Topic: A note about the "Best. Corner Workers. Ever" at Buttonwillow

You know how many black flags you incompetent bastards racked up?

THREE HUNDRED AND TWELVE!!!

Shattering the previous record of 288 set at the last Thunderhill (and nearly tied by you good old boys and gals in Houston -- something like 260).

True, there were far fewer passing under yellow violations in this race than in any Lemons race I can recall, but there was something like 100 four wheels off and 100 spin and continues.

312 black flags is redonkulous and Judge Martin and myself will be getting our payback come Thunderhill BS inspection.

Get those bribes ready, you are going to need them. Especially if you had between four and EIGHT black flags at Buttonwillow.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

2 (edited by Spank 2009-08-20 11:37 PM)

Re: A note about the "Best. Corner Workers. Ever" at Buttonwillow

We got black flagged to tell us to remove the recliner (well, and before the race even started we got one technically for "speeding in the paddock" aka testing the security of said recliner on the skid pad FAR away from any living soul so we were confident it wouldn't fall off on the track...) but we didn't bitch at either call and accepted our 1 hour in the penalty box with much grace and aplomb while everyone else got a 1-hour head start on us (and which was probably a blessing in disguise so us rookies didn't cause an extra hour's worth of blockage in the adrenaline-fueled first hour)

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k213/Spank226/Lemons/RoofRecliner_01.jpg

That's not counting equipment/mechanical black flags, of which there were many.

Oh.

Nevermind then.

(ps: did anyone appreciate that the recliner actually reclined at speed and went upright when braking?)

5 (edited by MurileeMartin 2009-08-21 12:59 AM)

Plus there was all kinds of metal-rending, Altamont-style contact that happened out of sight of the corner workers. Just because you hoons got away with it this time doesn't mean you'll get away with it at Thunderhill!

At Thunderhill, you put four wheels off and that mud will flip your car right over- no Central Valley-style dust at that track.  Just ask the Faster Farms Chickens, the Nerd Herd, ONSET, and those guys with the Datsun B210s!

So now that you've seen the worst, do you have high hopes for us Southerners at CMP?  I believe we racers at CMP had an impressively low black flag count in the spring, perhaps we all could out do ourselves and set a new LOW record?  Gives you judges time to watch the race and all.

Mike
Lab Rats Motorsports
1988 Mitsubishi/Dodge/Fiat Colt Carpocalypse Edition

Spank wrote:

Our shit don't stink, blah, blah, bloo

Right -- forgot about your boneheaded pre-race black flag

313 black flags

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

CaptainRat wrote:

So now that you've seen the worst, do you have high hopes for us Southerners at CMP?  I believe we racers at CMP had an impressively low black flag count in the spring, perhaps we all could out do ourselves and set a new LOW record?  Gives you judges time to watch the race and all.

You South Cackalackian boys (and the occasional lady) seem to be able to drive a bit better than at other locations. I guess that's the one advantage to being conceived and born in the back of a Camaro/Monte Carlo.

Judge Jonny wrote:
CaptainRat wrote:

You South Cackalackian boys (and the occasional lady) seem to be able to drive a bit better than at other locations. I guess that's the one advantage to being conceived and born in the back of a Camaro/Monte Carlo.

Of course everyone from the left coast thinks everyone from the right coast (south of the Mason-Dixon line) are a backwoods, one-toothed idiots.  OK, whatever.

Regarding the multiple black flags, here is what I don't understand.  At the first CMP race in '07 our team was called in 3 times on Saturday with black flags.  Two we deserved, and one was questionable, but those are the breaks,  Sunday morning we were summoned (along with three other teams) to a meeting with Jay.  He informed us that if we were called in for just one more penalty we were headed home.   Compared to some driving we saw from the other teams (Salazaar comes to mind) we were stunned, but took our lumps and played nice the entire day on Sunday with no more penalties.  Since that race I have read stories of teams getting 8 or more black flags but were not kicked out.

