51 (edited by RogueLeader 2012-02-02 08:03 PM)

Re: Neck Safety Device Comparison

jrbe wrote:

So look at the pull angle on all the retention straps or shock absorbers. The only one that doesn't compress your spine is the Hans. All the others get tight and leave the momentum to yank down. Call me crazy but I don't want that in a crash. I get your body leans forward in a crash but imho not enough for me to be comfortable with the angle on them.

Also, if the Hans devices had a belt slip issue I'd hope they would have added some kind of lip to hold the belt centered by now.

There is a belt channel on all current HANS devices.  Not sure when it was added, heck it may have been on very early models I only got mine last year.  IMHO i think that video from Issac is a setup, the belts definitely were not tight enough.  See below, as doctoring results doesn't seem to be beneath them

ArthurDented wrote:

Yeah... find the old specmiata thread on the isaac. That guy was a real piece of work. He was always very careful in how he presented his data.

He never did answer some of the more technical questions that some of the safety gurus asked him. And he never did come clean over the fact that the 'single release' wasn't the real issue keeping him from getting an FIA or SFI tag. And then when he lied about the cause of death of that 944 driver.... that was the final nail in his coffin.

I couldn't find 1 particular thread, but quite a few.  In all of them I agree with your assessment.  In one thread about apparently how SM guys were going to handle the pre race checklist after a tragic fire (that someone died in ???  Due to his fire bottle pin being stuck???), someone mentioned "HANS Straps" as being on their pre race get in the car check and "gbaker" chimed in with "Does this mean you have to remove the HANS straps before you can get out? " when everyone knows thats not the case.  Then got all defensive when someone called him out on trying to screw up a thread with what they called "his malarky".  Just a shady way to operate....  IMO

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

So HANs added a belt holding lip?

Gee... maybe there was something to the rumors that were dismissed without much thought early in this thread?

In addition. I do not see belt retaining lips in the video linked. Maybe this is a contributing factor to the outcome of the video?

I am not a homer for any given system and in fact don't like any, this is the major reason I have yet to buy one.

Daniel Sycks

dsycks wrote:

So HANs added a belt holding lip?

Gee... maybe there was something to the rumors that were dismissed without much thought early in this thread?

In addition. I do not see belt retaining lips in the video linked. Maybe this is a contributing factor to the outcome of the video?

I am not a homer for any given system and in fact don't like any, this is the major reason I have yet to buy one.

I bought my HANS last year and it had the lip.  Hence the "HANS" belts which are 2 inch wide instead of 3 and fit right in the channel.  I did some more research (yes I was bored at work, long story) but unfortunately I could not find an exact date as to when this lip became part of the HANS or if it was always on it or not.  As per HANS both 2 and 3 inch belts are fine with it and were tested to SFI spec.  Also I had seen discussion about the smaller belts to fit in the channel as far back as 2005, thats not to say it was any longer. 

I do agree that with out the lip, I am no scientist but it seems possible.  That said, the source that its coming from (Issac), I think is BS.  Also I am always skeptical when I hear 3rd hand information.  As discussed earlier, we don't know if the person who had these issues didn't tighten their belts all the way or what.  The couple of complaints from people involved in actual accidents that I could find posted online involved people breaking their collar bones, and one guy who said that even though it worked right he still had a brain injury due to his brain bouncing around in his head.  Physics, its a bitch.

No matter what, if one were to buy a new HANS today, they are getting a device with belt channels in it, so the concern is moot.  I believe the Defender has similar channels as well, so that device should not have this concern either.

I still think the belts are too loose in that Issac test, and I still think the company is BS.  Other devices pass the SFI rating and aren't HANS, and the way the guy conducts himself is shady(contradicting himself, jumping on unrelated threads to hawk product, etc), heck having that IMO "set-up" test on their main webpage (which looks like something someone made with HTMLEdit in 6th grade) as a downloadable mpg (because in trying to find their tests on youtube I had found they've all been removed), would make me leery about handing them $895 of racing money for their device.

