Re: Lamest Day coming up quick - who's still building?

decafe wrote:

the quick fix  for  those  check engine light is  to cut  a piece of black  electrical tape just right to cover it  i have actually done that to get cars to pass inspection in  nj any light  warning light fails the car  we like to try and light them  all  on  our  car like pinball

You must not have ever owned an OBD VW. The Check Engine light is a badge of honor!

Well, that and the engine computer is not getting power if it doesn't light up. ha!

Captainess: #88 Scirocket Racing - Did someone say Pikachu?

decafe wrote:

the quick fix  for  those  check engine light is  to cut  a piece of black  electrical tape just right to cover it  i have actually done that to get cars to pass inspection in  nj any light  warning light fails the car  we like to try and light them  all  on  our  car like pinball

I would think a CEL at Lemons would be a "bonus" in tech, not a method in which you might fail.

Am i wrong here?

-Chip

Free Candy Racing
www.freecandyracing.com

The only lights that matter in Lemons are the Oil and Temp any other lights are just for decoration and for looking pretty! Engine lights are there just to let you know you have an engine in your car.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

CEL - would that be the little light on the dash that glowed for 24 hours in Toledo last year and still glows today?

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

Yep, that's the one.  Standard issue from Wolfsburg.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

NDGeist wrote:

I think most/all teams have to still be going "oh shit"...

Our car *should* have it's cage done in the next couple days.

I'm glad we aren't the only one! The fact that we will have a cage at all is a miracle of Biblical proportions.

Nelson Ledges 10/09, Gingerman 4/10, Gingerman 10/10 (4th place!)

We're dealing with a small engine miss right now. Probably a bad plug (well, we hope it is), otherwise we are close. Need to reassemble the dash, do some paintwork, and make sure that the seat is tight.

Nelson Ledges 10/09, Gingerman 4/10, Gingerman 10/10 (4th place!)

dculberson wrote:

Thought we were in good shape, cage is in and second door bar added, replaced head gasket and finished exhaust, got new tires and put them on, then POW!  Head warped.  Block deck has some damage.  I'm waiting on a junk yard motor now.  Six days and I don't have the theme on at all.  I was planning on doing that this weekend.

Hopefully we don't end up without a car.  I figure worst case we'll head to the race and beg and plead laps in other people's cars; the fees are paid so there's no backing out now!

But I have faith.  After all, junkyard motors are perfectly reliable, right!?

Edit: oh, we will at least have team T-shirts.  That's worth something, right?

just double up on head gaskets and give the head bolts a little extra love.  you'll be fine.  probably.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

We had a small mishap the other night, one of my buddies was helping wire the car and was drilling through the firewall and accidently drilled into the brake booster.   

I went to change the thermostat and now its leaking...

Many more things still to be repaired...oh well, still time left!

Team Magnum PI ness  #357  -

106th place at Nelson Ledges - The Lamest Days
-oil pressure failure leading to engine failure

Magnum,

I can top that. Last year at Toledo, 90 minutes before the start of the race one of our drivers drilled a hole through the GAS TANK!!!

We still love him ,..... but we no longer let him near the car with power tools.

Spud

MagnumPI wrote:

We had a small mishap the other night, one of my buddies was helping wire the car and was drilling through the firewall and accidently drilled into the brake booster.   

I went to change the thermostat and now its leaking...

Many more things still to be repaired...oh well, still time left!

That's why I keep telling the guy who currently has the car - if it works, leave it be!  If it's questionable but works, leave it be!  This close to the race, we're only doing what HAS to be done (brakes).

Mod Squad Racing
http://twosrus.com

Good advice, David.  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Well, we are in a *little* better shape after today.  The car runs and moves in the driveway under its own power.  We have the aux lights mounted and we actually got the windshield wipers torn apart and working.  For those who don't know, Datsun Z cars have the WORST wiper system ever.  Even at their best, they barely work.  Our Lemons car wipers are working as well now as any Z I've owned.  We also got the carbs tuned.

