Topic: Trailer Maintenance

so i made an impulsive buy last night.

The Good
it has a 20' deck
Tandom 6000lbs axles
brakes
spare tire
I no longer have to borrow a trailer form a former coworker or Jackasic or G7owl / Markdas

The Bad
it has a 6 pin connection, but my van only has a 4 pin
the entire thing needs to be sanded and repainted
it is a homebuilt, so i need to get my own title
I dont know how my HOA is gonna like it

The Ugly
the deck will need replacement before anything over 1 ton gets on it
One tire is badly dry-wrought
that same tire is within .5" of the trailer frame when the others are 1"
the previous owner doesn't know if the brakes work
he also doesnt know when the bearings were last repacked

So, my question is basic trailer maintenance: What should be done for maintenance and how often?

Other not so important questions but a suitable place to discuss:
What are your opinions on trailer decks: wood, composite, or metal?
Anyone ever tried to register a homebuilt trailer in Texas?

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Re: Trailer Maintenance

Wood.

I haven't heard of composite trailer decks.  Is this something like Trex that they use on house decks?  That stuff is not very strong at all.

Metal lasts, but is a slick as snot when wet.  Wood will last for the life of the rest of the trailer if you paint it every few years.

What kind of brakes?  Electric or surge?

-Victor

Registration:  Find form VTR-305-A here http://www.txdmv.gov/whatyouneed/forms/ … ration.htm

Under 4000 lbs gross weight doesn't need VIN or annual inspection.  You don't even get a title.  Walk in with the form and money and walk out with a plate.  They don't need to see it (or a picture), verify weight, or anything like that.  A heavier trailer is a little more hassle and money--it needs a VIN, a special one-time inspection to validate the VIN, and then a new inspection sticker every year.  Basic liability insurance is on the truck's policy, so you don't need to show a separate policy for registration, but you might want to call your agent if you want any optional coverage.

If the trailer has electric brakes, you'll need a brake controller for the van, which will require more wires than your 4-pin connector.  Don't bother with a 6-pin connector; go for a 7-pin so that you can tow with the factory tow package wiring on just about any truck built since the mid-90's.  The connector is less than 10 bucks per end, plus wires.  A cheap brake controller for 1-2 axles ranges $50 to $100 plus wiring, circuit breakers, etc.  My '03 GMC was pre-wired , so drilling two holes in the bottom of the dash for the bracket took the most time and I was done in 5 minutes, but my motorhome needed to be wired from the battery to the dash to the back bumper, all of which took more than two hours to do.

I wouldn't be surprised if the one oddball tire is a different size than the others.  Obviously replace the dryrotted one.  Check the date codes on the others and replace those tires if they are unsafe.  Keep the load rating of the tires in mind, too.

It's easier to check wheel bearings soon in your driveway instead of at the worst possible time on the side of the freeway.  While you're at it, check the brakes.

If it has a wood deck on it now and you replace that with steel, the fenders will be another inch and a quarter or so higher relative to the floor.  Not a big deal hauling a crapcan with no windows, but if you later want to haul a low car like a Vette, you might not be able to open the car's door.  I prefer a metal deck, though.  Consider leaving the center section undecked, at least at the rear.  It makes strapping the car down a little less gymnastic, and may help with pitside bottom-end maintenance.  Add a couple of deck lights, too.  And a winch.  If the trailer doesn't have a dovetail already and you are going to re-deck it anyway, consider adding one.

I welded a receiver onto the front of my trailer, and boled the male mating piece to the bottom of my winch.  This way, the winch is held in with a hitch pin, which makes it simple to remove and store inside my truck so it stays out of the weather and away from  thieves' temptations. 

Replace the tires.  And carry that spare.  From someone's who been there and done all that with trailer tires. 

If it has a wood deck now I'd replace with same.  My trailer's a steel deck, yes it is slippery when wet, but its also, you know, steel. 

Make sure the trailer's got plenty of hard points for securing to.  You can never have enough.  I like D-rings bolted to the deck, and over-the-wheel tie down straps.  Axle straps work well on solid rear axle cars.  Securing the car via the wheels or axles is much better than trying to tie down the body.  Let the car's suspension work.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

Trailer maintenance is a large part of my job. Jack up one side, removed the wheels and repack the bearings with quality grease. You can install bearing buddies, but they won't show you the condition of the grease inside the hub. I pop the caps off my trailer hubs once a year to see the condition and amount of grease in the hubs. If the grease is turning opaque, water's getting in. If you only see grease down in the workings of the bearing, you don't have enough. If the grease is turning black and getting shiny bits, your bearing's going out.

If you can get some dielectric grease to put in the light plug, do it. It'll help keep your pins from corroding away.

