Topic: in car video + radio on the cheap?

I don't mean so you can watch the latest lil' wayne video or listen to your favorite Neal Sedaka 8 tracks.

Looking for ideas/links/hints on how you guys are getting in car video, and any cheap-ish ideas for car to pit communication. 

I was thinking of buying one of those Flip video cameras, but the cheaper version only holds ~30 minutes and I don't think it's got a removeable memory card.  I've seen some in-car video taken on one and it looks good.   I've got a working 8mm sony handycam- I was thinking it would be cool to use the camcorder as a camera and tie it into some sort of memory card storage device via the RCA plugs (??).  Not sure if this is even possible, much less on a budget.

As for car to pit communication, it seems that the FRS/GMRS based systems are universally labelled as teh suck- but the true "race" systems are at least several hundred $$$$'s, which is just not in the Lemons budget.  So, any ideas for this?

See you at CMP in a couple of weeks.

Re: in car video + radio on the cheap?

We've thought of several schemes involving digital cameras, VCRs, gerbils, blackjack, and hookers.  In fact, forget the digital cameras.

Seriously though I think we're going to use a digital camcorder with 60 minute DV tapes in the car, hooked up to a small inverter for power.  We'll just swap tapes as we can.  We also thought about hooking up a digital camera to an old VCR with the RCA plugs - i tried this out a while back and it worked great, but I don't know how a VCR will hold up to the vibration. 

As for car to pit comm, we are just going to use cheap FRS radios, because that's all we have.  I'll get a couple of helmet mikes and lash a radio to something in the car (and maybe use a VCR - for some reason I have a lot of VCRs around - on another radio in the pit to record the communications for posterity). I had considered using a CB, since I have a CB walkie talkie and a mobile unit, but trying to talk into a CB mike with gloved hands whilst driving just seemed like a quick path to disaster.

Josh Poage
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2009 Yee-haw It's Texas
Prison Break Racing - 1986 325e #27 - 2010 Gator-o-Rama
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2011 Heaps in the Heart of Texas

3 (edited by Mulry 2009-08-19 10:21 AM)

kalpol wrote:

...I had considered using a CB, since I have a CB walkie talkie and a mobile unit, but trying to talk into a CB mike with gloved hands whilst driving just seemed like a quick path to disaster.

Plus it's probably not allowed under Lemons rules:

5.3: Pit Communication: Every team must have a reliable way to signal its driver on track. A pit board (homemade is fine) is acceptable, as is a helmet-wired radio system. No loose or hand-held receivers are allowed in the car.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

The video at the link below is from a cheapo JVC Everio camera with a removable CD card.  ($250 +/-)  Plus it's small and durable and we can use it for family functions etc...  Some in car systems you see in the magazines aren't exactly portable. 
The camera is hooked up to a power converter since the battery life is so short. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKt4sW5yoCc

For radios we have a few headsets we put on when putting on our helmets with a cord to a walkie that is in a secured radio box.

We are the people your parents warned you about.

Mulry wrote:
kalpol wrote:

...I had considered using a CB, since I have a CB walkie talkie and a mobile unit, but trying to talk into a CB mike with gloved hands whilst driving just seemed like a quick path to disaster.

Plus it's probably not allowed under Lemons rules:

5.3: Pit Communication: Every team must have a reliable way to signal its driver on track. A pit board (homemade is fine) is acceptable, as is a helmet-wired radio system. No loose or hand-held receivers are allowed in the car.

I had considered that but the standard CB radio with corded mike seemed to be within the rules.  However we decided against CBs anyway and will go with the crappy FRS radios tied down in the car with the helmet mike.

Josh Poage

Last race we used my Sony Mini DV camcorder mounted to the roll cage.  Nice picture, plenty of record time and easy to transfer to my PC.  This time we're adding more cameras, but there's no way I can afford to buy more of these digital camcorders.  Worse yet I'm mounting them outside the car, so they're pretty much guaranteed to get whacked.

Enter Craigslist.  Last night I just scored a another Sony camcorder for $20!  Same great picture and ease of transferability, but now I don't have to worry when the thing gets destroyed.

For our radios we used Motorola commercial grade units without the headsets.  We used cheap earbuds to allow one way communication to the driver.  Worked fine, no complaints.

Mike
Lab Rats Motorsports
1988 Mitsubishi/Dodge/Fiat Colt Carpocalypse Edition

im playing with the idea of a surveillance camera setup. those tiny cameras can manage 720*640 video, hooked up to an onboard solid state recording box and powered by the battery. the box ive found so far is compatible with 4 channels of input and uses standard sized harddrives.

skys the limit on recorded capacities.

arse-sweat-apalosa thunderhill 2011 : team killer zomBee!

For FRS radio users.

Do you guys run out channel and have radio interference?  We may have ultra secret pit strategy therefore, we'll need to encrypt our transmission. lol

txryder wrote:

For FRS radio users.

Do you guys run out channel and have radio interference?  We may have ultra secret pit strategy therefore, we'll need to encrypt our transmission. lol

For encryptation you'll need to use a UHF/VHF radio. Ultra secret pit strategy. Huh-huh, huh-huh.

sergio wrote:
txryder wrote:

For FRS radio users.

For encryptation you'll need to use a UHF/VHF radio. Ultra secret pit strategy. Huh-huh, huh-huh.

We ordered a set of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/FDC-FD-268B-UHF-400 … 911.c0.m14

They have pretty good range and allow you a very wide range of frequencies. Price is right and the shipping from Hong Kong was quick.

Legal disclaimer:   you should be properly licensed by the fcc to operate these units....

