Topic: Brake pads

OK I searched but didn't get much info.  What brake mods DO you do?  I mean if you turn the rotors anbd they have good thickness and you make some cooling ducts would "race" type pads be enough on say a 3,000. lb car with 2 wheels dics brakes?  I read about HAWK DTC-60's and Porterfields, but do you really need new rotors and/or calipers?  It seems a bit of overkill.

What do you do?  just pads and cooling? pads and rotors and cooling or the whole thing - pads, rotors, calipers and cooling??

Re: Brake pads

we had a 3k plus car with stock brakes, no ducts and hawk hps pads and they were fine.  put a new set on for day 2 and had no problems.  they didn't have great bite, but they lasted and didn't destroy our rotors.  We probably would have at least gone with HP+, but only the HPS fit our car.  DTC60s are rotor killers.  If you want a track pad try Carbotech xp10.  They play with rotors pretty well.

"overkill" and "brakes" should not be together in any sentence that does not also include the phrase "there is no such thing as".

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Buzz Killington wrote:

"overkill" and "brakes" should not be together in any sentence that does not also include the phrase "there is no such thing as".

hear, hear!

arse-sweat-apalosa thunderhill 2011 : team killer zomBee!

We use stock Mopar front rotors with viper calipers using plates we made ourselves (this is obviously not an over-the-counter swap).  We were using the stock single piston calipers with Porterfield brake pads but we cracked the pads during the Toledo 24 Hour Race so we switched to the Viper calipers.  The rear brakes are Mustang Cobra single piston stuff again using our homemade brakes to mount them on the Chrysler 8 3/4 rear end.  The stock C-Body brakes (front disc/rear drum) worked just as well as our current set-up but our rear drums were manually adjusted so by the end of the race we had to double pump the brakes every time we used them.  We kept the costs down for this conversion by making our own adaptors to make everything work.  We also had to run 17 inch cragar steel rims that we had to grind down the inside to clear everything.

Team Oly Express
Current car - 1964.5 Plymouth Barracuda, Former car - Size Does Matter 1967 Plymouth Fury
07 IOE Winner Thunderhill, 12 IOE Winner Sears Pointless
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Team- … 4609354407

This is gonna be our first race with this car so I have no idea how well its going to work but for what its worth we are running SSBC twin piston calipers with the semi mettallic pads that come with most of thier intermediate kits.  beyond that we pulled out the fog lights and put some brake ducts in place of them, DOT 4 fluid, and all new parts for the rear drums.  Its an 89' Camaro with a smogger V8 at the nose.  I'm expecting the brakes to have issues at Nelson Ledges so I'm packing spare pads and such just in case.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

We used Porterfield R4 pads, front and rear, on stock 10" rotors at New Orleans. Stainless steel lines and Ford heavy duty brake fluid. No cooling ducts. 750 racing miles later the front pads were at 10%, the front rotors cracked to hell, but it still stopped good. The pedal travel had gotten a bit longer though. The rear pads are 75%.

We brought spare calipers, pads, rotors and hoses(stock rubber) just in case.

For the next race we are using the same setup plus cooling ducts. Or maybe some kind of freon cooled brakes..... Still working the bugs out on that one. smile

Tiptoe - In past 24 hour races at Nelson Camaros have had to do a mimimum of a front pad change during the race. 

For Lemons, the cars are slower due to being crap to begin with. We're slower due to running hard rubber. We'll be slower due to congestion on the track.  All those factors work in your favor due to the fact we won't be going as fast.

Still I'd plan on having a complete set of spares; pads & rotors and maybe even calipers. We used to melt the rubber seals clean out of the calipers in our Firehawk car. On some tracks, not Nelson's ,the rubber used to start on fire when we stopped for fuel!!   Ah the good old days.

Spud

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

9 (edited by Jeff G 78 2009-09-16 07:12 PM)

sergio wrote:

We used Porterfield R4 pads, front and rear, on stock 10" rotors at New Orleans. Stainless steel lines and Ford heavy duty brake fluid. No cooling ducts. 750 racing miles later the front pads were at 10%, the front rotors cracked to hell, but it still stopped good. The pedal travel had gotten a bit longer though. The rear pads are 75%.