I installed a crappy $20/2000lb hand-crank winch on mine and it was very useful. Unfortunately it had a rope-core wire cable, so I had to replace it. I was broke so I installed another $20 winch. Next time it'll be an electric winch with a steel cable.

Open centers are nice for cargo straps and weight, but my wife is always wanting me to trailer home some furniture, haul off some of my loose car parts, or help move inlaws, so a solid deck is more suited for me.

I wish my trailer had a crapload of D-rings. Instead I have to get creative with the straps. Next time I remember I'll buy about 8 D-rings and weld them on it.

Locks, locks, and more locks. My trailer is kept in my backyard, guarded by a chainlink fence and a dog, hidden by a large blackjack tree and some bushes. I have a ball lock, a pintle lock, and a thick chain through the wheels. If it looks like stealing it is going to be a PITA, most thieves will move on. They don't want to work hard to make a living.

Oh, and be mindful of the First Law of Trailer Ownership: Non-running project cars become an even greater temptation when you have an easy way to drag them home. 

Case in point: before I owned a car-hauler, I had 4 cars in my collection.  Today I have close to thirty.  I still only have 4 that run.

'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"

trailer in question:
http://hphotos-snc7.fbcdn.net/327531_244770315558802_135399186495916_629347_6791868_o.jpg

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Bearings first, as mentioned re-pack. Re-check once a year or before you tow. Bearing buddies are mostly good for boat trailers that go in the water, they just keep the whole hub area full of grease so the water stays out.

Brakes, 6 pin connector means you have electrics? Those are sacrificial brake/coil assemblies. Check them and make sure they work, and maybe get new brake pad assemblies.

Adjustable controller for the electric brake system. So you can adjust the trailer braking based on its loaded weight. A light trailer with brakes set for a loaded trailer will lock the wheels and chew up your tires. A loaded trailer with brakes set for an empty trailer is no help and you'll rear end someone or slide of the end of the drag strip.

This however means you need to run some additional wiring from your dash board back to the 6 pin connector at the rear bumper.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

any recommendations for a brake controller?

Hoonatic Racing wrote:

any recommendations for a brake controller?

I think this is the model I've had for a couple years.  No problems so far.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-h … ollers.htm

I found a Tekonsha P2 through Amazon (I had a gift card to burn) and added the Ford adapter harness. It has worked fine so far, though it dislikes the flavor of Troy's flatbed due to a possible short in the wiring.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

you too would be short if you had to work with Troy all the time

John, I've got one of these and it works just fine:

http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-47235-Imp … B000CMFUK6

I think it's easy to spend a lot of money on brake controllers, but they basically all do the same thing. This one (like most, it seems) brings on the trailer brake circuit incrementally to help avoid fishtailing in the wet, especially with an unladen trailer. It works fine on my truck. Good luck.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

If I may add - since this is a tandem and you are going to be digging into this thing you might check the alignment of the axles.  From experience nothing sucks more than trying to do a 3000 mile racing trip when you blow a trailer tire every day due to alignment issues.  That's exactly when you don't have time to do anything more than change tires because you need to get to the track/next track.  It helps if you check it with something nice and heavy loaded on the trailer.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:

...nothing sucks more than trying to do a 3000 mile racing trip when you blow a trailer tire every day due to alignment issues.

On a related note, at some point while you've got the wheels jacked off the ground, make darned sure the axles are firmly affixed to the suspension and the suspension to the frame.  I towed my single-axle trailer from Seattle to Chicago with a car on it before noticing the rapid, irregular tire wear resulting from loose U-bolt shackles between the axle and leaf springs on one side.  My passenger and I didn't feel a thing going down the road, but the axle clearly must have been wobbling quite a bit.  I tightened the nuts (and replaced the tires) before the return trip and it's been fine ever since.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Replace the tires, and buy a spare (including wheel)  i'm not sure why, but trailers blow tires hella often.  Getting stuck on the side of the road, while you figure how and where to get a trailer tire at midnight sucks.

Maximum Effort Motorsports - Mid-engine 1979 Chevette - Class C Winner - GP Du Lac Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
New England Long Winter Build Award - 2015
IOE Winner, Loudon Annoying 2011, Judges Choice - Loudon Annoying 2012
Class C & Least Horrible Yank Tank winner - Boston Tow Party & Overhead Cam Bake 2011

It helps if your LeMon has the same bolt pattern as your trailer. Of course it sucks if you *think* your LeMon has the same bolt pattern and it's actually 1/4" off and you have to leave your trailer parked in Perry, Oklahoma for a day until you can get back up there with a fresh tire.

mike944 wrote:

Replace the tires, and buy a spare (including wheel)  i'm not sure why, but trailers blow tires hella often.  Getting stuck on the side of the road, while you figure how and where to get a trailer tire at midnight sucks.

are you using 4-ply trailer tires, or regular car tires?

