1 (edited by MurileeMartin 2009-08-16 02:48 PM)

Topic: Buttonwillow Histrionics winner: Mustard Yellow V8olvo!

It was by far the most dramatic battle for the finish we've ever seen at a Lemons race, with the Krider Racing Big Sausage Acura and the Mustard Yellow V8olvo within several lengths of each other for the final half-hour. Coming into the second-to-last turn, the Acura- which was in the lead by a few feet- sideswiped the Sharkmobile BMW and flipped over (nothing injured but pride), giving the win to the Ford 302-powered Volvo 244.

Re: Buttonwillow Histrionics winner: Mustard Yellow V8olvo!

GO FORD V8 POWER!!!
Thanks for the update, I've been anxiously waiting to hear...
Can't wait for the vids!!!

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

3 (edited by Speedycop 2009-08-16 03:06 PM)

Oh, and IF the Krider team had bent the rules a touch regarding the $500 limit, as the internet buzz has claimed, poetic justice has been served.

Okay, perhaps bent the rules a touch is an understatement, from what I've read, but then nobody in this series likes a car that's too fast and nice to have possibly cost $500, unless they are the ones who built it. You gotta admire any team that is a top contender at the end, regardless. It takes preparation, teamwork, and driving skill to avoid the penalties (and the Curse) and stay out in front.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)

Speedycop wrote:

Oh, and IF the Krider team had bent the rules a touch regarding the $500 limit, as the internet buzz has claimed, poetic justice has been served.

Okay, perhaps bent the rules a touch is an understatement, from what I've read, but then nobody in this series likes a car that's too fast and nice to have possibly cost $500, unless they are the ones who built it. You gotta admire any team that is a top contender at the end, regardless. It takes preparation, teamwork, and driving skill to avoid the penalties (and the Curse) and stay out in front.

They got junk yard cars with good drivers .

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

Any car that runs that fast and looks that good is automatically suspect to the masses, regardless of how legit it is. That's limited budget racing for you...

After looking at the aftermath of the last lap, that car looked pretty legitimate. Even had an autopower bolt in cage, that held up a whole lot better than I expected one to.

I'm glad the driver is okay. You DON'T have to cheat to win, and I'm certainly not accusing them in any way by repeating the internet rumors, because they are just that, internet rumors. That Krider driver is gonna be kicking himself for years to come if his own driving was to blame for the rollover, and cussing the other driver if it wasn't. Still, makes for an EPIC finish.

Props to the Volvo! Great race!

best finish ever!

I was a bit bummed that our car wasnt on the track at the end... but I am officially addicted and will do what I can to see you all at Thunderhill!

Uberbird!

My car has been right up near the top with them .Lemons is all about consisitence and long stints to win .I'm the slowest of our team and was in 3 hours and brought from like 15 to 7th place .
What car do you run  Supercop?

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER

Real quick -- when Krider came through I asked Rob to be honest and tell us on the Krider Scale (0 being your typical hapless head-gasket challenged civic driven by 22-year-old squids and 10 being a harder than diamond typical Krider chunk of polyurethane-covered Cheatonium) where their car sat.

Rob said, "2."

After going over the car pretty good and feeling a centimeter of give in most of the bushings, I feel a 2 was pretty accurate. Judge Murilee agreed.

I will add that I was telling the V8olvo and the third place Blanco Basura team all weekend long that if they let their trousers down, Krider will be right there to crawl up their ass.

And of course, Best. Lemons. Ever.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

I wish I could of been there but all sorts of people backed out so I couldn't tow some Lemons on the 4car to pay for the trip.

Damn

Speedycop wrote:

We went over the Krider car with obsessive care during the BS inspection (as we always do with past race winners) and it really was a convincingly horrible pile of crap. The reason the car did so well is easy to sum up: they had almost zero penalties (I think we saw them in the penalty box just once) and no mechanical problems.

How about some in-car video? Sorry about the schmutz on the lens; I suspect the Mad Max Supra's ailing transmission seal was responsible.

