Re: Neck Safety Device Comparison

Anyone know what the bright yellow straps are for?  I see them on several different units.  Are they just there to keep the helmet and the device attached to one another when you aren't wearing it?

kornfeld wrote:

Anyone know what the bright yellow straps are for?  I see them on several different units.  Are they just there to keep the helmet and the device attached to one another when you aren't wearing it?

Looks like a quick release to me.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

RogueLeader wrote:

Had a HANS failed like that in real life and not on a test by another company we would have heard about it.

Yeah. Thats the point. I have heard about it. Circle track is big here in Ohio and I know lots of guys who run it. Many I know dislike the HANs for this very reasons.

Now is they belt tightness part of the issue there? Is it not set up well? Is there a flaw with the user and not the system? I can not be sure but I have in fact heard of this.

Daniel Sycks

kornfeld wrote:

yellow strap is quick release  Hans you got to turn and push I could see that an issue when your upside down freaking out

I and several buddies got the Dfnder and its great you can adjust it from 15-20 degree

Hans Sued them ,hopefully hans copies the Dfnder adj design

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

Jackasic wrote:

the one I really like, never made it to market: http://www.leatt-brace.com/

seems that Hans sued everybody else out of the way.  I am not a Hans fan because all it does is protect front impact.

A few of our drivers tested/used the Leatt and they much preferred it over the HANS.  No objective data but none of them broke anything in the head/neck/shoulder area when they did take a digger.  I stopped seeing them when USAC rescinded the requirement, I never knew they didn't make it to market.  The thing always creeped me out a little, it reminded me of those neck thingies that Kevin Kline and Will Smith wore in the "Wild Wild West" remake.

http://blaine901.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/wild_wild_west_4.jpg?w=640

A few people that ran the HANS had those "duel" type belts with a 3" should belt to hold the driver in and then a 2" belt over the top of that to hold the HANS.  Some people were okay with it and some weren't but pretty much everyone was not that comfortable when strapped in as tight as they neede to be.

I haven't watched the video but I know that belts are made to stretch and the body stretches an amazing amount.  A guy had a slow mo camera on a sprint car flip.  It was amazing to see the guy's helmet bounce off the left rear wheel, something I never would have thought physcially possible.  Which reminds me, if you crash and it's a big hit, don't re-use the belts.  They have a certain amount of stretch built into them and once they have been stretched, they won't stretch again and the next hit will be just like you are bolted straight to the car.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:
Jackasic wrote:

the one I really like, never made it to market: http://www.leatt-brace.com/

seems that Hans sued everybody else out of the way.  I am not a Hans fan because all it does is protect front impact.

A few of our drivers tested/used the Leatt and they much preferred it over the HANS.  No objective data but none of them broke anything in the head/neck/shoulder area when they did take a digger.  I stopped seeing them when USAC rescinded the requirement, I never knew they didn't make it to market.  The thing always creeped me out a little, it reminded me of those neck thingies that Kevin Kline and Will Smith wore in the "Wild Wild West" remake.

http://blaine901.files.wordpress.com/20 … .jpg?w=640

A few people that ran the HANS had those "duel" type belts with a 3" should belt to hold the driver in and then a 2" belt over the top of that to hold the HANS.  Some people were okay with it and some weren't but pretty much everyone was not that comfortable when strapped in as tight as they neede to be.

I haven't watched the video but I know that belts are made to stretch and the body stretches an amazing amount.  A guy had a slow mo camera on a sprint car flip.  It was amazing to see the guy's helmet bounce off the left rear wheel, something I never would have thought physcially possible.  Which reminds me, if you crash and it's a big hit, don't re-use the belts.  They have a certain amount of stretch built into them and once they have been stretched, they won't stretch again and the next hit will be just like you are bolted straight to the car.

I always liked the Leatt too, got to try one on at a local speed shop.

Its really sad that they stopped/didn't start the manufacture of them, though.

Team monstaRX-7: #91 1991 Mazda RX-7 convertible with a 5.0, WHAT COULD GO WRONG?
Races: 2010 Gator-O-Rama(DNF, blown motor, "Trailer on Saturday"), Oct 2011 Yee-Haw Its Lemons(actually finished the race! Judge's Choice)

dsycks wrote:
RogueLeader wrote:

Had a HANS failed like that in real life and not on a test by another company we would have heard about it.

