Re: Bush find 89 Fox Mustang

No, I'm saying give it a shot.

Free cars rule!!

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Looks good Jim, start prepping!  Nice find!  My first car was a 1990 5.0 Notchback  --- loved it!

Team Magnum PI ness  #357  -

106th place at Nelson Ledges - The Lamest Days
-oil pressure failure leading to engine failure

28 (edited by jimeditorial 2009-09-16 06:57 AM)

Yeah, pics are a little dark. Gotta get the flash working....the car was covered in a small blue plastic tarp, which was in fairly good shape...being shaded probably helped. The other odd thing was that although the passenger window is missing,  with a piece of plastic draped over the opening, the small critters chose the engine compartment instead of the interior to nest...inside is strictly mold and cobwebs. The other interesting thing is the tires...they're Bridgestones and the sidewalls are cracked, yet three out of the four still held pressure for at least an hour when I blew them up. It looks fairly good on top and pure rust underneath....might be better the other way around.....There was an empty Prestone bottle in the back and temps can drop to -30 easily in the winter there, so it's amazing that nothing cracked. Maybe I should chase a Prestone endorsement!   BTW, what's a Liberty T5?

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

29 (edited by X-args 2009-09-16 07:55 AM)

A Liberty T5 is a pro-built modded WC T5 transmission, pay no attention to Mr Disney, he's just being a twat to wind you up...

Your Rustang looks entertaining, don't worry about actual 'handling' just yet, looks like the whole 'just get it running' issue will take a while to sort out.

If you do end up running it, upgrade the brakes like crazy. Maybe not Baer, but whatever cheap upgrades are out there.

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 143 races and counting.
2/25/24

I'm not being a twat! I'm simply preparing him for what the BS judges will say when he pulls to the line!

I for one would LOVE to have come across this car! I'd sawsall the crap out of it, plasma cut everything that didn't hold in the engine or wheels, and race the snot out of it! I'm just jealous of the find!!!

If it's not too far gone, I figure I'll just keep it stock, maybe better front discs and pads...it seems that power and handling are fun, but not the only way to win....I'm thinking of reliability and trying to keep tires under this beast. It sure looks heavy! Disney's criticism is OK by me...it's up to me to get a better camera or just leave the rust alone and let the judges decide! It did groan like Shrek as I pulled it out....not a good sign. WC uses T5 transmissions? Incredible...I'd have thought they had something custom.

Jim "Endo" Anderton

WC = World Class. The V-8 stangs got the world class T5's as opposed to the 4cyl cars. They are good to 300ftpd or 125 laps, whichever comes first.

Disney wrote:

I'm not being a twat! I'm simply preparing him for what the BS judges will say

so you're calling the judges twats?  not cool man.  see how they treat you now

eljefe17 wrote:

so you're calling the judges twats?  not cool man.  see how they treat you now

????  Is that how you read it? You suck at reading comprehension!

Disney wrote:

WC = World Class. The V-8 stangs got the world class T5's as opposed to the 4cyl cars. They are good to 300ftpd or 125 laps, whichever comes first.

Oh, I get it now. the rest of the car sure isn't "World Class"...and given the junk I've driven and raced over the years (mainly British), carrying a weak car for hours is nothing new....I'm thinking that the torque should allow fewer gear changes and less need to row around to keep the engine in the power band...in theory! Wish I had a plasma though...they looks like the right tool for Lemons builds. A little too expensive for the wife, however, and after Reno, I'm out of free passes.

Jim "Endo" Anderton

Agree'd on the torque. Those motors have plenty of it way down low. Couple that with the 2.73 gear in the rear end and they can probably get away with 2nd gear for most of the course!

37 (edited by X-args 2009-09-16 04:22 PM)

Disney wrote:

I'm not being a twat! I'm simply preparing him for what the BS judges will say when he pulls to the line!

I for one would LOVE to have come across this car! I'd sawsall the crap out of it, plasma cut everything that didn't hold in the engine or wheels, and race the snot out of it! I'm just jealous of the find!!!

Ok, sorry for the accusation. Those judges can be difficult, and for sure default to the 'Cheater' mode at any perceived technical shenanigans, since they've seen them all by now...

As far as the T5 goes, use a stock (soft) clutch and it'll probably live.
Short gears FTW, they make an underpowered car have a chance in all of the Lemons dragraces between corners. I see your point about nice long pulls through the gears, nice if you have the torque to pull it off.

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 143 races and counting.
2/25/24

Is it possible to be totally legal and still look like you're cheating? It would be the ultimate irony....

Jim "Endo" Anderton

Just make everything REALLY clean.

Maybe I'll take off the leaves, pine needles and dirt, but  leave the corrosion

Jim "Endo" Anderton

Actual fast cars with drivers that seem to know what their doing will get the most attention from the judges.  You'll need to have lots of pictures and have your receipts in order.

V-8 mustangs are also much more likely to get crushed whether you're cheating or not.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

jimeditorial wrote:

Is it possible to be totally legal and still look like you're cheating? It would be the ultimate irony....

Yes it is...

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

trekkor wrote:
jimeditorial wrote:

Yes it is...

KT

+2

Regarding the pics, try adjusting the brightness or contract in a photo editor.  Even with a flash some cameras have a hard time in low light.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

The Superkak (sp?) mustang that was crushed at Lemons South this spring was supposedly on the up and up.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

Wow....so the V-8 dooms you to destruction?

Jim "Endo" Anderton

jimeditorial wrote:

Wow....so the V-8 dooms you to destruction?

our v8 only doomed us to poor gas mileage.  a blown tranny.  and rear end.  so, i guess it dooms you to self-destruction if nothing else

superkak was a gen newer than what have, had the fastest lap by a good margin, had a police siren that they would use when they came up behind people and wanted to pass them, and also used the siren at 3 am when everyone was sleeping.

So the V8 didn't doom them by itself.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Glad to hear it.....seems to me that minding your own business and clicking off the laps can get you a top ten finish in this series, i.e consistent, quickish laps and just let the cowboys pass you...

Jim "Endo" Anderton

Gut it, remove the cats, upgrade the pads, and it can win if you drive clean and don't break anything.....

Shake and Bake
America, birthplace of the missionary position. You're welcome...

jw33 wrote:

Gut it, remove the cats, upgrade the pads, and it can win if you drive clean and don't break anything.....

I guess you guys would know!....did you use a cage kit or hand-bent?

Jim "Endo" Anderton