26 (edited by saabsgonewild 2009-09-14 11:20 AM)

Re: Cheating bar raised at CMP

Loren wrote:

+Good to hear that the Saab was (apparently) not actually cheating as rumored.  Wonder if the new clutch will be included in their budget next time out?  wink

Actually they didn't put in a new clutch, they cleaned the oil off the disk, pressure plate and flywheel, removed the flywheel and discovered that the clutch shaft seal was basically missing.  They didn't have a direct replacement and so "Used some stuffing box sealing rope for my 50's Chris Craft and silicone sealer to fill the seal area and then added a flat washer with a slot to direct leaking oil down into the bell housing.  Finished a little after 2 AM, slept 2.5 hours and then towed back to CMP."  A direct quote from their email to me last night telling me about their experiences.

I told them that I wish we were that close to our base at any race we do.   I would be able to cut down on all of the stuff we bring and never use.  Also we've run complete clutches in three races without issue.

drivinhard wrote:

~20 yr old POS Taurus SHO

Were you the Burgundy or the White Taurus?

I almost rear ended you guys on Sunday in T12 because you picked your left rear tire up what seemed to be a foot in the air.  I had seen VW's do it but not a freakin' Taurus!!!  I kinda stared at it for a second and then was like SHIT, I gotta keep driving!

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

ecugrad wrote:
drivinhard wrote:

~20 yr old POS Taurus SHO

Were you the Burgundy or the White Taurus?

I almost rear ended you guys on Sunday in T12 because you picked your left rear tire up what seemed to be a foot in the air.  I had seen VW's do it but not a freakin' Taurus!!!  I kinda stared at it for a second and then was like SHIT, I gotta keep driving!

we were the burgundy one.  we had no front sway bar, it helps keep inside wheelspin down and makes the car rotate rather nicely despite it's probably 70/30 front/rear weight split in race/gutted trim.  lol

but yeah, with the front bar unhooked, it'll lift up it's rear inside leg and pee like your dog on a mailbox post smile

Hey Mark! So who was in the white SHO? Did they drop out with 3 hours to go? It's fun racin crap cans.

That's a fantastic Lemons fix story, Saabsgonewild!  I love it!  Makes me sad that so many people assumed the car was hardcore cheating because it was so much faster on Sunday.  A working clutch makes all the difference in the world, eh?

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

31 (edited by drivinhard 2009-09-14 11:45 AM)

sergio wrote:

It's fun racin crap cans.

My muscle memory/vision memory/speed index for CMP is in a C5 Z06 running Hoosier A6's. 

When I threw the SHO into the 1st corner at race speed, I went 4 off.  LOL.  Wow this thing doesn't turn.  Been awhile since I was in a SHO saddle smile

the white SHO was team CMP.  they were really fast up till they blew up.  talked to the guy who set the car up, nice guy

drivinhard wrote:

but yeah, with the front bar unhooked, it'll lift up it's rear inside leg and pee like your dog on a mailbox post smile

I should have some in-car of that, I'll try to post it when we get it chopped up.

You guys have to be HELL on the front tire edges.

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

ecugrad wrote:
drivinhard wrote:

I should have some in-car of that, I'll try to post it when we get it chopped up.

You guys have to be HELL on the front tire edges.

yeah we lost a lot of time rotating tires.  left front edge was taking a beating.  even with the decent neg camber, it really chews on the edges.  I guess we'll just crank in even more camber if we do it again.

sergio wrote:

Hey Mark! So who was in the white SHO? Did they drop out with 3 hours to go? It's fun racin crap cans.

That was the CMP track managers in the white SHO. I don't know why they came off track.

Chris

TrackGeeks wrote:
sergio wrote:

That was the CMP track managers in the white SHO. I don't know why they came off track.

Chris

overheated/rad according to the guy who built the car

Was there an RCR Car there???

drivinhard wrote:
TrackGeeks wrote:
sergio wrote:

Chris

overheated/rad according to the guy who built the car

I sent you an email last Monday but never heard back.

A few thoughts from a spectator-

I'll believe the Lightning McQueen car being consistent and staying out of trouble, because it surprised the heck out of me to see them so far up on the rankings- they never even registered in my little brain.

