Re: The Eagle has landed. Repeat, the Eagle has landed. Pics!!!!!!

I'd be all about a turbine engine.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Re: The Eagle has landed. Repeat, the Eagle has landed. Pics!!!!!!

Speedycop wrote:

It's ALIVE! Had it running for about 5 minutes yesterday. I tried easing the clutch out in 1st gear, and it moved. Later, when I went to restart it, I couldn't get spark. It has a custom 4 sensor crank trigger and 4 MSD boxes, so diagnosing it in sub-freezing temps proved difficult. Still no spark an hour later, and we were too cold to continue. It sounded loud and mean, but at least one rotor was misfiring.

video or it didn't happen! we disbelieve aaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!



kidding! would love the video tho.

Re: The Eagle has landed. Repeat, the Eagle has landed. Pics!!!!!!

We tried to restart it to get video.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

79 (edited by EriktheAwful 2010-12-10 07:55 AM)

Re: The Eagle has landed. Repeat, the Eagle has landed. Pics!!!!!!

You can eliminate one MSD box and keep it handy as a spare without any power loss. I'm assuming the motors are locked together? If so and they're timed to TDC together, you can run the entire ignition off a 12A distributor, 3 MSD boxes, and 8 coils, or maybe even less. If you have more trouble with the crank trigger, let me know and I can give you more info and even send you a spare 12A distributor.

Re: The Eagle has landed. Repeat, the Eagle has landed. Pics!!!!!!

Since it has plates, can't you look up the registration to see what it was called?

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

Re: The Eagle has landed. Repeat, the Eagle has landed. Pics!!!!!!

Rotaries are notorious for flooding when you start them and shut them down without letting them fully warm up.  Not saying that it wasn't a spark problem but since it's freezing out right now this could be a likely candidate.

Speedycop wrote:

It's ALIVE! Had it running for about 5 minutes yesterday. I tried easing the clutch out in 1st gear, and it moved. Later, when I went to restart it, I couldn't get spark. It has a custom 4 sensor crank trigger and 4 MSD boxes, so diagnosing it in sub-freezing temps proved difficult. Still no spark an hour later, and we were too cold to continue. It sounded loud and mean, but at least one rotor was misfiring.

Re: The Eagle has landed. Repeat, the Eagle has landed. Pics!!!!!!

NewbernD wrote:

Rotaries are notorious for flooding when you start them and shut them down without letting them fully warm up.  Not saying that it wasn't a spark problem but since it's freezing out right now this could be a likely candidate.

Many a morning I sat with all four plugs pulled, turning the motor over and over until it cleared itself enough to run. I still miss that car sometimes....but not on cold mornings with weak apex seals.

-=Tom

-=HFC Tom

Re: The Eagle has landed. Repeat, the Eagle has landed. Pics!!!!!!

Speedycop wrote:

It's ALIVE! Had it running for about 5 minutes yesterday. I tried easing the clutch out in 1st gear, and it moved. Later, when I went to restart it, I couldn't get spark. It has a custom 4 sensor crank trigger and 4 MSD boxes, so diagnosing it in sub-freezing temps proved difficult. Still no spark an hour later, and we were too cold to continue. It sounded loud and mean, but at least one rotor was misfiring.

NewbernD wrote:

Rotaries are notorious for flooding when you start them and shut them down without letting them fully warm up.  Not saying that it wasn't a spark problem but since it's freezing out right now this could be a likely candidate.

^^this.  i'm willing to bet you flooded it.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

84 (edited by Skunkworks 2010-12-10 01:48 PM)

Re: The Eagle has landed. Repeat, the Eagle has landed. Pics!!!!!!

Holy Crap!! I saw this thing on Ebay when it was listed and thought,"that would be awesome!"  Then I got busy and never gave it another thought.  I had no idea someone else from Lemons bought it until today.  That is so freakin' awesome!!  Good Luck.

1982 Renault LeCar "Pepe"
2010 Gator-O-Rama rollover
2010 North Dallas Hooptie IOE Winner!!

Re: The Eagle has landed. Repeat, the Eagle has landed. Pics!!!!!!

Speedycop wrote:

I'd be all about a turbine engine.

I'll look around. A good helicopter engine can easially be mounted the an automatic transmission. Put a gear reduction unit (if not already equipped) and a high stall converter. You're good to go. Problem with noise though.

But the awesome would outweigh the loss of hearing.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Re: The Eagle has landed. Repeat, the Eagle has landed. Pics!!!!!!

Riktor wrote:
Speedycop wrote:

I'd be all about a turbine engine.

I'll look around. A good helicopter engine can easially be mounted the an automatic transmission. Put a gear reduction unit (if not already equipped) and a high stall converter. You're good to go. Problem with noise though.

But the awesome would outweigh the loss of hearing.

There's a small(ish) turbine engine regularly listed in the south NJ CL auto parts section.   Just sayin.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Re: The Eagle has landed. Repeat, the Eagle has landed. Pics!!!!!!

JThw8 wrote:

There's a small(ish) turbine engine regularly listed in the south NJ CL auto parts section.   Just sayin.

Problem with that one is it is a starter motor and not designed for sustained use. Exceeding 15 minutes run time can usually lead to failure.

Now if he were to find a APU from a C-130 or other similar direct drive unit. That could be workable.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Re: The Eagle has landed. Repeat, the Eagle has landed. Pics!!!!!!

Riktor wrote:

Problem with that one is it is a starter motor and not designed for sustained use. Exceeding 15 minutes run time can usually lead to failure.

That sounds perfect for LeMons!   smile

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in LeMons has won an IOE!"

Re: The Eagle has landed. Repeat, the Eagle has landed. Pics!!!!!!