We brought spare calipers, pads, rotors and hoses(stock rubber) just in case.

For the next race we are using the same setup plus cooling ducts. Or maybe some kind of freon cooled brakes..... Still working the bugs out on that one. smile

FYI, the Ford HD fluid used to be the shit, but they (very quietly) changed the formula to low viscosity for new ABS systems in cold weather.  The wet and dry boiling points are no longer what they used to be and I would not use it for track duty.  Get yourself some good ATE or Motul.

This is our first Lemons, so teh results are TBD, but we will be running stock solid rotors in the front and drums in the rear of our ~2400lb 260Z.  Both ends will have Porterfield R4-S pads and ATE fluid.  We also plan on running ducts to the fronts and SS hoses F&R.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Thanks for the tips guys!  I know the brakes on Camaros are junk I have (oval) raced them before and the stock stuff starts to beg for mercy very quickly!  We are also running ATE fluid in the car and SS hoses.  I drilled out a few holes in the rear backing plates to help the drums vent a bit better.  Even still I have been harping on the guys to treat the brakes as if it was fine wine....that is use them sparlingly, enjoy it while it lasts, and DON'T cook with it.  I'm planning on a pad change as well during the race, I doubt we will be able to dodge that one.  Unless the 700-R4 helps us out by blowing up!

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

We run Porterfield R4s all the way around on the 240Z.

I upgraded to rear disc brakes and vented front rotors as well.

We use Valvoline Synthetic brake fluid which ha s aHigh dry-boiling point of 480 degrees.

Just says it surpasses specification for ..... minimum wet boiling point is 311 degrees.

We have three races on the front pads and two on the rear and everything is still happy.

While full on race pads are more expensive, they seem to last much longer.  If that is correct, they are less expensive, safer and more reliable in the long run.

Then there's the rubber stuff.  Ask Tunachukers how their lines worked out for them.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Jeff G 78 wrote:

FYI, the Ford HD fluid used to be the shit, but they (very quietly) changed the formula to low viscosity for new ABS systems in cold weather.  The wet and dry boiling points are no longer what they used to be and I would not use it for track duty.  Get yourself some good ATE or Motul..

Not to start a pissing match over some brake fluid, but the Ford bottle says dry boiling temp 500F. That's almost as much as ATE. It more than the Valvoline Synthetic that got reformulated.

ATE is fairly proven, and isn't all that expensive, plus for last minute bleeding switching between the gold and superblue makes it easier and saves you a lot of guessing and extra fluid.  The ford stuff is good, but I've never used it for anything but hydraulic clutches since ATE makes the whole process easier and works well.

sergio wrote:
Jeff G 78 wrote:

FYI, the Ford HD fluid used to be the shit, but they (very quietly) changed the formula to low viscosity for new ABS systems in cold weather.  The wet and dry boiling points are no longer what they used to be and I would not use it for track duty.  Get yourself some good ATE or Motul..

Not to start a pissing match over some brake fluid, but the Ford bottle says dry boiling temp 500F. That's almost as much as ATE. It more than the Valvoline Synthetic that got reformulated.

Dry, yes, but wet is more important.  Every local club racer I know USED to run the Ford stuff but none of them do any longer.  There is a reason for that.  They have tried the new stuff and it boils far easier than the old stuff so they switched.  I wish that wasn't the case because it was the best fluid for the money before they changed it.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

as a follow-up to this for the Maxima brakes all we did was turn the original OEM rotors and installed the HAWK DTC-60 pads.  We bought ducting but didn't install it, nor changed the brake fluid from DOT 3 to DOT 4.  I must admit I was worried because the first time we came of the track they smelled - just bedding them in I guess.  Afterwards they were great.  No fade no over heating, no brake fluid boiling or busted lines.  I think the pads are the single most important factor

We ran the pads that came with the Cherokee (on the front, rears were drums) and they worked great.  We had a spare set of pads, but never needed them.  We did have to bleed the brakes after the first day because we lost pedal feel, but otherwise they were fine.  I think we'll do braided lines next time out to avoid any heat issues.

