Topic: Hella Shitty 911 and AVI$ Aveo battle for a top 3 at Thunder Hill!

Some funny video of the AVEO and the 911 battling for B class top three at Thunder Hill.  Cold tires first lap flat out, then the heat is on.  Stupid behavior during yellow flags becomes an issue.  Hella Shitty Racing with their hot-shoe and competent pilot,
Philipp von Weitershausen, does a great job at taking advantage of a few little mistakes I make in traffic in the Avi$ Aveo.  Keep watching in the  camera's rear view mirror and you can see all that is going on quite clearly.  Great fun!!!  Also...watch for (almost) flat out in turn 1 when the track is clear.

https://youtu.be/Y3v8XcudOpU

Aveo is still for sale!  Let's call it $3500 with one completely new set of rubber (tires), a few extra sets of rims and year old used 200 treadwear tires, seat and belts included...essentially it's ready to race.  To give you an idea of costs to run, an "A" arm is $20, bearings are $40, rotors are $20, tires are $85 each, it sips fuel, and it doesn't use oil,.  It has a massive oil cooler, every race it's gets Mobil-1, Hawk Blue's on fronts, best built cage in Lemons, new Hawk belts, adjustable driver's seat, Odyssey battery upgrade, and and and.  If you are interested, call me...Scott...805-857-4001.  Car located in Las Vegas.

Re: Hella Shitty 911 and AVI$ Aveo battle for a top 3 at Thunder Hill!

Ok so why was he getting so upset at the other cars slowing for the emergency workers?  Isn't it required that you slow down?

" the only good thing hipsters have brought about is the canning of non crappy beers"

3 (edited by Renegade 2015-10-10 07:32 PM)

Disco wrote:

Ok so why was he getting so upset at the other cars slowing for the emergency workers?  Isn't it required that you slow down?

NOPE...and these examples almost became a HUGE accident.  When my car came to a complete stop for a brief moment, watch in the rear view mirror for a car that locks up and almost hits the car behind me.

Yellow flag does not mandate over-slowing and/or stopping.  It only discontinues passing, and indicates to the driver that there is a hazard in or around the track ahead.  If the drivers need to slow slightly to get around the hazard, that's perfectly fine...but ONLY if they need to and only at the actual incident.  Single file at predictable speed is what is best for a yellow flag situation.  (I will slow more in respect and appreciation for course workers that are not wrapped in a cage like we are...but just a little more.  They don't want you stopping either.  A chain reaction pile up is NOT what they want to clean up)

Why people slow and stop is based entirely by their street experiences and behaviors.  We all slow down and proceed with caution when there are lights or warning signs, as our laws have dictated.  It is highly dangerous to have the same behaviors on a track when you typically have cars less than a car length apart bumper to bumper in a race.  If you have one lead person jumping on the brakes for a yellow flag that has not been spotted by the followers as of yet, you have the potential for a grotesque pile up.

In the case of a full course yellow, there is usually a slower pace that is adopted by the field and this is generally because everyone knows you can't pass, and the field can take a breather.  However, I have seen full course yellows where one car is traveling at 15mph and holding up the pack.  This is dangerous for several reasons.  When it goes green, you have quite the potential for a pile up in the next turn when the pack is set free, you have hot cars that are traveling at very slow speeds increasing the potential for fire, and you have incoming cars that meet the back of the pack with much higher speeds.

My take away from this video is that it shouldn't have gotten to me so badly.  I am usually an emotionless driver, but this was so over-the-top stupid, and I reacted accordingly...stupid.  I don't care that people see my mistakes or my drama.  If anything, the ridicule that I might get will help me make better non-emotional decisions next time.  No matter, it's only Lemons Racing and that's truly the best part!

Actually you are wrong. This is what rule says. Clearly you suppose to slow down.

Yellow: Caution
On yellow, NO PASSING! There's something dangerous ahead. Stop racing, pay attention to your surroundings and the situation ahead, and proceed in single file at a reasonable pace. BE SURE YOU'RE IN SINGLE FILE AND WELL BELOW RACING SPEED BY THE TIME YOU REACH THE STATION! Remain in single file at a reasonable pace until you reach a manned station that's not showing yellow. are safely past the incident(s).

With that said I do agree with you but this is not real race series. We had long conversation with official about this when we got black flagged for it. Our whole team was made of 20+ year motorcycle racers where we don't slow down for yellow flags, you just keep going but no passing, especially when you see what problem is. We also use every inch of the track and pass really close sometime. If you left room where I can fit you bet I will take it. We are very comfortable doing this. Unfortunately some people around us are not and we did hurt some feelings smile. There are to many that are not racers and not capable of been on top of everything and they are not aware of what is going on around them. This is why there are so many collisions in this series.
We are trying to be better about it and are improving with time (hopefully we don't piss off to many in mid time). It is not easy to run fast pace, fight for win and not be in full race mode when you very comfortable doing it.

That was a whole bucket of awesome. I love how you take T1. Except the first one... sad

Race: 2012 Vodden; 2013 Pointless, EMP, Vodden, Freeze; 2014 Vodden, Freeze; 2015 Vodden, Loudon, Freeze; 2016 Pointless, Discomfort, Vodden, Sweat; 2017 Turrible
Staff: 2017 Pointless, Vodden, Freeze
http://yousuckatracing.wordpress.com

Why people slow and stop is based entirely by their street experiences and behaviors

Untrue in this case.

I was right in front of and then behind this battle driving the Iron Flutterby Miata.  The stopped traffic near the wrecker going up the hill was because the safety workers signaled for a car 3 or 4 in front of you to stop so the Mustang could safely roll back on to the track, as can be seen at 47:30 in my in-car video: https://youtu.be/RUvWjr_O3Y4?t=47m15s

It's not obvious what's happening at 48:40 - but the Metro is obviously signaling to me to not pass and there's a yellow flag for some reason there.  Having not obviously passed a caution incident or a flag station without a yellow flag, I don't pass the Mustang while the Aveo is right behind me.  Why the Mustang hits the brakes, I don't know.  And then the pass on me (three wide with the Mustang) is a little iffy.  Since I was an arrive and drive in the Miata, I backed way out...

So perhaps a little less agro driving would be nice.  Especially around emergency vehicles.

zadar wrote:

Actually you are wrong. This is what rule says. Clearly you suppose to slow down.

Yellow: Caution
On yellow, NO PASSING! There's something dangerous ahead. Stop racing, pay attention to your surroundings and the situation ahead, and proceed in single file at a reasonable pace. BE SURE YOU'RE IN SINGLE FILE AND WELL BELOW RACING SPEED BY THE TIME YOU REACH THE STATION! Remain in single file at a reasonable pace until you reach a manned station that's not showing yellow. are safely past the incident(s).

"...Well below racing speed...", "...Reasonable pace..." and people crawl or even stop with verbage like this.  I am well aware of the rules, but slowing to 20mph, or stopping, is not the intent of the rules.  Yes, this series is NOT chocked filled with experienced individuals like you and I, however, where does it say we can't teach better practices?  Every driver's meeting, since early this year, yellow flags have been discussed.  Contrary to the written rules, Jay has suggested that a local yellow will be enforced until after the incident, instead of waiting until the next active flag station.  Why can't a second brief suggestion be made that over-slowing through a local yellow could be dangerous.

If you re-read my previous post, I did use simular qualifying language, just like the rules, regarding conduct within a local yellow.  A local yellow assigned to alert of a car way off track and parked, shouldn't garner any speed change, hence my choice of words.  Then, with regards to a higher value confrontation, including cars close to, or on track, and any presence of course workers, I did say to slow and proceed single file, did I not?

Again, it's Lemon's Racing, but it could also be a great launch pad for others to learn.  Why can't we teach better practices early?

Just sayin'...

Sometime there is just to many cars and it is chain reaction, one slows down, next one slows more and 10 cars later you have to stop.

brownMINI wrote:

Why people slow and stop is based entirely by their street experiences and behaviors

Untrue in this case.

I was right in front of and then behind this battle driving the Iron Flutterby Miata.  The stopped traffic near the wrecker going up the hill was because the safety workers signaled for a car 3 or 4 in front of you to stop so the Mustang could safely roll back on to the track, as can be seen at 47:30 in my in-car video: https://youtu.be/RUvWjr_O3Y4?t=47m15s

It's not obvious what's happening at 48:40 - but the Metro is obviously signaling to me to not pass and there's a yellow flag for some reason there.  Having not obviously passed a caution incident or a flag station without a yellow flag, I don't pass the Mustang while the Aveo is right behind me.  Why the Mustang hits the brakes, I don't know.  And then the pass on me (three wide with the Mustang) is a little iffy.  Since I was an arrive and drive in the Miata, I backed way out...

So perhaps a little less agro driving would be nice.  Especially around emergency vehicles.

Then this was the exception to the rule.  If the course worker stopped traffic, then I too would have been happy to comply.  However, to often over-slowing or stopping is a problem in yellows.  Many have commented on this before.  Am I truly in the minority when I suggest this could be a safety issue?

drKorf wrote:

That was a whole bucket of awesome. I love how you take T1. Except the first one... sad

I have thousands of laps on the original layout, so turn one is my favorite!  Brainard turn one is almost the same, and I have tons of time there as well.  Thanks!!!!

It is but there is no much you can do. Did you do last year Thunderhill with 200+ cars?
I came around turn 6 and all sudden there were cars parked on exit of it, 4 wide. I barely stopped and avoid hitting anybody. Yellow flag was on other side of the hill, past turn 9.
It is chain reaction, to many cars.

...And with regard to this footage and the three wide pass, I'm sorry if you felt it was not in good taste.  I don't see a problem, honestly.  Help me understand where I may have done better by you.

https://youtu.be/RUvWjr_O3Y4?t=47m15s

zadar wrote:

It is but there is no much you can do. Did you do last year Thunderhill with 200+ cars?
I came around turn 6 and all sudden there were cars parked on exit of it, 4 wide. I barely stopped and avoid hitting anybody. Yellow flag was on other side of the hill, past turn 9.
It is chain reaction, to many cars.

Yes...and it was a blast!  There were some pucker moments on a new track for so many, but it still had an overall decent pace!

14 (edited by brownMINI 2015-10-11 06:48 AM)

Renegade wrote:

...And with regard to this footage and the three wide pass, I'm sorry if you felt it was not in good taste.  I don't see a problem, honestly.  Help me understand where I may have done better by you.

https://youtu.be/RUvWjr_O3Y4?t=47m15s

Three wide going into a turn is just generally a bad idea.  I knew you were coming and from behavior of your car behind me I was pretty sure you weren't going to back off, so I did.  No real problem in this scenario.  But that move could have turned sour easily for you.

And I still wonder why you are saying "if the course worker stopped traffic" when that is exactly what happened.

My impression of your driving after re-watching both videos is that you are too involved in your battle with Ferkel to make good decisions about other things going on around you (for an endurance race).

Renegade wrote:
drKorf wrote:

I have thousands of laps on the original layout, so turn one is my favorite!  Brainard turn one is almost the same, and I have tons of time there as well.  Thanks!!!!

Not sure if you missed the other point of my message, but had the track stewards been paying attention, they would have thrown a black flag at you for leaving the pits and ignoring the blend line. You almost apexed T1. Looks like the track behind was pretty clear but rules is rules and it was specifically mentioned in the drivers meeting. You're obviously an experienced, fast, and safe driver, but it's a worthwhile reminder to novices that there is no speed you can drive that will catch up to the time lost from a black flag

Race: 2012 Vodden; 2013 Pointless, EMP, Vodden, Freeze; 2014 Vodden, Freeze; 2015 Vodden, Loudon, Freeze; 2016 Pointless, Discomfort, Vodden, Sweat; 2017 Turrible

drKorf wrote:
Renegade wrote:
drKorf wrote:

Not sure if you missed the other point of my message, but had the track stewards been paying attention, they would have thrown a black flag at you for leaving the pits and ignoring the blend line. You almost apexed T1. Looks like the track behind was pretty clear but rules is rules and it was specifically mentioned in the drivers meeting. You're obviously an experienced, fast, and safe driver, but it's a worthwhile reminder to novices that there is no speed you can drive that will catch up to the time lost from a black flag

Again, thanks for that, but I studied multiple pit exits from the tower while spotting for a teammate.  Just like in the 25 hours, the flag workers see the blend line for what it is...a place to blend.  Granted, the discussion at the drivers meeting did reference the potential enforcement, but since it was clearly safe to blend, I'm sure they chose to ignore any enforcement as they did multiple times before.

