1 (edited by Bender/StickFigureRacing 2009-08-18 09:34 AM)

Topic: Thanks for Buttonwillow

Our Team just wanted to thank Jay, Jonny, MurileeMartin, Nick and the rest of the great folks at Lemons HQ. We had a great time, the facilities were top notch. We think they were the best run facilities we have encountered so far.
O.K. so much for A** kissing but we really mean it.
Thanks Again!

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

Re: Thanks for Buttonwillow

Ditto, I think this was the best run and overall most fun event I have participated in. Of course it doesn't hurt that we finished in the top 10!

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

The flag workers and track staff were awesome. Lemons staff were great as always. The shark is now a very fast car and we can actually keep it under control when racing but we suffered from a laundry list of reliability issues:

Blown coolant hose x 2
Ruptured fuel line
Ruptured intake boot
Blown AFM
Over sensitive brake lights
Loose lug nut
Ridiculously slow fueling
Horrible useless mirrors

Special thanks to Zoom Zoom Boom and The Faustest Team for being great paddock neighbors.

Props to the Minis, Molly Maids, Blanco Basura, Dominic's Mad Max team, Evil Genius, Cryder, da judges, John, and others for support, being social, or just damn good.

The Sharks
Home of the E28 Turbo Tuner Fish and the Hammered Head 944 Turbo

first race ive attended and it was a blast. thanks indeed

arse-sweat-apalosa thunderhill 2011 : team killer zomBee!

Our first time out there as well and we had a blast!  Can't wait for the next one!

Our first race and definitely not our last...

Thanks to all the other teams, especially the silver Audi for leaving early and providing us with even more room in the paddock...

Uberbird!

FatBraff wrote:

Thanks to all the other teams, especially the silver Audi for leaving early and providing us with even more room in the paddock...

hear, hear!

arse-sweat-apalosa thunderhill 2011 : team killer zomBee!

The best part of the silver audi was when the guy was at BS tech and they were about to give him 200 penalty laps for having a $2000 car then the guy opened his mouth and said "well actually under Obama I can turn the car in with cash for clunkers and get $4500 for it"

Johnny immediately said "450 laps it is!"

That was awesome!

Agree'd!  That was the best race we have been to as well!  I wished our motor would have survived the practice day, but the overnight motor swap was amusing.  I think we only lost a couple hours of the race.

Special thanks to the team of intoxicated men that wondered by around 2am to help us lift the car over the motor.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2575/3835752632_fa504cc9cb.jpg

Big thanks to the folks working the flag stations, the timing, and all the other stuff that goes on behind the scenes that never gets noticed but that we couldn't do without.  As always, Lemons HQ is awesome and puts on an efficient and hillarious race.  Of course, thanks to Jay, Nick, Loverman and Ms. Martin for all that you do. 

Especially a huge thank you to all the racers, crews, families and dogs who make this event competitive and fun.  Best. Lemons. Eva.

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

Big thanks to EVERYONE for not hitting us. Well, we did get tapped by the Mustard Yellow Volvo on Saturday but we should be thankful that we were "touched by the winners". I think on the drive home simply towing the car I was still pointing everyone by yikes)

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k213/Spank226/Lemons/RoofRecliner_01.jpg

Loved the Mr. Bean Mini team!  Even though it was a bit of an annoying "speed bump" it was an entertainingly annoying speed bump!

13 (edited by lww 2009-08-18 09:52 PM)

And by the way, in all the 4 Lemons events I've competed and the 3 others I've crew'd or spectated, this was by far the absolute best and most professionally flagged event in the history of Lemons.  The CalClub/SCCA flaggers were absolutely top notch.  They were precise, consistent and spot on with their flagging throughout the entire event.  I saw absolutely nothing to criticize.  Spectacular.  Most people don't realize the immense difference this one element can make in the enjoyment of the event for every participant (those of you who made the Dec.2008 THill event understand what I'm saying here), more so than any other element, dare I say even more so than timing and scoring...

lww wrote:

And by the way, in all the 4 Lemons events I've competed and the 3 others I've crew'd or spectated, this was by far the absolute best and most professionally flagged event in the history of Lemons.  The CalClub/SCCA flaggers were absolutely top notch.  They were precise, consistent and spot on with their flagging throughout the entire event.  I saw absolutely nothing to criticize.  Spectacular.  Most people don't realize the immense difference this one element can make in the enjoyment of the event for every participant (those of you who made the Dec.2008 THill event understand what I'm saying here), more so than any other element, dare I say even more so than timing and scoring...

