Topic: Thunderhill Track Map

The link on the THill track map page is busted.

Here's the map on Thunderhill's site:
http://www.thunderhill.com/html/trackmap.html

I hear rumors of the full course?

There are those who call me...Judge Tim
Previously: Der Uberbird! BMW 633CSi
"When life gives you Lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you crap, don't make a beverage out of it."

Re: Thunderhill Track Map

I hope not - I would have serious reservations of running turn 1 (and probably 8) at full speed without a chicane.

Team Formula BMW
Finishing order: 44th, 44th, 19th, 10th, 5th, 10th, 5th
We will win some day smile

rnr wrote:

I hope not - I would have serious reservations of running turn 1 (and probably 8) at full speed without a chicane.

Huh. I'm at the exact opposite end of the spectrum.

Chicanes serialize the field and artificially create differentials of speed in a single choke point. This leads to increased jackassery: idiots charging to the "front of the line", slow boats slamming on the brakes, poor drivers misjudging and barreling into the barriers.

WRT speed, T1 at arse freeze apalooza last year required braking for our E30, even with the chicane. Going flat out down the straight would require more brakes into T1, but not by much. I've run the full course in my Lemons car a coupla times.

I'd argue that the lack of chicanes was part of the reason that Reno Fernley went as well as it did. Or maybe it was the lack of (some of) the bay area jackasses?

To finish first, first you must finish. -Rick Mears
Pandamonium Racing

4 (edited by rnr 2009-08-24 09:12 PM)

laz wrote:

Chicanes serialize the field and artificially create differentials of speed in a single choke point. This leads to increased jackassery: idiots charging to the "front of the line", slow boats slamming on the brakes, poor drivers misjudging and barreling into the barriers.

WRT speed, T1 at arse freeze apalooza last year required braking for our E30, even with the chicane. Going flat out down the straight would require more brakes into T1, but not by much. I've run the full course in my Lemons car a coupla times.

I'd argue that the lack of chicanes was part of the reason that Reno Fernley went as well as it did. Or maybe it was the lack of (some of) the bay area jackasses?

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I feel that you are going to get hit with Lemons jackassery no matter what and I'd rather it happens in a slow chicane rather than a 90mph flat-out turn. My biggest concern is someone trying an overambitious divebomb going into 1 or 8 which could end up rolling multiple cars. Someone cutting the line at the entrance to a chicane is merely annoying.

Reno-Fernley and Buttonwillow had no on-the-limit super fast turns like turn1 at TH (except perhaps lost hill). TH 07 had a much tighter chicane than TH 08 and we still had 2 cars roll on the exit of 1.

Team Formula BMW

rnr wrote:
laz wrote:

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I feel that you are going to get hit with Lemons jackassery no matter what and I'd rather it happens in a slow chicane rather than a 90mph flat-out turn. My biggest concern is someone trying an overambitious divebomb going into 1 or 8 which could end up rolling multiple cars. Someone cutting the line at the entrance to a chicane is merely annoying.

Reno-Fernley and Buttonwillow had no on-the-limit super fast turns like turn1 at TH (except perhaps lost hill). TH 07 had a much tighter chicane than TH 08 and we still had 2 cars roll on the exit of 1.

In fairness, multiple rolls were seen last year with the chicanes, but not on the turns you'd necessarily expect and not by the cars that were hauling ass.  The Yugo rolled, the Belevedere rolled; not exactly cars dive bombing for position. 

I have to agree with laz here.  The chicanes typically led to situations where people tried to circumvent the que to get through the narrow passage through the tires; kind of like what I see every day getting on the freeway when the right lane ends. 

Even with the chicanes, you can reach speeds that cause you to go off track and spin out in the run off.  Ask me how I know.

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

wrappedinbacon wrote:

In fairness, multiple rolls were seen last year with the chicanes, but not on the turns you'd necessarily expect and not by the cars that were hauling ass.  The Yugo rolled, the Belevedere rolled; not exactly cars dive bombing for position. 

I have to agree with laz here.  The chicanes typically led to situations where people tried to circumvent the que to get through the narrow passage through the tires; kind of like what I see every day getting on the freeway when the right lane ends. 

Even with the chicanes, you can reach speeds that cause you to go off track and spin out in the run off.  Ask me how I know.

The chicanes dont stop accidents, they just reduce the speeds at which they happen. T1 with its deceptively late turn-in, high speed and limited exit kerb is always going to have issues - I'd just rather be involved in a 60mph accident that a 90mph one.

I think the esses at Reno were a perfect example of reduced speed safety - had we been running the full straight you would have been doing about 120 and been on the razors edge handling-wise. By running a reduced straight the speeds were down to 95-100 which gave you enough margin to react and allowed 3-wide entry to sort itself out without too much grief and was actually even more fun.

