Topic: Inexpensive cage constructor near Cinci Ohio?

I need a cage in the Lex, and decided I don't want to build it myself. Anybody know of any resources? I'd prefer to not have to drive a long way, and needs to be economical.... Roundy round guys are usually a good bet, but don't know any.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Re: Inexpensive cage constructor near Cinci Ohio?

hey Spinetti, there's a guy up here in Toledo that could get it done quick. I know that's a drive for you but if you're not renting a tow vehicle, you could come up then come across OH-2 or the turnpike for the event. currently he's building my cage and i really don't have any gripes with the work. He's actually interested in trying to become a "regional builder" for us Lemon folks.

Serj wrote:

hey Spinetti, there's a guy up here in Toledo that could get it done quick. I know that's a drive for you but if you're not renting a tow vehicle, you could come up then come across OH-2 or the turnpike for the event. currently he's building my cage and i really don't have any gripes with the work. He's actually interested in trying to become a "regional builder" for us Lemon folks.

What's his info? that is a haul for me, but might be ok (I'm actually in Kentucky). My buddy just had his cage done there (he lives there) for his neon.. maybe same guy. I was hoping for a bit closer, but will take what I can get.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Andy Stanford built ours, and we had a professional welder do the welding.  It's actually complete now (not just the harness bar smile  )

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs209.snc1/7618_670709525785_21401848_38565283_674455_n.jpg

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs229.snc1/7618_670709550735_21401848_38565286_1851936_n.jpg

I can get you in touch with him if you'd like

5 (edited by Serj 2009-09-22 11:36 PM)

Spinnetti; very well could be!

http://thumb.phyrefile.com/s/se/serajadeyn/2009/09/21/IMG00081-20090921-1714.jpg
http://thumb.phyrefile.com/s/se/serajadeyn/2009/09/21/IMG00082-20090921-1716.jpg
http://thumb.phyrefile.com/s/se/serajadeyn/2009/09/21/IMG00083-20090921-1717.jpg
http://thumb.phyrefile.com/s/se/serajadeyn/2009/09/21/IMG00085-20090921-1719.jpg
http://thumb.phyrefile.com/s/se/serajadeyn/2009/09/21/IMG00086-20090921-1729.jpg
http://thumb.phyrefile.com/s/se/serajadeyn/2009/09/21/IMG00087-20090921-1730.jpg
http://thumb.phyrefile.com/s/se/serajadeyn/2009/09/21/IMG00088-20090921-1731.jpg

Ron Miller Racecars
(734)856-7223
http://www.provenchassis.com/

Just tell him Chris with the Lemons Buick pointed him out to you, I'm sure he'll still have the rules print-outs in hand for the cage.

Serj wrote:

Spinnetti; very well could be!

Ron Miller Racecars
(734)856-7223
http://www.provenchassis.com/

Just tell him Chris with the Lemons Buick pointed him out to you, I'm sure he'll still have the rules print-outs in hand for the cage.

lol.. that's the guy...
Thanks..

trippinbillies40 wrote:

Andy Stanford built ours, and we had a professional welder do the welding.  It's actually complete now (not just the harness bar smile  )

I can get you in touch with him if you'd like

Key points are Where, How much and Who....

Thanks..

Andy Stanford, his place in Sayler Park (5 minutes west of Anderson ferry on 50), and I'll have him chime in here for pricing.

I am Andy Stanford, but the "economical" part probably leaves me out... lol..

I wouldn't redo our cage for less than 2K... but could probably do a basic cage to pass tech for $1200-1500...   so........ like I said, economical probably leaves me out...

Also, are you talking about a cage for next weekends race? I certainly wouldn't have time to build a cage before then.. too much other stuff going on.

Owner: Stanford Motorsports (sounds better than it is!)
Lamest Day entry:  Team EAU RUDE  silver/red NON-CHEATING Sentra SE-R #40  (Crew Chief, Large Fat Bald Guy with white Mutton Chop sideburns)
Other nonsense:  Solo Director, Cincy SCCA, Board of Directors, Cincy SCCA

SMSRACING wrote:

I am Andy Stanford, but the "economical" part probably leaves me out... lol..

