Topic: Tires

What are you using?  How many sets does it take?  Let's have a general discussion about whats going on with tires.

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

Re: Tires

On our Miata for Lemons South we had some Azenas* ..... they were new before the race, and FUCKED after .... they got so hot that the outside of the tire turned blue .... seriously.

But 3 of our drivers definatly milked it around the track to insure everyone got to drive as best they could.

Two of the other guys were going balls out.

All depends on what you drive, and how hard your driving it id say.

Our next race two sets of tires will be a must.

We have 13" wheels, which basically confines us to the Sumitomo HTR-200s.  I was planning on 6 tires, 4 on the car and two extra for the port side (which ought to wear faster in a clockwise race, right?).............

Josh Poage
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2009 Yee-haw It's Texas
Prison Break Racing - 1986 325e #27 - 2010 Gator-o-Rama
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2011 Heaps in the Heart of Texas

Are these 12 hour races?  We are planning on doing 24 at Nelson Ledges.  I figured we would need 3 sets?  However I have never done this.

I know a lot of teams have done well with Hankook Z212s. The Black Metal V8olvo has managed more than a race per set out of its Z212s, which is respectable for a 3,000-pound car that combines nose-heavy understeer with donuts-in-the-7/11-parking-lot throttle oversteer. You can get them in 205/50R15 and 225/50R15 sizes, which is good for older cars with funky offset requirements and/or limited junkyard wheel availability (e.g., Volvo 200).

Cool.  We're rocking a 86 240 dl.  I have a set of those on a mustang and love them.

We had this discussion (via the Yahoo Group e-mail) a few months back and a lot of the Newbs were going nutz about using ultra-low profile, ultra-sticky, 190 treadwear tires.  I tried to point out that most SCCA and NASA spec-series tires are far harder that 190, are shaved to get rid of the soft rubber on top, and one set will last a full season (10-12 SCCA-type sprint races).  In fact, most spec-series racers (be it FF, Miata, SR, RX7 or whatever) usually choose a race-day tire that's been used for 3 or 4 sessions, so it's already been heat-cycled.  That removes the uncertainty of the tire and makes it very predictable. 

Granted, 14-16 hours of track-time for a Lemons race is equal to about 6 or 7 SCCA events, but the point is a harder tire means that it will last more than 1 Lemons event.  It also means that you don't loose 15 minutes in the pits changing tires and you don't spend a $$wad-and-a-half$$ on tires.

Our World of Outlaws Miata has run 4 Lemons events over 2 years (3 at AMP and 1 at T-Hill) on one set of Fuzion HRi (195/60-14 with a 400 treadwear) and they're still good for another event or two.  $45 from Tire Rack.  Solid tire, sticks well, no sidewall roll, consistent durometer rating throughout and performs equally well in the wet --- wish we had more rain racing in CA.  I just bought a new set and put them on the Lemons Fire Department Miata for Reno.

You can spend $100 a tire and you may run a full-second faster lap time than the next guy... but unless you've got a pit crew that rivals NASCAR or IndyCar... and unless you've got a team who can change drivers like the ALMS... and unless you've got a fueling rig that can dump 10 gallons of gas in 8 seconds... well, you get my point.

Bottom line: For Lemons, I'll take consistency, great wear, predictability and reliability over something trick that will mean nothing after 16 hours.

John

"Age only matters if you're a cheese."  Helen Hayes

8 (edited by saabsgonewild 2009-05-08 04:01 PM)

we have about five sets of tires for the car,   total.  one set is rain tires, one set is brand new, one set has about 100 miles one it, one set in very worn condition, one set set should be used for chicane tire barriers.  We also have used street tires too...

All of the above is true...

We use the Azenis 615 on the 14 inch Cavalier wheels, and bring 2 sets. The Cav has 65% of its weight hanging over the front wheels, so we have lots of rear spring and bar to make it as tail-happy as possible. Barring damage, the rear tires last a couple races, while the fronts get replaced at the end of each racing day.

