Topic: cam lock or latch lock for harness?

Is a cam lock type harness a whole lot easier and faster to buckle than a latch and link type harness?  Basically is it worth the extra 100 or so bucks?

Re: cam lock or latch lock for harness?

Yes - cam lock is the way to go. You can insert the buckle end one at a time. With a latch type you need to get all 5 belts gathered up at once, in a particular order, THEN you can close the latch.  If you miss or goof you have to start all over again. With cam lock you can do one at a time.

Spud

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

Last I checked you could a G-Force cam lock belt for $150 and Summit.  But even if it cost more, it would be worth it.  They are easy to use.  Nuff said.

Mike
Lab Rats Motorsports
1988 Mitsubishi/Dodge/Fiat Colt Carpocalypse Edition

planters49 wrote:

Is a cam lock type harness a whole lot easier and faster to buckle than a latch and link type harness?  Basically is it worth the extra 100 or so bucks?

I have both, and use cam lock in my "real" race car, but for $100 savings (about the same number I found too), I think the latch style work just fine.. When I was a dumb kid, I had those in my street car too! Depends if you want to spend the money or not. I'm building up a new car, and will be using the latch style ones.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

I am very proficent with the latch style, to me, its not worth the price for the cam.

Team Magnum PI ness  #357  -

106th place at Nelson Ledges - The Lamest Days
-oil pressure failure leading to engine failure

Thanks for the comments.  I just ordered a G-Force 5 point camlock harness from Summit Racing.  If anybody is interested, I paid 128.00 for the harness from Summit.  They priced matched Jegs price of 129.99. (I get orders faster from Summit)

Summit Racing link:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GFR-7 … mage=large

Jegs
http://www.jegs.com/i/G-FORCE/471/7100BK/10002/-1

I caught a latch lock in my sleeve one time in the middle of a lap and knocked it loose. I've used cam locks ever since.

Bryan Bartzi
Nelson Ledges Roadcourse

Imo, the best low-cost harness is this one;

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RCI-9510CPL/ (available in 5 or 6 pt.)

seatbelts are only approved from two years (Lemons doesn't necessarily care about this, but others might). After two years, you have to get a new one. With the RCI platinum series, you ship it back to RCI and they will re-web (or less-likely send you new belts) for free and put a new label on there that is good for two years. So basically, 4 years of approved harness use for one low price.

What kind of bushing do you guys use or recommend for the lap belt bracket to pivot?  I saw this from Schroth.
http://www.schrothracing.com/store/Comp … n-hardware
Scroll to the bottom Sleeves for Bolt in Bracket

I like my M&R camlocks.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

theallpowerfulme wrote:

seatbelts are only approved from two years (Lemons doesn't necessarily care about this, but others might). After two years, you have to get a new one.

With Lemons its four:

"3.5: Five- or Six-Point Harnesses: Five- or six-point harnesses mandatory, including fifth or fifth/sixth "anti-submarine" belt. All harnesses must be SFI or FIA approved; dated within four years of the race; and properly mounted."

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Riktor wrote:

With Lemons its four:

"3.5: Five- or Six-Point Harnesses: Five- or six-point harnesses mandatory, including fifth or fifth/sixth "anti-submarine" belt. All harnesses must be SFI or FIA approved; dated within four years of the race; and properly mounted."

yeah that is why I said "Lemons doesn't necessarily care about this, but others might". Lemons lets you use a two-year belt for four, so after four years, I can send in my rci platinum belt, and get another four years for free.

txryder wrote:

What kind of bushing do you guys use or recommend for the lap belt bracket to pivot?  I saw this from Schroth.
http://www.schrothracing.com/store/Comp … n-hardware
Scroll to the bottom Sleeves for Bolt in Bracket

We use the Simpson harness kit on the lap & sub belt.
Makes harness removal for vehicle work much easier:

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

+1 on cam locks!

We had to have someone else latch us in with the belts in the spring, we are now using cam locks.

Lemons CMP spring- Dorkis Craptastic Racing-82nd place
Lemons CMP fall-Team Phoenix-Risen from asses!  We try again!!
Same car, but now we have a theme!  So at least we will look good while broke!