Re: Lamest Day coming up quick - who's still building?

We're painting our Mazderati tonight.  Beer and housepaint/brushes, should look just like Maaco when we're done.   And we also might be installing our gigantic wing tonight.  if you're gonna go, go big!

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Our car was Maaco'd when we bought it. We still can't believe we got the car for what we paid for it - $150. It was already lemony-good then. Well, the hydrated oil pan was not so good.

Captainess: #88 Scirocket Racing - Did someone say Pikachu?

harddriveracing.com wrote:

Jobs were done based on tools.  We had a spray gun and paint last weekend...Plasma cutter and MIG welder next weekend. 

On the radiator we opened up the grill to increase airflow, theres a ups box jammed in there so paint didn't get in.  Most Fbodys loose the bottom breather plastic that scoops air from under the car which causes the bad airflow.  We opened up the nose in preparation to make it look like a 76 (you'll see) which should help.  When we picked it up it also had aftermarket dual electric fans which we promptly hooked up to a switch on the dash.

We actually talked about a 4 core a few times.  I'd like to see a Camaro finish a race so maybe I'll be making that trip to the yard.

Make sure not to run a number like 88 that reads the same upside down as right side up. A Camaro in the Longest Day from about 1984 ended up on it's roof 5 times wearing the number 88!!! And it was a t-top car. Ouch!!!

Bryan Bartzi
Nelson Ledges Roadcourse

we've been working on our Nelson car for awhile now- got it back from cage about three weeks ago. The team scrambled for a full weekend working out things like a bad waterpump, fluid changes, clutch issues and getting the seat to fit right, but its almost done. I did the entire paintjob for $45 w/ a rattle can and a roller.    http://xsboost90.wordpress.com/

Team Captain: Dragon Somethin' #44 - aka- "peoples curse"
http://xsboost90.wordpress.com/

Hey Magnum:

We will try to stop by Saturday morning before the race to say hi.

We are leaving from St. Kitts nice and early Saturday morning, hitting the duty free, and getting the Nelson in good time.

Good luck and kick ass at the Lamest Day!

If there is anyone that is still building in the Philadelphia area that needs some last minute welding/fabricating - call the Schumacher Taxi Service.  We will be working on our car all weekend at my house and am willing to help any other team in need to make sure you get on the track.   email  rob_leone at verizon dot net . 

Alternatively, we are going to be at the track with as much as my machine shop as I can carry.  We can help teams all day Friday and Saturday morning.

As a warning - the majority of things that I've fixed to help teams through tech have been welding reclining mechanisms stiff.  Tech really doesn't like the seatbacks to move at all.  I can do it, but if you think your seat may not pass - get it done beforehand and let the really helpless teams get the at track help. 

As a second warning - do not offer me or our team money if we do help you.  We do this for the fun of the sport and to keep teams on track.  I know how much it sucks to be off track because widget A is no longer attached to gizmo B and JB weld takes 12 hours to cure.  Want to repay us?  Don't hit us on track.  Oh, and coffee, donuts, food, Friday/after event beer, etc. would also gladly be accepted.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Rob, thank you for understanding the true nature of crap-can racing smile

Too bad you aren't coming to T-Hill.. our welds are fugly smile

We finished the car last weekend.  A whole week to spare!!  Wow I'm getting better at this  We are also running a 3rd Gen Camaro, the car came with a new (!!!) radiator in it, I gutted the t-stat, opened up the grill,  put the electric fan on a toggle switch, and flushed the living daylights out of the cooling system in order to keep the car from over heatings.  Murilee (and other people) put the fear of overheating into my mind so I took precaitions.  We ran the car at a track day, and it seems to do just fine, actually only needed to turn the fan on now and then.  so hopefully we won't be yet another Camaro statistic!  If it does get hot...well the nose is gonna get aquainted with my sawzalll!!

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

34 (edited by RobL 2009-09-22 05:26 PM)

Like I told Jay, passing a car that I helped get back on track brings a smile to my face and that's it own reward.  (because I know that if I hit it in that spot just right, the weld will break and he'll lose a tire and roll)

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

Rob,
  We're rollin out of NJ with a (possibly) empty car trailer and a Tahoe on either thursday night or friday morning so if you need some extras hauled out let us know.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

not bringing the wartburg to this one?

stop by and say hi.  always good to meet other GRM'ers, esp NJ peeps.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

He's picking up the wartburg. 