-Matt

30 Time Loser with Class C, Index of Effluency, I got Screwed and Heroic Fix Trophies who usually races, according to Car and Driver, The Greatest Road Racing Cherokee in History.

Check out our FB Page and follow our various exploits.

17 (edited by icemang17 2009-11-25 11:08 PM)

I'm not exactly sure which brake pads are on the 928 estate...either porterfield R4's or hawk 60's or 70's.....on stock 1984 single piston 928 brakes....with stock rotors but DAMM they work....typically track driven 928's with street-ish pads get brake fluid so hot it "spits" out the top of the fluid reservoir..but I saw almost zero spitting with these pads.....

The wear on the pads over the weekend was also quite low...but the rotors are a bit worn...with some heat stress

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

18 (edited by X-args 2009-11-26 09:12 AM)

We ran EBC Yellowstuff pads with the original Cavalier 9.7 inch rotors, and had no problems until the Buttonwillow race, when everything melted.

Since we had to change the bolt pattern anyway (to keep the rear wheels from falling off due to 80's GM cost cutting) we gave it junkyard FWD Cadillac rear rotors and Malibu 10.8 inch rotor front knuckles.

With cheesy ceramic auto-parts store pads, the brakes were brilliant, and hardly wore at all. Of course part of that was the fact that we couldn't go hard in the right handers due to a halfshaft issue...

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 144 races and counting.
2/25/24

We ran Carbotec XP-10 front and XP-8 on back of our Miata with all else stock and could not be happier with the setup!  After weekend backs look new still and fronts are about half gone.

-Mike
Junk Works Racing Team Captain
Lemons South Spring '09 SR-71 BlackBird Finisher
Southern Discomfort '10 E-30ata 4th place

rocketresto wrote:

We use stock Mopar front rotors with viper calipers using plates we made ourselves (this is obviously not an over-the-counter swap).  We were using the stock single piston calipers with Porterfield brake pads but we cracked the pads during the Toledo 24 Hour Race so we switched to the Viper calipers.  The rear brakes are Mustang Cobra single piston stuff again using our homemade brakes to mount them on the Chrysler 8 3/4 rear end.  The stock C-Body brakes (front disc/rear drum) worked just as well as our current set-up but our rear drums were manually adjusted so by the end of the race we had to double pump the brakes every time we used them.  We kept the costs down for this conversion by making our own adaptors to make everything work.  We also had to run 17 inch cragar steel rims that we had to grind down the inside to clear everything.

Damn, with all those brakes you should've been able to slow the car down before careening into the back of the V8olvo...........     Wink, wink...       

Really, these guys have the right idea on brakes, find something affordable and make it work...   We are lucky that Volvo 244s have massive 4 piston front calipers stock.        Pad compound is key.

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

We run stock Miata rotors and street pads with zero issues... yes, street pads.

The key is keeping the brakes cool. Our brakes get a TON of cooling airflow since we don't have a front bumper or fenders. Bad for aero; great for brake cooling.

With this setup we experience no fade and great pad life. In fact we've run the same set of pads for two races, and they still have enough meat on them for a third race.

Summary: run big nasty cooling ducts from the front of the car to the rotors.

We used Hawk black's on the front of the Peugeot and Porterfield R4-S pads on the rear. Calipers and rotors are totally stock though we did disable the ABS because it kept cutting in and out (more electrical problems, big surprise). The results were great though, I am convinced that the Peugeot is one of the best braking cars out there, looks like the French can at least do that right :-).

Porterfield pads after a day and a half:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_8DMXP0Zd6Ow/SwrDdlWrLrI/AAAAAAAAC3Y/Rw5GrBwHf2w/s640/P1030100.JPG

Interesting. We got three race days from our pads though it could be that we simply aren't going fast enough to wear them quickly :-).

Solracer wrote:

I am convinced that the Peugeot is one of the best braking cars out there, looks like the French can at least do that right :-).

Remember, the 504 got standard 4-wheel discs a year before the Corvette did!