Topic: Lamest Day coming up quick - who's still building?

We are in full scramble mode with only a week and a half left until NL.  Our car did run briefly before we sent it off for cage building, but it still hasn't moved under its own power in 15+ years.

We tried to rebuild the brake hydraulics, but the new seals in honed bores just aren't working.  We can't get a solid pedal.  It will bleed and feel good, but then go to the floor again after sitting for a minute.  Today, we broke down and ordered a new master and new wheel cylinders.  The front calipers appear to be woring for now.

Our punchlist isn't too long, but some big ones are left.  We did get the springs cut, the cage and seat in, and the fuel system cleaned and installed.  We still have to tune the carbs, align the car, install and bleed the new brake parts, wire the lights, wire the kill switch, paint/decorate the car, and make a mini dash for the gauges and switches.  With some luck, we will not have any more setbacks.  I just hope we can finish in time to get the car on the track Friday to shake it down and sort it.

To make matters worse, we are a five man team with two of them living in CA and another that is in Japan on business until a few days before the race.  Oh, and we have jobs and families that keep us busy.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Re: Lamest Day coming up quick - who's still building?

I think most/all teams have to still be going "oh shit"...

Our car *should* have it's cage done in the next couple days.

-Chip

Free Candy Racing
www.freecandyracing.com

We tested our car at Lemons South.

It failed.

We have 9 days to get our new engine in and sorted, get lights installed, and get everything sorted.  So, basically, we'll be thrashing on it all weekend.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

I was too busy with a demolition derby this past weekend to fool with the Caddy (won the big stock car class with a '93 LeSabre, don't ask me how). It's crunch time now. The cage will be here late tonight, and should be welded in by Thursday night. A big order for parts was made today from RockAuto, just to make sure we don't wind up needing basic stuff next week. I scrubbed years worth of mildew off the car before leaving for work today, and my cousin is working on getting old tape residue off the car, so we can paint it.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

I hope you are doing some weight reduction.  Do you have it running yet?

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

So we've got a '61 Cadillac versus a Lada Signet. Capitalism versus Communism! A natural rivalry if we've ever seen one.

I hope the Cadillac has a Capitalist Plutocrat theme, complete with the team wearing tuxes and carrying big bags of cash. You could have the Monopoly man as your symbol!

http://www2.islandpacket.com/ip_files/images/monopoly-man.jpg

a Lada?  awesome.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

8 (edited by RobL 2009-09-21 04:10 PM)

We had our MR2 out an autocross this past weekend.  We lost the power assist on our brakes (note to other teams - use vacuum line not silicone when you need vacuum).  Things generally went well.  We just need to add a little toe-in to the back to make it more stable on the track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZL4TV37g3Q

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

NDGeist wrote:

I think most/all teams have to still be going "oh shit"...

Our car *should* have it's cage done in the next couple days.

So good to see this.  The team member in charge of building the cage has been, well, a bit lax.  Should be done by sunday.  Then a mad thrash for a few days to get it ready.  Good times!

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

RobL wrote:

We just need to add a little toe-in to the back to make it more stable on the track.

i'll say.  otherwise, it looked great!

12+-time loser

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/middlemiss/IMG_0614.gif

We are getting there... fairly close...

Team Magnum PI ness  #357  -

106th place at Nelson Ledges - The Lamest Days
-oil pressure failure leading to engine failure

Are those Molson Exports on the roof?

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Haha, jim, at that point on sunday we were nursing some serious hangovers... haha there was not a full beer around to be found...

14 (edited by Speedycop 2009-09-22 07:22 AM)

Jeff G 78 wrote:

I hope you are doing some weight reduction.  Do you have it running yet?

I drove it the 100 yards home. Barely. The carb is full of trash. I either need to rebuild it or replace it, and quickly. I'm debating ordering a fuel cell this morning. The tank looks okay, but it's probably full of scale.

NO WEIGHT REDUCTION. This thing is gonna run as it was made, stock, and full weight. Judging by the weight of our cage (1.75x.120 DOM), it's gonna be more that the factory 4,710 pounds. I want to be able to street it or sell it after the race. BTW, the clear title will be coming with us. If you've always dreamed of having a '61 Caddy race car (who hasn't?), bring cash, and make an offer.