Great race! I was a bit bummd to see the BSP on it's roof with 1 lap to go and having to finish under full course yellow, but great to see the driver out and standing beside the car long before the safety crew got to him.

Here's our little moment in the limelight:

http://www.hubgarage.com/photos/0154/0282/100_2578_detail.JPG

Thanks for the photo op, Murilee!

--Spank

Judge Jonny wrote:

I will add that I was telling the V8olvo and the third place Blanco Basura team all weekend long that if they let their trousers down, Krider will be right there to crawl up their ass.

OK, but did you give them any tips on winning the race?

1978 AMC Pacer - The Blue Flag Special
BFE GP '12 - IOE
BFE GP '13 - Co-Organizer's Choice w/ Speed Holes Wrenching

17 (edited by Mulry 2009-08-17 05:19 AM)

MurileeMartin wrote:

... sideswiped the Sharkmobile BMW and flipped over (nothing injured but pride), giving the win to the Ford 302-powered Volvo 244.

"6.3: Why Am I Upside-Down? Rule: You're upside-down because you have no business being out on a racetrack. Any driver who puts a car on its roof is out for the rest of the season, beginning immediately. Any car that rolls during a race will be removed from the race."

So is the driver out for the year and the car given a DNF? I'd argue that this is the kind of "racing incident" that should be given a pass, especially since it was in the very closing stages of the race.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Wow, the V8olvo is fast!  It even sounds awesome.  Great job guys.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Mulry wrote:

"6.3: Why Am I Upside-Down? Rule: You're upside-down because you have no business being out on a racetrack. Any driver who puts a car on its roof is out for the rest of the season, beginning immediately. Any car that rolls during a race will be removed from the race."

So is the driver out for the year and the car given a DNF? I'd argue that this is the kind of "racing incident" that should be given a pass, especially since it was in the very closing stages of the race.

From the first post, the cars were within a few lengths of each other for the final half hour so I imagine that the car flipped and the Volvo passed them. 

As for the rule, it seems fair.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Some pics From the weekend- The cars that finished.

http://www.plavanracing.com/24hrlemonsBW.htm

#E30 & #325i Mazda Mx-6 and turbo....14psi boost is a good thing right?
#114 1990 Mazda 323- Zoom-Zoom..Boom (Blah- too slow, but my first love)

MurileeMartin wrote:

We went over the Krider car with obsessive care during the BS inspection (as we always do with past race winners) and it really was a convincingly horrible pile of crap. The reason the car did so well is easy to sum up: they had almost zero penalties (I think we saw them in the penalty box just once) and no mechanical problems.

Then kudos to them, and sorry about the lousy luck. They are now legends either way.

Fabtoys, I run the Mark VIII. It's coming back for a third race with a whole new look. In fact, it's likely no one will recognize it until they look beneath the new outer shell we're riveting on...

MurileeMartin wrote:

How about some in-car video? Sorry about the schmutz on the lens; I suspect the Mad Max Supra's ailing transmission seal was responsible.

GREAT VID! Love the low camera angle. We got some good dash footage at CMP in April, but the low angle is WAAAY better.

Speedycop wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

GREAT VID! Love the low camera angle. We got some good dash footage at CMP in April, but the low angle is WAAAY better.

Yes, the low angle makes 50 MPH look like 150, but you also get crap hitting the camera. That one has survived quite a few races, though- I've been sticking it on Lemons cars since Thunderhill '08.

MurileeMartin wrote:
Speedycop wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

Yes, the low angle makes 50 MPH look like 150, but you also get crap hitting the camera. That one has survived quite a few races, though- I've been sticking it on Lemons cars since Thunderhill '08.

Hey if we make it into the Houston race, we'll volunteer you some space on the Fiat for it.

Josh Poage
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2009 Yee-haw It's Texas
Prison Break Racing - 1986 325e #27 - 2010 Gator-o-Rama
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2011 Heaps in the Heart of Texas

I just posted a video of the rollover/pass @ Phil Hill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApaSPCJFPk4