Re: How we updated an Autopower cage

Nothing was extended, the autopower sleeve was just welded up.

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Were the roof bars added to satisfy the 2" rule? How may did you add? Our civic cage is bordering on being to low. I'll add roof bars to it if that will help the cage pass.

I bit the bullet an ripped out our crappy "custom" Jeggs cage.  Had Evil put in a muc safer, better welded, with dash bar cage.  I wish I had known the first time, but so many of us think/thought that the $500 car concept extends to other parts of the race,  IT does not.   Pay up for Cages, Seats and Firebottles.  This is less expensive racing, not cheap racing.

29 (edited by Tabbasco 2012-11-30 07:14 AM)

I just finished a build on a Porsche 944 starting with an Autopower cage...decided to internally sleeve it with 1.5 DOM (.12 in the side bars and .135 in the roll hoops) I used 7-8 inch inserts to exceed all requirements.

My cage hasn't passed tech yet...so I make no promises till then but I worked with John (there cage expert) to finish this cage.

I would post pics but I am a newb to this forum

host the pics somewhere like flickr or picasa or whatever

find the link to the picture all by itself, it should be www.123.gif or www.123.jpg or something similar.

put that link in some image tags {img]www.123.gif[/img}

instant pictures.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

Props to Evil Genius for putting this thread together with so many pictures and explanations.

I followed it to the letter and my modded AutoPower cage passed tech with no issues.  Granted, it took me about two months of weekends to cut the old cage out, clean up the mount points, cut new spreader plates, notch new tubing, and weld everything back together.  But in the end, I had a nice cage!

What an AutoPower cage looks like without spreader plates...

http://thegarageblog.com/garage/wp-content/uploads/mcrash09.jpg

We put in much bigger spreader plates, do we have to weld the bolts that hold the cage together as well as the joints. We did 360 welds on all joints including the couplers with the bolts in them.

The proper way to increase the structural strength of the bolt in cage;
The picture doesn't show the floor pan or the plate under the floor.

The crush box  reduces the push through.   Adding a  bar that actually sits on the sills and connects the front down tube to the main hoop will make the cage almost as punch  through resistant as any weld in cage.( By engaging the sills, not the floor pan.) .
  Welding the base plates instead of bolting actually reduces the floor pan 's integrity, by  crystallizing the  weld line.  Bolts are better, a rubber pad better.  Welding the pads on really large plates , with those plates connecting to the sills or rear bulkhead/Rocker box / sills,  are also fine.

Mike Ogren, Racing in Florida, GA. 
352 4288-983

34 (edited by mogren 2013-12-29 11:53 AM)

The above Mustang had a bolt in hoop only, not a cage of any type. The 2 guys walked away lucky.
While I dont like the auto power stuff, the mustang did not have one.
Please remove the above statement, as it is bad info.   Thanks, MM

352 4288-983

http://www.ogren-engineering.com/patent … tions.html
per above posting .
MM

352 4288-983

Mike, I think john's (John pagel, Lemons tech head) intent was to demonstrate that it would take a fair bit of work to make a bolt - in cage Lemons legal. 

Your insight and expertise will be welcomed over here.   I'm sorry that you became collateral damage over there.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

37 (edited by FJ40Jim 2013-12-30 11:09 AM)

mogren wrote:

http://www.ogren-engineering.com/patent … tions.html
per above posting .
MM

Neat idea.

In the picture:
http://www.ogren-engineering.com/uploads/1/6/8/5/16859314/418001_orig.jpg

Is plate #1 inside the cabin, or is it the backer underneath the floor?

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

Thanks Jim, 
The picture doesn't show the floor pan or the plate under the floor.
It is one of the patent app pics.    The burst loading is around 180-200% of the plate sitting on the floor.     The burst # varies with /dependent upon ; How sttiff the ends of the cage are attatched to the front floor and the rear pickups. If the bolt in cage is a loose fit at the joints the burst value is lower due to  more crush needed to load the ends.
If the cage is solid at the joints the ends load up sooner .  Pretty simple .

Michael and I are going to run more actual in car testing next , one side crush box ,one side stock bolt in.   I did the same 12yrs agao but tossed the book some how. 
This all started   around 1983 when a competitor flipped his Dodge  dart and the cage punched,  killing the kid.  Iwanted to run the Dart but could not find one so I had a Buick.     Buick and I  won the track championship 1982.

352 4288-983