1 (edited by EyeMWing 2011-07-09 10:01 PM)

Topic: So I was at the demolition derby today and saw this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4tL1RlMGR4

The RV had, in an earlier heavyweight/4x4 dirt track heat, been the most monstrously awesome thing I've ever seen on dirt.  It out-accelerated everything, and had enough mass to push everything else out of its way, even around the tight U-turns. It wasn't actually brought to be raced (just burned and wrecked), but the racers apparently demanded it at the driver's meeting.

Oh, and that Oldsmobile is completely unprepared. Full interior and everything. Driver is wearing a firefighter turnout suit and open-faced dirtbike helmet.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

Re: So I was at the demolition derby today and saw this:

'Murica!!!  Fuck Yeah!!!

Well, someone had to say it.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

Ever wonder why the Redneck family tree ha so many short branches? See Above

TEAM TONTO, 7 cylinders of thunder!
Now with 4 big Losses!
Steve was right

Hey, I'd have done it with just a handful more safety precautions (like a real firesuit, proper helmet, hans device, stripped interior, lexan windshield and a ramp that wasn't made of loosely packed dirt)

Team FinalGear

I'd have done it in a stock car with the windows closed smile

Multi cars jumping thru = better.  Same one over and over...  hmmm.

This space for rent.

EyeMWing wrote:

Hey, I'd have done it

And this is why I call you Crash.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

I'd have done it in a stock car with the windows closed

...and this is why we need Jay watching out for us.

EyeMWing wrote:

The RV had, in an earlier heavyweight/4x4 dirt track heat, been the most monstrously awesome thing I've ever seen on dirt.  It out-accelerated everything, and had enough mass to push everything else out of its way, even around the tight U-turns. It wasn't actually brought to be raced (just burned and wrecked), but the racers apparently demanded it at the driver's meeting.

And this goes here....

http://images.craigslist.org/3m13oe3pd5Y55Q15S6b7659b1814ffda7182b.jpg

1985 Itasca RV - $500 - http://neworleans.craigslist.org/ctd/2480594274.html

It's the third time I've noticed it on Craigslist.
-=Tom

-=HFC Tom

I think Jay's already basically say "nyet" to RVs.  Besides, getting a roll cage fabbed for that thing would be the most monstrously expensive, difficult, and stupid undertaking ever in the history of mankind.  IF you could even find a cagebuilder who didn't laugh you out of their shop!

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

Yeah, plus two of the three things an RV has going for it on dirt is out of the question in Lemons - you can't just push other cars out of the way, and you can't go around corners by welding the accelerator to the floor.

Team FinalGear

http://youtu.be/NNsXgIIyq5c

You see in California we put everybody in an RV so its fair.  If you watch this you will see why they will never be welcome at Lemons.  1) They fall apart at the slightest contact. 2) they make a huge mess when they do.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Parkwod60 wrote:

If you watch this you will see why they will never be welcome at Lemons.  1) They fall apart at the slightest contact. 2) they make a huge mess when they do.

I was first-on-scene at an accident where one had gone off the road (driver fell asleep) and rolled over.   There was nothing left but kindling and aluminum foil.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

CowDriver wrote:
Parkwod60 wrote:

If you watch this you will see why they will never be welcome at Lemons.  1) They fall apart at the slightest contact. 2) they make a huge mess when they do.

I was first-on-scene at an accident where one had gone off the road (driver fell asleep) and rolled over.   There was nothing left but kindling and aluminum foil.

I remember passing one that had rolled on my way to race the Elsinore GP a few years ago.  It is amazing how much empty space they are, but splinters and aluminum foil spread over 100 yards of road course would be quite the mess.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Aww, man...a Ninety-Eight?

I have a massive soft spot for the Olds 98...even the ugly ones from the 90s.

Maybe something like this would work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56XL0TysIn0

A consignment lot used to have a larger one that used a Malaise New Yorker/98/Grand Marquis.  It finally disappeared after about two years.  I should have gone out to test drive it and try those 360 degree turns.