Topic: See you in Buttonwillow... CHEATERS!

Junkyard Bilsteins, eh? No problem... if you're driving a Kia. Otherwise, start sweating!

Re: See you in Buttonwillow... CHEATERS!

MurileeMartin wrote:

Junkyard Bilsteins, eh?

Is that not believable?

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Riktor wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

Junkyard Bilsteins, eh?

Is that not believable?

I spend a lot of time in junkyards, and finding decent Bilsteins in a junkyard is sort of like finding a Sex Pistols 8-track in the thrift store. Hardly ever happens, but really makes your day.

Yet, somehow, Lemons racers- particularly those who drive E30s- usually manage to find their local junkyard virtually paved with Bilsteins. Not that we don't believe their stories, mind you, but our BS antennae get much more sensitive when we hear about the alleged junkyard origins of such parts during an inspection.

But show up in a Sephia and we won't even make you stop for inspection- rubber-stamp time!

easy math will prevail!

$500 car-- race #1

after race value -- $250

Add $250 worth of upgrades (and or repairs)

$500 value -- race  #2

after race value -- ~ $300

add $200 worth of (mostly repairs) and upgrades

$500 -- value - race #3

after race value $200

add $300 worth of MUCH NEEDED repairs.

and on and on.

A seasoned Lemons car can have quite a bit of goody on it, legally if you look back at the pedigree.

Having B-steves, upgraded suspension components, etc. shouldn't be a red flag if the vehicle has been to the front line and fought the battle over numerous tours of duty.

5 (edited by Riktor 2009-08-13 02:47 PM)

MurileeMartin wrote:
Riktor wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

Junkyard Bilsteins, eh?

Is that not believable?

I spend a lot of time in junkyards, and finding decent Bilsteins in a junkyard is sort of like finding a Sex Pistols 8-track in the thrift store. Hardly ever happens, but really makes your day.

Yet, somehow, Lemons racers- particularly those who drive E30s- usually manage to find their local junkyard virtually paved with Bilsteins. Not that we don't believe their stories, mind you, but our BS antennae get much more sensitive when we hear about the alleged junkyard origins of such parts during an inspection.

But show up in a Sephia and we won't even make you stop for inspection- rubber-stamp time!

Okay... Well this car is being well documented and it was purchased with Koni combo... but you won't see this monstrosity until Houston... next year. big_smile

(edit: I forgot the vette has the bilsteins... the pontiyota hybrid is all koni)

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

We really want to see a Lemons Corvette, so (if it's wretched enough) we'll probably won't be excessively ball-busting on the BS inspection.

MurileeMartin wrote:

We really want to see a Lemons Corvette, so (if it's wretched enough) we'll probably won't be excessively ball-busting on the BS inspection.

Fortunately it is wretched enough...

Unfortunately you all won't see it til either late next year or even later. Funding is going into the Fiero.

Sons of STIG

Riktor wrote:

Unfortunately you all won't see it til either late next year or even later. Funding is going into the Fiero.

As long as you have your priorities straight.

As for the rest of you, the lash!

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

MurileeMartin wrote:

Junkyard Bilsteins, eh? No problem... if you're driving a Kia. Otherwise, start sweating!

Way back when I was junkyard cruising for SHO parts and guess what I found? 4 Konis for $100. So it CAN happen, but not very often. BTW, those Konis are on my daily driver. Really.

Maybe black spray paint will fool us!

MurileeMartin wrote:

Wiat?! It won't?

Anyways, I still don't follow the "clean means new" ideal. I am pretty maticulous when it comes to building cars. Not matter how potentially crappy they may be. I like to break everything down and clean it to make sure the pieces are servicable... and yet i have the feeling if I do such a thing to alot of the parts we are using... our team will get knocked for it.

I don't want penalty laps just cause I am a neat freak.

Sons of STIG

MurileeMartin wrote:

How about Monroe blue?

sergio wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

How about Monroe blue?

neon freakin pink might do too. Make it so intense it blinds them...

Sons of STIG

The as it has been called cheater jag. By those who don't know any better is here and ready to go

Pendejo wrote:

The as it has been called cheater jag. By those who don't know any better is here and ready to go

Wait wait wait... doesn't that fine British machine have a V12? Everyone knows you can't get an XJ-S for less than 10 grand! 5,000 penalty laps! 10,000! We're going for the record!

Riktor wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

Wiat?! It won't?

Anyways, I still don't follow the "clean means new" ideal. I am pretty maticulous when it comes to building cars. Not matter how potentially crappy they may be. I like to break everything down and clean it to make sure the pieces are servicable... and yet i have the feeling if I do such a thing to alot of the parts we are using... our team will get knocked for it.

I don't want penalty laps just cause I am a neat freak.

I have to  second this (except for the spelling).. I am very thorough in my work, regardless of the $ spent. Clean does NOT have to = NASTY, but so far we get dinged every time for having the mechanicals clean. Who wants to work on a gooey car? How do you know if the goo is new goo old goo during the race?

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Spinnetti wrote:

I have to  second this (except for the spelling).. I am very thorough in my work, regardless of the $ spent. Clean does NOT have to = NASTY, but so far we get dinged every time for having the mechanicals clean. Who wants to work on a gooey car? How do you know if the goo is new goo old goo during the race?

I guess we just have to hope during out testing that it will get dirty enough to warrant overlooking. Probably not though...