Im not sure what the hans guys were thinking not including some belt retention something initially but glad to see its on the new ones, or whenever they started including it, thanks rogue. Good to know, Im planning on buying a hans at njmp this tear so i can try it on. 

From what i read on the spec miata posts a page back the test on the isaac is for spine "extension" or essentially pulling your head up.  The vertical angle of the isaac dampers would help this as long as they dont fail, but how about the forward/downward rotation of the head? The chin of the helmet has to stop that with your collar bone or sternum, or your neck absorbing or ? the rotation.  I dont see how that is a good thing. Im not seeing the safety benefits besides maybe preventing the skull base fracture they're talking about (yes thats a big deal but only part of what needs to happen in a crash as far as a brain bucket is concerned.)  I didnt read too far into it but it seems that spine extension data was the only stuff Isaac cared about looking at.

Im definitely on the side that the isaac is not proven safe but i'm not an expert on the subject.

The hans is the only one i would use (that is still for sale) that i've seen so far.  It restrains your helmet about at the center of gravity and essentially pulls straight back on it.  No twist, compression, or other funny business with the helmet.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

RogueLeader wrote:

That said, the source that its coming from (Issac), I think is BS.

I know you don't like that device. I don't care about that device. I would encourage all to be skeptical of all parties involved however and not hold a bias for one that you would not apply to the other.

As for the loose belts, did you look at the full speed video? I saw nothing that would indicate the belts were loose.

I saw you mentioned you were a fireman? As such you may spend some time at the scene of accidents and know what sort of forces are involved first hand? I'm an ER nurse and spent two year on a mobile ICU and responded to my share of MVCs and saw the same things. given what I see and hear and take in, I feel my reservations and fears are plausible.

I for one liked the Defender the most as well and can't get one now. It also had a few issues in my eyes but overall I liked the package a lot.

Daniel Sycks

dsycks wrote:
RogueLeader wrote:

That said, the source that its coming from (Issac), I think is BS.

I know you don't like that device. I don't care about that device. I would encourage all to be skeptical of all parties involved however and not hold a bias for one that you would not apply to the other.

As for the loose belts, did you look at the full speed video? I saw nothing that would indicate the belts were loose.

I saw you mentioned you were a fireman? As such you may spend some time at the scene of accidents and know what sort of forces are involved first hand? I'm an ER nurse and spent two year on a mobile ICU and responded to my share of MVCs and saw the same things. given what I see and hear and take in, I feel my reservations and fears are plausible.

I for one liked the Defender the most as well and can't get one now. It also had a few issues in my eyes but overall I liked the package a lot.

I did see the full speed one, and it still seemed like it to me.  But I will concede of course its just a video and I was not there, so I can't say with 100% certainty I am right.

I have been to many accidents and yes the body is a slippery stretchy thing.  Honestly the 3 point seatbelt in a car, while "better than nothing" is just that.  That said if you started putting a 4 point belt of some sort in cars you'd start to have the risk of these neck injuries.  At least the 3 point allows the impact to be spread to your whole body.  Most of the deaths I've seen is not due to the physical "impact" (except for 1 guy with a cracked vertabrae, that wouldn't listen to anyone, turned his head and severed his spine), most all are due to the car crushing around them, blood loss due to that, or hitting their head on something solid.

I did not realize the Defender is no longer available??  The only thing about that I heard was bad was some people complained it had too many big parts that got caught on stuff when trying to self extricate.

RogueLeader wrote:

EDIT: Just wanted to mention as well I've been searching online for a while tonight on this.  I have not found a single instance of anyone stating that their HANS or ANY other device for that matter, failed or did not protect them or someone they know or caused any additional injury other than the one mentioned in the thread above, which IMHO is questionable at best.  This is not to say it never happened, but I am just saying I didn't see anything, although I was specifically looking for HANS failures.  I own one, so I want to make sure of course what I am doing with it, is always going to be right.

