Re: 24 Hours of ECR--is it too soon to talk about it?

How do you rotate 4 drivers to get some rest at night on a 24 hour race.  I figure a driver can rest during two consecutive stints.

1 - drive, 2 - spot, 3 - rest, 4 - rest, 5 - drive, etc
or
1 - spot, 2 - drive, 3 rest, 4 - rest, 5 - spot, etc.

The question is do you rest after a drive or after a spot?  Or is there another rotation where two driver rotate two sessions apiece before the other two get involved?

Organizer's Choice Award 2011 Heaps in Heart of Texas
IOE 2012 North Dallas Hooptie
2014 ECR Class C WIN;  2015 MSR Class B WIN
Speedy Monzales

I've been in two other 24 hour races with just four drivers,......

we never got to run all of the hours:

TMS - after we blew the second tranny, no one had the energy to continue working on the car.  We had done the radiator earlier in the day, a couple other minor fixes, then the first tranny fix.  By the time the seconde tranny went (around 5:00 AM) everyone was toasted (and we had another spare tranny to try - though just a junk yard find).

NPR - the fog delay ended up stoping the race for about 6 hours,..... so we got that sleep ( we won't mention that I was ready to start my 2am-4am stint and I had just hopped up with energy drinks and caffine,...... somehow I still slept)

We find that the solution is that you should have some auxilliary help.  a 7 hour enduro is easy with just 4 drivers and no other team members,.... a 24 hour is tough.

rcazwillis wrote:

How do you rotate 4 drivers to get some rest at night on a 24 hour race.  I figure a driver can rest during two consecutive stints.

1 - drive, 2 - spot, 3 - rest, 4 - rest, 5 - drive, etc
or
1 - spot, 2 - drive, 3 rest, 4 - rest, 5 - spot, etc.

The question is do you rest after a drive or after a spot?  Or is there another rotation where two driver rotate two sessions apiece before the other two get involved?

The answer is that you don't get much rest. Catnaps as possible. That's one of the things that makes a 24 a unique test of endurance.

Do you think that Alan McNish gets much rest during LeMans? Are you going to let some wee Scottish pipsqueak get one over on you? I hope not.

smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

i was about to ask....rest?

i'm resting saturday morning, and sunday evening.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

I know I am not getting rest.  Heck, I did not rest at the last ECR race.  However, for the sake of something to discuss there has to be a workable plan out there.

I fully expect to be working on something on a regular basis.  I have one race under my belt and I know everything there is to know about Lemons racing...except how to get rest on a 24 hour race...and how to make a monza with a 7' sombrero go around a corner.

Organizer's Choice Award 2011 Heaps in Heart of Texas
IOE 2012 North Dallas Hooptie
2014 ECR Class C WIN;  2015 MSR Class B WIN
Speedy Monzales

Overnight, there is a driver in the car and a spare driver suited up, w/ a radio in his hands, waiting to go in the car.  When the car comes in, the 2 drivers fuel the car, new driver goes on course, tired driver wakes up next driver and hands him the radio.  If we run 2+hr stints, drivers get to rest for 3-4hrs at a time.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

we may have a few seat open in the Benz Mafia, there is even the option of a third if I get enough interest.

the Syndicate - 30 losses and counting ...
89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

Jackasic wrote:

we may have a few seat open in the Benz Mafia, there is even the option of a third if I get enough interest.

Is the 560 SEL going to be there?  I can't wait to see how our Thunderbird fairs now that you don't have a 7 light-year long straight away to run from us on...

2011: Gator-o-Rama, North Dallas Hooptie, Garrapatas Peligrosas GP
2012: Yee-Haw it's Lemons Texas!, North Dallas Hooptie
2013: North Dallas Hooptie

yep, fixed and rear geared from the last race.  We had a cam go flat and were running on 7 or less cylinders.  Found some 3.27 gear for the rear to replace the factor 2.56, should get out of turns better.  the 67 is looking for it's first class C win, guess we'll see what happens.

89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

I'm starting get the feeling this is leading to some sort of majorly kick ass weekend.

Justice...with a smile.

Judge Scott wrote:

I'm starting get the feeling this is leading to some sort of majorly kick ass weekend.

You'll be hard pressed to try to stay awake.

And with the number of newbs we have on our team, I might just set up camp next to you in the box!

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

We are all going to die.

Yes we are, but I can't think of a better way to go smile

Putting the "dirty" in Dirty Little Freaks Racing
~stalk us on facebook

Anyone else out there not even close to ready?  I have 3 weekends left and the transmission is still sitting on a table in pieces...

Well I have the heads off the 560, that counts right? Haven't even taken the 67 out of the trailer yet.

Sledge wrote:

Anyone else out there not even close to ready?  I have 3 weekends left and the transmission is still sitting on a table in pieces...

come on over to me shop, youll Feel a a Lot Better About Just Having a Trans Apart.

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

142 (edited by Sledge 2012-04-29 08:01 AM)

Baron wrote:
Sledge wrote:

come on over to me shop, youll Feel a a Lot Better About Just Having a Trans Apart.

Yea, but I've never done this before.  To me, that transmission looks like the nuclear weapon from Goldfinger.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-cYKCg5tCEIQ/Tf-P_waklJI/AAAAAAAABQQ/dt_a88HwOaw/s1600/goldfinger+atomic+bomb.jpg

At least 4R70W's are cheap and plentiful, might want to bring a spare...

I have a core if you need it.

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

It should be an automatic win for the Cordia.  That is, when the transmission falls out and takes out all the leaders.

I'm bring my family - all rookie drivers.  My nephew returning from overseas and all his buddies. 

Here's your race car, welcome home...  try not to die.

This space for rent.

I had to withdraw, couldn't figure out how to get the simca down there on my budget... sad

even with arrive and drives, I just couldn't afford it sad

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

come drive one of our fine steeds.

NSF wrote:

It should be an automatic win for the Cordia.  That is, when the transmission falls out and takes out all the leaders.

I'm bring my family - all rookie drivers.  My nephew returning from overseas and all his buddies. 

I love watching NSF try to race.  Doubly fun with Bob tossing family on track at night, in a Cordia...

Apparently my name is really "Craigers".  Who knew?
We might be yellow, but at least we are slow
I'm a WINNER!

solman244 wrote:
NSF wrote:

I love watching NSF try to race.  Doubly fun with Bob tossing family on track at night, in a Cordia...

Bob is managing this race from afar.  He'll be sipping scotch and watching the ballgame(s) all weekend in Cocoa.  It's an experiment... does he even have to get dressed in the morning to manage a world class race team.  Someone should call his couch during the awards ceremony so he knows how it all went down.

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

The Beetle has some logistical towing issues, and the engine(s) are in kit form, but the plan is still on track.

tSoG wrote:

I had to withdraw, couldn't figure out how to get the simca down there on my budget... sad

even with arrive and drives, I just couldn't afford it sad

I've Got a Couple Sees Open Also.

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs