Topic: Exhaust gasket material

I need to find some sheet material to make a replacement gasket.
What can I use?

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Re: Exhaust gasket material

Home Depot has roofing copper.  2 layers of that work pretty well but it can be a pain to cut if it is the manifold side.  If the manifold is nice and square you could probably go without.

I used aluminium cans and cardboard , and cardboard and aluminum foil and a lot of orange gasket rtv.

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

I made a 2-stroke head gasket out of a cheerios box and peanut butter expecting it to last a few minutes at most.

When I took the bike apart 10 years later I was stunned to see what looked like a cheerios box staring back at me. "What the hell is THIS? And who in their right mind... oh wait..."

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Chunky or creamy peanut butter?

Daniel Sycks

dsycks wrote:

Chunky or creamy peanut butter?

I believe it was Safeway brand chunky natural style (where you had to mix the oil back in) but with the nutty-bits removed and eaten.

IIRC, it was suggested to me by an old timer who insisted the peanut oils were the secret to making emergency gaskets. For some reason I associate this with Model-A's so the info may be dated.

IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

7 (edited by dsycks 2011-07-03 02:19 PM)

I am stunned as I would think that some of the modern synthetic oils available in todays processed peanut butters would have superior performance characteristics to old school organics.

If you were shopping at Sams and not Whole Foods I think your car would hold together better and you would not have had to limp it home after the race in Oregon.

Daniel Sycks

Copper RTV.  What else do you need???

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

racinrob wrote:

Copper RTV.  What else do you need???

This.

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

dsycks wrote:

I am stunned as I would think that some of the modern synthetic oils available in todays processed peanut butters would have superior performance characteristics to old school organics.

If you were shopping at Sams and not Whole Foods I think your car would hold together better and you would not have had to limp it home after the race in Oregon.

Touche' ha-ha-ha!

The piece I need is not for the manifold, it's for the down pipe.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Copper RTV will work great there too.

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

We use metal clad gasket material from NAPA.  Coat both sides of the newly formed gasket with hi-temp black rtv.  That combination has held for 40 hours of racing so far...our problem was the mating surfaces were not perfectly flat and we kept burning through the gasket.  We milled them flat, added the rtv...problem solved.

It's a holiday so I can't get the part #...if you can't find it, write back and I'll call our local store for the #.

I've fixed a leaking head gasket with copper RTV.  The stuff is just that good.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

I think the secret to leaking headers is start in the center and make circles as you work to the ends.  I seem to remember that the spec on MOPAR is around 30-35 ft lbs - two passes.  I just tighten them w a solid wrist turn because my tourque wrench never fits.  I have had to plane more than one header.  The head - not so much.

b

This space for rent.

fel pro gasket...pro-ramic 121...#2498...12"x28"x3/64

https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Cata … 8&An=0

We got the generic sheet stuff from a local parts store (Kohlweiss) and that work great for the down-pipe to everything after it.  We didn't use it between the manifold to the down pipe (the KA motor uses a crush washer there.

A good parts store can order a sheet for you.

If its not broke fix it till it is...

There is a ceramic exhaust sealant that we have used in a couple places on a turbo installation (that fried the turbo).

We got it from Kragen or Autozone or someplace like that. I couldn't find it in an online search, but if you go to the store you should be able to find it. It squeezes out like watery tooth paste, but you just lay on a good thick layer and then bolt everything up and let it dry for a couple hours/overnight. it sets up hard and gets harder when it gets hot. We used it on steel to steel interfaces (exhaust manifold to turbo adapter plates) that were not nearly flat and it worked great, sealed them right up.

its a permanent resident in our our repair supplies now.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

A slant six in a Dart I was DD-ing for awhile had this nasty habit of eating those manifold-to-downpipe gaskets.  Every couple of weeks I was putting in a new one.  I kept this up for a while as the gaskets were cheap and easy to replace.  But finally, when it became apparent that I just was not going to get a good gasket, I bought a brass switch plate for a light switch from Home Depot, drilled out the exhaust hole and two bolt holes, and put it in.  Never had a problem with it leaking after that.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["