Topic: How dumb is it to enter a truck?

In scouring craigslist for a proper first time Lemons car, I keep thinking that a truck while not a fast "winners" entry, does seems to have some merit. And looking through pictures of previous events, I can see some people have tried it. In my mind there are a couple of advantages. Rear wheel drive doesn't hurt. Most trucks are built a little tougher then the average commuter car (maybe). And that bed has SO much room for theme decorations and such. Plus, a little extra "decoration" type things in the back would surely balance out the weight a bit.

On the down side, it's a truck and will handle like one. Also, no chance of a prefab cage, gonna have to be custom.

As a prospective Lemons racer, I'd appreciate feedback from those who are more wise, knowledgeable, better looking, wealthier, with better completion, and more in tune with their inner Lemon. Or if you just have an opinion you would like to caps lock at me, either way.

Emily's Power for a Cure 1990 Mazda Miata (I Got Screwed 2014 Southern Discomfort)
Help in the fight against Neuroblastoma, a devastating childhood cancer.
http://emilyspowerforacure.com/

Re: How dumb is it to enter a truck?

The Crapsman Ranger truck has done pretty good. There was a Toyota Tacoma(?) at the last Houston race, think it finished 22.

I've never raced a truck except in the snow, but here is a thought:

With a really light rear end and RWD, a truck can be a handful on the track.  I don't know your background, but if you are a racing noob, you may want to consider a vehicle that is a little easier to drive.

There are inexpensive prefab cage kits for some trucks.  S10 drag cages and Toy off-road cages come to mind. 

No chance of winning, but a nissan or Toy truck is hard to break.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

My racing experience involves Starbucks runs, endless hours on Forza, and daydreaming of Lemons glory.

Considering my team will likely be even less experienced, sounds like a protege/crownvic/fox body is in my future. Still, gotta love the possibilities that bed offers...

Emily's Power for a Cure 1990 Mazda Miata (I Got Screwed 2014 Southern Discomfort)
Help in the fight against Neuroblastoma, a devastating childhood cancer.
http://emilyspowerforacure.com/

bacon117 wrote:

With a really light rear end

know what would put some weight over the rear wheels?  an engine.  wink

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Buzz Killington wrote:
bacon117 wrote:

I like the way you think smile

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

cut the roof off of a sedan ....there's your bed.

Buzz Killington wrote:
bacon117 wrote:

DIY trophy truck for under $500? I'd love to see it.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:
Buzz Killington wrote:
bacon117 wrote:

In-line engine offset to the right, shortened driveshaft with double Cardan CV joint a la big Cadillac.....mid engine monster!  Or maybe any 90's V6 front drive power package welded between the frame rails at the back.....love to try it!

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

11 (edited by Buzz Killington 2009-09-18 08:26 AM)

Mulry wrote:
Buzz Killington wrote:
bacon117 wrote:

i bet you'd get some slack in the budget for something like that.

12+-time loser

I dunno but Im assuming it wont be much better then my Caravan, Ill be running at TH apparently(still waiting on confirmation).  Ill let ya know how it goes!

The570z wrote:

I dunno but Im assuming it wont be much better then my Caravan, Ill be running at TH apparently(still waiting on confirmation).  Ill let ya know how it goes!

What year is your Caravan? I always thought there was plenty of potential in the 91-95s - boxy and still plenty easy to get to components under the hood. I was considering running my 2000 Voyager, which handles better, but also has the disadvantage of the transmission pan hanging uncomfortably low and being more difficult to work on.

A mid-engine truck would be awesome!

The Sharks
Home of the E28 Turbo Tuner Fish and the Hammered Head 944 Turbo

I think there is a full size van entered in Nelson Ledges Lamest Day this oct... if this answers your question...

Team Magnum PI ness  #357  -

106th place at Nelson Ledges - The Lamest Days
-oil pressure failure leading to engine failure

cbustapeck wrote:
The570z wrote:

What year is your Caravan? I always thought there was plenty of potential in the 91-95s - boxy and still plenty easy to get to components under the hood. I was considering running my 2000 Voyager, which handles better, but also has the disadvantage of the transmission pan hanging uncomfortably low and being more difficult to work on.

Anybody running an older Caravan, remember the transmission issue with the diff cross shaft...there's a cheap fix but you must do it or you're toast!

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Racing trucks are cool, but reliability has been pretty poor on most of the entries we've seen so far. We do need to get more minivan racers.

I think a truck with the right guts in it would do just fine.  Get one with a towing package, you would have oil coolers for the engine/trans already and maybe even a lower cog in the diff.  Snag some wider rims from a car to get some bigger rubber under it and then lower it, which should be pretty easy with how most mini trucks are set up.  Great Lemons racer??  No...but I think it could be a good racer, and besides luck plays more then a little bit into how you do at these races.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

cbustapeck wrote:

96 3.0 slushbox... Find the bright side in that!  I did wink

The570z wrote:
cbustapeck wrote:

96 3.0 slushbox... Find the bright side in that!  I did wink

I can't wait to see what you do with it.

My 2000 Voyager had the same engine, so I know something of what you have to look forward to. At least you don't have the 3.3 or 3.8L engine, which leaves absolutely no free space in the engine compartment. There's significant potential for weight loss, too, which ought to help. Further, it shouldn't be too difficult to stuff a cage into the Caravan and still have plenty of room to move.

And any vehicle that can handle 4WD, high clearance roads ought to be great for Lemons.

MagnumPI wrote:

I think there is a full size van entered in Nelson Ledges Lamest Day this oct... if this answers your question...

if our FULL SIZE van survives lamest day, expect it to be mid-engine next time around.

King Arthur wrote:
MagnumPI wrote:

if our FULL SIZE van survives lamest day, expect it to be mid-engine next time around.

Got photos?

King Arthur wrote:
MagnumPI wrote:

A full size van?!??!  Oye, thats one way to keep people from running into you.  Whats under the hood?

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

MurileeMartin wrote:

Racing trucks are cool, but reliability has been pretty poor on most of the entries we've seen so far. We do need to get more minivan racers.

I think a Previa with a motor swap would be the hot ticket for minivans.. I even found all the requisite car and parts... only issue is I've got too many project already!

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

a previa and outrigger wheels, you mean.

12+-time loser