Re: Neck Safety Device Comparison

Also, in case anyone is curious, here's a link to the full 38.1 spec description:

http://www.sfifoundation.com/Spec_38.1_092311.pdf

A lot of it reads like silly legalese to me, but some things jump out:

Reaction Linkage: The means by which the head force necessary to limit
displacement of the head with respect to the torso is reacted. Acceptable
reaction linkages could include load paths to the torso or to the restraint
webbing. Direct attachment to react loads to a fixed point or points on a
vehicle structure or restraint webbing will not be acceptable because of the
potential for torso displacements with respect to these points. Imposed
loading by the reaction linkage to other areas of the body should be applied
using approaches demonstrated to be practical without imposing risk of
serious injury.

I'm guessing that's the specific part that keeps the Isaac system from being certified.

It also goes into detail about the flame tests the devices go through.  Good info.

RogueLeader wrote:

my concern would be with things like the anchors.  Say you get a new helmet in a couple years and you need new anchors for some reason, or one of them breaks, or a tether breaks for some reason.  Not saying defective but you know shit happens.  Now you have a $600 paperweight if they get sued into oblivion again.

This is a really good point.  It looks like the anchors they're using are different from all of the other models.  I like how they look, particularly because it looks like the wouldn't clack against the helmet like the D-rings on the hybrids and R3.  It would suck if they get sued again though, and then you can't get replacements.

As one could still buy parts to fix their Defender after they got put out of business, I think they may well be able to sell parts to fix them if and when they get put out again.

Daniel Sycks

Also a good point.

105 (edited by Mr. Wednesday 2012-03-05 09:08 PM)

jimbo_se-r wrote:

The established history, to me, is that they came out with a cool product and were sued to keep it from being sold

I have to confess, I really don't get the animosity toward HANS for asserting their patents.  They were AFAIK first to market, and got into this stuff well before there was a big demand for it.  The patent system (which is established in the Constitution) is intended to encourage that kind of innovation.

I can understand griping about the SFI spec, if that does in fact require a design covered by the HANS patent portfolio to comply---I don't have familiarity with either the spec or the patent portfolio, so I can't say whether it does or doesn't---and there's no RAND restriction on the involved patents, but that's a separate issue from the patents themselves.

(edit: the issue with a patent-encumbered standard for something hardware like this is more whether the patent is licensed on reasonable terms to all comers than whether there is an encumbrance at all, in my view.)

#(1)75 (was #74) Dirt Cheap Racing (driver/wrench/cool suit cooler fabricator/accountant/substitute captain) - '88 Mustang turbo-4, in garish stickers over spray chrome!
2011 - Garrapatas (11th / 3rd in B), Heaps in the Heart of Texas (19th / 3rd in B)
2012 and 2013 - Lemons didn't fit into our schedule
2014 - Heaps in the Heart of Texas

Mr. Wednesday wrote:
jimbo_se-r wrote:

The established history, to me, is that they came out with a cool product and were sued to keep it from being sold

I have to confess, I really don't get the animosity toward HANS for asserting their patents.  They were AFAIK first to market, and got into this stuff well before there was a big demand for it.  The patent system (which is established in the Constitution) is intended to encourage that kind of innovation.

I can understand griping about the SFI spec, if that does in fact require a design covered by the HANS patent portfolio to comply---I don't have familiarity with either the spec or the patent portfolio, so I can't say whether it does or doesn't---and there's no RAND restriction on the involved patents, but that's a separate issue from the patents themselves.

(edit: the issue with a patent-encumbered standard for something hardware like this is more whether the patent is licensed on reasonable terms to all comers than whether there is an encumbrance at all, in my view.)

No animosity here, I was just stating a fact.  I haven't read the patents, I'm not a patent attorney.  But at some point someone will have a product that doesn't violate existing patents, or a company will argue that said patents are invalid because of prior patents, clearing the way for competing products.  If I were buying a system today, I'd buy a HANS.  But I'm not in the market right now, so I'm still hoping for something better & cheaper to bring some competition to the market.

Once the market gets another player or two, I'd expect some revision to the SFI standard to open it up a bit more.

Pucker Factor Racing - Gator-O-Rama, Feb '11, Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas!, Oct '11
Scuderia Ignorante - Yee-Haw, It's Lemons Texas, Feb '12 (As seen in Car & Driver), Gator-O-Rama, Sept '13

As far as helmet mounts go, got an Isaac used, took 3 weeks of calls and emails to get a response to a question.  Ordered the parts, 2 weeks later, they still hadn't shipped.  Cancelled everything and are still looking for a team neck device.
My .02

Putting the "dirty" in Dirty Little Freaks Racing
~stalk us on facebook

jimbo_se-r wrote:

No animosity here, I was just stating a fact.

Cool, sorry for misunderstanding you. cool

I guess I've felt a bit of ill-will towards HANS in other posts on the topic (on other fora too), so I was more predisposed to see it in yours.