That's good to hear... considering this is one of the biggest gripes I have heard about Lemons.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

I can only speak from my experiences here in Texas and New Orleans. 

MSR October 2008: had less (way less) than impressive flagging.

MSR Feb 2009: flagging was much improved and the hot pits were awesome.  Both great improvements which made the event much more enjoyable.  The differences were like night and day.

New Orleans 2009: good flagging and officiating.  Great participants and paddock.  Lemons racing by day, drag racing at night.  Action from morning to late at night.  Most hilarious thing was the scooter drag races. 

MSR October 2009: rumors of full course.  Will there be chicanes?  It will definitely be fun.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

anorexicpoodle wrote:

We had a great time as well and a huge thanks to everyone that loaned us safety gear after our truck was burglarized friday night, without you guys we would have been going home early.

Was great pitting next to ya man, your car was endlessly amusing haha

In spite of destroying pretty much every engine and transmission part on the Gnome we still had a great time as well.  Jay knows how to throw a party and we'll be there for the T-Hill race for sure.

Three cheers for Lemons!!!

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

This was only our second race but we had the best time ever!  Thanks to the whole Lemons staff, the flagers, Buttonwillow, and our fellow competitors!  I'm really having a hard time getting the race out of my head this week and getting back to work.  If everything goes as planned, The slow flying mohawk will see you all in Thunderhill.  All the best until then - The B-Team

The Pussy Wagën rides again,
one of Kill Phils crazy 88's
The B-Team

19 (edited by C.Plavan 2009-08-19 04:13 PM)

ethan666 wrote:

Holy crap that was a lot of fun. This was my first Lemons race (I was with the Drivers Education Dropouts, the blue BMW E30)... we managed to put together a 14th place finish, and I am now officially hooked!

So let me get this straight.....  The Driver Education Dropouts' BMW (sounded like an automatic) and the Crash Test Dummies BMW crashed into each other on my video?

Now that is kinda funny. 

We had a great race going with you guys on Sunday AM... until you (or your teammate) tried to late brake The Dummie BMW and myself (323).... smile  it was classic!  What was your penalty?

#E30 & #325i Mazda Mx-6 and turbo....14psi boost is a good thing right?
#114 1990 Mazda 323- Zoom-Zoom..Boom (Blah- too slow, but my first love)

SharkBait wrote:

Ruptured intake boot

Someone actually blew the welds on their intake manifold?

There are those who call me...Judge Tim
Previously: Der Uberbird! BMW 633CSi
"When life gives you Lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you crap, don't make a beverage out of it."

21 (edited by Mad_Science 2009-08-19 11:17 PM)

I spectated 2 races before, but this was the first time on the track (Lemons or elsewhere).

Thanks to all the track workers, judges, etc who were patient with us as part after part failed on our car (guibo, fuel lines, muffler clamps and hood pins).

Thanks to the (many) faster competitors for putting up with us on track. No racing skills and a mirror that preferred to point at the floor left us a bit of a rolling chicane.

We'll be back for Thunderhill!

And the good news is we're likely to come up from 74th place!

There are those who call me...Judge Tim
Previously: Der Uberbird! BMW 633CSi
"When life gives you Lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you crap, don't make a beverage out of it."