Tell me the rules and I'll try to play by them, but the rules seem to change on the spot.  I've told more than once person that if they want to run Lemons they will have a blast but 'fair' doesn't often play into some things.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Judge Jonny wrote:
Spank wrote:

Our shit don't stink, blah, blah, bloo

Right -- forgot about your boneheaded pre-race black flag

313 black flags

Oh contraire mon frere, our Shit DOES stink... and quite a bit: We ate nothing but bean dishes the entire event.

(and Boneheaded it was, indeed)

Justice at a Lemons race is arbitrary and uneven.
I think it's a byproduct of SO MUCH poor driving and other shenanigans that the 'justice' system is often overloaded, and bad calls get made.

We got called in several extra times for a 'Oh no, that wasn't you guys- go back out' punishment, but we deserved the calls we got, including the 'short cutting into the pits' one that earned me my first penalty in 7 races, dammit.

At least we weren't as bad as the metrognome, who almost ran someone over in the pits doing exactly the same trick...

The 2-4 wheels off guys have been suitably chastened, because we should know better about the consequences of going off the track... though in our defense the roll at T-Hill was wheel bearing flange failure (we'll still be looking for that wheel this November...)

On the bright side, the Cavalier is still in minty-fresh post-grandma condition, nary a scratch- (dried ranky beer aside) so we'll give 'er a buffing for T-Hill and solve the wayward wheel problem.

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 143 races and counting.
2/25/24

X-args wrote:

We got called in several extra times for a 'Oh no, that wasn't you guys- go back out' punishment...

Seems a board diplayed at the start/finish station displaying the guilty parties car number would help solve those type issues since they seem to be VERY frequent from what I've read on this forum.

At CMP is wasn't uncommon to see a car spin, then have it continue on for 4 or 5 more laps before the black flag was given to them.  We got a heavier penalty for not coming in on our own (4 wheels off) before the black flag was shown 5 laps later.  Who comes in 'in good faith' (no black flag) at a race where if you get lucky you might 'get by with one'?

Captain

*shrug* we got one black flag for when our car car tagged in the rear and spun. Not our fault, but we know the rules, so we took our lumps, swapped drivers, and went on our way.

Much better than the 3 or 4 black flags we got last time at T-hill.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

We got a black flag for taking the short cut (out of buss stop onto Riverside) and when we came in we were told we went four off and at Thunderhill i went two off just before the tire barrier on the back side and was told i spun. We did do infractions to get black flagged that is not the question i just want to know if there is a Lemons system that modifies the infraction? 2 off ='s 4 off in penalty box and so on. It does make for a great show in the penalty area at times. The animated arm flailing should be video taped and compiled to music.

We still don't know who ended up with the right front of the jag in there left side after the mealy over sunset and the attempt to avoid out of control cars. We do want to apologize to them though. We even got a scratch in one of our 20's. The wife was soo pissed when she found out i took the wheels off her CLK to put them on the Lemons Jag. Oh well! She will let me in the house soon.

Pen

MurileeMartin wrote:

Plus there was all kinds of metal-rending, Altamont-style contact that happened out of sight of the corner workers. Just because you hoons got away with it this time doesn't mean you'll get away with it at Thunderhill!

At Thunderhill, you put four wheels off and that mud will flip your car right over- no Central Valley-style dust at that track.  Just ask the Faster Farms Chickens, the Nerd Herd, ONSET, and those guys with the Datsun B210s!

What's the chance of running the entire course at T-hill this year?  I think 'most' of us have graduated to the ability to not screw up THAT bad...  Fernley = full course and lots of great racing.  Buttonwillow = full course (*minus a few changes in configuration) and so far, the best finish EVER.  No 30 min long yellow flag cake walks.    In the back section, throw a few tire barriers to slow us down some, but I think it would be a much better set up.

Though the night racing there in 2007 was INSANE!!! 

If it snows can we run studded tires this time?

Just trying to cover all the bases.

Our flags were mostly mechanical... exhaust, hood, etc. Though I think we did get two for four wheels off...

Our crazier driver apparently drove through 3 flags though, for the hood... so umm... we had to talk to him about that.

Uberbird!

