Re: Hella Shitty 911 and AVI$ Aveo battle for a top 3 at Thunder Hill!

No apology needed Spank. But thanks for offering one!

drKorf wrote:
zadar wrote:

How about leading race overall, called in for black flag you don't know why, judges don't know why, you get out but now 3 laps down?
It is part of the game I guess smile

Yeah, it's weird, like they wanted some other team to win. It's a good thing this isn't real racing.

Haha! They have favorites for sure, but they don't (or I believe they don't) move things around so one team in particular can win.  What they do on occasion is flag a car they regret not giving laps to.  It has happened to us twice, and I'm fine with it, I call it our 'performance award' for being awesome. It is just for fun anyway.  Hell, the last time I went through tech I was told point blank, " A-O, but if you get close to winning... You won't." I laughed because I knew we would finish around 100 anyway.  We really are horrible drivers, and we did just that.  Sure had a blast though.

shouldnthave wrote:
drKorf wrote:
zadar wrote:

How about leading race overall, called in for black flag you don't know why, judges don't know why, you get out but now 3 laps down?
It is part of the game I guess smile

Yeah, it's weird, like they wanted some other team to win. It's a good thing this isn't real racing.

Haha! They have favorites for sure, but they don't (or I believe they don't) move things around so one team in particular can win.  What they do on occasion is flag a car they regret not giving laps to.  It has happened to us twice, and I'm fine with it, I call it our 'performance award' for being awesome. It is just for fun anyway.  Hell, the last time I went through tech I was told point blank, " A-O, but if you get close to winning... You won't." I laughed because I knew we would finish around 100 anyway.  We really are horrible drivers, and we did just that.  Sure had a blast though.

It never occurred to me that our black flag at the end of day 1 while leading, could have been an equalizer.  The funny thing was, we were not ahead much at all, the next 6 in line were within a lap or so, and they really took there time with me at the black flag station.  We had zero black flags until this one 20 minutes from the end of day 1, we have NEVER bribed the Gods in charge, and we are, after all, driving a Daewoo to a top 5 in most races we enter.  Hmmmmmm.  Very good point.  Like you...good thing this is not real racing!  LOL.

I would say that our 3 solid year contribution to the Bank of Lemons with a minimum of 4 races per year, should be enough Koolade to keep us from the heat.

I would prefer to consider that some random flag person thought there was contact and fingered us as we squirted through the scattering pack...and the Lemons Gods were just following what was reported.  Bad luck for us...but that's just how it works some times.

https://youtu.be/gnsyS0fLKx0

Hysterical!

I don't think anyone in Lemons cares enough about where any of us finish to worry about throwing mystery black flags.

Wendell34 wrote:

I don't think anyone in Lemons cares enough about where any of us finish to worry about throwing mystery black flags.

I bet you're right about that!  It would be one hell of a party in Vegas if we won one of these things however!

33 (edited by shouldnthave 2015-10-13 09:23 PM)

Wendell34 wrote:

Really? I'm sure you're right...

Spank is right, when the world hands you posters of babes and a grip of stones, you toss them at random people until someone makes you lemonade. That was the takeaway there, right?

Interesting smile
3 teams (in this thread) black flagged out of the lead on day 1.

zadar wrote:

Interesting smile

Also a good point...

Renegade wrote:
zadar wrote:

Interesting smile

Also a good point...

Ever had a 'star' written on your tech sheet when you turned it into the tower? We have both times (and only those times) we have been given a performance award. Like I say though, real or imagined, we always have a blast. Ultimately we are the reason we fail. Either it's due to us killing the car (most likely), or we get real black flags for missing a yellow. Sure is fun though.

Nope, A-0 all the time, never had penalty laps. Car is as stock it can be, other than wheels. Even those are stock from another model.
And it is bmw, Renegade will run circles around it all day long with pos rent a car smile

shouldnthave wrote:
Renegade wrote:
zadar wrote:

Interesting smile

Also a good point...

Ever had a 'star' written on your tech sheet when you turned it into the tower? We have both times (and only those times) we have been given a performance award. Like I say though, real or imagined, we always have a blast. Ultimately we are the reason we fail. Either it's due to us killing the car (most likely), or we get real black flags for missing a yellow. Sure is fun though.