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 144 races and counting.
5/5/24

We use Dunlop Durezza Sport Z1 Star 245/45R17's on the Fury.  They are 200 treadwear rating and we get about one race on a set (two if you don't include the 24 hour race).  They were recommended as a good heavy car tire and they work well.  You are limited on choices when piloting a 4,000 pound car which is why we went to the 17's.  They are mounted on Cragar 17 inch steel rims that were $50 a piece at Summit and they are industructable which is also important for these races.  Down side is the wheel and tire weighs 70 pounds a piece.

Team Oly Express
Current car - 1964.5 Plymouth Barracuda, Former car - Size Does Matter 1967 Plymouth Fury
07 IOE Winner Thunderhill, 12 IOE Winner Sears Pointless
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Team- … 4609354407

The great ratings debate::::

prelude: we are looking for tires for our 91 miata for No problem Raceway in June

Treadware # is softer to harder compund correct?  200 soft 400 hard ??

Traction -AA being the best, A Ok, B sucks?  but what does that really mean.  Is it simply traction when braking on a semi wet surface or cornering a circle seeing how many G's you can pull in your ferrarri?  Bottom line, Will a Lemons car know the diff between AA and A ?

Speed rating-Z and W being the fastest, H being middle of the road.  Will the Z tire help the Lemons car or is the H just as good considering it's hard to hit triple digits in a Lemons race anyway.  Does the Speed rating have anything to do with sidewall roll and stiffness of the sidewall or is it simply what it is.  The higher the speed rating the longer the tire will hold up at high speeds?

I sold tires several yeas ago but seem to have lost some of my knowledge and am really confused at this point as to which would be better for the Lemons race.

Team Lost in the Dark- North Texas-- #892 miata  j the laaaaaam (formerly barbie car)..R.I.P #89 mx6

heh. it really depends on your car weight, and how hard you wanna drive. It seems like the most popular tires are typically the BFGoodrich tires (couple models, seen more than a few with g-force sports) and the Falken Azenis-RT615s are VERY popular in and out of Lemons.

Just for a point of reference though we run Goodyears smile

13 (edited by mjfassio 2009-05-09 01:06 AM)

Unfortunately for I Wanna Roc the stock IROC rims are 16" which means that there's not a whole lot of options on tires out there. We have been debating on several models and I thought I'd get some input from the group. All prices are from TireRack.com and the tire size is a 245/45ZR16

Hankook Ventus R-S2 - 200 AA A - $113
Yokohama AVS ES100 - 280 AA A - $118

I am open to suggestions on a tire that either we have overlooked or TireRack doesn't carry. Thanks.

Stuntman Mike
I Wanna Roc

The rs-2 is a better tire.  Although I can't speak about wear.

The tire debate continues.

I see a lot of Hankook and Azenias.  Most Yokohama's are a 180 treadwear and not within the rules.  The Dunlops look interesting too.

We run Toyo T1R's which have a 280 treadwear.  I found some in a 225/40r14.  They are short and fat and that's why we use them.  They seem to grip well and have decent wear.  They are a discontinued size so we will run out at some point.

In our first race, Houston 10/08, we wore the outer half of the tires pretty good but there is still a lot of tread left.  In our second race, Houston 2/09, we had more camber and wore the inside and outsides about the same amount.  So our wear is now more even and there's a bit more of it.  We also had a strut problem which increased our tire wear. 

Both sets of tires are good for at least another race.  If we keep the struts intact, we may see better tire life.  Race three will be New Orleans, 6/09.  Since we've never been there it's hard to say how things are going to work out.

Regarding tires and SCCA and NASA, I hear lots of Miata folks complaining about the new R888's wearing out about twice as fast as RA1's.  Either way, they only get a few weekends out of a set of RA1's.  I believe both those tires are like a 50 treadwear.  They shave the R888's, and probably most tires, to improve cooling which keeps the tires from becoming greasy and slippery.  The R888's seem to have more of an issue with becoming greasy and wearing fast mostly due to the softer compound.  These cars see way less track time in a weekend than our Lemons cars unless they race an enduro which is rare.

