Topic: 14" tire choice for street-driven Miata?

A good friend of mine just bought a '91 Miata, and the tires that came on it are old & starting to crack with age.  The car has aftermarket 14" wheels on it; not sure if they are 5.5" or 6" wide.  Are there any reasonably-priced, sporty street tires still available in 14" sizes?  He is looking for something with a treadwear around 300 or lower; his wife will be driving the car most of the time, but he still wants something grippy so he can take the car out and hoon it from time to time smile

Thanks for your suggestions!

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

Re: 14" tire choice for street-driven Miata?

Direzza Star Specs!

^^^ This.

If the car is also going to see winter driving, get good snow tires too.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

^^^This!  ;-)

Snow tires are required if you're gonna drive it in the white stuff.  And don't drive on those old tires, a Miata with old tires is a handful.  I spun mine twice before wising up and replacing the old, hardened tires.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

Won't be driven in the winter, no worries there.

What size, 185/60-14?  He seems to want something fatter with a lower aspect ratio, and is frustrated with the lack of choices.

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

My guess would be  195/60 r14,  seems the more sporty 14" size.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Star Specs and Azenis are about the only "performance" tires you can get in 14", and 195/60 is pretty much it. Toyo may still make some 195/55's, they're not bad. (for purely street use)

Tell your friend to not get too wrapped up in low profile and wide and all that. It's a MIATA. It's a "true sports car". It's not fast, but all it takes is even a half-way decent set of tires and shocks that aren't dead and it will handle better than anything else he's ever driven. Accept it for what it is and have FUN with it!

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

8 (edited by EriktheAwful 2011-08-20 06:03 AM)

Doh! I posted a link to a $48 tire, then realized it was a 70 series. Nevermind.