#(1)75 (was #74) Dirt Cheap Racing (driver/wrench/cool suit cooler fabricator/accountant/substitute captain) - '88 Mustang turbo-4, in garish stickers over spray chrome!
2011 - Garrapatas (11th / 3rd in B), Heaps in the Heart of Texas (19th / 3rd in B)
2012 and 2013 - Lemons didn't fit into our schedule
2014 - Heaps in the Heart of Texas

Here's the text from Leatt's list of press releases, which clearly show that they sued DefNder:

http://www.leatt-corp.com/stat_archive.htm

THURSDAY, DECEMBER 11, 2008
LEATT® CORPORATION GETS COURT ORDER

Cape Town, South Africa, 11 December 2008: Leatt Corporation, a Nevada corporation (OTC Symbol: LEAT)(“Company” or Leatt Corporation”), announced today that a South African High Court granted Leatt Corporation¹s request for a restraining order against Karl Ebel and Grant Nelson, former employees of Leatt Corporation, which order temporarily restrains them from disclosure of proprietary information about and commercial exploitation of the Leatt Brace ® Moto-R prototype 2.

The injunction was granted on December 5, 2008 and will remain in force until resolution of Leatt Corporation¹s pending legal proceeding against Mr. Ebel, Mr. Williams and Mr. Nelson in the South African court. Leatt Corporation alleges that the former employees are selling a neck brace (through a California company) that is based on and violates Leatt Corporation¹s intellectual property rights, that neck brace is sold under the name “DefNder”. Leatt Corporation intends to vigorously pursue its claims in this matter.

LEATT CORPORATION IS AWARDED DEFAULT JUDGEMENT AGAINST INNOVATIVE SAFETY TECHNOLOGY LLC
September 13, 2010

CAPE TOWN, SA: Leatt Corporation, a Nevada corporation (Symbol: LEAT.PK) (Company), and the developer of the Leatt-Brace®, a Neck Brace System designed to help prevent potentially devastating motor sport injuries to the neck, today announced that they have been awarded a Default Judgment and a damages award of USD $200,000.00 against Innovative Safety Technology LLC, a California limited liability company, (IST). The Company filed a complaint in the United States District Court for the Southern District of California, U.S.A. (“Court”) against IST and other parties on June 16, 2009, which complaint alleged: misappropriation of trade secrets; unfair competition; and tortious interference and sought enforcement of a foreign arbitration award with regard to the neck brace called the “DefNder”. The Court awarded a money judgment for $200,000 and enjoined IST “from any further misappropriation, use, disclosure, manufacture, importation, marketing, sales, or offers for sale of products containing Leatt’s trade secrets for a period of two years after entry of this default judgment.”

“We are thrilled with the outcome and have once again shown our commitment to protecting our Intellectual Property rights worldwide,” said acting Company Chief Executive Officer Sean Macdonald.

I actually haven't found anything more than forum posts that say that HANS sued DefNder as well.  This thread:

http://www.trackpedia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4925

at least links to an article that appears like it could be possibly legit, but the link isn't active anymore, so who knows.  This thread makes it sound like HANS was pretty reasonable with the whole deal:

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=3010004

Particularly posts 13 and 14.  Who knows what's true.

And according to post 20 in this thread:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh … ?t=1786249

Leatt is coming out with a new version of the Moto R this year.

I emailed NecksGen a few questions and just got a response email:

-The tether can slide, so you can move your head

-The SFI test results are going to be up on their website shortly

-They have units built and ready to ship

-They don't have a rent-to-own option, and they won't send me a unit to test out and show off at Infineon (can't hurt to ask, right?)

Can you guys address the relative merits of these devices on side impact?  It's been awhile, but didn't the Cav driver have a side impact at Sears?  Would a neck ring be better in that situation?  Thanks.

rodknox2 wrote:

Can you guys address the relative merits of these devices on side impact?  It's been awhile, but didn't the Cav driver have a side impact at Sears?  Would a neck ring be better in that situation?  Thanks.

The Foam Neck Ring would never be better in any situation. 

As for Side impact rating I believe some of the non-HANS devices have better ratings than HANS based on this thread, just skim back through it.

That said the problem that this was created to solve, frontal accident basal skull fractures, all devices work just as well from what I can see.  Side impacts weren't killing or disabling people, only those frontal impacts were.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

If by "neck ring" you mean one of the foam donuts, I don't think they're good for anything safety related at any angle of impact....they're just for comfort.

According to almost all graphs I've seen, when comparing side impact, I think the Hans does the worst, then the R3, then the Hybrid models do the best.  However, these graphs are from the manufacturers, so who knows.

This graph is hosted by Isaac:

http://www.isaacdirect.com/images/TestGraphs/Chart9.GIF

And shows that in lateral shear, the HANS device can actually increase the load on your neck to a level higher than it would be with no safety device at all.  Here's a graphic showing what lateral shear is (and all of the other directions of motion as well).

http://www.isaacdirect.com/images/TestGraphs/SignConventionSmall.jpg

That's interesting data, because what it shows is that every device other than the Isaac works to multiply lateral shear forces. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but interesting. The only way that I can see a HANS creating a multiplier effect in the Fy axis is if the sideways force applied induced a Mz force that was then measured on the Fy axis. Mebbe?

