Topic: ERW vs DOM

Once painted, how do you tell the difference between ERW and DOM tubing?

Re: ERW vs DOM

I don't know.

I think cages will go to a DOM standard at some point.  Maybe soon, maybe not but if you are planning to build a car to race for a while you should plan on DOM.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

receipts for the tubing that was purchased-- and/or sand some paint off of the tube and I believe the ERW will have a darkened line on it where it was welded together.

FWIW: DOM is also welded tubing that is afterwards drawn over a mandrel to even out wall thickness. CDS is seamless and difficult to acquire in needed dimensions for mere peasants. FIA requirements call for "seamless" or CDS and US organizations frequently allow for the substitution of DOM.

I went round and round with DOM vs CDS tubing for our Lemons mini with Rally America and NASA and both would allow 1.5 x .095 for the main 4 legs if the tubing were CDS but they wanted 1.75 x .095 if it were DOM. One organization would have allowed 1.5 x .120 DOM but can't remember which one. (Why bother with FIA/NASA/RA regs? Well, new Lemons reqs call for "professionally built" cage so I figured if a home built cage passed tech for those organizations then it should suffice for Lemons.)

4 (edited by Troy 2009-08-31 08:11 AM)

I emailed Jay about this and some other things recently.

(Tuesday, August 25, 2009)

My question:

What are the chances of roll cage requirements increasing in the future?

I used a Jegster kit which is NHRA approved but not SCCA or NASA approved.  I am concerned that you may go to a DOM requirement in the future.  I/We are looking at 2 or 3 more cage installs and I don't mind the Jegster kit as long as it will continue to pass tech.  An SCCA approved kit from Autopower or Kirk should have no problems with any potential cage requirement changes but they are about $1000 versus $300.  Would we be able to grandfather a Jegster cage if that became necessary?

Jay's Response:

Cages: a) I don't plan on going to DOM at the moment, but as soon as some idiot crushes himself with a seamed cage, you'd better believe our insurer will make us go DOM. Would you rather spend $1000 once, or $700 twice? b) why are you even asking about NHRA cages, Troy? You already know the answer. There's a reason the JEGs kit is not SCCA approved, and a reason it only costs 300 bucks. At the end of the day, you're safer by far just getting the AP or Kirk cage and doing it once and not worrying about it anymore, especially since the JEGs shit isn't jigged for individual cars. (Yes, it says it's custom fit, but that's crap. They have about three jigs that are supposed to cover every damn car in the world. The AP and Kirk stuff is actually jigged for your chassis as promised, so you don't spend another $500 and 20 hours modifying it to fit--in short, getting the right thing is not only safer and faster, it ends up being cheaper. Just do it, already.)

So I encourage teams to strongly consider a cage like an Autopower or Kirk.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

We went with DOM because we knew it would be accepted anywhere, but I still don't see how the ERW tubing is really that much weaker.  Either way, the tubing is rolled from flat stock and welded together.  The difference (as stated previously) is the DOM has a more consistent wall thickness after being drawn over a mandrel. 

I guess I'd like to see the data (or a real world example) where a cage failed because ERW was used.  If the cage were to fail it would be much more likely to be caused by poor welding at the joints than by using ERW over DOM.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:

We went with DOM because we knew it would be accepted anywhere, but I still don't see how the ERW tubing is really that much weaker.  Either way, the tubing is rolled from flat stock and welded together.  The difference (as stated previously) is the DOM has a more consistent wall thickness after being drawn over a mandrel.

The difference is the the welded area of the tube is significantly strengthened by cold working as the mandrel squished the weld flat.  ERW tubing is weaker along the weld.

http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/
http://www.teamdfl.com
"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."
Prepping the Red wReck for the 24 Hours of Lemons

DOM is stronger, but not in a roll cage application...the heat affected zone of the cage's welds are a far more likely place for a failure than a tube seam...if the tube is pressurized internally, like in a hydraulic system, it's different. I'd rather race in an ERW cage with good welds and extensive gusseting than a DOM cage without. Insurers won't see it that way, of course, because they just look at the specs and say "stronger". Jay is doing the right thing by using thickness, diameter, design and welding as the criteria for tech failure, not tube specs.

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Spank wrote:

receipts for the tubing that was purchased-- and/or sand some paint off of the tube and I believe the ERW will have a darkened line on it where it was welded together.

Can you really sand some paint off to tell the difference? Since DOM is essentially ERW that is cold drawn, does the weld seam disappear?  I'm looking at a car for racing in another series (ARCA), MAYBE Lemons in the future with some cage modifications, but I can't tell if it's DOM or ERW.  Hell, it could be pipe for all I know. 