It's going to be difficult to find anyone in the racing industry who comes out and says "We are advising that you do not use Product Y because we have found that it could cause injury".  As I stated before, USAC dropped the requirement for SFI rated head and neck restraints.  Unofficially, this was due to the jump in neck/shoulder injuries that started immediately after they were mandated but no one will ever publically admit it.  So the best that I can do is to show you a comparison of the old and new rules.

2009 USAC Rulebook

http://www.usacracing.com/assets/files/ … LEBOOK.pdf

Section 326.6

"F.      A SFI approved head and neck restraint system is required"

2012 USAC Rulebook

http://www.usacracing.com/assets/files/ … Sprint.pdf

Section 323.7

"A SFI approved head and neck restraint is highly suggested"

I guess you have to ask yourself, why would a sanctioning body relax its rules on a safety item?  I suppose one could suggest that the devices were improperly used but I'm fairly confident that the design of some was a direct cause in some of these shoulder injuries only because of the higher than normal numbers of them.

I offer this up not as an indictment of head and neck  restraints but as a counterpoint to some of the suggestions that Brand X is the only way to go.  If nothing else (and discounting anything that I have contributed), I guarantee that this thread has educated some people and directly caused some people to investigate safety devices more thoroughly.  I see nothing wrong with that.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:

It's going to be difficult to find anyone in the racing industry who comes out and says "We are advising that you do not use Product Y because we have found that it could cause injury".

I didn't expect to find that, I was more looking for an individual like one of us posting on a forum saying hey I got messed up due to my HANS, or my Issac failed and i had a bad head injury, etc.  I didn't really see that, and with the concerns and how many crashes that do happen racing (I would say probably everyone of us knows someone who crashed a race car, heck you could say you know me and I put a Skip Barber car into the armco at Limerock in 2004), if there was such a big issue I expected to see more posts like that.

I offer this up not as an indictment of head and neck  restraints but as a counterpoint to some of the suggestions that Brand X is the only way to go.  If nothing else (and discounting anything that I have contributed), I guarantee that this thread has educated some people and directly caused some people to investigate safety devices more thoroughly.  I see nothing wrong with that.

Exactly, I learned a lot just looking around online due to this thread, both as a concern for myself and friends who have a HANS, and also to be able to give an informed opinion over a gut feeling.  However my gut still puts me against the Issac, and the information I've found so far has fueled my gut.

59 (edited by jiggermyster 2012-02-03 11:21 AM)

lips shmips... a couple tiewraps and the shoulder straps aren't going anywhere... *g*

My 2¢ on head & neck restraints:
There are many more impacts in racing that are relatively minor which can (do) result in neck injuries than there are 50g+ splats into things resulting in internal decapitations.
With that in mind, I'd lean toward something that is simple and effective in most situations. (instead of those horse collars that are trying to leaver my head off...)

Brutal crash...this is up on the defnder website:

"It was a pretty big off but we walked away with only minor bruising and both of our necks are not sore at all thanks to the DefNder neck braces."

- Danny Auricht Pines Enduro Crash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh3QiJHN … r_embedded

A good picture showing the size of the lips holding the belts in place:

http://simpsonraceproducts.com/images/products/f/520_Sport_SQ.jpg

62 (edited by kornfeld 2012-02-03 01:52 PM)

Excellent article:

"Head and Neck Restraint Systems: Comparisons & Politics"

http://www.goaheadtakethewheel.com/blog … -politics/

Excellent video:

"Head and Neck Restraint System Comparisons"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpRN8JQS … ature=plcp

63 (edited by kornfeld 2012-02-03 02:08 PM)

A pretty thorough review of the Hybrid Rage:

http://www.drivenasacentral.com/forum/s … review....

I wouldn't have ever thought about the different designs tapping against the helmets...but I can totally see that being a major annoyance if they do.

kornfeld wrote:

Brutal crash...this is up on the defnder website:

"It was a pretty big off but we walked away with only minor bruising and both of our necks are not sore at all thanks to the DefNder neck braces."

