1 (edited by dsycks 2011-05-29 11:47 PM)

Topic: I think my 06 TL is dead.

Thought I would get a little feedback from some of the uber knowledgeable folks around these parts and see if my fears that my TL is terminal. My wife took it to work her job as a hospice nurse today as the AC was out in her Suby. Some jackwagon in a cabrio hit another car jumping multiple lanes of traffic on the highway and both cars plowed my wife in excess of 50mph spinning her multiple times and fully disabling the car. It also has damage to the front and along the passenger side with paint from both other cars smeared down the side. The big hit however was where the big Buick Roadmaster popped its nose right in front of the rear tire crushing the door and corner of the chassis almost a foot inward.

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/248359_1366231452286_1726670346_612958_2176494_n.jpg

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/255146_1366231212280_1726670346_612957_3015029_n.jpg

After collecting my wife and getting through the ER and doing all the BWC crap we went to find the poor car. It started right up and after prying some debris away from the tire the car rolled, bucked and warbled along far enough to indicate it didn't feel like going anywhere. Called a friend and got it on the trailer and brought it home.

The sad thing is that when we got this car we hated it. It did not live up to the expectations we had for it and it was just dull and numb. Last fall however I got after it a bit, did some brake and suspension work and getting some good quality rubber on the car it woke up and its been wonderful ever since.

I actually took it on two great drives this last week. One was a break fading glorious romp through the hocking hills and today we had a nice easy romp through the Wayne National Forrest.

I would almost hope it was fixable but all that intrusion into the passenger cabin in that spot which seems rather a bad place to get that much damage...

Oh well, feedback? Thoughts?

PS- Any ideas one what may be fun to put a big Honda V6 FWD transaxle into midship? A yugo maybe?

Daniel Sycks

Re: I think my 06 TL is dead.

That alone while ugly should not be terminal, please photo detail the rest of the damage as the insurance co will look at everything together as a package.

If you do not have that kind of insurance I say no way , pull and fix.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

There's nothing not fixable... just depends on time and money you want to put into it. What you've shown so far is no biggie - just some sheet metal work. cut that section out of a junked one and weld it in.....

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

You said that was the front, and that might be your problem.  I've seen some fwd cars get hit on one front wheel and not even cause any body damage and have some pretty expensive repairs.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Front seems pretty surface.

My wife will be happy to know that the car may not be as bad as I feared.

Guess I figured that with the way the car was constructed with the thick sections of unibody structure in that area there would be no way that it could be sorted out without the thing being trashed.

Daniel Sycks

It could potentially be totalled if you want it to be. You've described the whole left side, front and RR quarter needing repaint. With that, I'd demand a full and proper repaint of the whole car. That in itself is easily $4k just for the paint work.

The bodywork in your photo is probably $1500, add another $500 for the left side and probably $1000 for the front.

From how you described the car's movement, your rear beam axle/subframe/wheel bearings/etc are all suspect. Another $1000.

The wheel is visibly damaged, probably the two on the left side, as well... factory wheels are $300+ each.

What are we up to so far? $8500 or so? KBB pegs the value of the car at around $17-20k.

Press for as much repair as you can, and don't forget to mention the depreciated value of the car. With CarFax, that car will never be worth what it was before no matter how well it is repaired.

A few weeks ago I watched a friend of mine take a $3900 settlement on a $2500 1993 Miata (ever wonder where all these Lemons Miatas come from?) that was less-damaged than your car. From 20 feet, you could hardly tell that it had been hit, and it was plenty drivable... but, front and rear bumpers, hood, broken diff mounting ear, and on and on... it all adds up.

Personally, as long as it's the insurance company's dime... I'd prefer not to fix a car with that much damage. Take their money and buy another one that hasn't been wrecked.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Get it fixed and sell it before CarFax post's it.

I guess part of my worry is that...

a) The car will NEVER be what it was before the hit. Three cars trading paint and doing loops at 50+mph down a freeway leaves a mark.

and

b) This cars value from here on out is pretty well toast. Not to mention we are out a car for an EXTENDED period of time, the car that started the wreck ran but partial plate and good description should help that and she was on the clock which makes this an even more confusing workmans comp issue.

This is all going to be just as clear as mud.

Daniel Sycks

9 (edited by hrlyTCH 2011-05-30 04:13 PM)

hope your wife is ok the car can be replaced/repaired.

You're not the only one having a crazy Memorial Day weekend, coming back from indy500 yesterday we clocked a deer. No air bag deployment but it did do its damage to the car.

Not nearly as bad as what you have going on but still an accident.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid … mp;theater

hrlyTCH wrote:

hope your wife is ok the car can be replaced/repaired.

You're not the only one having a crazy Memorial Day weekend, coming back from indy500 yesterday we clocked a deer. No air bag deployment but it did do its damage to the car.

Not nearly as bad as what you have going on but still an accident.

With no face book acct I suppose there isnt anyway to see?

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

Yeah, Kristin is good... thank you for asking!

Bad news on the deer hit! That got pretty good penetration as well and the fluid on the ground makes it look like the radiator got popped. Hope its not as expensive as it looks.

Daniel Sycks

dsycks wrote:

Yeah, Kristin is good... thank you for asking!

Bad news on the deer hit! That got pretty good penetration as well and the fluid on the ground makes it look like the radiator got popped. Hope its not as expensive as it looks.

good to hear the wife is well.

for the other person asking about facebook i'm not sure how they do it there but by the sound of it you're likely right and need to be on facebook to scope out the pics. I normally have everything set private but i made an exception for that photo album. sorry

Dunno as of yet but yeah the radiator was leaking some when we pulled off into the e-lane so we hustled it up to the next exit where it let go just as we shut it off. we can pop the hood  from inside the car but cant open it fully due to the lever to release broke off. it pushed the upper core support back a good 3-6 inches.

at worst we'll probably call contact my source at pull-n-pay and get what we have to and leave a body shop to do the magic.

Body shop!? I say we Pillagerzz It! Take it to the pull n pay, rip off parts from cadaver van and JBWeld them onto van!

Victory!

Daniel Sycks

dsycks wrote:

Body shop!? I say we Pillagerzz It! Take it to the pull n pay, rip off parts from cadaver van and JBWeld them onto van!

Victory!

We've decline the bodyshop repair so the van is getting the Lemons/D.I.Y. repair treatment...

so far we are 150 in the hole versus 4 grand the bodyshop wants(minus the 62 for the inspection/estimate fee). we lucked out at pull-n-pay in more ways then we imagined. found a near perfect/identical van with "matching paint"

the only thing that would make it perfect (less the normal wear/tear scratches/scrapes to it) is the bumper is a slightly different design (Dodge had 3-4 designs. what we have and what we got are 2 of the variations). our model has fog lamp cutout pots but no fog lamps installed (if you saw the photos you can tell what I mean) the bumper we snagged is flush (no inserts or cutouts just passages for air to get to the radiator)

Good news but not like folks here should care as much as me... Seems the police may have found the car/owner that caused the accident. Things may be looking up.

Daniel Sycks

sweet deal hope it all works out in your/the wife's favor