EriktheAwful wrote:

It helps if your LeMon has the same bolt pattern as your trailer. Of course it sucks if you *think* your LeMon has the same bolt pattern and it's actually 1/4" off and you have to leave your trailer parked in Perry, Oklahoma for a day until you can get back up there with a fresh tire.

the Lemons is 4x100 on the back, 4x4.5 on the front
the trailer is a 6 lug
the van is an 8 lug

i had to get a 20' trailer for the 12' car just to have room for all the spare tires

Hoonatic Racing wrote:
mike944 wrote:

are you using 4-ply trailer tires, or regular car tires?

I've always used trailer tires.   not sure what everybody else uses, but every single person i know who owns a trailer has some horror story of being stranded somewhere with a blown tire.

Maximum Effort Motorsports - Mid-engine 1979 Chevette - Class C Winner - GP Du Lac Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
New England Long Winter Build Award - 2015
IOE Winner, Loudon Annoying 2011, Judges Choice - Loudon Annoying 2012
Class C & Least Horrible Yank Tank winner - Boston Tow Party & Overhead Cam Bake 2011

Actually, get two spares, really.

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

Most "trailer" tires are bias plies.  Something about bias plies don't flat spot from sitting.  Aside from that attribute or whatever redeeming quality it is bias plies have, they have drawbacks.

They will get weird wear patterns more the radials and tend to blow easier from my experience.  Even passenger rated radials seem to work fine with me, curbs don't discriminate.

I've noticed many heavy trailers with 8 lug stuff have radial truck tires.  The 5 lug 3500# stuff tend to run 225/70r15 bias plies.

Most 5k and up axles are 6 or 8 lug.  While you can swap from 6 to 8 lug because they use the same spindle, new hubs, brakes wheels and tires can get pricey quick.

Our boats have bearing buddies, our haulers do not.  Bearing buddies tend to blow grease out the rear seal which ends up inside the wheel making it nice and messy.

For your Ford van, track down the OEM stuff for towing and convert the trailer to the large plug.  With the factory towing package stuff, the electronic brakes become very plug and play, they are on a separate fuse from the truck lights and in your case the transmission OD stuff.

As Chris mentioned, our black trailer has some issue with the brakes.  My Tekonsha controller knows it's plugged in and I am sending power to the winch battery but I ain't getting brakes either.  I just wired my truck's brakes for ECR when Chris and Mary first borrowed the black trailer so I need to look into it.

I am sure your close tire is due to rim offset.  Our spare is wider than the oem wheels and the tire damn near rubs the well.  Just realized this.  I may have to track down a narrower wheel for the spare which suck cause I bought that one new a while back.  I tried running my F150 spare once and even though they had the same pattern, the offset didn't work and the tire rubbed.

A spare hub isn't a bad idea either.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Do not use passenger car tires on a trailer.  The sidewalls aren't meant for that type of loading.  Use trailer rated tires.  Trailer tires are available in either bias or radial- make sure you use the same type on each axle- you can mix radial and bias on a double axle trailer, as long as you keep the same type per axle.  Something about side-to-side osciallations and wear. 

I've had 3 flat tires on my trailer in 2 years.  Trailers just take a lot of abuse, that's what they're designed for.

23 (edited by zebrabeefj40 2011-09-12 09:42 AM)

Troy wrote:

Most "trailer" tires are bias plies.  Something about bias plies don't flat spot from sitting.  Aside from that attribute or whatever redeeming quality it is bias plies have, they have drawbacks.

BS on the flatspotting thing.  My other hobby is rockcrawling where bias Super Swampers are the king cheap tire.  A known trait is flat spots that get to be rounded out for the first few miles.

What makes a bias tire great is the way the belts wrap around the tire making the sidewall as thick as the tread.  The sidewalls on bias tires will put up with more abuse than typical radials.

All that said, my car hauler rides on 14" radial Maxxis 8008 trailer tires.  I've run them from IN to the east coast a couple times this year in the heat of summer with no issues.  At least two of the trips were at max weight in 95 degree weather.

Only issue I've had was a brake adjuster fell out of position ('cause I didn't adjust it for wear) and wedged that brake on.  If the trailer wasn't loaded with firewood that tire would have probably locked and dragged.  Instead the brake pads were worn out and the paint burned off the drum.  New loaded brake backing plate and all is well.

Nick

Nick
Focke Ewe racing -> Muttonheads! Racing -> Torque Junkies
86ish VW GTI...now with TDI Powah!

I'm a little late to this, but if you're still looking for decking, go engineered cedar.  It's sturdy, lightweight, and easy to work with.  You can drill holes in it for d-rings or better yet lay e-track on it. KEEP IT PAINTED!  Go to us cargo.com for the really cool bits!

Putting the "dirty" in Dirty Little Freaks Racing
~stalk us on facebook