That said...

Honestly, This was a very good point on your part.  In the case of an endurance race, a black flag can certainly ruin a victory.  Although my decision to cross the line was a calculated risk, it was, in fact, a risk.  In hindsight, I probably should have maintained my blend line longer just to avoid any drama.  Thanks for the lesson...

In another thread, I provided a link to a series of laps prior to a wrongful black flag where we were leading in class.  We were accused of contact, yet a second car never materialized.  Again, black flags are a game changer, and wrongful black flags have their own special place in my mind.

https://youtu.be/zIjvLcst-l0

This is precisely why I use Lemon's as a place to start my customers in wheel to wheel racing.  Between Spec Miata, Spec 944, and Lemons, these series are brilliant ways to expose a beginner to race-craft.  Much can be learned at slow speeds with huge fields of cars and loads of track time.  As indicated above, I continue to learn myself.  Again, thanks!

Keep in mind all, this is a 103HP, Korean, budget box.  It's a Daewoo with Chevy badging.  As you can tell by the horrible lack of power, momentum and very late braking is my friend.  If I am side by side with two others when entering a braking zone, I know they will grab the brakes way before I will and I will squirt out of the pack and into an empty corner.  Once I exit the corner, I get consumed by the higher HP cars, but this is the only advantage to our little AVEO.  If I hesitated at every braking zone and gave up my momentum in every three wide situation, I would add 10 to 20 seconds per lap.  If, however, I was to get my nose in a place it didn't belong, I usually had the presence of mind to keep my nose clean like this at 07:23:

18 (edited by brownMINI 2015-10-11 12:42 PM)

I'll let the three wide pass go, it wasn't that big a deal.

The main reason I posted my video was to show you why the cars in front of you were stopped on track while under a yellow flag.  I had the same "why is everyone going so slow?" going through my mind when I went past the cloud of dust.  There was very little track between that and the next incident, but apparently enough for some cars, mainly the ones behind you, to build up enough speed that they almost caused more carnage when they came upon the stopped traffic (for a caution that had been there for two laps and had two safety vehicles on site).

Renegade wrote:

Keep in mind all, this is a 103HP, Korean, budget box.  It's a Daewoo with Chevy badging.  As you can tell by the horrible lack of power, momentum and very late braking is my friend.  If I am side by side with two others when entering a braking zone, I know they will grab the brakes way before I will and I will squirt out of the pack and into an empty corner.  Once I exit the corner, I get consumed by the higher HP cars, but this is the only advantage to our little AVEO.  If I hesitated at every braking zone and gave up my momentum in every three wide situation, I would add 10 to 20 seconds per lap.  If, however, I was to get my nose in a place it didn't belong, I usually had the presence of mind to keep my nose clean like this at 07:23:

It almost seems like you're pedaling mid-way down the straights. Not exactly a great advertisement for a car you're trying to sell, but if I didn't just buy a Yaris, that thing would have appealed to me.

I saw that BS BF you got in the other video. It's amazing what the corner workers see, don't see, and mis-see. I need to try my hand at that to gain a bit of sympathy. In the last race, we had one driver get hit 3 times in one stint and no BFs were thrown. The driver also put 4 off a couple times without penalty. They did stop us for water coming out of our cool suit reservoir though. If they're picking and choosing, a suspected fuel leak is the most important thing, so that's good.

How about leading race overall, called in for black flag you don't know why, judges don't know why, you get out but now 3 laps down?
It is part of the game I guess smile

I have to say, there's a lot about the videos I see posted from "top level" teams here that frustrates me as someone who's only got a half-dozen races under my belt and is still getting a handle on this stuff.

For 1, the complete disregard for the blend line is disturbing. In the safety meeting that point was pretty well stressed: don't cross it. Plain and simple, no interpretation needed. Yet both entering and racing this video shows the blend being essentially non-existant.