How do the tech inspectors determine if it's ERW or DOM in series that require it?  Reciepts can be faked, so is there some other way?

DOM is almost twice as strong in terms of tensile and yield strength over ERW.

ERW = 45K psi tensile, 32K psi yield
DOM = 80K psi tensile, 70K psi yield

http://www.emjmetals.com/esl/

Tyrannosullyrex wrote:

The question is does it need to be twice as strong?  Obviously you can apply overkill to anything.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:
Tyrannosullyrex wrote:

The question is does it need to be twice as strong?  Obviously you can apply overkill to anything.

Ever seen a cage bend?  I have...  It doesn't take all that much pressure to bend a cage especially if that pressure is appied in the "right" spot - a few tons pressure at the center top of the windshield will pretty much collapse a cage.

If it's only $1/foot more for a DOM vs. ERW, I'll take DOM everytime.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Pretty much the worst pressure in the worst spot.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r123/VolvoHeretic/Volvowreckedandcrushedrollbar.jpg

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

"Strong" isn't the point....if the cage is properly designed, triangulated and gusseted it will protect the driver...by that argument you could use chrome-moly....since these are largely amateur-built cages, I think safest is the material that can be welded safely with home equipment and non-pro skills...ERW or DOM. Unless you're trying to save weight by down gauging the wall thickness, ERW should be fine. If you can get DOM cheaply, go for it, but it won't be the cold-working of the tubes that saves your life in an accident...The difference in price could add 100-150 bucks to the material cost....about the price of a shielding gas kit for a home MIG welder...or an upgrade to a better welder. If I have to choose, I'll stake my life on strong welds and softer tubing.

Jim "Endo" Anderton

You probably have to strip the paint to visually inspect for ERW vs. DOM.  ERW cage stuff is usually available in .134 wall vs. .120 wall DOM so a quick wall thickness check at an inspection hole.  If you want to go out of your way to use .120 ERW to fool future inspectors, that is out there as well.

It seems that SCCA, NASA, BMWCCA, PCA, and others have all gone away from ERW which means the Lemons will probably do the same thing in one to ten years.

CDS is fine as well with strength similar to DOM.  The problem is the CDS offers less elongation before failure so DOM is better for cages in my opinion.  FIA and rally organizations obviously have a different opinion.

"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."

Are there any tech inspectors here that have had to check for ERW vs DOM?  I just need to know how to check, I don't care which is stronger (stop threadjacking).  It seems the answer is to sand some paint off to check, but is this confirmed? 

TEAMDFL, the wall thickness is helpful, but are you saying you cannot get .134 DOM?

BTW, poopsmith FTW!

16 (edited by TeamDFL 2009-09-01 12:31 PM)

bacon117 wrote:

TEAMDFL, the wall thickness is helpful, but are you saying you cannot get .134 DOM?

You can get .134 in DOM or seamless but it is much harder to find.

Unless you want to drag around ultrasonic or x-ray equipment, a visual inspect is the only way to know for sure.  Either remove the paint gently so as to not disturb the surface too much or cut a piece of the tubing and look inside.

In theory, you could feel the seam of ERW through an inspection hole with a pick if the seam saw on the opposite side of the tubing from the hole.

TeamDFL wrote:
bacon117 wrote:

You can get .134 in DOM or seamless but it is much harder to find.

Unless you want to drag around ultrasonic or x-ray equipment, a visual inspect is the only way to know for sure.  Either remove the paint gently so as to not disturb the surface too much or cut a piece of the tubing and look inside.

In theory, you could feel the seam of ERW through an inspection hole with a pick if the seam saw on the opposite side of the tubing from the hole.

Based on how the tubing is made, this makes sense..  Basically it seems like DOM would be a harder requirment to enforce. Anyway, I already planned on using DOM for the Lemons car, I just wanted to know how to find out what is in my ARCA car.  Thanks for the info!

RobL wrote:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r123 … ollbar.jpg

WTH happened there, was everyone involved ok?

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

RogueLeader wrote:
RobL wrote:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r123 … ollbar.jpg

WTH happened there, was everyone involved ok?

:dunno:

I found that picture with only a couple of minutes searching trying to find a rollcage crushed in the way that I was describing (answering the question about wanting the tubing to be twice as strong).  As you can see - this was 100% tube failure, not welds breaking or bad design.  If there was someone buckled in that seat correctly, they have a broken neck.

Note that the front tubes aren't triangulated....if they'd added a "wing bar" a la NASCAR, it may have held up better by resisting the load pulling the front verticals back.  Looks like it hit a tree inverted.

Jim "Endo" Anderton