*preps to bring alot of 'gifts' for the judges*

side note: The nested quotes are an irritation. Any chance the webmaster can fix that? It should be an option.

Sons of STIG

Geez, after race residual - everyone gets this gimme? We actually wrecked our car into the wall at Stafford, an E30, and Jay gave us a residual of $400. I thought I was doing good - but reading this thread - others are getting better. Why is Jay giving generous residuals? I thought everyone got $500 residual unless there were race circumstances. I guess I am mistaken.

Anyway, Bilsteins. I just got a used set of Bilsteins and lower springs and LSD (which turned out to not be an LSD but we are using it as it is a better ratio) and control arms, and front steering rack, and for wheel hubs with calipers, for $250. So, we have $100 of Jay residual and we have about $150 of parts to sell - window motors (that we did not sell the first time). So, it is VERY possible to get an E30 with Bilsteins and lower springs for a $500 budget.

'86 E30, '09 Stafford Aug, '10 CMP Feb, VIR Apr, Summit Jun,  CMP Sep
             '11 CMP Feb, Rock Mar, Charlotte Apr, Summit Jun
'68 MGB '11 NJMP Apr (winner IOE)

scrowner wrote:

Geez, after race residual - everyone gets this gimme? We actually wrecked our car into the wall at Stafford, an E30, and Jay gave us a residual of $400. I thought I was doing good - but reading this thread - others are getting better. Why is Jay giving generous residuals? I thought everyone got $500 residual unless there were race circumstances. I guess I am mistaken.

Anyway, Bilsteins. I just got a used set of Bilsteins and lower springs and LSD (which turned out to not be an LSD but we are using it as it is a better ratio) and control arms, and front steering rack, and for wheel hubs with calipers, for $250. So, we have $100 of Jay residual and we have about $150 of parts to sell - window motors (that we did not sell the first time). So, it is VERY possible to get an E30 with Bilsteins and lower springs for a $500 budget.

Uh huh... they'll knock you for it.

Sons of STIG

SGW_SAM wrote:

easy math will prevail!

$500 car-- race #1
after race value -- $250
Add $250 worth of upgrades (and or repairs)
$500 value -- race  #2
after race value -- ~ $300
add $200 worth of (mostly repairs) and upgrades
$500 -- value - race #3
after race value $200
add $300 worth of MUCH NEEDED repairs.
and on and on.

A seasoned Lemons car can have quite a bit of goody on it, legally if you look back at the pedigree.

... and after 4 or 5 races, you have a $2,000 race car.  Therein lies a significant inequity with the residual value rule.  Longevity should not be a means to have an unfair advantage.

"Age only matters if you're a cheese."  Helen Hayes

21 (edited by professional.dreamer 2009-08-15 07:56 AM)

scrowner wrote:

... and another inequity is that one car may get a $200 valuation when a second, identical (or even worse shape) car gets $499.99.  As you can see, I'm not a huge fan of the residual value rule.  You either have a $500 crap-can race car or you don't.

"Age only matters if you're a cheese."  Helen Hayes

Yeah, but you forgot the bullshit rule....show up with a too-well-sorted car (especially an E30) and you can start negative, regardless of the mathematics....bring a rotten Kaiser Henry J you can power it with a J79 and they'll pass you....

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

hehe....my sorted e30 is a 1986, 325e, saloon, automatic. Our team is sticking to the $500 rule. Stafford was our first race and the BS judging really seemed odd - too easily passed. We had real documentation. We picked the car because it was a saloon and had more stuff to sell from it. Our BS experience with Jay has him only concerned with the differential as we cleaned it to try to get the speedo working. Jay never lifted to hood. He did start out saying "Oh, here we go, the first E30" with a negative twang. But we had the docs at $507 and got 1 lap penalty.

But my concern is the residual. Is this a favorites scheme? I can easily see that it is and will be abused. I do agree that our car will get better as time goes on if we can keep it running. It really should not be the case that a crap can can with more races become a more solid race car. Our car took some damage and $100 seemed fair but maybe it was too generous.

'86 E30, '09 Stafford Aug, '10 CMP Feb, VIR Apr, Summit Jun,  CMP Sep
             '11 CMP Feb, Rock Mar, Charlotte Apr, Summit Jun
'68 MGB '11 NJMP Apr (winner IOE)

How about 4 races of dirt, oil and grime on shocks?  Work better than black paint?

Team Oly Express
Current car - 1964.5 Plymouth Barracuda, Former car - Size Does Matter 1967 Plymouth Fury
07 IOE Winner Thunderhill, 12 IOE Winner Sears Pointless
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Team- … 4609354407

25 (edited by cmice 2009-08-17 10:20 AM)

I'm still buzzing from the weekend.  I need to get my head back in the game at work before I get fired.

What a GREAT event.  The driving was great, the course workers were outstanding, the cars were well prepared, great paddock action as well as out on track.

Thanks to everyone that made it happen and great job to EVERYBODY who was stupid enough to haul all their frigging sh*t to the middle of the frigging desert and put on a good show for each other and the locals.

I'm curious if there's any color commentary from the track workers??  I be they see a lot of stuff, but nothing like this.  smile

Chris

"Chief Idiot" - Italian Stallions Rotary X1/9
Class Win (Bad) / IOE Win (Guzzi Fiat 600) / We Got Screwed / GRM Most from Least