I wouldn't redo our cage for less than 2K... but could probably do a basic cage to pass tech for $1200-1500...   so........ like I said, economical probably leaves me out...

Also, are you talking about a cage for next weekends race? I certainly wouldn't have time to build a cage before then.. too much other stuff going on.

Thanks for the info Andy.... No, not for this next race.... 2k seems to be the going rate for a full out race cage, but that is outside my budget for this... I can do it (used to weld professionally and have a nice miller Tig too), but didn't really want to. Question is, do I tow for 3 hrs to get it done cheap or just do myself. Hmm. was hoping for somebody nearby.

Eh... do it yourself, under $300 in materials (maybe a bit more counting filler rod and gas) and a tube bender  and yer all set!!!  Got a tube bender??

Lamest Day entry:  Team EAU RUDE  silver/red NON-CHEATING Sentra SE-R #40  (Crew Chief, Large Fat Bald Guy with white Mutton Chop sideburns)

I live in NKY, we're finishing prep on our car for Lamest Day next week.

Have bender, notcher, tig, etc. Don't know that I would want to, or am capable for charging for a built cage. However I'm willing to help.

When are you wanting a cage?

You can see some of the (unclean) pics of our E30 @ http://www.kumkrautracing.com

simpsonian wrote:

I live in NKY, we're finishing prep on our car for Lamest Day next week.

Have bender, notcher, tig, etc. Don't know that I would want to, or am capable for charging for a built cage. However I'm willing to help.

When are you wanting a cage?

You can see some of the (unclean) pics of our E30 @ http://www.kumkrautracing.com

Hmm.. that might be something... I am ready anytime basically. I have the car prepped and ready for cage, and then the last bits are to put fresh tires & brakepads on and go race it. I know steel is availabe right there in Hebron. If you have experience in it, I'm cool to pay for the help at your place or mine (I'm down in Verona)... here's my car build:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= … amp;ref=mf

SMSRACING wrote:

Eh... do it yourself, under $300 in materials (maybe a bit more counting filler rod and gas) and a tube bender  and yer all set!!!  Got a tube bender??

I've seen your fiesta... I ran your last auto x at turfway (White Corolla GT-S)

nope, I don't have a bender or notcher, was thinking about it.. trying to decide if I want to get into building cages or not...

probably wanna get things moving along man, I'm already sweating bullets on a number of things(place i ordered brakes from didn't tell me they drop-ship the pads from the manufacturer)

Serj wrote:

probably wanna get things moving along man, I'm already sweating bullets on a number of things(place i ordered brakes from didn't tell me they drop-ship the pads from the manufacturer)

I do project management for a living, and rarely am sweating deadlines... my style is to plan well, and be done early. It doesn't hurt that I've been building/modding cars for 25 yrs wink I have all the time in the world to finish since I won't even run it this year except maybe hitting an auto-x. Meantime, I'll be at Nelsons with the Toyota team in our more than battered Celica which hopefully will hang together one more time.

Spinnetti wrote:
Serj wrote:

I do project management for a living, and rarely am sweating deadlines... my style is to plan well, and be done early. It doesn't hurt that I've been building/modding cars for 25 yrs wink I have all the time in the world to finish since I won't even run it this year except maybe hitting an auto-x. Meantime, I'll be at Nelsons with the Toyota team in our more than battered Celica which hopefully will hang together one more time.

Besides walking on water, what do you do for fun?

you're not running the Lexus this time?

Spinnetti wrote:

I do project management for a living, and rarely am sweating deadlines... my style is to plan well, and be done early.

Unlimited budget and time you say? You must PM for the gubberment. smile

Seriously, if this car is for a future race. I have the toolset/some skill & resources. I'm willing to help, and would love to have a drivers slot on a secondary team for a future race.

(We're shooting for the Lemons wannabe race @ Putnum in March)

20 (edited by Spinnetti 2009-10-06 03:49 AM)

simpsonian wrote:
Spinnetti wrote:

I do project management for a living, and rarely am sweating deadlines... my style is to plan well, and be done early.