- Danny Auricht Pines Enduro Crash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh3QiJHN … r_embedded

I think having the steering wheel on the right side causes problems

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

Safety Solutions/Simpson sold a device called the "D-Cel" that was similar to the Hutchens, but without a hard part. It's a harness you wear around your legs and chest. You attach a short wire to two points on each side of the helmet, and short tethers from the front and back of each shoulder attach to each wire using a quick-release clip. http://www.upr.com/images/D/dcel_522.jpg

The pros for Lemons are that the design stays with the driver and doesn't rely on any attachments to the car or seatbelts, so it doesn't interfere with driver changes. The multiple attachment points, combined with the fact that it remains attached to the driver means it tends to work better in multiple impact or side/roll-over crashes (supposedly).

The cons are that you WILL notice when you're wearing it, as it anchors to the pelvis (place those straps carefully...). You have to drill into the helmet in four places to mount the wires, and in different places than Hans anchors. Also, since it's all webbing, it technically has a limited lifespan.

It seems like a good solution for someone like me, who wants some form of meaningful protection that's fairly easy to use (just have to cinch-down or "seat" the straps after getting belted-in) but isn't ready to plunk down the money for a Hans etc.

I have one of the original HANS devices without the lip. I've also used one with the lip and it really makes no difference except when belting up. The lip helps get it on right in the first place.

I've crash tested my HANS a few times. Twice at MSRH, once at Hallett, once at TWS... those are the big ones. I needed surgery after one of the 'tests' but my brain and neck were as okay as they never were.

In one of the shunts, my data acquisition system was off scale at +10G. The GPS-based data suggested >20G's but that's suspect. The hit was hard enough to wrinkle the transmission tunnel all the way to the back of the drivers's seat. I walked away without any injury other than to my wallet.

One key to good success with the HANS is making sure the belts are in right. In many cars, the shoulder harnesses need to be crossed behind the seats to make the right angles.

crushcrushscramtrophytrophyjudgetrophyjudgetrophytrophytrophy....
The legacy continues.

Here is something else for you all to read and debate.  It is written by David Gran from Go Ahead Take the Wheel.  Good read regarding the SFI rating and how the restraints are tested.

txryder wrote:

Here is something else for you all to read and debate.  It is written by David Gran from Go Ahead Take the Wheel.  Good read regarding the SFI rating and how the restraints are tested.

Definitely worth posting again, in case people missed it when I put it up last week.  The video does a good job of showing each device in ways pictures don't.

I found another device called the G-Force SRS-1, and added it to the original post.  I'm not particularly thrilled with the design (based on a quick glance.)

This was the graphic that mentioned the SRS-1:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ifU4eUcE67Y/Ty80J2JB4-I/AAAAAAAAA6w/Xvdxj0VAqIM/s550/lftchartsSm.jpg

Anyone know of any places that still have a Defnder neck brace in stock?  It looks like everywhere is sold out, so this is probably a long shot, but I figured I'd ask.

I'm thinking I might do the rent-to-own thing with an R3 and a Hybrid Pro Rage at Infineon in March, but the Defnder is appealing as well.

I think the DefNder is DOA.

R3 is the direction I may go.

Daniel Sycks

Another good thread:

http://www.euroteknik.com/forum/track-a … tions.html

Another amazing site:

http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Head_and_Neck_Restraints

dsycks wrote:

I think the DefNder is DOA.

There were still some new ones available from a couple dealers towards the end of last year.  Probably all gone by now.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

75 (edited by kornfeld 2012-02-10 05:49 PM)

Multiple people here mentioned the leatt brace, but I couldn't ever find a version that was for auto racing where you were belted into the car...I finally found what everyone was talking about.  The model is Moto-R.  I added it to the first post, but here's a shot of what it looks like:

http://www.philsinc.com/images/leattD.jpg

And here's a video on its use:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d666W3nAzA

The coolest part of the video, IMO, starts at 3:50.  The strap that attaches the helmet to the brace goes around the chin strap on the helmet, instead of being screwed into the shell of the helmet.  Pretty cool design!

The only thing that gives me any concern is the huge panel in the back...I could see that getting in the way during a frantic exit.