Yeah. Thats the point. I have heard about it. Circle track is big here in Ohio and I know lots of guys who run it. Many I know dislike the HANs for this very reasons.

Now is they belt tightness part of the issue there? Is it not set up well? Is there a flaw with the user and not the system? I can not be sure but I have in fact heard of this.

Well that makes sense then.  But it is true, if the belts are not tight enough (and I mean by someone other than the driver tightening them) I could totally see this scenario happening.  It does have channels for the belts but it requires them to be cinched hard.  I would question anyone who has had this type of failure to whether this is the case with them.  The fact that NASCAR has never recorded a failure of this kind says there has to be something happening differently somewhere.

fabtoys wrote:
kornfeld wrote:

yellow strap is quick release  Hans you got to turn and push I could see that an issue when your upside down freaking out

There is no reason to have to disconnect your HANS in the event of a wreck.  And I definitely would not be able to do it freaking out upside down.  But it doesn't matter, it stays attached to you, not the car.

The point is that there are in fact reports of failure as well as increased risk of other injuries with the HANS that are NOT being attributed to other such devices. As such I find the jury to be out and that device to be worthy of questioning.

In addition. There are other issues at play in NASCAR aside from just tight belts. They have full containment seats that are fitted to the individual driver as well as other safety measures that most of us do not. These changes, namely the fitted seat, do a great deal to reducing possible issues with lateral movement and failure of the device in the way shown in the video.

I will say without ambiguity that the forces imparted on a human body in a crash make it fully believable to me that this can happen no matter how hard the belts are cinched down. The belt only need slide 2" to the side for this to happen and if you think that you can get a belt tight enough to make sure that does not happen in your typical Lemons car then I guess our opinions will simply differ on this subject.

Daniel Sycks

34 (edited by davisriley 2012-01-30 05:37 PM)

kornfeld wrote:

Wow, excellent responses so far.  Thanks everyone.

davisriley wrote:

I have an ISAAC, which according to them, beats them all.  http://www.isaacdirect.com/

This is a cool design, and one that I didn't find while searching.  If you need to get out of the car in a hurry, does it automatically detach somehow?

[

No, there is a release at either side.  And that is the whole reason it isn't sfi rated.  I have never had even a moments thought on disconnecting it, easy to do with gloves, but still, not an optimum solution. 
I like it, it works well for me, and I have never had cause to use it.  But sadly, when I get a new helmet, I will probably replace it with a HANS.  I drive with other organizations, and as I will probably start racing with them in the next few years, they will all require one that is certified.  Sadly, the sfi and HANS have been in bed for a long time, and have managed to eliminate many of the options.  So, HANS it will be.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

Leatte still makes them, just not for auto, they are the king in MX.  I think they fell under the same legal maneuvering as Defender.

the Syndicate - 30 losses and counting ...
89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

Yeah... HANS is all about its legal dept.

Daniel Sycks

There was a series of discussions about the Isaac device on the old specmiata.com site.  You might find them interesting if you can dig them up.  The Isaac dude didn't comport himself in a very professional manner, if you ask me.

As mentioned above, the Isaac attaches independently to the belt system, which violates the "single point of release" rule.  It also sketches me the hell out, in that it seems to me that a shoulder harness failure would become instantly fatal as the Isaac tears your head off.  Yes, I realize that you are in trouble regardless if one of your harnesses fails, but still.

HANS has the advantage of a massive installed user base.  Maybe as a result of their almost-monopoly.  Lots of data there, good and bad.  Might be why you hear about device-related injuries more often than with HANS than with the other brands.  HANS works best with a right-side net or full-containment seat.

The R3 is the only device that is harness-independent and can be used with a three-point.  But again as noted above, the injury these thingies are designed to prevent doesn't occur with a three-point.

The strapped-to-the-body designs (pretty much all the ex-Safety Solutions stuff) limit head motion when entering and exiting the car, which can be an issue with big dudes and little cockpits, so the quick-disconnect tethers are important.  I've found that the HANS slides around enough that I don't need QDs to get in or out and just leave the device attached to my helmet for the duration of my stay at the track.  I have heard bigger folks complain that the vertical bit sticking up behind your neck can get hung up on the roll cage while exiting.

