Topic: Austin F1 moves to Nov '12

Anyone else planning to make this? I haven't seen an f1 since Montreal about 10 years ago

http://www.insideline.com/car-news/texa … -date.html

organizer's choice 2011 Can't Git Bayou
judge's choice 2014 'Shine Country Classic
actually started AND finished a race 2014 Gator-O-Rama

Re: Austin F1 moves to Nov '12

We are planning on being there, a caravan full of gear heads decending on a friends ranch not far from the track, I am sure he will regret saying yes!
Now if F1 will settle on a date and the developers can convince Texas DOT to build them a 4 lane highway extension by race day everything will go smooth! Austin is already one of the worst traffic areas in Texas, Imagine what it will be like with 75-125K more people all trying to use a 3 lane county round at the same time, If it rains that week it will be even more fun, what could go wrong? I am sure Mr. Ecclestone will get his 20 mill up front and the developers will get another empty racing venue and the people of Austin will ge the bill. Isn't big business fun!

TEAM TONTO, 7 cylinders of thunder!
Now with 4 big Losses!
Steve was right

Predictions right now are for record traffic jams lasting hours before and after the event.  But the good news is that they're putting in a bicycle lane!

Pucker Factor Racing - Gator-O-Rama, Feb '11, Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas!, Oct '11
Scuderia Ignorante - Yee-Haw, It's Lemons Texas, Feb '12 (As seen in Car & Driver), Gator-O-Rama, Sept '13

The soonest I'll be going is 2013; V8 supercars, ftw!

Perennial Losers
Mazda 787b aka '75 914 - Org Choice @ The Ridge, 2015; IGS @ TH, 2018
BMW M1 Procar aka '80 RX-7 (retired) - Zero awards sad

The last F1 race I went to was Detroit 88. TURBOS!!!! Austin in Nov, I'm there. Do scooters count in the bicycle lane?

More importantly, when does Lemons run there?

I'll be doing the Baltimore Grand Prix. Indy is the practically the same thing as F1, right? Now if you'll excuse me, I think I have an appointment to be lynched by some F1 fans.

Seriously, though. This is going to be WAY more interesting because there are at least 2 railroad crossings involved, which means they'll either have to plate over them (which will be interesting in and of itself) or race over them (which will be the most interesting thing EVER)

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

I'd love to go. Hoping I can afford it.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

I predict I-35 between Dallas and Austin will become the seventh circle of hell, but in a straight line. I think I'll brave it if my wife doesn't plan something else for me that weekend.

10 (edited by stimpyvan 2011-08-13 08:32 AM)

Estimates are for 12 hours to and from the track.

http://www.statesman.com/sports/formula … 05095.html

The last F1 race I went to was Melbourne and I was able to park on the street within 6 blocks of the track all 3 days.  After the race, we sat in a pub until the fans and traffic were gone.  I don't suppose there are any pubs across the street from the Austin track...

13X losers (or is 14 now?) refusing to learn from our failures.
Organizer's Choice!  Trophy should have a bottle opener on it.

Detroit was like that. Park on the street just a few blocks away in downtown. Austin GP will be like Nascar  at Texas Motor Speedway, 5 hours to get to the interstate after the race ends.

TMS has gotten a lot better lately, Sergio. I think they finally figured out how to make the traffic flow right. After the last Nationwide race and the Indy race this summer, we pretty much had a straight shot out.

But I'm sure the first F1 race will be a traffic disaster. That's why I plan to steal Bernie's helicopter on the way out.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I've been to both Indy car and Nationwide races, the traffic was nothing because attendance is low. I've only been to 2 Cup races, it's been at least 6 years, so I don't know how it is now.

Mulry wrote:

TMS has gotten a lot better lately, Sergio. I think they finally figured out how to make the traffic flow right.

I thought at NASCAR that traffic flowed to the left?

Anyway, here's a link to more info on the track and other things F1 in Austin.  I've heard little about any new hotels in the area, and there's not really a whole lot along that stretch, a few tiny bars, small restaurants, I think there's still a strip club down there, some existing hotels for the airport, etc.

I think the comparison to TMS (in its earlier days) is actually pretty close.

Pucker Factor Racing - Gator-O-Rama, Feb '11, Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas!, Oct '11
Scuderia Ignorante - Yee-Haw, It's Lemons Texas, Feb '12 (As seen in Car & Driver), Gator-O-Rama, Sept '13