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Love that the lawsuit was in SA...
..... .... ... .......... ....     ....
... .......... ........
(content blocked pending lawsu......

117 (edited by kornfeld 2012-03-06 10:49 AM)

My guess on the increased lateral shear load is that the HANS device serves to concentrate the load in one spot.  This is because there's a hard object (namely, the brace) right on the corner between your shoulder and your neck.

I'm guessing your neck can normally curve smoothly and distribute the load evenly; but if there is a hard brace right there, there's a sharp point where all of the load is focused. 

A seat belt might do the same thing, but it also might have enough give to not be as bad as a hard plastic brace.

The Leatt brace looks like it goes further up your neck, so it wouldn't generate this effect as badly, but it would still do it...and sure enough, the Leatt brace increases the load a little bit, but not as bad as the HANS device.  I wish we could get the shear values for the R3 and the Hybrid models to see if this idea is correct, because they don't really have anything right in the crook of your neck and shoulder.

To argue against the point I just made, though....if that explanation is correct, I would expect the lateral moment to increase as well.  In this graph:

http://www.isaacdirect.com/images/TestGraphs/Chart10.GIF

The lateral moment is high, but it is reduced from the baseline.  If the lateral shear went up because of a hard thing being on your neck, I'd expect the lateral moment to go up as well.  But it didn't.

And to argue against that point, the Hans device might stop the head from rotating, but still allow your whole body to slide over excessively under the harness.

In other words, your head can't rotate independently from your body, but your head and body might slide sideways together under then Hans itself.  This would explain the tweaking of your neck in shear, even though your head might not be able to rotate.

Yeah, that's why I was focusing on maybe a Mz multiplier. The HANS just has the tether that's attached at 2 points on the device and at 2 points on the helmet. If the test was done such that the vector of the force applied is purely in the Fy direction, then I could imagine that a HANS device could max out its lateral travel on the force-applied side of the Fy vector, which could then result in that load going into a Mz twisting motion, which (depending on how the test measurement device was arranged) could appear to be an additional Fy force.

Say, for example, that the test is using some version of a dial indicator like you use on a machining stand. If it's set up so that the end of the indicator is in the Fy vector, then when the helmet twists, it would force the rod into the dial indicator further, resulting in an apparent increase in Fy, when really it's showing the effect of an Mz motion.

I'm not saying that's what happened or how the test was constructed, just how it could have happened. It just seems odd that you'd have a true multiplier effect.

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I read somewhere that the HANS is actually designed such that it grips the belts more securely than it grips to your shoulders.

This is done so that in an accident, you rotate forward under the harness, which takes all of the slack out of the tethers, and then they are solidly anchored and hold your head in place.

The flip side of that might be that you can also slide sideways under the device.  That's the only way I could see ending up with an increase in load (obviously not the only possible answer, just the only one I can think of).  I agree it's a weird outcome.

I have a HANS and have worn it in several races now. If there's slippage of the body under the HANS, it's going to be pretty limited unless you don't have the belts tight. I've found that I feel more locked into the seat and the belts with the HANS on than when I was just wearing the foam dog collar neck ring. My HANS device has the sliding tethers and I haven't felt like it limits the rotation of the head to prevent/limit sideways vision in any way. But that's all just anecdotal.

Having looked through this stuff countless time, especially the side impact stuff I was left with one question.

While theres all this data to say who's better or who is worse (of course all the data is presented by the specific manufacturers, but we'll forget that part), where is some proof to show me someone had any sort of real life exacerbated injury due to ANY of these devices?

The only injuries I've heard of are broken collar bones with the HANS, which yes sucks, but its better than your neck.  The HANS has arguably been crashed 10x more than any of the other devices in every way possible and no one has come out with anything.  Same with the rest for that matter.  I haven't heard of anyone injured or killed due to a leatt, issac, defnder, etc.  Not any sort of broken neck or nerve damage or anything due to an offset impact or side impact.

Point being I think they all work as intended, and the data presented doesn't show the true picture (and the part about the HANS mentioned in the past couple of posts doesn't even make sense).  Pick whats most comfortable for you, at the right price for you, that you can safely escape the car easiest with because honestly thats the more likely situation.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

In this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RinuSRqMaM

You can see the person slide forward for a bit, and the HANS device stays stationary until all of the slack is taken out of the tethers.

In this I think the HANS worked better than a foam collar.

more power more power oh crap oh crap ohcrapcrapcrap

For me, side impact is something I'm worrying about.  Our car was almost t-boned at MSR last year (I think it was last year, maybe '10?) when someone else had a stuck throttle cable and cut across the infield.  Since frontal seems pretty consistent, when I buy, this will likely be the deciding factor.

Pucker Factor Racing - Gator-O-Rama, Feb '11, Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas!, Oct '11
Scuderia Ignorante - Yee-Haw, It's Lemons Texas, Feb '12 (As seen in Car & Driver), Gator-O-Rama, Sept '13