Topic: How are exhaust noise levels measured?

Can you guys tell us how exhaust noise levels are measured?? We put a single cherry bomb on our car, and it's pretty damn loud still.  I have a radio shack SPL meter, which definitely is nothing compared to the way the SCCA measures sound, but we're knocking at the door of 92dB according to it.  Any suggestions?

2 (edited by bongle 2009-09-17 07:28 AM)

Re: How are exhaust noise levels measured?

Apparently a muffler turn-down or turn-up helps a lot by redirecting the sound into the concrete or into the sky.  The sound may not actually be any quieter, but if nobody hears it, that doesn't matter.

There were black flags for noise at Toledo, but it was mainly because it is really obvious when your muffler falls off.

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

We ran a single glass-pak and turn down and were fine.  The turn down makes a huge difference as the ground muffles some of the sound.

FWIW, I never saw them check ANY car at CMP for an inproper dB level.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Sound checking is usually done on some remote corner of the track, you likely wouldn't have noticed it if there was someone out there doing it.

I remember being black flagged for being too loud at Detroit(ish).  Don't know if they actually had a meter or not, but they told us to button it up.

Personally, I think you're better off to just use your own ear.  You've already said it's "loud".  Make it "not loud".  The 3 hp at 7,000 rpm you're going to lose by putting a proper muffler on the car ain't gonna kill you.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

We ran a cherry bomb on our car at Altamont.
The sucker came off during the race and we immediately new it was our car.
Of course the driver didn't know and kept driving until they black flagged him 4 laps later. Some how he didn't hear us screaming at him over the radio.:D
They do work, and like everyone suggests pointing the tip down towards the ground does muffle the sound.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

Thanks guys!

It's not really a HP issue, it's a "we had a cherry bomb laying around and don't want to buy a muffler" thing, haha.  We'll turn down the exhaust and see how that helps.

Fuckin' spammers have found us.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

So you mean he doesn't really want to be friends, and I don't look nice??? sad

ha

I think he likes your car............

Maybe it's Pedobear getting on the forum!

Loren wrote:

Personally, I think you're better off to just use your own ear.  You've already said it's "loud".  Make it "not loud".

This is really the best summary--noise measurement varies from track to track, sometimes turndowns work, sometime they don't, etc....

If you want a cheap muffler, check the dumpster behind the muffler shop. Lotsa guys taking good-quality OEM stuff off for Flows and whistle tips.

Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

Lotsa guys taking good-quality OEM stuff off for Flows and whistle tips.

Bubb Rubb goes "whoo whoo!"

http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/
http://www.teamdfl.com
"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."
Prepping the Red wReck for the 24 Hours of Lemons

We never got whistle tips in the midwest... do they still exist?  The midwest does remember bubb rubb though...

-Chip

Free Candy Racing
www.freecandyracing.com

LOL. We had to educate one of our teammates on Bubb Rub at the Lamest Day. He hadn't heard of that video before. Thank god verizon had good cell coverage in Amish country, we fired the video right up.

Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

If you want a cheap muffler, check the dumpster behind the muffler shop. Lotsa guys taking good-quality OEM stuff off for Flows and whistle tips.

That is a sweet tip...   don't know what I didn't think of that.. I am a scrounger from WAY back...

Owner: Stanford Motorsports (sounds better than it is!)
Lamest Day entry:  Team EAU RUDE  silver/red NON-CHEATING Sentra SE-R #40  (Crew Chief, Large Fat Bald Guy with white Mutton Chop sideburns)
Other nonsense:  Solo Director, Cincy SCCA, Board of Directors, Cincy SCCA

Thrush turbo mufflers are about $25 at Jegs and they quieted our Quad4 right down.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

17 (edited by psychoboy 2009-10-15 08:36 AM)

NDGeist wrote:

We never got whistle tips in the midwest... do they still exist?  The midwest does remember bubb rubb though...

thay's just for deco-ray-shun.
http://i.pbase.com/o6/96/492696/1/103732321.BAwwlZeJ.bubbrubb.gif
THE WHISTLES GO WOO-WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

almost unrelated factoid:

DTM tips (those turned up rain catchers found on import 'racecars') were designed specifically for the purpose of getting around noise restrictions. the testing procedure puts the mic on the ground at tailpipe height, so it catches direct pipe noise AND reflected from the ground noise. DTM tips point the noise upwards and into the sky, missing the mic.

http://www.bosalperformance.com/images/Bro_prod/247-5015.jpg

in my world, most of us have our ears located skyward when compared to tailpipes, so i'm not sure DTM tips will help the somewhat subjective 'that thing is too loud' call.

of course, leave it to japan to solve that problem as well.
http://www.2dayblog.com/images/2007/may/japanese_car.jpg

totally unrelated:
while i was looking for the above pic, i found the following theme:
http://www.blavish.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/hello-kitty-exhaust-pipe.bmp

ready........go!

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

UGG... those crazy ass creations with their cardboard body kits and individual pipes for each cylinder... oh i loath them.

Ok that's getting added to the fiero...

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

19 (edited by KTL 2009-10-15 03:34 PM)

We got an ultra thin CHerry Bomb 1-in 1-out erctangular muffler from Summit Racing for $22.95 to put on the 325.  Got a scrap of pipe from Midas bent to make a side-exit exhaust ahead of the wheel (and well ahead of the fuel tank) and our exhaust was built for around $40 including the clamps, not including the new O2 sensor that didn't make our car run any better......  sad

The cherry bomb is louder inside the car than outside it.  we could hardly hear the car trackside at NL but it was fairly loud inside.  I think the muffler is touching the floorpan, so that's likely where the nasty resonance is coming from.

Kevin

psychoboy wrote:

DTM tips (those turned up rain catchers found on import 'racecars') were designed specifically for the purpose of getting around noise restrictions. the testing procedure puts the mic on the ground at tailpipe height, so it catches direct pipe noise AND reflected from the ground noise. DTM tips point the noise upwards and into the sky, missing the mic.

And, to bring things full circle, the intended effect of DTM tips can be skillfully avoided by LeMons-spec muffler hangers!

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs257.snc1/10426_154155454494_36766739494_2815267_1889740_n.jpg

21 (edited by psychoboy 2009-10-16 06:07 AM)

Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs257.snc1/10426_154155454494_36766739494_2815267_1889740_n.jpg

proof that even the best of ideas can be made better.

Team OK-Speed

In our defense, the Ded Bull Golf came that way. We tightened up the clamps to keep everything from dragging and just ran it.

Granted this doesn't apply to the Fiero but say some one were to upturn their exhaust and weld a muffler directly to the header/manifold. Legal?!

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

24 (edited by psychoboy 2009-10-16 08:12 AM)

i believe i noticed something in the rules about the exhaust exiting behind the driver/compartment.

edit:
3.26.1: Exhaust system may not dump ahead of the driver, and must not allow undue levels of exhaust to reach the driver's compartment.

so, if your car is rear engine, i guess you can try.

Team OK-Speed

psychoboy wrote:

i believe i noticed something in the rules about the exhaust exiting behind the driver/compartment.

edit:
3.26.1: Exhaust system may not dump ahead of the driver, and must not allow undue levels of exhaust to reach the driver's compartment.

so, if your car is rear engine, i guess you can try.

We already have the Fiero's exhaust worked out. I was just wondering for cars like an old crown vic or caprice... if they could do destruction derby style dumps through the hood... if they are tall enough the fumes and noise wouldn't reach the compartment.

Sons of STIG