Foam neck rings are comfort aids, not safety devices.  Anything SFI approved would be a step in the right direction.

Scott

dsycks wrote:

The point is that there are in fact reports of failure as well as increased risk of other injuries with the HANS that are NOT being attributed to other such devices. As such I find the jury to be out and that device to be worthy of questioning.

In addition. There are other issues at play in NASCAR aside from just tight belts. They have full containment seats that are fitted to the individual driver as well as other safety measures that most of us do not. These changes, namely the fitted seat, do a great deal to reducing possible issues with lateral movement and failure of the device in the way shown in the video.

I will say without ambiguity that the forces imparted on a human body in a crash make it fully believable to me that this can happen no matter how hard the belts are cinched down. The belt only need slide 2" to the side for this to happen and if you think that you can get a belt tight enough to make sure that does not happen in your typical Lemons car then I guess our opinions will simply differ on this subject.

I agree that our opinions will have to differ but there are a couple things that I would like to point out, some of which support your argument.

One that does not is the fact the current HANS has channels in it that are made specifically to prevent the belt from sliding.  If they are tightened properly and in the channels even 3 inch belts are not getting out of that channel.  Now as for older HANS units they may not have this channel (I don't know) but I could see that as an issue with them.

Also an important part of the HANS is that it goes over your shoulder.  You mention a typical Lemons car and the issue some have is that the Lemons car is one size fits all.  The problem?  If you have a driver, with a HANS thats too short for the seat, no matter how tight the belts are the HANS is not being supported and held down properly.  In this situation I also agree there could be a remote possibility of it slipping out.

But one thing I will say is that in my Lemons car you damn sure can get the belts tight enough, I put some of my lifelong friends out in that car (and heck I like myself too) so if there was no way to do that I would change the car.  I hope everyone else is as serious about safety, and if not they should be.

Jackasic wrote:

seems that Hans sued everybody else out of the way.

At least in theory, because they came up with the idea before anyone else and consequently got a bunch of patents to capitalize on their originality.  Given that portfolio, they'd be foolish not to aggressively assert it---realistically, this is exactly what the patent system is set up to produce.

fabtoys wrote:

Depends on the model of HANS.  The one that I share from a teammate has quick releases, but I prefer to get into and out of the car with the HANS on anyway.

RogueLeader wrote:

Also an important part of the HANS is that it goes over your shoulder.  You mention a typical Lemons car and the issue some have is that the Lemons car is one size fits all.  The problem?  If you have a driver, with a HANS thats too short for the seat, no matter how tight the belts are the HANS is not being supported and held down properly.  In this situation I also agree there could be a remote possibility of it slipping out.

It may be a failure of my own imagination, but I have a hard time following how a harness could be installed correctly and safely for a driver and not engage a HANS as designed.  (I'm not intending to address the potential concern about the belts disengaging the HANS even when installed correctly and safely, as I don't have the background to do so.)

#(1)75 (was #74) Dirt Cheap Racing (driver/wrench/cool suit cooler fabricator/accountant/substitute captain) - '88 Mustang turbo-4, in garish stickers over spray chrome!
2011 - Garrapatas (11th / 3rd in B), Heaps in the Heart of Texas (19th / 3rd in B)
2012 and 2013 - Lemons didn't fit into our schedule
2014 - Heaps in the Heart of Texas

dsycks wrote:

I don't have any data, but it seems to me that there are a lot more HANS devices out on the market, so it stands to reason that you'd hear more complaints.  Kinda like saying PC's suck because you heard about a couple people who had problems with them.

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

Mr. Wednesday wrote:

It may be a failure of my own imagination, but I have a hard time following how a harness could be installed correctly and safely for a driver and not engage a HANS as designed.  (I'm not intending to address the potential concern about the belts disengaging the HANS even when installed correctly and safely, as I don't have the background to do so.)

If you're a really short driver in a really tall seat, the harness holes may be an inch or more above your shoulders.  In reality the HANS should have the belt in contact with all parts of it.

Its just a theory however, just seems to make sense to me.

RogueLeader wrote:
Mr. Wednesday wrote:

If you're a really short driver in a really tall seat, the harness holes may be an inch or more above your shoulders.  In reality the HANS should have the belt in contact with all parts of it.