I highly doubt that there is any conspiracy in place that lessens the chances of winning for a team, especially if that one that hasn't won before.

Now the dyno at the end of the day at Thunderhilll to the top 5 teams was a pretty awesome way of leveling the field and showing all the teams that a couple of multi winners on the west coast were not cheating, they were just good drivers who stayed out of the penalty box.

'13  Sonoma - Class B Crown Vic, 14 Sonoma IOE - Race Rambler!, Autobahn Class C+IOE #Racevan!, '15 Thill IOE Winner - Omega!, '16 Ridge - IOE - Avanti!, '17 THill Class C Winner - Omega, Butt IOE - Race 411, Sonoma IOE - Aztek '18 Butt - IOE - Allante, MSR - IOE - '41 Olds - '19 Butt-Class C - Allante, '20 Covid, '21 THill-Class B - Omega, Sonoma - IOE and HWG  - Satellite, '22 Sonoma - HWG-Tojan

Here is another reason why we seem to miss the illusive podium.  Pretty big hit by the exiled Donuts team at Sears early this year.

https://youtu.be/D0tEwCRiWHM

Ouch...

You guys get very excited... smile smile

'96 Dodge Neon, a.k.a. "Neon Pope" - 20 Lemons races - 1 Class B win

Renegade wrote:

Here is another reason why we seem to miss the illusive podium.  Pretty big hit by the exiled Donuts team at Sears early this year.

Ouch...

I see that as you got chopped, not that they necessarily hit you.

Preventable if your driver would have lifted and/or braked. Donuts kinda telegraphed that it was going to happen.

Happens to us quite frequently. You were in the blind spot and they thought they were by you sufficiently, I'd say.

Spank wrote:
Renegade wrote:

Ouch...

I see that as you got chopped, not that they necessarily hit you.

Preventable if your driver would have lifted and/or braked. Donuts kinda telegraphed that it was going to happen.

Happens to us quite frequently. You were in the blind spot and they thought they were by you sufficiently, I'd say.

I also wonder if that crash would have even happened if he were fully focused on driving instead of yammering on. I know I have to keep the chatter down to a minimum so I can watch for things exactly like that. Maybe it's because I come from a motorcycle background though. I enjoy the silence. 

Just an FYI, if you get hit and and you're feeling too excited to sit quietly in your car, stop and repair the car first. The judges will understand you needed to repair the car before you drove over, and it will give you plenty of time to cool off. It actually speeds up the process a bit because you don't get the double whammy of pissing off the judges and waiting longer for the penalty. Food for thought.

I wouldn't go fix your car before serving your penalty. If Jay is doing the race he will absolutely rip you apart.  Maybe other judges don't care on the left coast.  In the Midwest we would get tarred and feathered for going to the pit first.  YMMV

As for that last video, if I had a car scream by me on the inside, I wouldn't immediately try to repass them on the inside under braking.  Especially if I know they are faster.

Still, it sucks to get break and lose a podium due to it.  The car looks loads of fun to drive.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

I wouldn't go fix your car before serving your penalty. If Jay is doing the race he will absolutely rip you apart.  Maybe other judges don't care on the left coast.  In the Midwest we would get tarred and feathered for going to the pit first.  YMMV.

Really? On the East coast the tow truck drivers drop a crashed cars at the penalty box instead of at their pit? That sounds crazy to me. How do you get the car back to your pit from the PB? Push it? What if it's missing a wheel?

I was talking a driving car that was involved in an incident.  Sorry.  Not a completely broken car towed in not due to a driver error.

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

I was talking a driving car that was involved in an incident.  Sorry.  Not a completely broken car towed in not due to a driver error.

I'm really not trying to mince words here, honest. I'm only trying to be totally clear on a point you made.  If a car is disabled due to detonation it can go to the pit, but if it was disabled due to driver error (a crash of some sort) only then will the disabled car be dropped in the middle of the PB by tow trucks? Is that a correct statement? The tow trucks just pile up cars missing wheels, whilst spilling fluids all over the pattock so Jay doesn't get mad at them for a delay in his punishment?

Or could it possibly make more sense to stop in your pit to make sure the car can actually make it back onto the track before oiling the entire pattock?