Murilee, GREAT idea, but as we're raising money for breast cancer research, it won't work this time. Or would it? Hmm...

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

15 (edited by Jer 2009-09-22 08:56 AM)

We discovered a potential motor problem and are preparing for a head/motor replacement this weekend.  Oh, and our cage builder (it was a bolt-in for christ sake!) buggered up the cage install and so we have to redo the cage.  And he messed up our seat install.  Needless to say, he was booted from the team and we are scrambling in true Lemons fashion to get the Mazderati together in time for the race.  We'll be there, I'm pretty sure!

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Jer wrote:

We discovered a potential motor problem and are preparing for a head/motor replacement this weekend.  Oh, and our cage builder (it was a bolt-in for christ sake!) buggered up the cage install and so we have to redo the cage.  And he messed up our seat install.  Needless to say, he was booted from the team and we are scrambling in true Lemons fashion to get the Mazderati together in time for the race.  We'll be there, I'm pretty sure!

That stinks..I know what thats like, our car runs but has yet to roll... it looks good on jack stands..hahah

http://noheat.com/images/HDR_CamaroYellow.jpg

Well the cage goes in this weekend.  We have a hundred little things to get done.  The good news is we got it painted it has the brakes installed except for a metal line in the back.  Mechanically we are good shape.  Praying the cage guys can hit the cage quickly.  Now to order that helmet and driving suit....

MagnumPI when does it turn red and start looking like a Ferrari?

harddriveracing.com wrote:

The good news is we got it painted

good to see you guys have your priorities in order.

12+-time loser

19 (edited by MagnumPI 2009-09-22 11:01 AM)

Thats the last thing we will be doing - dont want to wreck the paint...  likely using trimclad,

Well the cage goes in this weekend.  We have a hundred little things to get done.  The good news is we got it painted it has the brakes installed except for a metal line in the back.  Mechanically we are good shape.

Better go to the junkyard right now and get the biggest radiator you can possibly squeeze into the car; 3rd-gen Camaros usually overheat like crazy at Lemons.

MurileeMartin wrote:

Well the cage goes in this weekend.  We have a hundred little things to get done.  The good news is we got it painted it has the brakes installed except for a metal line in the back.  Mechanically we are good shape.

Better go to the junkyard right now and get the biggest radiator you can possibly squeeze into the car; 3rd-gen Camaros usually overheat like crazy at Lemons.

That, or leave the hood the way it sits right now & cut a 12x12 hole in the front bumper.... big_smile

http://noheat.com/images/HDR_CamaroYellow.jpg

Well the cage goes in this weekend.  We have a hundred little things to get done.  The good news is we got it painted it has the brakes installed except for a metal line in the back.  Mechanically we are good shape.  Praying the cage guys can hit the cage quickly.  Now to order that helmet and driving suit....

Don't forget to finish the paint Job, Numbers on top? Just a suggestion.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

Buzz Killington wrote:

The good news is we got it painted

good to see you guys have your priorities in order.

Dammit... you made me blow a snot bubble.

Drat! And Double Drat!

Jobs were done based on tools.  We had a spray gun and paint last weekend...Plasma cutter and MIG welder next weekend. 

On the radiator we opened up the grill to increase airflow, theres a ups box jammed in there so paint didn't get in.  Most Fbodys loose the bottom breather plastic that scoops air from under the car which causes the bad airflow.  We opened up the nose in preparation to make it look like a 76 (you'll see) which should help.  When we picked it up it also had aftermarket dual electric fans which we promptly hooked up to a switch on the dash.

We actually talked about a 4 core a few times.  I'd like to see a Camaro finish a race so maybe I'll be making that trip to the yard.

That would be us.

Drivetrain is in, but we had some histrionics with the cage (first builder flaked) that set us back 4 (yes four) weeks.

And because the only $175 engine we could find used a whole different wiring harness than the one in the car, I've got about 30 hours into splicing the two. Yippee.

Captainess: #88 Scirocket Racing - Did someone say Pikachu?