Re: Keep it a 2.2 4-pot?...

You will all be happy to know that Bettie will keep all her original glass, wiper, mirrors and such.

She's just getting a little power. And a 5 speed. And better brakes. And some new gauges. And maybe a new radio ..... the factory one is stuck on AM. All u get on AM in Texas is Glen Beck and Aggie baseball games..... oh, and some creamy pleather Jetta seats for the highway stints.....

I'm probably gonna do close to 4000 highway miles and 2 races in it. I'm not gonna suffer over a few pounds....

II still need 1 driver for buttonwillow if anyone is interested......

51 time Loser.

I'm interested for Buttonwillow. I wouldn't be able to get to the track until Friday evening - I'm returning from a business trip that day - but I could work on the car in SoCal on the weekend of June 22 if necessary. I know Mopar stuff pretty well and have tools/service manuals. I have many laps in at Buttonwillow in my team's neon.

Team Co-Craptain, Los Cerdos Voladores
Plymouth Neon
Yeah, we're horrible...but we're LEAST Horrible

I still haven't gotten clearance from work, but might be in for Buttonwillow. Will know on Thursday or Friday.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

29 (edited by X-args 2013-05-13 09:22 PM)

I submitted my request for Sophie... Check your email. Sophie sez *"Obi-wan you're my only hope!"*

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 142 races and counting.
2/25/24

keep the 4 cylinder. the V6 sucks. Grab a turbo motor and enjoy what constant boost can do.

I've got a spare TII ECU i can donate to the cause.

Hell, i've got random bits all over the place I can dontate. Just ask.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

31 (edited by psychoboy 2013-05-14 05:51 AM)

too late. watching brandon's and steven's facebook posts,  the 4 pot is out and the donor 6 is well on its way to being in.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

I like the direction this is going. A swap like this is all about the love (and cheater-aide) while it's going in. I am assuming it's from the 6G family of Mitsubishi V6's and it appears some loving dudes are doing it.

Can someone do the timing belt maybe, perchance, while it's out - if there's room in the budget? Beg, plead....

Captain of Virtuous Authority and Tool Underdevelopment: Escape Velocity Racing
- Ten+ Time Loser
- IOE, Heroic Fix, Class C and Class of 1964
- Heroic Beer Drinker

Gah. That old timing belt must feel like at home in there, keep it in. Live dangerously, enjoy every moment.

K Car Stalker

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/944462_10151694847412150_1653371487_n.jpg

5 races 4 engines.   At least she is consistent.
QUE: Speed Racer Theme Song
Go Steve & Brandon. Go!

This is as close to Lemons Truth as you will ever get.

This space for rent.

TheEngineer wrote:

keep the 4 cylinder. the V6 sucks. Grab a turbo motor and enjoy what constant boost can do.

I've got a spare TII ECU i can donate to the cause.

Hell, i've got random bits all over the place I can dontate. Just ask.

That's usually what happens when I see what boost can do...

-=Tom

-=HFC Tom

Is that a power steering pump and other random unnecessary crappolah on that motor?....

K Car Stalker

firegremlin wrote:

Is that a power steering pump and other random unnecessary crappolah on that motor?....

Wellll - the donor motor came out of Frank the Tank's old Lemons Whip.   

That team is kinda girly.  big_smile

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

Team Sensory Assault wrote:
firegremlin wrote:

Wellll - the donor motor came out of Frank the Tank's old Lemons Whip.   

That team is kinda girly.  big_smile

Damn Scott, i just cleared up a lil space in my girlie garage for you but since its not manly enough ill just have to put some girlie car in it like that really girlie Aston Martin i picked up. Oh well, i guess ill go drown my tears in my girlie ass swiming pool in my backyard.....

2011 Organizers choice at Garrapatas Peligrosas GP as a Rookie team! 2011 Yee-Haw its Lemons Scruffy Nerf Herder 1991 Dodge Daytona IROC Shelby R/T Charger, 2012 Yee-Haw its Lemons 1972 RX2 IOE WINNERS!!!!, 2012 North Dallas Hooptie the arrival of JUDGE FRANK! 2012 Gator-rama in the 1977 Mustang II, 2012 Season Ender the HONORABLE JUDGE FRANK! 2013 BFE GP in the K-Car and an I Got Screwed Award

firegremlin wrote:

So power steering no, but idle air control and O2 sensors yes....

2011 Organizers choice at Garrapatas Peligrosas GP as a Rookie team! 2011 Yee-Haw its Lemons Scruffy Nerf Herder 1991 Dodge Daytona IROC Shelby R/T Charger, 2012 Yee-Haw its Lemons 1972 RX2 IOE WINNERS!!!!, 2012 North Dallas Hooptie the arrival of JUDGE FRANK! 2012 Gator-rama in the 1977 Mustang II, 2012 Season Ender the HONORABLE JUDGE FRANK! 2013 BFE GP in the K-Car and an I Got Screwed Award

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/972129_572295406148339_1471366142_n.jpg

This space for rent.