Team Formula BMW

I've sniveled to the Jaymob about the tire chicanes.  I too, think the tire chicanes cause more problems than they solve. I pointed out  how we played nice at  Reno and BW.  I surely thought there was going to be a cluster f**k at the esses after the long, long front straight at Reno.  Fortunately, I was totally wrong.  And at BW we were clocking 94+mph on the front straight, with no  problems in turn 1.  They pointed out the soil differences on the outside of these turns in question.  They think a rollover is more likely at Thill's turn 1 if one was to go off. However, Nic said no decision will be made until about a week before the race.  So, we have time to whine, piss and moan, grump, and snivel some more.  Maybe we could practice on Friday without the chicanes and if all goes well....then have at it.  Except for a little misplaced sausage, we are doing great on these difficult high speed turns.  Give us a chance!

sawinatthewheel...sometimes too much, sometimes not enough...just like life

Turn 1 at TH is significantly faster and tighter than BW. A well driven car at 10/10ths can take it at close to flat out at which point you have no margin left to react to the dive bombers and line changers at Lemons

Team Formula BMW

sawinatthewheel wrote:

Except for a little misplaced sausage, we are doing great

Wow, quite a lot like my life!

10 (edited by SGW_SAM 2009-08-26 09:30 AM)

rnr wrote:

Turn 1 at TH is significantly faster and tighter than BW. A well driven car at 10/10ths can take it at close to flat out at which point you have no margin left to react to the dive bombers and line changers at Lemons

OK, keep the chicane in place to slow us down in turn one--- how about letting us use the rest of the track???

A few slow down areas, but more room to run would be much better... OR--- no chicane, and if you go off on turn one, make it a 3 hour penalty 8^0   

I think with a little bit of semi race speed track time most everyone will get the feel for turn one, and understand what the correct line is, and not get over their head.

I was upwards of 105 on the straight after the S's at BW... and learned right away how important braking and entry was into the main straight.   I've raced T-hill a few times now, and have hit turn 1 close to 95 and probably wouldn't attempt going over that even without chicanes. 

I thought people who dive bomb were suppose to get black flagged..

"6: LOUSY DRIVING

6.1: Individual Lousy-Driving Rule: Lousy driving--which includes, but is not limited to, unnecessary contact, overly aggressive driving, chopping off other cars, unsportsmanlike conduct, lack of car control, just generally being an idiot, and/or proving an undue pain in the butt to fellow competitors--will result in a black-flag penalty for Lousy Driving. These penalties will be punished as follows:
6.1.1: First Individual Lousy-Driving Offense: Mandatory driver change; offending driver can't return to the track for three hours.
6.1.2: Second Individual Lousy-Driving Offense: Driver loses his wristband for the rest of the day.
6.1.3: Third Individual Lousy-Driving Offense: Driver is out for the rest of the season, beginning immediately."

I think dive bombing falls into the overly aggressive driving catagory.

I only experienced a small amount of this at BW-- not even really worth mentioning.  T-Hill last year though-- a whole nother story.

"6.4: Touching a Temporary Barrier: Physically contacting a cone, tire barrier, or any other temporary structure placed on the track by the organizers is an automatic Lousy Driving Offense With Exteme Prejudice. (You don't even want to know what that means.)"

So when are they going to enforce hitting a 'cone' ?

SGW_SAM wrote:

OK, keep the chicane in place to slow us down in turn one--- how about letting us use the rest of the track???

That's exactly what I'm suggesting. Chicane before 1 and possibly 8 - the rest of the course should be wide open.

SGW_SAM wrote:

I thought people who dive bomb were suppose to get black flagged..

While that is the theory but it doesn't always happen plus it wont help you if you are the first car he/she hits.

Team Formula BMW

After talking to some of our team members that made it to last year's T-hill race (we had a little accident on the way there unfortunately) and driving the Reno race I am of the opinion that tire-barrier chicanes are the wrong way to go for many of the reasons listed. What *did* work well IMHO were the cones at Reno that forced people to take a wide and slower line onto the straight.

If the powers that be decide that this year's T-hill event requires a chicane or chicanes I hope that they decide to make them out of cones and implement a mandatory driver change penalty for hitting one. That way if you absolutely have to you can avoid a collision and take out a cone or cones rather than being given the choice of either hitting another car or a tire barrier, something that I was told happened too often at last year's race.

BTW put me down for the full course too. Nothing was more fun than the 2-3 laps I had at Reno with no traffic and IMHO less traffic is more safe, not less.