Thanks Jim, I'll keep you in mind if things are getting tight.

38 (edited by Buzz Killington 2009-09-22 05:41 PM)

d'oh.  that's right.

Bryan KF8G wrote:

Make sure not to run a number like 88 that reads the same upside down as right side up.

...but that's exactly why we chose 88 for our corolla at CMP that had rolled at the previous CMP race.  smile  even painted the number on the gas tank just in case.

12+-time loser

Buzz Killington wrote:

not bringing the wartburg to this one?

stop by and say hi.  always good to meet other GRM'ers, esp NJ peeps.

Dang, even if we had the car how fast do you think I can build?  Im sloooow.  We've got 9 months till event 1 (BABE) and its gonna be a push to be ready by then.

I have been collecting parts, many good/free deals thankfully.

I will definitely keep an eye out for you guys.  As I understand it one or more of you run/ran at Philly autocrosses so we may have met in the past, I used to run a formula vee and even had the Yugo out to a philly event or 2 before I did the widebody on it.

OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."

i was kidding about the WB.

pretty much all of us are philly autoXers.  i think i remember that yugo.

12+-time loser

Buzz Killington wrote:

i was kidding about the WB.

pretty much all of us are philly autoXers.  i think i remember that yugo.

It would have been dark blue and absolutely pathetic handling when you saw it at Boeing.  I took it out there the first season I had it because I was changing things every week and went to any autocross I could find to test and tune more.  It took widening it and jamming 205s under it to finally get it to handle though.

The Happy Track Fan wrote:

Hey Magnum:

We will try to stop by Saturday morning before the race to say hi.

We are leaving from St. Kitts nice and early Saturday morning, hitting the duty free, and getting the Nelson in good time.

Good luck and kick ass at the Lamest Day!

Awesome.. look forward to seeing you there... shoot me an email...

Joe

Team Magnum PI ness  #357  -

106th place at Nelson Ledges - The Lamest Days
-oil pressure failure leading to engine failure

We didn't have much to get done since CMP was our test session and it went pretty well...but our brakes are currently in shipping limbo between my shop and where the car is currently stored.  It's gonna suck if they lost $700 worth of brake equipment.

Mod Squad Racing
http://twosrus.com

Started painting last night, oil pan is being banged out/filled with weld today.  Still have to add a harness bar to our cage, put our suspension back on the car, and get some tires.

Well, we're in pretty good shape.  We got the cage back out of the car so we can install it properly, the motor needs to be changed Saturday, and we still have a ton of little things to do.  Everything's coming along jusssssssst fine.  LOL 

Rob-we'll let you know if we need your help, but the car is going to Mr. Hughes' house Saturday for assistance.  My son is getting married in Colorado so I won't even be there!  I explained to him how inconvenient the timing of his wedding was, and asked could he change the date, and, well, he just doesn't understand...his priorities are all out of whack.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Mechanically and electrically we are done as of Monday night, the guys that are on the theme still need to do thier thing, but my responsiblities are done...time to get drunk

Formerly an asshole driving an Infinity
Now just another cock with a Porsche
Chief bad decision maker of Team Lowbrau

We got a check engine light last night! Now it's a REAL Volkswagen! Of course, it still hasn't run....

Captainess: #88 Scirocket Racing - Did someone say Pikachu?

Cage is going in this weekend.  On the search for tires...keeep finding future Lemons.  Must reeesssist

the quick fix  for  those  check engine light is  to cut  a piece of black  electrical tape just right to cover it  i have actually done that to get cars to pass inspection in  nj any light  warning light fails the car  we like to try and light them  all  on  our  car like pinball

50 (edited by dculberson 2009-09-25 12:09 PM)

Thought we were in good shape, cage is in and second door bar added, replaced head gasket and finished exhaust, got new tires and put them on, then POW!  Head warped.  Block deck has some damage.  I'm waiting on a junk yard motor now.  Six days and I don't have the theme on at all.  I was planning on doing that this weekend.

Hopefully we don't end up without a car.  I figure worst case we'll head to the race and beg and plead laps in other people's cars; the fees are paid so there's no backing out now!

But I have faith.  After all, junkyard motors are perfectly reliable, right!?

Edit: oh, we will at least have team T-shirts.  That's worth something, right?

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.