Re: Bush find 89 Fox Mustang

We used a Jegs 10-point  cage kit and about 40-50ft of pipe to make the driver side door bar and main hoop diangle (sp?) brace. If you have a bender/notcher I would just make the cage from scratch. The Jegs one fit like total shit and the notches were useless.

Shake and Bake
America, birthplace of the missionary position. You're welcome...

52 (edited by jimeditorial 2009-09-17 03:37 PM)

Thx jw33....this is the kind of stuff you can't get from salespeople...now it's about rust
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/HT … directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ix … directlink

still trying to figure out images

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

st_rage wrote:

The Superkak (sp?) mustang that was crushed at Lemons South this spring was supposedly on the up and up.

It was?  They had a youtube video stating they had $5K in the car and they got a pretty hefty lap penalty at BS.

Mod Squad Racing
http://twosrus.com

My main concern is that the shell looks a lot better than the chassis.....guess I'd better leave lots of rust underneath....I've assumed that if I'm legal, I have nothing to worry about.....then I re-read the rules!

Jim "Endo" Anderton

If the v8 won't work, we are racing a SN95 Mustang with the v6 / 5 speed and it actually works reasonably well after lowering it.  less weight, good torque and better fuel mileage, cheap parts, good reliabillity.  You could find a v6 CHEAP in a parts yard I'd guess, and all the stuff you needed for conversion.

----------
Scott
Speed Racer Mach5 Mustang
Houston TX

jw33 wrote:

We used a Jegs 10-point  cage kit and about 40-50ft of pipe to make the driver side door bar and main hoop diangle (sp?) brace. If you have a bender/notcher I would just make the cage from scratch. The Jegs one fit like total shit and the notches were useless.

Yea, me Jegs too.  The worst part for us was the A pillar bars, that bend for a sn95 was not right and I played with it for hours before coming to final angle to use.  And its still too close to the steering wheel, but the rear hoop was perfect.

----------
Scott
Houston TX

Thx Stovebolt....I'm surprised that the kit is so poor...you'd think with the number of these cars in the sport they'd have it down cold by now. BTW, does Stovebolt refer to the Chevy Six?

Jim "Endo" Anderton

Well, my first Lemon's car, the "owner/instigator" type put our names on the car when we weren't looking with catchy nicknames, and because I mostly had owned and worked on GM stuff in my past, I guess he thought of Stovebolt and when trying to think of a screen name it came to me.  By sheer coincidence my first car was a '65 Chevy II with ...you guessed it... a GM 6 cyl.  I had pulled it for fun and with Dad we rebuilt it and stuck in back in, put trashed the powerglide and put on a Tempest sourced (from side yard LOL) M21 4 speed and got linkage at the junkyard, etc.  Ahh....memories!

----------
Scott
Houston TX

Well, it was the original Corvette engine...but Stovebolt is a better handle than Blue Flame!

Jim "Endo" Anderton

Hey Fox/Lincoln/Vic pilots, anybody know if non-Mustang 302 apps use a front engine dress that mounts the P/S pump high? I'm trying to find a Pick-A-Part solution that will let me remove the air pump and A/C compressor from an 89 Mustang 5.0...Spud kindly sent me belt routing, but there seems to be no way to do it without a Ford Motorsport bracket and I want to leave spending room for spark plugs....thx

Jim "Endo" Anderton

We ditched the power steering all together and just run the alt. and water pump.

Shake and Bake
America, birthplace of the missionary position. You're welcome...

jw33 wrote:

We ditched the power steering all together and just run the alt. and water pump.

No P/S? Was it hard to steer? You guys are going 5.0, right? I see that there's a Trick Flow bracket that relocates the tensioner to let you run the P/S, alt and water pump, but I'm being a cheap bastard and stupidly want to build it legal....

Jim "Endo" Anderton

I just drove Property Devaluation Racing's fox-body in Ohio, and Brian yanked the PS on that car. I wouldn't want to parallel park it but it was no problem to steer.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

thx...this is the kind of info you won't find in Road & Track....

Jim "Endo" Anderton