I don't know how much work the USS Enterprise team had into their suspension, but I was shocked at how flat that car ran through the corners. Never figured out what it was, either... rear end kinda said Monaco to me? 10th fastest lap, very impressive

Loved seeing the Benz (722) hanging the tail out coming on to the front straight

I don’t know why #93 started out so many laps down, but that car was nuts… every time they got back onto it you’d see heads turn. That, and the wicked turbo hiss from #77.

I guess #91 blew up? That car was hauling ass when I left.

Huge props to the Perpetual Downforce team for not rolling that beast onto its side (at least while I was there), as well as keeping some absurdity on the field.

Apart from words like “Team”, “Racing”, “of”, and “the”, the most common word in team names appears to be “Beaver”. Top notch.

I’m glad RacingNemo managed to get out onto the track at some point… cute theme, but I never saw it leave the pit.

Maybe next time i'll be on the right side of the fence...

unknownroad wrote:

I don't know how much work the USS Enterprise team had into their suspension, .

don't know either, but did you listen to that motor and see how hard that barge would pull in a straight line?  I think yates was testing the next gen Ford Cup engine in that thing big_smile

I think it was Scott Barton. In fact I know Scott, him and I were having a blast that first session/2nd day. Scott is one hell of a driver. I was so afraid of passing him as that barge would swing left and right as he went around the corners, I was afraid of getting punted out of CMP like a golf ball.

Bill Strong
Racing Strong Motorsports
Like us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/RacingStrong

Loren wrote :

<<<I got a kick out of the class-winning Saab that got towed home Saturday night (we followed it as we were going out for dinner) and apparently received turbocharged power for Sunday that it didn't have Saturday.  If that rumor is true... now THAT is cheating!>>>

Loren,

I find your comment about Miss Piggy rather entertaining...wish you'd have followed us back to Greenville to help fix her.

Our car is a turbo 900 which is exactly the way it was at tech.  Once we fixed the injection problem found on Friday afternoon (by driving back to Greenville for and returning at midnight), our car actually made a few horsepower.  Unfortunately we then discovered once racing started on Saturday morning that the clutch was slipping.  Our first pit stop confirmed we were losing tranny oil.  I ran my entire first session almost exclusively in 3rd gear to minimize clutch action and had to feather foot it.  The rest of the team did the same.

Mid afternoon we blew a coolant hose.  My daughter saw the gauge going up and came in saving the motor.  We did a field fix and I took it out for final hour or so.  For reasons unknown, maybe the hot water bath helped, the clutch hooked up and I started to hammer it.

We suspected a failed clutch shaft seal and towed home to use whatever we had at home to fix it...note we did not have a seal.  Pulling it apart, starting at 10:30, we found the moron that previously owned this car changed the clutch, couldn't get the seal out, and trashed the old one trying.  So we had no seal.  Perhaps this explains why we went thru 6 quarts of oil in the gearbox on Saturday, adding at least 1 qt. on every stop.  With no seal we used seal rope for packing inboard motor prop shaft and rudder stuffing boxes plus RTV to fill the seal area then put a large washer behind the slave cylinder to cover it.  Work complete at 2:30 AM.  Up at 5 to drive back & make driver's meeting.

Most of the first session on Sunday it was OK, late in that round a slip slip started again.  By afternoon it slipped at anything over half throttle.  Unless the previous owner hot rodder this car, it is stock, still with the original Sachs shocks on it.

Our hose failure was one of the examples of something I didn't change because we spent as little as possible on this heap, as I truly enjoy the Lemons philosophy of keeping it under $500.  If you or anyone else thought we were cheating after overnight work, you should have stuck you head under our hood.  I'd happily show anyone any part of our car.  Heck I'd give rides and show how low our boost actually is!

Perhaps you didn't notice, but I made a lot of my time in the traffic and corners, we had fantastic brakes and good handling.  In spite of too little sleep and too many car problems we had a really good time and will be back next Spring...with a new clutch seal...10 quarts of oil went thru the box by the end of the weekend.

Still under $500 after buying so much oil.

Cheers,

Ken
Team Captain Car 900
Koenigspigg 900 Turbo

From the webcast it appeared as if the 'USS Enterprise' had more black flags than anyone as well...

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Sorry, Ken.  Rumors are a vicious thing!  Truth be told, I was too busy watching our car (until it blew up) and the other Tampa area teams (we have a bet with them), I didn't watch your car much, just heard some people comment on how much faster it was Sunday... and one of my team members (a Saab guy) insisted that you'd added a turbo where one wasn't before.  Can't believe everything you hear in the peanut gallery, I guess.  Thanks for putting the rumors to bed.

