Topic: Door bar question....

We're using NASCAR style door bars on our E30.  We ran into one slight (and I mean really slight issue) when we made them.  They were about 1/8 to wide to fit with the door closed.  We could have remade them, but we decided instead to use them and make the door fit.  The fitting process started out with pounding the door into submission, but turned into cutting a 18x8 hole in the door, and making the car look mad-max like.  We thought it looked good.  Today, one of the team members pointed out the rule (3.13) regarding nerf-bars, cow-catchers and other 'protrusions' from the body-line.  Whoops. 

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs232.snc1/7925_1141156129901_1257382230_30447022_8226255_n.jpg

The bars stick out maybe 1/16 inch past the door line - did we just make a horrible, time consuming mistake, or are we un-herald geniuses?

If the former, would some sheet metal formed over the door bars attached to the door suffice to pass the rules?

John

Re: Door bar question....

Post a picture from outside with the door closed.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

trekkor wrote:

Post a picture from outside with the door closed.

KT

I will, once I get out of work.

John

4 (edited by EvergreenDan 2009-09-14 11:40 AM)

1/16"? Just rivet some sheet metal over it. I wouldn't worry about it.

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

I agree with EvergreenDan, it is Lemons, cut the hole and rivet some metal.

John, what steering wheel are you using? Does it have a quick release and if so, whos is it? Thanks.

'86 E30, '09 Stafford Aug, '10 CMP Feb, VIR Apr, Summit Jun,  CMP Sep
             '11 CMP Feb, Rock Mar, Charlotte Apr, Summit Jun
'68 MGB '11 NJMP Apr (winner IOE)

scrowner wrote:

I agree with EvergreenDan, it is Lemons, cut the hole and rivet some metal.

John, what steering wheel are you using? Does it have a quick release and if so, whos is it? Thanks.

It's a grant steering wheel that came with the krauted-out car.  No quick release, though we're trying to source one.

Ok, sheetmetal it is.  Thanks for the input guys.

John

sheet metal? Cardboard and super glue is much faster and easier to work with....

Shake and Bake
America, birthplace of the missionary position. You're welcome...

Rather than cut, I would've just hammered on it from the inside until it fit.

I have a hard time believing anyone's going to care. The intent of the rule is to prevent Mad-Max grade exo-cages on cars.

There are those who call me...Judge Tim
Previously: Der Uberbird! BMW 633CSi
"When life gives you Lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you crap, don't make a beverage out of it."

What is that seat???

As for the bars, if it's really 1/16th, I doubt anyone will make a fuss. For safety sake, I would weld some steel sheet over the holes you've cut and pound out the door if you need more room.

The Sharks
Home of the E28 Turbo Tuner Fish and the Hammered Head 944 Turbo

Just put a big fat NASCAResque number plate over it (i.e cardboard painted white, with black numbers duct taped to the door)  After all these are Lemons cars, then on top of that, you have a friggen BMW, no way our slug Maxima has a fighty chance where the boogy man lives to get a podium finish.  A BMW, how and where can you get a $500 Bimmer??

11 (edited by ribbie78 2009-09-14 06:06 PM)

ifb_mole wrote:

how and where can you get a $500 Bimmer??

....after 25 seconds of searching:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AWD-E30- … 486wt_1167

actually when I was searching for an older 3 series there seemed to be at least 2-3 available at any given time for under $500 that were good runners but just had cosmetic issues.

...and back on topic: I like your door bar original poster!

ribbie78 wrote:

....after 25 seconds of searching:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AWD-E30- … 486wt_1167

actually when I was searching for an older 3 series there seemed to be at least 2-3 available at any given time for under $500 that were good runners but just had cosmetic issues.

hell, i need parts for my ix, and it's only 50 miles away

SharkBait wrote:

What is that seat???

We're using a Kirkey oval track seat.  Since our drivers range in height from 5'6" to 6'1", we opted to use a Jegs slider system on the Kirkey mounting system.

It was that, or a milk crate with a bean-bag chair stuffed into it.

John

You're probably fine even without the sheet metal.  The spirit of the rule is to prevent people from adding cages to save the car when they do dumb stuff like crash into things, and then spend the race driving like a demo derby.  Unless you're going to leverage your giant door bars to get t-boned repeatedly, you're probably fine.

You exceed the letter of the rule, but since it isn't protecting anything but your driver, you're within the spirit of it.

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

So you door bars double as nerf bars... no worries. smile 

Likely fine - Its not like it extends far past the door skin anyways...

Team Magnum PI ness  #357  -

106th place at Nelson Ledges - The Lamest Days
-oil pressure failure leading to engine failure

ribbie78 wrote:

I find it mildly sad that the cage/seat/harness et al are worth 5x the car itself.

simpsonian wrote:
ribbie78 wrote:

I find it mildly sad that the cage/seat/harness et al are worth 5x the car itself.

Why is that sad? Also, a pile of tubing to build that cage isn't THAT expensive.

ecniv wrote:
simpsonian wrote:
ribbie78 wrote:

Why is that sad? Also, a pile of tubing to build that cage isn't THAT expensive.

DOM tube isn't cheap.  100 feet of it costs about the same as the car...and if you count labor and materials for building the cage, it does add up. 

John