Someone on your team was dive-bombing me into every corner (the red Cavalier wagon) until I finally motored by on the front straight- and whoever it was STILL tried to apex block-pass but it was too late. Sheesh, driver training indeed... It was a fun battle though.

ethan666 wrote:

There was a BMW that hit our other driver Rob, not sure if it was the Crash Test Dummies, but we were not penalized. The other driver admitted fault in the pits. We actually managed to go the whole weekend with no black flags!! I was kinda looking forward to the dunk tank.

Yep it was an automatic, somehow it lasted the whole weekend! I'll check out yer video...

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 143 races and counting.
2/25/24

Thanks everyone for coming out and making our first trip to Buttonwillow a great one! Though we semi-lucked out on the weather this time, we'll still try for a cooler month in 2010.

Though none of our Lemons staffers got to run in the race (Jeff and I hella broke our Alfa--you know, more than usual--at Reno), based on participant comments, there's no question the flagging was the best yet.

The flaggers were provided by the Cal Club SCCA. Going forward, we definitely want to use workers of Cal Club's caliber, which can be a challenge when we're arranging things by remote. Hopefully, our Buttonwillow experience will help us sort the good from the bad on that front.

The feeling between the racers and flaggers was mutual--the corner workers told us that the Lemons was among the best racing they've ever seen (with a few exceptions, of course). So don't be too quick to blame your next on-track Lemons incident on a novice driver--maybe the other guy was from the SCCA!

Also, they commented on how friendly and appreciative everyone was when they were in the paddock--apparently being nice to the corner workers isn't standard in all racing endeavors....

Bottom line--the smoothness of the weekend was a group effort. Again, thanks to all!

Some pix from our archives: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 … 6766739494

24 (edited by ozkrow 2009-08-21 07:38 PM)

hello everyone...i would also like to thank everyone for making our second Lemons race lots of fun! I am with Timmys kids team-yup the Audi A4 that for some reason everyone hated...well not everyone just the few teams that actually took the time to come up to me, cuss me out then walk away.

a few of you that were at thunderhill last year might remember an Audi 4000 running into the wall,yup that was us! when i arrived on Saturday i had lots of teams come up to me and just talk sh@t...ok...no one believes that we got the car off a customer that didnt have the money to make a $3500+ oil pressure,turbo,etc repair on the car...so what do we do? offer up 500 bucks and what do you know they took it. who would of thought that people who live in Calabassas dont need the money!

now we made a bit off scavanger sales,but thats cool we got dinged big time,but it was still fun. it wasnt about winning. were a bunch of dudes in our 20s who decided to join the Lemons. we rented a uhaul trailer. we dont have the money to buy expensive toy haulers,buy a decent car make it look like crap and do an engine swap. we just bought a stock A4 and put a roll cage in it. i heard people complained about the stickers...it took me 5 min to make those in photoshop.lol we have 2 race suits that 6 people share...yeah nasty,but when you wanna race you do what you have to.

we had a lot of comments on the wheels. we had 3 beat up S4 wheels that we got and 1 random 17 we found. for god sakes we were running capital tires with a rating of 400,stock engine,stock exhaust with a straight pipe ,blown shocks with lowing springs an oil pressure problem-the light kept flashing on the straight away...every lap every time. it was funny. ill post vids soon so you can hear that annoying beep!

we had a great time till our radiator gave out boo. but if everything works out and we will be back hopefully to a less hostile environment. there were lots of REAL FAST V8s and se-r out there. we didnt think a wimpy n/a 1.8t would cause such a stir. we are still not sure if we should stick with the A4. we really didn't like all the cussing and aggressive stuff that came our way. One of our team mates had his wife and kid there and they had to hear that stuff...come on... we are all there to have fun lets keep it that way. but like i said we really don't have the money to get another car ready...so i guess we will see. it was still a blast. see you next year! i hope!  i will post links to vids and pics. thanks guys!

edit here is the link to our flickr page. lots of pics for buttonwillow and thunderhill 08

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41578460@N04/page6/

ozkrow wrote:

we really didn't like all the cussing and aggressive stuff that came our way.

Did you let them know that you had 450 penalty laps and weren't a threat to win? Those penalty laps are supposed to insulate you from that sort of hassle.