Topic: Cars in Cars 2

Last night, June 24th, was the official opening day of Disney/ Pixar's "Cars 2".  So, like the good gearheads that we are, last night was date night at the cineplex.  (And only the second movie we've seen at the theatre together in the 2 years that we've been dating).

For those here who enjoyed the original "Cars" (which, I'm guessing, is approximately 88 to 92% of you) this movie does not disappoint.  We saved $7 and saw the 2D version, so I can't comment on the technical prowess of that fancy new third dimension all the kids are talking about these days.  But even in that old 20th century format, it was very entertaining.

I won't spoil the plot (and there is one), but the one thing that really grabbed me about this movie was the fact that at least _someone_ at Pixar studios is a real, diehard, no-holes-barred car nut.  I'm talking old-Jalopnik, Murilee Martin, 24 HoL levels of automotive geekiness here.  How many movies have you seen in the last year that mention Lucas electrics AND Whitworth fasteners?  I wonder how many of the other folks in the theatre even knew what those things were- as near as I could figure, my fiance and I were the only ones laughing at the relevant jokes. 

On top of all that, there are the cars- I can't remember all the marque dopplegangers I picked out- there was a BMW 2002, numerous Zaphrozecs (sp?), Gremlins, Pacers, Citroen 2CV and DM, multiple vintages of Fiats and Alfa Romeos, Jags, A Reliant Robin, Yugos, a Corvette...

Has anyone else seen the movie and can add to this list?  There were a couple of cars I couldn't quite place- I think one of the main "evil" guys was a BMW Isetta, and the light blue secret agent car I kept seeing as a Volvo 1800, but it seemed to have a bit of either Italian or British in it, too.  The lack of Click and Clack in reprised roles was a little disappointing; the AMC products are now pretty much universally evil.  And, of course, there was a little bit of political undertone with the Big-Oil/ SUV/ fossil fuel commentary.  But thankfully, none of that gets in the way of the fun.  Mechimike gives it 4.5/5 wrenches!

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

Re: Cars in Cars 2

If you haven't, watch the behind the scenes and editors commentary on the first Cars DVD. It is pretty interesting, and explains a lot of the 'car stuff' in the movies. They do their homework.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

3 (edited by bottlingguy 2011-06-25 07:46 AM)

I went there with my kids last night too and loved the scene when Guido (Italian forklift) threw his impact wrench on the ground in disgust when he was trying to loosen the whitworth bolts.

Here is a list of the major characters in the new movie
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/11 … _2-feature

1967 Volvo 122s IOE and C class winner with the transplanted heart of the 1800
1971 Volvo 1800 IOE winner! Killed by a k wall
1984 Volvo 245  Angela Lansbury *sold
Established 2011

"They're not English, they're not metric...  They're whitworth."  I think I may have been the only person at the movie who was laughing at that joke.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Reason #500,221,003 that I love my godkid: his favorite movie is Cars.

Reason number 500,221,002 that I love my godkid: when we took him to the track, we couldn't tear him away from petting the tires and wheels.

I can't wait to take him to see Cars 2.

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

Saw it yesterday and was also probably the only one in the theatre who giggled with glee at the sheer genius and car nut homages of Cars 2.  It was fantastic.   

So far Cars 2 looks to be the worst reviewed Pixar movie to date (followed by the original Cars).  A shame and just proof that movie critics are not car enthusiasts...

The Deadliest Catch cameo was awesome too.

Import Alloy Racing
The Little Red Poorvette

Just saw it!  Hilarious Lemons revenge on the world!

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

fabtoys wrote:

Just saw it!  Hilarious Lemons revenge on the world!

I caught that too- Cars 2 may be the ideal 24 HoL movie.  I smell a theme there...perhaps a 4 car team with a Pacer, Gremlin, Zaphrozec, and Yugo.  They'd win the first combined team IoE if they could keep them all on the track.

What I'm still trying to figure out is what the green SUV's powerplant was and what the SUV itself was.  I've heard it was supposed to be a mashup of iconic SUVs, but it definitely has a strong Land Rover bias to it.

Also, "British Wheeland", nice.

'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"

Ok, I'll be the sheltering, overprotective parent here (who also has a knack for pointing out the negatives in absolutely everything--- just ask my wife).

Saw it last night in 2D with our 3-1/2 year old car fanatic.

It was a fun, action packed movie but maybe there was just a little too much action for me. It was kinda like watching a Rambo movie on crack (the movie on crack, not the watcher) and there were a lot of gratuitous scenes that were, I suspect, for the 3D audience.

But my concerns weren't with that-- it was with the guns and killing. I didn't count, but I think they used the word "kill" or "killing" several dozen times. And there was an awful lot of violence for a G-rated film. Sure, it's cartoon violence, but in the age where they are editing out scenes from classic Road Runner cartoons, it came as a surprise to me.

Let's face it, the Cars audience is growing up and the age-"appropriety" has grown with it. The first Cars dealt with a bully (Chick Hicks), but Cars 2 deals with thugs who have weapons and who use them... a lot.

But I also feel that Toy Story 3 was a bit too dark for a 3-yr-old audience.

And perhaps that's the problem-- it's not with the movie, it's with the parent. If I were a good parent I would have pre-screened the film. But I'm not. I assumed the film was as kid-friendly as it's predecessor (but in hindsight we even had to skip past the "Frank the Combine" scene in Cars because it was a little too scary for our youngun after he reacted badly to it the first time).

And there again is the other problem. As a good parent, I probably shouldn't be putting our 3-yr-old in front of a video screen (movie, tv or computer) at all, especially a movie that is listed at 1h53min long.