CowDriver wrote:
Riktor wrote:

Problem with that one is it is a starter motor and not designed for sustained use. Exceeding 15 minutes run time can usually lead to failure.

That sounds perfect for LeMons!   smile

Failure at 5k with a piston engine is one thing. Failure at 20k with a centrally spinning turbine is another. Granted it will undoubted be the oil seals that go first but it could cause the engine to sieze and shed a few of its blades.

Even one inch titanium blades carry a lot of momentum at 20k.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Re: The Eagle has landed. Repeat, the Eagle has landed. Pics!!!!!!

Riktor wrote:
CowDriver wrote:
Riktor wrote:

Problem with that one is it is a starter motor and not designed for sustained use. Exceeding 15 minutes run time can usually lead to failure.

That sounds perfect for LeMons!   smile

Failure at 5k with a piston engine is one thing. Failure at 20k with a centrally spinning turbine is another. Granted it will undoubted be the oil seals that go first but it could cause the engine to sieze and shed a few of its blades.

It's sounding better and better!   smile

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in LeMons has won an IOE!"

Re: The Eagle has landed. Repeat, the Eagle has landed. Pics!!!!!!

See if you can find a Rhinemetal turbine engine. Their engineer assured us they're designed to implode upon failure. Engineers are never wrong.

92

Re: The Eagle has landed. Repeat, the Eagle has landed. Pics!!!!!!

Speedycop, I'm the guy who came over with Mark the other week to take a look at it.  I've been swamped with a ton of things but I will try to get you the video we took when we got it running for a few seconds with the starting fluid.

Sorry I haven't gotten it to you sooner, I haven't even hooked my camera up to the computer to grab it off of there I've been so busy.  sad

Also sorry to hear about the kidney stone, I've had a few of them and they are no fun.  I'm glad it passed and you're on the mend.

Re: The Eagle has landed. Repeat, the Eagle has landed. Pics!!!!!!

Thanks! I'll I had it running pretty well for like 5 minutes, and now that I want video of it, it won't spark. Arrgh!

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Re: The Eagle has landed. Repeat, the Eagle has landed. Pics!!!!!!

Speedycop wrote:

Thanks! I'll I had it running pretty well for like 5 minutes, and now that I want video of it, it won't spark. Arrgh!

Spark is overrated, this just gives you an excuse to figure out how to make a diesel rotary...no spark needed.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Re: The Eagle has landed. Repeat, the Eagle has landed. Pics!!!!!!

Not that i had any doubts after seeing the Wartburg in person, but holy shit you're some kind of fucking genius, Jim!

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

Re: The Eagle has landed. Repeat, the Eagle has landed. Pics!!!!!!

I think he prefers the term Visionary.

Silent But Deadly Racing- Chief cook and bottle washer, Former Flyin Turd Race Team Captain 
Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird Turbo Coupe, Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie
Besmirching race tracks in the Eastern US since 2001

Re: The Eagle has landed. Repeat, the Eagle has landed. Pics!!!!!!

has there ever been a diesel rotary?

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Re: The Eagle has landed. Repeat, the Eagle has landed. Pics!!!!!!

yes there was a diesel rotary.  It didn't work that well (sealing is an issue).

I thought in order to compete in a lemons race, teh car had to be a production car under a certain weight.  Does this THING hit either of these targets?

Don't get me wrong, it is awesome, but doesn't this open the door for homemade specials that are straight up racecars?

I can't wait to see it on track!  (Maybe the shenandoah circuit!!!???!!)

Ghetto motorsports - Car #555 1980 Mazda RX7 (3x winner of BFE GP / 1x 2nd place of BFE GP...BOO!)
Car #350 78 Chevy Malibu (Least horrible Yank Tank, Heroic Fix) (Gone)
Car # 556 1987 Mazda RX7 (6th place MMC 2013) (1st place Capitol Offense 2013)

Re: The Eagle has landed. Repeat, the Eagle has landed. Pics!!!!!!

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

I think he prefers the term Visionary.

I always thought idiot savant was more accurate.

wvumtnbkr wrote:

yes there was a diesel rotary.  It didn't work that well (sealing is an issue).

I thought in order to compete in a lemons race, teh car had to be a production car under a certain weight.  Does this THING hit either of these targets?

Don't get me wrong, it is awesome, but doesn't this open the door for homemade specials that are straight up racecars?

I can't wait to see it on track!  (Maybe the shenandoah circuit!!!???!!)

This is a very special case.  Think of it as an oddball exhibition car with special blessing from Jay.  Your average homebuilt special aint gonna make it past Jay.  But if you have something unique and unusual you can always ask for an exemption.

Also with speedycops track record (*cough* thunderbird *cough*) I think Jay is assuming it wont be on the track long wink   J/K SC, you know I love ya.

Now tell me more about this diesel rotary, I was just kidding around.  Man the compression levels on something like that musta requred magic apex seals.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

100 (edited by JBgotM 2010-12-15 11:00 AM)

Re: The Eagle has landed. Repeat, the Eagle has landed. Pics!!!!!!

wvumtnbkr wrote:

yes there was a diesel rotary.  It didn't work that well (sealing is an issue).

I thought in order to compete in a lemons race, teh car had to be a production car under a certain weight.  Does this THING hit either of these targets?

Don't get me wrong, it is awesome, but doesn't this open the door for homemade specials that are straight up racecars?

I can't wait to see it on track!  (Maybe the shenandoah circuit!!!???!!)

The car basiaclly meets none of the requirements to enter the event....but! there is one thing it does have. It has the approval of Lemons just because of the spectical of the whole thing, and teh fact that it will certainly be uncompetitive for the win on laps.