Unlimited budget and time you say? You must PM for the gubberment. smile

Seriously, if this car is for a future race. I have the toolset/some skill & resources. I'm willing to help, and would love to have a drivers slot on a secondary team for a future race.

(We're shooting for the Lemons wannabe race @ Putnum in March)

We might be able to work some'thin. Like I said, I'm also cool to pay for the help and learning experience (also since I don't have a bender, notcher or plate shear).... I guess my druthers would be to do it before winter hits, but I guess could wait until next spring too.

Serj, I'm not building for Nelsons as I already am in an 89 Celica (same one we've run CMP 3 times and Toledo). Don't get me wrong guys..... The Lex is a TRUE Lemons car, and I am accounting for every penny. Even without selling a thing, I am within the $500 cap, and there's stuff to sell of this, like airbags, cats, etc. There is no sneakiness involved! Anybody is welcome to come inspect. So far I got the car, 4 junkyard shocks, an accessory belt, ebay coilovers and some oil/filter. Its just that this ain't my first rodeo (started racing in 1987), and in addition to being a project mgr, I've also worked professionally as an welder, fabricator, machinist and engineer.. All handy stuff when building race cars, not to mention the lathe, CNC mill, and Miller Syncro tig in the garage wink Cage building is the only race related thing I haven't done, so I'm just dipping a toe into it, and if I can't hire somebody cheap, I'd love to work with somebody on the tips and tricks to see if I want to add that skill to the "tool belt"..

"King Arthur": I sure don't walk on water - I'd be happy if we could get through an event without something getting bent or broken.

Thanks for the suggestions, tips and offers so far!

You get it done Anthony?   By the way, the Festiva cage DOES NOT COUNT.. that was a HORRIBLE job... lol... gotta start somewhere... the cage in the Sentra DOES COUNT.. .much better effort...

I too would offer up bender and notcher and CNC Plasma cutter if you want to bring the TIG, we could work something out.... as long as I have time... we are planning on three cars for next years Lemons races...

Just checking to see if you found what you needed...  sorry I didn't have a lot of time to bullshit at Nelson...

SMSRACING wrote:

You get it done Anthony?   By the way, the Festiva cage DOES NOT COUNT.. that was a HORRIBLE job... lol... gotta start somewhere... the cage in the Sentra DOES COUNT.. .much better effort...

I too would offer up bender and notcher and CNC Plasma cutter if you want to bring the TIG, we could work something out.... as long as I have time... we are planning on three cars for next years Lemons races...

Just checking to see if you found what you needed...  sorry I didn't have a lot of time to bullshit at Nelson...

Anthony is another one of our crew. I'm David... I had the white ITA car at your last Turfway auto-x (did timing and scoring on work assignment).... Naw, we didn't get it done. We broke in the last couple hours putting us out of the money. We got rear ended at least twice hard, and the trans broke - I think the ring gear or pinion stripped right out as we have no gears sad Thanks for the offer on cage help. I'm still figuring out what to do with that.

Andy, Anthony is Z3SPDDMN on here.  Dave, we were paddocked right next to you. Andy was the big guy in the red/black Stanford Motorsports shirt.

trippinbillies40 wrote:

Andy, Anthony is Z3SPDDMN on here.  Dave, we were paddocked right next to you. Andy was the big guy in the red/black Stanford Motorsports shirt.

Yep... we were all pretty busy! But for the last minute break, we've been finishing higher every time... One of these days.....

Dave.

Spinnetti wrote:
SMSRACING wrote:

Anthony is another one of our crew. I'm David... I had the white ITA car at your last Turfway auto-x (did timing and scoring on work assignment).... Naw, we didn't get it done. We broke in the last couple hours putting us out of the money. We got rear ended at least twice hard, and the trans broke - I think the ring gear or pinion stripped right out as we have no gears sad Thanks for the offer on cage help. I'm still figuring out what to do with that.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH....... my bad.

I figured with a name like SPINETTI...... Magagnoli...........  get it??

Offer is still open, even though you aren't Anthony...  I was wondering why you didn't remember me from the Kings Island meetings... lol