Great movie, though. Just not for a little kid whom you want to shelter from gun-play for even just a few more months. I do look forward to seeing it again and again on dvd when it comes out so I can get more of the car references and get to more fully appreciate it, but I'll wait until my son is a bit older.

10 (edited by m610 2011-06-26 11:43 AM)

I haven't seen it yet. My 11 y.o. nephew has promised to take me to see it so I am holding out for that.

But I agree with Spank that the violence in some of the kids movies was not needed and more or less ruins it as a family film. I'm thinking of the drawn out fight scene near the end of Monstors, Inc. I can see fights being in these movies, kids know about fights, but too often the movies seem like an episode of Walker Texas Ranger, every one of which was little more than a long setup for a big fight.

Cars 1 had plenty of conflict and resolution and the left-behind rediscovered and appreciated and with the bad guy loosing in the end, but not by getting beat in the race, or getting beat up, rather by showing everyone what an ass he really was, then being admonished, not punished. Simple and effective disapproval, the good guys win, the bad guys didn't get away with it, and everything was made right in the end.  I thought that was the most remarkable thing about that movie. That, and (one of) the message(s) that it really isn't all about winning. Very Lemony, I think.

That said, Cars 1 was great and it was obvious that the makers really loved cars and motoring traditions. The motor sounds alone were gorgeous.

Spank wrote:

But my concerns weren't with that-- it was with the guns and killing. I didn't count, but I think they used the word "kill" or "killing" several dozen times. And there was an awful lot of violence for a G-rated film. Sure, it's cartoon violence, but in the age where they are editing out scenes from classic Road Runner cartoons, it came as a surprise to me.

I saw it yesterday, too.  Yes, there were a lot of guns and perhaps it was a bit too intense for an average three tear old, but it did keep in line with the James Bond on wheels theme.

Keep in mind that vehicles were killed, not people or even animals.  The killing was less Bambi and Old Yeller than it was Cash for Clunkers.

I'm taking my 9 year old son to see it tonight at - get this - a drive-in!

Rally Baby 87 Audi 4KQ, Audi 90 Quattro Coupe, 1975 Mercedes R107, 87 E30s, E36s, the Whorenet, Rocco...
J. Phil: "Audis Never Win".  He might be right.But!, the K Dominates 2013 NJ and NH (not, but...). 
Stafford 2011 podium, 2nd NJMP 2013, Summit Point 2012 "WV ASSimilation award"
NJMP 2012 Organizer's Choice - R107, 2013 Monticello IOE Whorenet ! Organizers, CMP fall 2013 w/NSF

Mike C. wrote:

I'm taking my 9 year old son to see it tonight at - get this - a drive-in!

No fair!  That's awesome!

Its funny, my fiance and I went to see the film and the guns, violence, etc didn't even occur to us as inappropriate.  HOWEVER, I can see where Spank is coming from.  Yes, they were cars, and not people, but they were anthromophized cars, which to a 3- year- old, are possibly not much different than people.

Cartoons seem to get away with a lot more than real life entertainment does.  Just look at the Fox Sunday night line up.  We've pretty much given up on it, except for an occassional Simpsons.  Still, I could see an argument for rating Cars 2 "PG".  The original was far less violent. 

I don't, however, have any problem with introducing children to the concept of winning vs. losing.  Unlike gattling guns, this is something that they're going to have to deal with in reality eventually, and this everybody wins/ everbody feels good crap society seems heck-bent on perpetrating on kids these days is hogwash.  Lemons doesn't give trophies for the "best try at being effluent", or the "really gave it a good shot at a heroic fix", or, "the team the people really kinda liked, sorta".  Someone wins, and everyone else doesn't.  Period.

Anyway, maybe the MPAA needs to revisit their ratings.  Maybe "Curious George" and "Cars ][" don't belong in the same rating.  Maybe Spank is right, and 3- year- olds don't need to be sat in front of a video screen for 2 hours.  (I can't see plunking down $20 for a pre-screening, though- that's what the ratings systems are for). 

I dunno.  I just liked seeing Zaphrozecs in a major motion picture.

it was awesome - had to drive an hour, but well worth it.

Rally Baby 87 Audi 4KQ, Audi 90 Quattro Coupe, 1975 Mercedes R107, 87 E30s, E36s, the Whorenet, Rocco...
J. Phil: "Audis Never Win".  He might be right.But!, the K Dominates 2013 NJ and NH (not, but...). 
Stafford 2011 podium, 2nd NJMP 2013, Summit Point 2012 "WV ASSimilation award"
NJMP 2012 Organizer's Choice - R107, 2013 Monticello IOE Whorenet ! Organizers, CMP fall 2013 w/NSF

Nice tribute to Paul Newman near the beginning as well.

Cars 2 is like a lot of things, either you "get it" or you don't.

Drat! And Double Drat!

I thought Professor Z was a Zaporozhet but it turns out he's an even more obscure Zundapp Janus (in which apparently the driver and second row passengers faced opposite directions like the two faces of the god Janus. Brilliant!)

Import Alloy Racing
The Little Red Poorvette

vizlvr wrote:

I thought Professor Z was a Zaporozhet but it turns out he's an even more obscure Zundapp Janus (in which apparently the driver and second row passengers faced opposite directions like the two faces of the god Janus. Brilliant!)

I had exactly the same thoughts.  According to C/D, the Zandapp is like two BMW Isettas backed into each other.

the blue british spy car was "based" on a peerless GT according to the internet info I got they used some poetic licensing on it though

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B