When we started and moved it, we did have a few setbacks.  It appears that the brake booster is not working and then the diff mount is torn, so the car clunks badly when the clutch is let out.  We "fixed" the diff mount with a few large band clamps.  As for the booster, we have an unknown condition spare that we will try tomorrow.

We still have to align the car, do a ton of wiring, including the kill switch, lights, aux tilghts, wipers, fan, transponder, all the gauges, etc.  We also have to paint the car, make some sort of brake ducts, install the good brake linings, and mount/install the new tires.

We feel better, but there are still many unknowns.  It has moved at 1 mph and traveled 25 feet under its own power after sitting for the last 15 years.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Well lets see...

We just got the car back from the cage shop a few days ago, there's been zero work done on the theme, half our brakes haven't arrived yet and the other half haven't been bought, we only have two of our 4 wheels/tires ready to go, and none of us live within 5 hours of each other.

This next week is going to be mighty interesting...

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

PunisherBass wrote:

Well lets see...

, we only have two of our 4 wheels/tires ready to go, .

Uh sorry to break the news but 4 wheels / tires will not get you through 12 hours yet alone 24 hours.

Spud

Spud wrote:
PunisherBass wrote:

Well lets see...

, we only have two of our 4 wheels/tires ready to go, .

Uh sorry to break the news but 4 wheels / tires will not get you through 12 hours yet alone 24 hours.

Spud

Some teams get through a whole race on one set of tires- seen it happen plenty of times. That's not the way to bet, though.

We have 1 set of race tires (just not together at the moment), another set on the way, and then a backup set of normal street tires. This will be the team's third full 24 hour Lemons race and 5th Lemons overall, we know what to expect.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

68 (edited by dculberson 2009-09-26 11:41 PM)

So, have you ever had just a few days left before a race when you discover major damage to your engine?  So, with very few of those days available to work on it, you source a replacement engine?  Then, the junk yard dicks around and takes 24 of your productive hours to get the engine pulled and ready for you to pick up?  Then, you like spend an entire day swapping accessories, manual->auto mounts, hacks, wiring, connectors, hoses over, then spend hours lining the flywheel and torque converter up, then mount everything, then finally get it hooked up, then realize the engine is seized?  Realize that you wasted pretty much all the time you had left to get the car operational?

No?  Because yeah, that's what I just did!  Isn't that awesome?

A wise man might think, this is a junkyard engine, I should check it over before installing it.  A wise man might think, I should at least try to turn it over using the crank bolt before wasting a entire f'ing day swapping it into my car that I need to be ready, today.  A wise man would almost certainly not be running the 24 hours of Lemons.

Well, if I skip a funeral then I can try swapping our (mostly) good block back in and putting the (presumably) good head and cam towers on to that block.  If I don't, then I'm pretty well screwed.  I could just quit my job.  Who likes going to work anyway??

[crazy face] hee heeee!  hee heeeeee!  This is so much fun!

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

dculberson wrote:

So, have you ever had just a few days left before a race when you discover major damage to your engine?  So, with very few of those days available to work on it, you source a replacement engine?  Then, the junk yard dicks around and takes 24 of your productive hours to get the engine pulled and ready for you to pick up?  Then, you like spend an entire day swapping accessories, manual->auto mounts, hacks, wiring, connectors, hoses over, then spend hours lining the flywheel and torque converter up, then mount everything, then finally get it hooked up, then realize the engine is seized?  Realize that you wasted pretty much all the time you had left to get the car operational?

No?  Because yeah, that's what I just did!  Isn't that awesome?

A wise man might think, this is a junkyard engine, I should check it over before installing it.  A wise man might think, I should at least try to turn it over using the crank bolt before wasting a entire f'ing day swapping it into my car that I need to be ready, today.  A wise man would almost certainly not be running the 24 hours of Lemons.

Well, if I skip a funeral then I can try swapping our (mostly) good block back in and putting the (presumably) good head and cam towers on to that block.  If I don't, then I'm pretty well screwed.  I could just quit my job.  Who likes going to work anyway??