Another point, Runrummers raced Houston 10/08 on the same cheap ass radials from Walmart I run on my trailers.  They ain't fast, but they last.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

16 (edited by Pujo! 2009-05-10 10:44 AM)

mjfassio wrote:

Unfortunately for I Wanna Roc the stock IROC rims are 16" which means that there's not a whole lot of options on tires out there. We have been debating on several models and I thought I'd get some input from the group. All prices are from TireRack.com and the tire size is a 245/45ZR16

Hankook Ventus R-S2 - 200 AA A - $113
Yokohama AVS ES100 - 280 AA A - $118

I had a set of ES100's on my Audi years ago and replaced them with Bridgestone RE960's before they wore out because I disliked them so much. Do some searching around on Tire Rack and you can do a lot better or better yet just call them on the phone, their reps can recommend the best tire in the size you are looking for.

We used the Hankook RS2s on the STS2 Audi at South and got a full day of racing on a set (then sold 2 to the eventual winning BMW--who used them on the rear for day 2). Even on the heavy, lumbering Audi they tire wear was good, and they stayed pretty darn sticky all day. If you drove a few aggressive laps you could feel them start to slip more, but after another couple sane laps they grip came back. We will probably get another day out of the second set we put on the car.

I'm not a fan of the RT615s--I would never suggest them to someone I want to stay friends with or win a race, so you should all by them and use them exclusively.

Justin
Team Cardorks: #901 Amtrack E36 / # 902 Philly E30 / #903 Integra TypeArrr!
Driving something, somewhere.

Troy wrote:

Another point, Runrummers raced Houston 10/08 on the same cheap ass radials from Walmart I run on my trailers.  They ain't fast, but they last.

LOL...

Maybe if we had rotated the tires Saturday night instead of firing up the BBQ and pulling the cork on the Rum bottle I would'nt of had to finish the race on a flat tire...

Nah...This way was more fun!  LOL

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo269/gtodad/IMG_1828-66.jpg

1980 Chevy Malibu Classic

We ran the Azenis on our car and are going to something else. Possibly something harder....the RS2 looks like a good choice...but I am almost leaning toward something more suited to heat and abuse.

David Hedderick
Houston, TX
1986 325ese Shitbox Lemons car (sold...blowed up)
1990 miata drift car...like the BMW only slower and with a twisted chassis :\

20 (edited by Ottobon 2009-05-11 10:05 PM)

The Azenis are in my experience the best tire in their class.  They however become a (purpose built) drift tire if you start to drive them too hard, however if you keep your cool they should last a long time.  I ran a set for nearly 2 years worth of autocrosses and 5-6 track days on my MR2 +10k normal driving, they were all stripped and leaky by the time i sold the car but they had put up with ALOT.  I think the main thing is to keep in mind that as the tires get hotter they seem wear considerably faster, so if you can keep them from ever going in the red zone then you won't have any troubles.  RS2s have always overheated more/sooner then RT-615s, assuming their the same as they were back in 07.  (95% sure they are) 

Oh yeah, and of course, you should definitely look into heat-cycling your tires before racing on them, probably common sense for most but its a simple thing to do and a stupid thing to forget.

Ottobon wrote:

The Azenis are in my experience the best tire in their class.

As long as you only need them to last through a 20 minute HPDE stint, then maybe....but only if you are only doing two or three stints.

Justin
Team Cardorks: #901 Amtrack E36 / # 902 Philly E30 / #903 Integra TypeArrr!
Driving something, somewhere.

I'm sure there is some kind of car out there that performs better with the rt-615.  I sure haven't owned one.

For the Cavalier, 52psi was the secret to making the 615s last.

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 144 races and counting.
5/5/24

I too like the Azenis RT615s, but as said by others, they do wear fairly quickly. The good news is that they're fairly cheap in 14".

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

oneday wrote:
Ottobon wrote:

The Azenis are in my experience the best tire in their class.

As long as you only need them to last through a 20 minute HPDE stint, then maybe....but only if you are only doing two or three stints.

I have them on my 3300 lb Ford LTD and they lasted through eight 20 minute HPDE stints at California Speedway with plenty of tread left.

On the other hand, we nearly burned through a set on our 2200 lb BMW at the last Lemons race at Thunderhill. So it has a lot to do with how you drive.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.