See, I strongly believe that getting the car checked out for the safety of every racer on the grid far outweighs Jay's wrath with the time it takes me to get the same punishment I was going to get anyway. Oddly, he has always agreed with that point.   

Now, if I were to crash my car, go to my pit and spend 20-infinity minutes to fix it, and I didn't stop into the PB on my way back out onto the track, then I could understand him getting upset. 

I'm only making this point in a contact BF type situation. ANY other BF and it's straight to the PB before you even think of picking your nose.

I hope that clears up what I was trying to say.  Sometimes I skip over parts in my mind, so it tends to comes out convoluted.

I think we're probably splitting hairs.   Driver X makes contact with Driver Y.  Both are black flagged.   Driver X's car is bent but driveable and is brought in under its own power.  It's not on fire or leaking fluids.  Driver X should stop to talk with Jay prior to bending out sheet metal or fixing stuff.  Driver Y unfortunately hit a wall.  His car is brought in on the hook. His car is dragged to his paddock space.  Driver Y walks over to talk with Jay.

I think we're thinking the same, just varied circumstances.

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

Driver X's car is bent but driveable and is brought in under its own power.  It's not on fire or leaking fluids.

This is the part we don't yet see eye to eye on. How does he know his car is ok? Does the driver know that tracking 300+ more feet with said busted-ass hooptie will not endanger not only his life, but everyone around him? How does he know the fuel line has not been knocked to the back of the wheel?

I simply can't think of a single scenario where a crashed car needs a stern talking to before a thorough evaluation is all. Secondly, if that evaluation also allows the driver a few minutes to gain some retrospective on his asshattery, then it's a bonus for the team and Jay/ all of Lemons.  We all know by now a driver/employee/human taken out of the natural defensive response is more likely to be open to other ideas.

shouldnthave wrote:
TeamLemon-aid wrote:

Driver X's car is bent but driveable and is brought in under its own power.  It's not on fire or leaking fluids.

This is the part we don't yet see eye to eye on. How does he know his car is ok? Does the driver know that tracking 300+ more feet with said busted-ass hooptie will not endanger not only his life, but everyone around him? How does he know the fuel line has not been knocked to the back of the wheel?

I simply can't think of a single scenario where a crashed car needs a stern talking to before a thorough evaluation is all. Secondly, if that evaluation also allows the driver a few minutes to gain some retrospective on his asshattery, then it's a bonus for the team and Jay/ all of Lemons.  We all know by now a driver/employee/human taken out of the natural defensive response is more likely to be open to other ideas.

I'm with TeamLemon-aid on this. There's been plenty of times (too many as far as I'm concerned) that our car has been involved in some kind of contact where there was clearly 0-minor damage, so no immediate need to go "inspect." Additionally, who's to say if your paddock is actually closer to the track than the judge's area. If you're drive-able but leaking the judges cans see that and know that you've just left a trail from the track exit to the judges area, and nowhere else. Easy to send a clean-up crew. Whereas if you've driven all over the paddock to get to your pit, who knows where you've leaked fluid.

And finally, if I were a judge, I'd want to see you in your "driving state" of emotions. If you can't keep your cool going straight to the penalty box after contact then that's a good indicator to the judges that maybe it's time for a driver swap because you're getting a little too amped out there.

So for all those reasons, the logical thing in my mind is to Not Pass Go, Not Collect $200, but go straight to "jail".

Having little experience with the Lemon's box, and knowing how smooth and perfect things were going, the frustration level was quite high when nobody was there to discuss the collision. Hey...it takes a lot of balls to share some of these videos knowing it wasn't one of our prouder moments!  Lol...

Donuts was sincerely apologetic right after the impact.  Furthermore, where the impact happened on his car was all the way up into the front passenger door.  If I could have avoided his abrupt move to the apex, I certainly would have.  At the approach to that corner, I was pretty hard under braking, and setting up the double apex.  There wasn't a whole lot more I could have done.

Yes, we chatter a lot.  It actually  relaxes us quite a bit.  The "yammering" might annoy you, but our team has frequent discussions at speed, and it never hinders our performance.  Just look at the carousel and the discussion going on at speed.  There is no loss of talent at 8/10ths while talking.