Topic: Massive cage problem in Indiana

Anyone know someone who could get a cage done for me by Lamest day?  My cage bnuilder just fell trhough, and I am screwed.  Thanks.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

Re: Massive cage problem in Indiana

Dave,

Is the car pretty much done otherwise?  I could probably do it, but it would obviously be no small feat & I'm 5-6 hours away in the Detroit area.  I gotta believe there is someone in Indy that could do it, but I don't know the shops in that area....

Eric

I'll ask if our cage guy can do it, but he has a day job and time is short.  He's in Speedway.

Where are you?  Do you have the steel already?

Can you buy a kit that's similar and modify it? A Mini-stock age kit might save lots of time....

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Steel "should" be here, and I am working all of my angles at this point. We are in Bloomington.   Mini-stock kit?  I don't really know what that it, I just know that I need to figure this out, because dammit, we are going to get there!

Bloomington, IN
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

I checked with our guy.  No way he can get it done at this point, sorry.   sad

davisriley wrote:

Steel "should" be here, and I am working all of my angles at this point. We are in Bloomington.   Mini-stock kit?  I don't really know what that it, I just know that I need to figure this out, because dammit, we are going to get there!

Cage kits are available for Japanese cars from the stock car cage builders....if you know the measurements, maybe you could buy a basic kit, i.e. hoop, halo and door bars and take it from there. Big time saver....as is a plasma cutter...if you can rent/borrow one the job goes a lot faster. I'd be in except for the distance.

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Worst case, bring a bunch of steel and a bender to NL.  We'll have welders there and you can probably find people who would relish the challenge of making you a tech legal cage in less than a day!

Mod Squad Racing
http://twosrus.com

David Hawkins wrote:

Worst case, bring a bunch of steel and a bender to NL.  We'll have welders there and you can probably find people who would relish the challenge of making you a tech legal cage in less than a day!

There is your heroic fix.

http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/
http://www.teamdfl.com
"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."
Prepping the Red wReck for the 24 Hours of Lemons

If you bring a bender, it needs to be a proper bender or you won't pass tech. 

My cheap Harbor Freight bender will not make a proper 90 degree bend in tubing.  Small bends it's okay, but it will easily kink the pipe.

You might want to try Kirk Racing or Autopower.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

TeamDFL wrote:
David Hawkins wrote:

There is your heroic fix.

sounds like start of a new trophy    " most heroic prep effort "  !!!!

spectator "Lamest Day 09",DNF "American Irony" 2010,DNS "Capitol Offense"2010,DNF "Gingervitis"2011,DNF"ShowroomShlock"2011 maybe someday....                                                                                     
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"luckily I didnt go into the mountain,.......I went over the cliff. I was doin 300 MPH sideways and 100 ft. down at the same time............"

Pretty sure we're bringing a bender...

Please see my other post: http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … 509#p12509

I can bring a legal bender with 1.5" dies to NL along with a notcher, cut saw, and a drill press.  I'll be there first thing on Friday. 

It can be done in a day with the equipment that I'm bringing (plus one other 120v welder) if there are enough people helping who know what they are doing.  So if all else fails  - bring the car - we will get you on track.  Generically - I'm going to need about 80' of 1.5"x0.120" DOM tubing in good condition (minimal rust, no bends, no dirt).   One section needs to be at least 20' long with no cuts in it for the main hoop (two sections of this length would be helpful in case a mistake is made).  I'm also going to need about 3' of 2.5"x3/16" steel bar. 

If you don't get the cage locally and need to bring it to NL, as much as you can do to the car to get it cleaned out and welding areas stripped would be helpful.  Remove as much sound deadening as you can from the inside and outside of the car.  We may have to cut the roof off to expedite cage installation. 

email me at rob_leone at verizon.net

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

I think I read that the Schumacher Taxi guys will be bringing a bender, too.

If you DO end up bringing the car sans cage and trying to build a cage on-site Friday, I would strongly suggest cutting the roof off of the car before you leave home. (weld in some door-opening supports to keep it from collapsing)  A Celica is on the small side, you'll have a much better chance of success by opening it up.

You can weld the roof back on after the cage is complete if you want... but it sure would be easier to get that cage in without it.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Loren wrote:

I think I read that the Schumacher Taxi guys will be bringing a bender, too.

See above post... Rob is Schumacher Taxi smile

Heh.  He types faster than I do.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Loren wrote:

Heh.  He drives faster than I do.

Fixed.

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

That goes without saying, Rob.  smile

We've seen cages built at the track before. The stress level is pretty high, but it can be done.

smile

Anyway - I talked to Dave and things are all set there.  He has a local builder who can take care of it at his end.

I want to put out a huge thank you to all.  Cage has been resolved, and should get it back monday.  Look forward to seeing all of you there.  And a special thanks to rob, you sir are the epitome of everything this series is about, bar none.

Bloomington, IN

It appears that I drive faster than Dave too...  wink

Since that fire is out, are there going to be any electrical wizards at NL?  I have been scratching my head and wearing out the batteries in the multimeter for days now trying to get the correct voltage to my coil.  I can either get 2.5V or 12.5V and it needs 7-8V.  If I run 12V, it will fry coils and other stuff.  2.5V will not run it at all.  It was running great and then started this crap.  I'm guessing bad ground or back feed somewhere, but all of my searches have come up empty.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

RobL wrote:

It appears that I drive faster than Dave too...  wink

I imagine that's a given.  See you all at the track.

Bloomington, IN

Are you sure that your coil needs 7volts?  I've never heard of that before. 

Have you swapped out your cap, rotor, and most importantly points and condensor?  And after you did that, did you reset your dwell angle in the distributer?  Or do you have an ignition module instead of points?  Have you tried swapping that out?

If your burning out coils, that's where I would look.  With the wrong dwell, you are overheating the coil.