We'd have followed you back to help fix it, but... uh... we were hungry!  That Mexican joint in Lugoff is awesome!

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

While chattering about cars, costs, parts etc. In my OCD engineering manner, I've kept track of all non-safety costs on Miss Piggy along with the sales of parts we dumped via fleabay or crgslist.  I had a spreadsheet printed and receipts to document it at tech, should they have been asked for.  Prior to buying 3 gallons of Walmart synthetic oil for the feeding the gearbox we had spent:

Total Costs Car & parts    $425.09 of which the car was $300.

And sold stuff pulled off the car, including the radio to a chap in Poland and sunvisors to a person in Israel.

Parts Sale Proceeds    $362.12

So our net cost        $62.97

That doesn't include the safety stuff or brakes bought on clearance from Rock Auto (2 rotors, 1 caliper and F & R pads)

With a kid in college, I gotta do this as cheap as possible, especially when I have to fly her back from school to drive in the race.

BTW, we had 3 generations in our car, my daughter, her mom and her Grandfather all drove for our team.  For the girls it was their 2nd race (Spring was 1st in the then tin top Saturn); for Father-in-law, his first since late 60's.

Cheers,

Ken
Sweede Lil Pigs
Koenigspigg 900 Turbo

I for one REALLY enjoyed seeing the Sweede lil Pigs on track!!  All of your drivers were giving all your poor little car coupld muster through every turn! I was very thankful that you all realized that you were limping your car around teh track and kept your eyes on the mirrors and were very fast to let people by. I never had to "tango" with you to get around.

Thanks for the clean racing and hope to see you all out there again!!

You guys were pretty quick. I look forward to seeing the remnants of a Probe that you call a race car next year. Of course, we don't have much room to talk about weight reduction. Ours was the black SWAT Lincoln Mark VIII. Very fast, with very blown head gaskets. We just kept dumping three gallons of water in it every 10-15 laps until it finally quit.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

LMnsROOkie....See you at Miller in a few weeks?  Since we are all honest and at full disclosure, how much input did the mighty and legendary Bill Riley have in the construction on the #91?  Inquiring minds want to know!  smile

We are the people your parents warned you about.

LMnsROOkie, also don't take our bitching and moaning too seriously.  We are racers after all and when we are not racing we are bitching and moaning about our competitors.  I'm sure you guys know that.

I think your shock work on the Probe was sheer genius.  Your mistake was in the execution.  Too professional!  Slap a bolt in that hole that you drilled instead of a schrader valve and call it a day.  Would prevent gas-charging them, but... this is Lemons, after all.

I'm really surprised that more Lemons racers don't change shock oil as an alternative to replacing shocks, or running on ineffective shocks.  I've never done it, but I know people who have.  It's certainly simple enough, and the theory behind using heavier oil is sound.

Spinnetti wrote:
bam2002 wrote:

Yea there is a new base line. Do you have a Rotary engine that can walk away from any car down the striaght?  Or a Stroker 4 cyl that can take on a Turboed 6 Z car and win? I dont recall seeing any pentaly laps.
No problem, oh BTW both these cars finished 1 and 2....

So now we have something to Base the next event on.. Its going to be faster and fun.

Yeah, both those cars are SMOKING fast, and then get out of crush free. That said, both drove well, and were well prepped, so its kind of a mixed bag. I don't understand how they get through BS with the strength of both those motors though.

When you take a look at the fastest lap times of the race, you'll see that plenty of cars got around the track quicker than Lightning McQueen and White Lightning; watch the Police Brutality Lincoln's in-car video and you'll see the Lincoln blow past both of them. In fact, I think I'll go back and do a Jalopnik post about the quickest car at each Lemons race I've covered (as far as I remember, only once has the quickest car- the Krider Racing Integra at Altamont '08- actually won the race). So, two tips if you want to take the overall win:

1. Don't get penalties. The top two cars had one minor penalty apiece, late on Sunday when we take it easy on first-time offenders. The #3 car had zero penalties.  Meanwhile, we had 50+ cars with 4 or 5 black flags at that point.

2. Don't break the car.

But why go for the overall win? Go for the Index Of Effluency, which is way more fun and wins you a place in the hearts of the Lemons Supreme Court.