For another, the aggressive attitude towards cars slowing for yellows. Generally just disappointing to see in a series that I thought was supposed to renounce that kind of thing.  Clearly something out of the ordinary was happening at a point in the track where there's a dramatic speed change to begin with. Why it such a surprise to people, especially when coming up on it AGAIN the next lap, that the cars are once again slowed?

And last, and most frustrating, though not shown in this particularly video, is the apparently flexibility of the "you go off, you come in," rule. Time and again I have seen both on track and in videos people go 2, 3, or all 4 off and a) not go immediately in to the judges box and b) not get black flagged for it.

Clearly I'm paying too much attention to the judges and rules during the drivers meeting. I guess I just won't bother going next time, sleep in a little bit more and just do whatever the heck I want out there.

aaron.vogel wrote:

I have to say, there's a lot about the videos I see posted from "top level" teams here that frustrates me as someone who's only got a half-dozen races under my belt and is still getting a handle on this stuff.

For 1, the complete disregard for the blend line is disturbing. In the safety meeting that point was pretty well stressed: don't cross it. Plain and simple, no interpretation needed. Yet both entering and racing this video shows the blend being essentially non-existant.

For another, the aggressive attitude towards cars slowing for yellows. Generally just disappointing to see in a series that I thought was supposed to renounce that kind of thing.  Clearly something out of the ordinary was happening at a point in the track where there's a dramatic speed change to begin with. Why it such a surprise to people, especially when coming up on it AGAIN the next lap, that the cars are once again slowed?

And last, and most frustrating, though not shown in this particularly video, is the apparently flexibility of the "you go off, you come in," rule. Time and again I have seen both on track and in videos people go 2, 3, or all 4 off and a) not go immediately in to the judges box and b) not get black flagged for it.

Clearly I'm paying too much attention to the judges and rules during the drivers meeting. I guess I just won't bother going next time, sleep in a little bit more and just do whatever the heck I want out there.

Just wanted to say you aren't alone.

But I also understand that people are racing.

And I'm just as frustrated seeing the behavior of my cars out there on track in other peoples' videos. Particularly, I need to apologize to brownMINI for the behavior of the red MG Metro at 37:40-38:00 in the video you linked https://youtu.be/RUvWjr_O3Y4?t=47m15s

It is indeed very possible that it was I who was in the car at that time.  I remember there were moments that weekend in the brief times I was on track where I was trying to facilitate a smooth pass with a pointby or whatever but for unclear reason it went worse than I envisioned and I often literally threw my hands up and was like, "Go ahead, do what you want". 

Again, not sure if that was me in the video there but I want to say a huge THANK YOU for slowing and recognizing a potentially dangerous situation with my car that was in front of you. Not real sure what happened there or if I was the one driving, but the car should not have shot from left to right in front of you, no matter what the situation was. Totally not cool.

zadar wrote:

How about leading race overall, called in for black flag you don't know why, judges don't know why, you get out but now 3 laps down?
It is part of the game I guess smile

Yeah, it's weird, like they wanted some other team to win. It's a good thing this isn't real racing.

Spank wrote:

Just wanted to say you aren't alone.

But I also understand that people are racing.

Thanks Spank, I appreciate that.

It almost seems like you're pedaling mid-way down the straights. Not exactly a great advertisement for a car you're trying to sell, but if I didn't just buy a Yaris, that thing would have appealed to me.

It's not a powerful car by any standards, hence my late braking and momentum approach.  However, if I'm going through turn one faster than just about everyone, then that speaks volumes for the handling.

There is a shift light in the car set at 5500rpm.  You never see it light because the team is so careful with the engine.  I usually shift at 5000 with an occasional blast to 5200.  All the torque is found within our 4 to 5k gear window anyway.  There are a few corners that put the AVEO out of its torque band and it's not happy.  At Buttonwillow, Chuckwalla, Sears, and Miller, this car flys!

Fuel economy is where this car also excels.  We are driving 2.5 hour stints on the stock 12 gallon tank.  With a fuel cell, you could theoretically drive the second day (6 hours) in one stint on fuel economy mode...or just wait for a full course yellow for a splash and go sorta stop.