found that a Miata subframe had bolt holes just as wide as the Datsun frame rails. Perfect! As of today, I now have a fully functional independent rear suspension. The back end is on the ground on wheels for the first time in 10 months.
The front subframe is welded into place, but I need to make some shock tower tops and weld them into place.
This is the most complex build I have ever made as evident by the use of a center punch more times in one day then my whole life. I still need to run brake lines and find a new master cylinder to make it stop. I need to fab a hella-butt-scary steering linkage to make it turn. Then the is the mile of wiring...
I've already drawn a diagram and know how I want it all to work, but that is last on the list of things to do.

Well, maybe get the wheels aligned is the last thing to do... Right after "get a full set of lugnuts that are all the same size".

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

I only had half a day at the office and the baby is now 3 days overdue, so i worked on the car. what would you do?
I was hoping to atleast get it on all fours today for the first time in a year. To my surprise, I did that and then some.

The car now Rolls, Bounces, and Turns. granted, there are details to work out
the front end has the ride height of a stock Miata without a motor so it has positive camber and it's higher than the rear
it needs a major alignment
the steering column is held in place with a big C-clamp until i can figure out how i want it mounted
my steering modifications caused some toe out

Tomorrow i hope to have some semblance of stopping power
I need to cut the firewall to mount the new brake master and bend some brake tubing

should be fun

NEVER GIVE UP! NEVER SURRENDER!

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Today is a very important day for me. Not only did I accomplish this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DKQBKK7o9k but today is the  5 year anniversary of when I broke my back and had my spine grafted. 5 years ago, they told me I wouldn't walk and I was lucky to be alive. Not only did I mostly recover, but I spent my time contributing to society in the most obscure way.

shout out to Brandon in the video

time to bleed the brakes and take it around the block

my new tubing bender should be here next week, which I predict will be the worst investment I have ever made. Now, every $500 car really looks like a $500 race car.

I wonder if I can have it done in time for the Houston race in September?

even though it's slow, it's nice to see the first time the drivetrain comes together.

awesome!

Sweet!

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Hoonatic Racing wrote:

but today is the  5 year anniversary of when I broke my back and had my spine grafted. 5 years ago, they told me I wouldn't walk and I was lucky to be alive. Not only did I mostly recover, but I spent my time contributing to society in the most obscure way.

Happy anniversary!!

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Hoonatic Racing wrote:

Today is a very important day for me. Not only did I accomplish this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DKQBKK7o9k but today is the  5 year anniversary of when I broke my back and had my spine grafted. 5 years ago, they told me I wouldn't walk and I was lucky to be alive. Not only did I mostly recover, but I spent my time contributing to society in the most obscure way.

shout out to Brandon in the video

time to bleed the brakes and take it around the block

my new tubing bender should be here next week, which I predict will be the worst investment I have ever made. Now, every $500 car really looks like a $500 race car.

I wonder if I can have it done in time for the Houston race in September?

technically you should be taking the negative side off first....

/pedantic tongue

otherwise, this is hella sweet

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

took the car for a test drive (read: i hot wired a battery to get it 20 feet out of the garage) and discovered the propshaft is still too short. after a few seconds, the trans yoke pops out. time to put it in the drive shaft stretching machine and set for +1"

atleast the car is now themed.

I have the whole week off for vacation to finish this in time.
why do i have a feeling it still wont be enough time?

pic for posterity
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/332669_433680773334421_771698536_o.jpg

Hoonatic Racing wrote:

pic for posterity
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/332669_433680773334421_771698536_o.jpg

I had no idea you were giong to make it 4 wheel drive and off road capable.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Baron wrote:
Hoonatic Racing wrote:

pic for posterity

I had no idea you were giong to make it 4 wheel drive and off road capable.

Just wait until he puts 4,000 lbs of batteries in it. smile

turns out the shaft is big enough, but there is no support on the center section so it rotates downward under load and out pops the yoke.

time to make a diff support as the Miata one wont bolt to a Datson.

oh, and front brakes are done.

SpaceFrank came over and we ran all the high voltage lines
tomorrow, I'll run the 12v circuits.
Wednesday we should have the seat and belts mounted and construct the roof.

Have we considered a leaf blower charging system?  Max current at lower RPM = diesel alternator.  170 A @ 600 RPM.

This space for rent.

NSF wrote:

Have we considered a leaf blower charging system?  Max current at lower RPM = diesel alternator.  170 A @ 600 RPM.

alternator =13v DC
batteries =72v DC

there's not enough room for all those leaf blowers. besides, at that point, i could have just built a fan car

Easy pie -

Isolate the shield of the alt. ie no common ground.  Pick your favorite battery.  Measure the battery from Positive (+) to Negitive (-).   Even connected to your 72V system the potential between the two is 12VDC.  Hook your alt to these two poles.   using the Neg side to the shield and the positive to the output.  You will gain a 12 VDC trickle charger w/ 170 amps.

OR

Run a 12 V alt to run a DC/AC converter -  plug your charging source into the AC.  It'll work, I promise.

Think like an electron. 

Also, DC requires thick wires and spotless connections to be efficient. 
Copper not aluminum and bus bars are better than a bunch of wires.

I am excited to see this.

This space for rent.

DOUBLE E NERD ALERT!

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

NSF wrote:

Easy pie -

Isolate the shield of the alt. ie no common ground.  Pick your favorite battery.  Measure the battery from Positive (+) to Negitive (-).   Even connected to your 72V system the potential between the two is 12VDC.  Hook your alt to these two poles.   using the Neg side to the shield and the positive to the output.  You will gain a 12 VDC trickle charger w/ 170 amps.

You're going electric and making a new 72v regulator for the alternator isn't your first thought?