[crazy face] hee heeee!  hee heeeeee!  This is so much fun!

Hey, a lot of teams do all that stuff while the race is going on! You've got it easy!

Oh, but one of our team members had a vintage 1989 set of KC High Lites to put in where the factory headlight wouldn't fit, and so if*it*ran, we have a full on rally pig front end with one sealed beam and one KC, it's beautiful.  We even have the smiley cover for it and another team mate's been working on the theme.

Is it too late to find a surplus Power Wheel and do a motor swap??

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

If you're car's not together, bring it and all of the parts to the race.  You've already paid to run, so get the car to where there will be about 500 other crazy car guys who can help you get it running and see if you can't get it buttoned up in time for the checke....er, green flag.

Mod Squad Racing
http://twosrus.com

72 (edited by MagnumPI 2009-09-27 09:18 AM)

I have been busting my ass on this car for weeks, seeing as the other half of the team lives in North Carolina, the 12 hour span is a little much to do on a weekly basis.   As mentioned above - We had an incident the other night while wiring, we drilled into the brake booster. (duh!) It was dark and nobody was watching.
So we swapped the brake booster, and then we attempted to bleed the brakes, after swapping out a siezed caliper for a really well rusted spare.  The bleeders were all blocked up.  We then found the master to be bad, as only half of it was working, (only front brakes)   So after swapping that, we finally got the brake system bled.   

We still are waiting for our brake parts, but everything is in good shape to just throw some pads on and go.  Hopefully they are here monday, I am aiming to have the car on the trailer wednesday night if possible.

Still no tires, they are somewhere,

Thermostat housing is leaking, so far no luck fixing it.  Argh!  I then broke a bolt off in the housing, had to remove the rad again and all the shroud, what a pain in the butt.

We also just lost our tow vehicle.  It was up for leasetakeover and someone snagged it.  So scrambling around now we have a 3500 GMC extended van that we will be towing our double car trailer with, should be interesting hahah -if it tows it.

Still have wiring to do, kill switch install, sort out some more loose wiring. 
Alignment is out, something rubbing in front end..

Need to change fluids, oil,rear end,tranny.

Hoping the rear section of our cage passes tech.. had a small issue with it.  Emailed Nick, so we will find out.

I have not even began to think about sleeping arrangements, and or food or spare parts or even tools.  Got a generator, compressor, lights etc, cherry picker.

All and all its been a tough go getting things prepped and still spending time with my wife and our 3 young children, and not getting divorced.  My wife has been very understanding, and thank god! 

Anywho - cannot wait until the race, I am sure it will all pan out.  It looks like other are dealing with much more significant issues then what we have, I wish you all best of luck and hope to meet everyone at the races and share a beer after the checkered flag has flown.

Cheers,

Joe

Team Magnum PI ness  #357  -

106th place at Nelson Ledges - The Lamest Days
-oil pressure failure leading to engine failure

Our motor seized two weeks before the February race during testing.  Really makes your butt pucker.

I was hoping/thinking it was a transmission problem.  Pulled the tranny and turns out it was the motor.

Tore the motor apart and we had 1 seized rod bearing.  Pulled parts out of a free motor I picked up, a few gaskets and 1 bearing and we were up and running for less than $60.

Regarding junk yard motors, try and check them out as much as you can.  My driver has a $100 junk yard motor in it.  I bought a gasket set, opened it up and resealed the motor other than the head gaskets.  It was cheap insurance.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Our car ran for the first time last night. Woohoo!!

Of course, there is a fuel line to be dealt with, and I have no idea where our other tyres are.

Captainess: #88 Scirocket Racing - Did someone say Pikachu?

Got the paint on today.  Numbers and other flair go on tomorrow.
Hopefully our oil pan doesn't leak anymore (after hammering it straight and fill welding the dents to close any cracks...... still have to deal with the broken off pan bolt.....  Maybe we'll put the axles and hubs back on too before loading onto the trailer wednesday night :-) .