13 (edited by SharkBait 2009-08-25 11:36 AM)

The 2nd chicane in the straight at last year's Arse Freeze got hit so many times, we spent half the race under yellow waiting for it to be fixed. Also, I think the track workers got so tired of fixing it, by the middle of Saturday, they made it so wide, it wasn't a chicane at all. You could go straight through flat out all day Sunday and stay flat out until braking into turn 1.

The Sharks
Home of the E28 Turbo Tuner Fish and the Hammered Head 944 Turbo

Yeah, we know the track map is busted, but that's partially because we haven't decided what exactly we're doing yet. Stay tuned!

Buttonwillow was our first race, and even as rookies with a car that was 2" taller than stock and liked to pull right under braking, we didn't find Sunset or Sunrise particularly harrowing.

As I spectator at Thunderhill 08, I was always waiting for someone to clip or plow into the chicanes on the front straight.

They seemed to generate more drama (chicanery, if you will...) than any of the turns. Plenty of lockups, rearendings and spins.

Everyone's stressing about Turn 1 after the straight. Running in reverse fixes that problem.

Just a thought.

"When life gives you Lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you crap, don't make a beverage out of it."

Mad_Science wrote:

Everyone's stressing about Turn 1 after the straight. Running in reverse fixes that problem.

Just a thought.

Haha, reverse! smile

It's definitely scarier with less room for error in reverse. T9->T6 is downhill and crazy, with none of the runoff you're used to. T1 backwards has the bonus of someone running wide and possibly flying into the hot pits. T5 backwards is ultra blind, bypass or not. It's lots of fun, but if you're selling safety, THill backwards isn't going to win over the normal direction without some track mods.

Pandamonium Racing

laz wrote:

T1 backwards has the bonus of someone running wide and possibly flying into the hot pits.

Bah!

Minor detail.

rnr wrote:

Your car is too slow if you can take T1 flat out wink Or maybe you have a lot more grip than my E30?

I'll agree to disagree, and further state that my views are probably more than a bit skewed by wheel to wheel racing outside of Lemons.

Pandamonium Racing

Let me start by saying I vote for the full course, no chicanes.  I have done T-Hill and BW Lemons plus many, many track days at both tracks. 
I drive a momentum car.  If I can get good exit speed off the corner, it still takes the whole straight to make a pass.  Chicanes make that next to impossible.  Without chicanes, the traffic tends to spread out, making single car passing/being passed more the norm.  Turn 1 is pretty wide and forgiving.  It has good run off and, just like any off, if you keep the wheels straight and slow down there is no problem.  Turn 8 can be exiting if you are on full throttle from the exit of 6 and through the turn but can be done with light traffic.  With more traffic, it is difficult to keep the power down anyway. 
Tucking in behind a car and braking for a turn is fine.  If I am faster, I’ll pass him later.  Losing a second or two in a turn is nothing when you are racing for hours.
My concern is pit in.  Care, planning and cooperation is needed on the back straight when cars are planning to go in the pits.  Proper signals are needed and the cars going in need to carry some speed through Turn 14 before slowing in the Hot Pit zone.  Cars entering the pit share the same apex as those racing.
I recommend an informal drivers meeting on Friday especially newer drivers to go over hand signals, track etiquette, off track procedures, etc.

Jim
Old Fast Auto Race Team & Sons

Mad_Science wrote:

how many laps you thinking this go round?

arse-sweat-apalosa thunderhill 2011 : team killer zomBee!

21 (edited by magnusracing 2009-08-25 10:58 PM)

Keeping fingers crossed for full course... even if you have to add chicanes it certainly helps safety and driver enjoyment to spread the field over as large a track area as possible.

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

Judge Eye View = all of you fit into one of two categories: the semi-talented and the semi-untalented.

Chicanes = X amount of black flags caused by one semi-talented driver dive-bombing several semi-untalented drivers into the small opening.

No Chicanes = the exact same amount of black flags racked up by the semi-talented and semi-untalented amongst you as your new found on-track freedom enables you to run off the track and lose control of your crap cans at speeds never before possible.

Conclusion: makes no difference to us.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

While some driver's may be semi-talented and others may be semi-untalented.

I think it's safe to say we are all semi-moronic.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

OldFart wrote:

My concern is pit in.  Care, planning and cooperation is needed on the back straight when cars are planning to go in the pits.  Proper signals are needed and the cars going in need to carry some speed through Turn 14 before slowing in the Hot Pit zone.  Cars entering the pit share the same apex as those racing.

Sounds like a great place for a tire barrier + cone lead into pit lane... forces the field outside the line, away from cars entering pit lane.   Just watched the video, and it would only move the line over a few feet, but give for a safe clean entry into pit lane/road/wheel of misfortune :^)

jerjozwik wrote:
Mad_Science wrote:

how many laps you thinking this go round?

ALL OF THEM!

Uberbird!