Judge Jonny wrote:

Ahh yes, good old Southern lovin'.  I wonder if it's the exhaust fumes from the over rich Quadrajet'd 350, or the Skynard playing on the radio?

Mike
Lab Rats Motorsports
1988 Mitsubishi/Dodge/Fiat Colt Carpocalypse Edition

Is there anyway to post how many Black flags each team recieved?  It would just be for pure shame...and laughs....

#E30 & #325i Mazda Mx-6 and turbo....14psi boost is a good thing right?
#114 1990 Mazda 323- Zoom-Zoom..Boom (Blah- too slow, but my first love)

VKZ24 wrote:

Tell me the rules and I'll try to play by them, but the rules seem to change on the spot.  I've told more than once person that if they want to run Lemons they will have a blast but 'fair' doesn't often play into some things.

Think Calvin Ball.

There are those who call me...Judge Tim
Previously: Der Uberbird! BMW 633CSi
"When life gives you Lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you crap, don't make a beverage out of it."

C.Plavan wrote:

Is there anyway to post how many Black flags each team recieved?  It would just be for pure shame...and laughs....

I think I already lost the paperwork.

Worst offenders this last race were car #5 (the Blue 944) and #78 (Team Stimulus Package in the gold Civic).

The #5 Porsche was so awful they ran up SEVEN black flags on Saturday. In their defense (why am I defending them?) one of their drivers went four off, spun, passed under yellow AND ignored black flags for an hour. So, they got four at once.

Still, I had a nice talk with them and explained that the record of 9 black flags (set by the Sharks, of course, in Houston) will never be equaled or broken. They had to drive the rest of the race as angels.

Late in the day on Sunday, after they'd been driving very well all day, they pull into the pits. Metal on metal with car #78. Honestly, I shouldn't have let them back on the track. HOWEVER, it was car #78, in all honesty the worst team we'd seen in a while. And from all accounts, car #78 was at fault.

Taking a risk (one more black and #5 would tie the Sharks!) I sent both cars back. Within three minutes #78 was back for hitting a car, and I cut all of their yellow drivers bracelets off their wrists.

Car #5? Ran clean -- just 8 black flags! Thanks for not making me look like a stupid Judge, boys.

Judge Jonny wrote:

The #5 Porsche was so awful they ran up SEVEN black flags on Saturday.

My point exactly.  We got 3 black flags (none were for contact) and were threatened with expulsion from the event.  Maybe us southern boyz are expected to drive better and are held to a higher standard? I hate to use the word...but something doesn't seem 'fair' about that.

Captain

22 (edited by C.Plavan 2009-08-21 10:18 AM)

VKZ24 wrote:
Judge Jonny wrote:

My point exactly.  We got 3 black flags (none were for contact) and were threatened with expulsion from the event.  Maybe us southern boyz are expected to drive better and are held to a higher standard? I hate to use the word...but something doesn't seem 'fair' about that.

Way to put a target on your back..... Walk away slowly... Judge Jonny does not like whiners......

#E30 & #325i Mazda Mx-6 and turbo....14psi boost is a good thing right?
#114 1990 Mazda 323- Zoom-Zoom..Boom (Blah- too slow, but my first love)

C.Plavan wrote:

Way to put a target on your back..... Walk away slowly... Judge Jonny does not like whiners......

Not whining, just asking.  We learned our lesson and didn't get any penalties in the following race.  Of course removing that *%&#! chicane eliminated a lot of penalties for a lot of other folks the next race.

Captain

VKZ24 wrote:
Judge Jonny wrote:

You got threatened with expulsion, but did you actually get put on the trailer? We were pretty much pulling out those Porsche guys' toenails with rusty needlenose pliers after their 4-fer-1 black flag. Every team that establishes a pattern of early-and-often penalties gets read the Riot Act.

MurileeMartin wrote:

You got threatened with expulsion, but did you actually get put on the trailer?

No, we put our tail between our legs and drove like sissys on Sunday.  Everyone on the team had put way too much time and money into the car to get sent packing so we learned to play nice. smile

Captain