The ear piece/microphone was not very good. 
What is everyone else using that they have had good luck with for in helmet?

pit boards suck.  don't even bother with them- especially on a road course where you typically can't see the car at any given time, or move to a different location with your pit board.

Cheapo radio with interference is better than ZERO communication.

Kevin

Would a motorcycle Chatterbox work?

jerjozwik wrote:

im playing with the idea of a surveillance camera setup. those tiny cameras can manage 720*640 video, hooked up to an onboard solid state recording box and powered by the battery. the box ive found so far is compatible with 4 channels of input and uses standard sized harddrives.

skys the limit on recorded capacities.

I've used them for 2 years on the BABE rally.  Instead of the 4 channel recording box (couldnt find any cheap) Im using Phillips PMC7230 media players.  Small format and 30gb of storage.  The video quality from these setups is good and you can buy the bullet cameras cheap with an assortment of lenses from narrow to wide.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

priapism wrote:

Would a motorcycle Chatterbox work?

Probably not, don't most of those use Bluetooth? The effective range on those is about 30 feet.

Josh Poage

Has anyone used cellphones with earbuds? My iPhone has noise cancellation and me and a few buddies have had 3-way calls while cruising where the call lasts several hours w/out interruption.

You would need both phones to obviously have unlimited minutes and reception, but could easily be mounted in a box with charger to keep it powered....just a thought.

Another pro is nobody can interfere or be on the same channel...

The main con I can think of is if the call gets dropped it would be tough to reconnect unless the button for answering is taped to outside of helmet.

We will probably go with the FRS radio + headsets/mics in our helmets, but I've been wondering about the phone idea for a few days.

Video... cheap -- WOTcam
http://www.wotcam.com/

works. we tested a pre-production model. worked great. He made some changes with it to improve video.
Great guy, known him personally for 10 years.

Bill Strong
Racing Strong Motorsports
Like us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/RacingStrong

Video: iPod nano.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

18 (edited by bongle 2009-09-22 01:13 PM)

dculberson wrote:

Video: iPod nano.

Only 640x480 for $150USD, you can do way better.

We're going to be using one of these, which I got a few weeks ago for $120CAD ($100USD).  It does 720p at 30fps, or it can do a lower resolution at 60fps, allowing for smooth slow motion.  It's small, it has a removable SD card slot (8gb will hold about 4 hours), and SD cards are dirt cheap.

Another option is a kodak zi6 (~$150USD), which does 720p @ 60fps, which would look awesome.  People often don't realize what a difference a higher framerate makes.  Everything looks so much smoother.

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

Our in-car video was shot with an Aiptek HD+ we picked up for $100
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019B … GKZKMP77M6

and a wide angle lens that cost $30
http://www.adorama.com/SUCAM2110.html

We had it hooked to 12V cig power source, and used a $40 16GB SD card.  16GB will hold ~9hours at DVD 60fps quality (or 4hrs at 720p).  We simply started it in the morning, and turned it off when the car came off the track.  I put a couple band-aids over the microphone to keep down the wind noise, but you can tell it still was getting overloaded from the engine & exhaust noises.

I think it worked great, but you can be the judge yourself.
The original, unconverted files are of course much better quality. 

Some good racing laps from mid-day Saturday:
http://www.vimeo.com/6601818

Highlight Reel from both Days:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xww9jCMAvRQ

William
Team SOB

zigm wrote:

Our in-car video was shot with an Aiptek HD+ we picked up for $100
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019B … GKZKMP77M6

and a wide angle lens that cost $30
http://www.adorama.com/SUCAM2110.html
Q

wow I like that for the price!  Wish I would've seen that before buying a GoPro...

Question: can you review the footage and only import bits you want from the memory card or is it one HUGE file that you must import before editing?

21 (edited by sbarton 2009-09-24 09:09 AM)

Aiptek HD+ ($120) is the way to go.  Cheap, HD quality, and SDHC cards can last 8-16 hours depending on size of card and quality of video.  To get it to run off the cigarette lighter, you need to cut the USB end off of the included AC charger and mate it to the cigarette plug plug end of any cheap radio shack USB phone charger.  Here is a link to directions on the Frankencharger.

For radios, try GMRS radios.  They offer more power (up to 5watts vs 0.5watts) so will punch through objects better, travel further, and sounds clearer.  They should cover most tracks that Lemons goes to.  You should get a GMRS license though to legally operate on the GMRS frequencies. 

We're using the Midland GTX1000 GMRS radios ($70/pr) which are 5Watts and come with personal headsets.  The driver will need a helmet headset with Push To Talk ($30). 

-Scott

Scott Barton

sbarton wrote:

For radios, try GMRS radios.  They offer more power (up to 5watts vs 0.5watts) so will punch through objects better, travel further, and sounds clearer. 

We're using the Midland GTX1000 GMRS radios ($70) which are (5Watts) and come with personal headsets.  The driver will need a helmet headset with Push To Talk ($30).

We're using this exact same setup.  I'm guessing I'm going to need to learn how the privacy codes work, with 130 teams there's going to be a lot of channel issues.

-Chip

Free Candy Racing
www.freecandyracing.com

sbarton wrote:

We're using the Midland GTX1000 GMRS radios ($70/pr) which are 5Watts and come with personal headsets.  The driver will need a helmet headset with Push To Talk ($30).

We used these as well and they worked like a champ.  The only thing we lacked was crew chief to pit communications.  Adding another pair of radios should solve that for the next race though.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

look for used ones on ebay I got 5 mixed motorolas that were all coded the same with base chargers for $75 because they were upgrading, they look skuzzy and we hardwired it into the car so we don't have to worry about changing the battery

Formerly an asshole driving an Infinity
Now just another cock with a Porsche
Chief bad decision maker of Team Lowbrau