Topic: No open sunroofs, but you can cut the roof off?

Forgive me, I'm a rookie, but am I reading correctly in the rules, that there can be no open sunroofs unless mesh (with openings of less than 1/2 inch) covers the opening?

Seems strange to have that rule, but allow the tops to be cut off MR2s and the like.

We're prepping a 1983 Porsche 944 and it would be nice to just ditch the removable sunroof, the clamps for which are pretty well shot anyway.  Anyone have suggestions on what type of mesh to use and where we can pick up something cheap like that?  Plastic landscape fencing, perhaps?

Re: No open sunroofs, but you can cut the roof off?

Yeah, doesn't seem to make much sense does it?

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

just use the 1/4" stiff wire mesh available at any home store.  Not chicken wire, not screen door scree.  It's going to keep your fingers away from the asphault and dirt and then asphault and then wall when you flip your amazing handling race car over.

Is it a glass sunroof, or a metal one? Just weld it shut...

Spinnetti wrote:

Yeah, doesn't seem to make much sense does it?

See rule 3.21 below. I suspect that the same requirement would apply to a sunroof-less hardtop.

3.21: Open T-Tops and Convertibles: Arm restraints are required when driving an open T-Top or convertible.

AppetiteforDestruction wrote:

Anyone have suggestions on what type of mesh to use and where we can pick up something cheap like that?  Plastic landscape fencing, perhaps?

Street sign smile

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

I think the original sunroof on a 944 is fiberglass.  Just make some brackets and bolt the sunroof in place.  Then add a bead of caulk to seal it.

Not all who wander are lost.

We have a targa top on our supra, we are going to remove it to weld the cage and the bolt it back in.. smile

Team Magnum PI ness  #357  -

106th place at Nelson Ledges - The Lamest Days
-oil pressure failure leading to engine failure

andyshoun wrote:

I think the original sunroof on a 944 is fiberglass.  Just make some brackets and bolt the sunroof in place.  Then add a bead of caulk to seal it.

I agree, this would be your best course of action.  But maybe it's just me.  I like having a roof over my head.  Of course the street sign deal is rather intriguing as well.....

Mike
Lab Rats Motorsports
1988 Mitsubishi/Dodge/Fiat Colt Carpocalypse Edition

CaptainRat wrote:

Of course the street sign deal is rather intriguing as well.....

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u9/VKZ24/P1020077.jpg

Works well!

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

ecugrad wrote:

Works well!

Sweet!  Taking notes....

Mike
Lab Rats Motorsports
1988 Mitsubishi/Dodge/Fiat Colt Carpocalypse Edition

Thanks to all.  We'll likely just bolt it in, though selling it (and its carry bag) still remains an option.

Sell it and rivet a piece of metal over the hole

Borrow the use of someone's welder at the track and weld it in place with 30 minutes left before tech closes... then once you pass tech, buy a case of Tecate to pay for the use of said welder.

Uberbird!

We used a piece of steel cut from a discarded steel shelf and then screwed it to the roof with self tapping screws.

Worked like a charm.

Soud

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

Spud wrote:

We used a piece of steel cut from a discarded steel shelf and then screwed it to the roof with self tapping screws.

Worked like a charm.

just make sure you always wear a helmet in the car, those pointy ends are pointy.

nothing says dedication like a couple of hairless grooves in your scalp.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

I tack welded our sunroof in place and it passed tech just fine...but bring liquor just in case.

No amount of booze will help with tech but it might help with the BS judges when it comes to your blatant cheating.

The Sharks
Home of the E28 Turbo Tuner Fish and the Hammered Head 944 Turbo