41 (edited by firegremlin 2013-05-14 07:10 PM)

frankdtank00 wrote:
firegremlin wrote:

Oh, hell yeah. I have plenty of muscle to turn tough steering wheels (I daily-drive an LT1 Roadmaster with an unboosted 2.5 ratio Impala SS steering box), but I can't telepathically convince the computer to adjust fuel mixture on the highway. Nor can I convince it to adjust idle according to outside air temperature, elevation, and engine temperature, all of which will vary a LOT during my drive over the Rockies, for example.

Besides, contrary to popular belief, driveability aids like o2 sensors and IAC help A LOT on the track. I'm never ripping mine out ever again. You spend a lot of time idling or cruising along, surprisingly (like, braking, yellows, sitting in a cloud of dust after a spinout, etc).

A working 02 sensor will keep the ECU from running pig-rich. This saves you some gas, but more importantly it'll keep said gas out of your oil. Gas in oil = higher chance of engine block becoming a cupholder.

Finally, a non-working IAC coupled with a loose battery clamp or any other problem that'd prevent you from restarting after a stall can mean a difference between driving in for a black flag after a crash/spinout, and getting towed in.

I know everyone likes the simplicity and the appeal of rough-running "race motor" that has nothing but bare essentials, but you're not really gaining any significant advantages in terms of clutter control, and the disadvantages are plenty.

Damn, I sound like my mother.

K Car Stalker

Wait till you go over the mountains.  You'll be rich like crazy.

This space for rent.

Sounds like someone needs a turbo for dem mountains. 

How do you change the needle valve in an IAC?  Can I get a rebuild kit for that ECU?

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

firegremlin wrote:
frankdtank00 wrote:
firegremlin wrote:

Oh, hell yeah. I have plenty of muscle to turn tough steering wheels (I daily-drive an LT1 Roadmaster with an unboosted 2.5 ratio Impala SS steering box), but I can't telepathically convince the computer to adjust fuel mixture on the highway. Nor can I convince it to adjust idle according to outside air temperature, elevation, and engine temperature, all of which will vary a LOT during my drive over the Rockies, for example.

Besides, contrary to popular belief, driveability aids like o2 sensors and IAC help A LOT on the track. I'm never ripping mine out ever again. You spend a lot of time idling or cruising along, surprisingly (like, braking, yellows, sitting in a cloud of dust after a spinout, etc).

A working 02 sensor will keep the ECU from running pig-rich. This saves you some gas, but more importantly it'll keep said gas out of your oil. Gas in oil = higher chance of engine block becoming a cupholder.

Finally, a non-working IAC coupled with a loose battery clamp or any other problem that'd prevent you from restarting after a stall can mean a difference between driving in for a black flag after a crash/spinout, and getting towed in.

I know everyone likes the simplicity and the appeal of rough-running "race motor" that has nothing but bare essentials, but you're not really gaining any significant advantages in terms of clutter control, and the disadvantages are plenty.

Damn, I sound like my mother.

This!  On our RX7, we have all fo the stock controls on the car.  The only thing we don't have is some of the emmissions items.  It is a lot better burning 5.8 GPH than 7 GPH!  Idleing is a good ability to have also!

Who needs power steering?

Ghetto motorsports - Car #555 1980 Mazda RX7 (3x winner of BFE GP / 1x 2nd place of BFE GP...BOO!)
Car #350 78 Chevy Malibu (Least horrible Yank Tank, Heroic Fix) (Gone)
Car # 556 1987 Mazda RX7 (6th place MMC 2013) (1st place Capitol Offense 2013)

^^^ Try 12 GPH in the FD.  hmm

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

No one needs power steering.

also, 12GPH?! holy hell. I thought the 5GPH we were burning was bad....

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

47 (edited by psychoboy 2013-05-15 07:14 AM)

properly sorted power steering only comes in handy in parking lots. once the car has any useful speed, assist just makes the steering feel sloppy.

and, because someone always responds with the fact that "major league race cars (notably f1) have power steering" when i make the above comment online....

F1 cars have power steering. they also have gumballs for tires, aero that causes the car to weigh twice as much at speed, and a steering ratio of about 1 turn lock to lock. when my "race car" with its 200 treadwear tires and 3.5+ turns lock to lock, starts doubling its weight at 50 mph...i'll consider putting power steering back in it.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

I'll let Mechimike answer this in greater detail, but I thought the LTD got better fuel burn with a 460 in it.

K Car Stalker

firegremlin wrote:

Gas in oil = higher chance of engine block becoming a cupholder.

Only when running one of those weird, non-two-stroke engines.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

firegremlin wrote:

I'll let Mechimike answer this in greater detail, but I thought the LTD got better fuel burn with a 460 in it.

We calculated our fuel burn rate at a little less than 10 GPH.  Yeah, we had an engine with more displacement than 3 plastic Coke bottles, but the rear end ratio was like 2.76:1.  I'd wager the 460 made more power than the FD rotary, too.  According to our drag strip times, we calculated approximately 280 RWHP when it was tuned up.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["