Its just a theory however, just seems to make sense to me.

Got it, now I understand what you're getting after.

In that event, even without a HANS, I'd be worried that the belts would not safely restrain the driver.  I know we've done our best to make sure that our belts make minimal contact with the seat going through the shoulder harness holes.

#(1)75 (was #74) Dirt Cheap Racing (driver/wrench/cool suit cooler fabricator/accountant/substitute captain) - '88 Mustang turbo-4, in garish stickers over spray chrome!
2011 - Garrapatas (11th / 3rd in B), Heaps in the Heart of Texas (19th / 3rd in B)

Something I saw the first time through but neglected to comment on...

kornfeld wrote:

Can anyone here confirm which seat belt system (i.e., 3 point or 5 point) is required for each device?  If it depends on the specific model, that's good info to have as well.

Note that Lemons requires a 5-point harness at minimum.

Mr. Wednesday wrote:

Something I saw the first time through but neglected to comment on...

kornfeld wrote:

Can anyone here confirm which seat belt system (i.e., 3 point or 5 point) is required for each device?  If it depends on the specific model, that's good info to have as well.

Note that Lemons requires a 5-point harness at minimum.

He was talking about doing HDPE events in his street car.  (Which as was covered in this thread, wouldn't need a HANS.)

I'm probably going to be buying a HANS type device here shortly, so I really appreciate all the info in this thread.  Now if only there was a local store I could try on carbon fiber SA2010 helmets!  JEGS is in town but they only have regular SA helmets or carbon fiber MA helmets.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

ogracing will install posts for free if you buy from them.  I sent my helmet and they did the rest...

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

46 (edited by RogueLeader 2012-01-31 09:10 PM)

This is a link to a post on another forum, its unfortunately about 8 years old, however it includes responses specifically by one of the creators of the Issac device, I've linked to page 5 as thats where most of the meaty info is, however there is interesting information on every page.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche- … ice-5.html

One thing I wanted to point out is "Gregg" from Issac is quick to point out a post from a racer about how he had a lasting injury from a HANS as he put it because of the abrupt stop at the end of the tethers.  Meanwhile their baseline Issac device is basically a simple pair of tethers.  No device is going to overcome physics, I don't care which device you are wearing, if you hit an immovable object head on your brain is gonna do some banging around in there.

Posted this on the other thread as well, try and read the thread with an open mind, I'm interested to see everyone's take on it.

EDIT: Just wanted to mention as well I've been searching online for a while tonight on this.  I have not found a single instance of anyone stating that their HANS or ANY other device for that matter, failed or did not protect them or someone they know or caused any additional injury other than the one mentioned in the thread above, which IMHO is questionable at best.  This is not to say it never happened, but I am just saying I didn't see anything, although I was specifically looking for HANS failures.  I own one, so I want to make sure of course what I am doing with it, is always going to be right.

Great read, thanks for posting that link.

So look at the pull angle on all the retention straps or shock absorbers. The only one that doesn't compress your spine is the Hans. All the others get tight and leave the momentum to yank down. Call me crazy but I don't want that in a crash. I get your body leans forward in a crash but imho not enough for me to be comfortable with the angle on them.

Also, if the Hans devices had a belt slip issue I'd hope they would have added some kind of lip to hold the belt centered by now.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

kornfeld wrote:

And now for a fourth response to my own thread.....

There are videos at the bottom of this page:

http://www.isaacdirect.com/html/OtherPa … sting.html

Watch the Delphi Sled, slow motion video.  Do those belts seem insanely loose?  The whole HANS device pops out.  I'm thinking that if that's how the data was collected for the graphs they have posted, the data is questionable at best.

Watch the real-time version, and that will put the slo-mo into better perspective.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Yeah... find the old specmiata thread on the isaac. That guy was a real piece of work. He was always very careful in how he presented his data.

He never did answer some of the more technical questions that some of the safety gurus asked him. And he never did come clean over the fact that the 'single release' wasn't the real issue keeping him from getting an FIA or SFI tag. And then when he lied about the cause of death of that 944 driver.... that was the final nail in his coffin.

crushcrushscramtrophytrophyjudgetrophyjudgetrophytrophytrophy....
The legacy continues.