Topic: Lamest Day questions and hopefully inteligent answers from the track!!

Please post general questions for the track staff of Nelson Ledges here so I don't have to hunt all the forums or answer a dozen e-mails a day!!! I'm back from Road America for the Runoffs after our hero driver tried to move the concrete wall at turn 13. Scott and I will try to answer questions as they come in.

Bryan Bartzi
Nelson Ledges Roadcourse

Re: Lamest Day questions and hopefully inteligent answers from the track!!

Approximately how much space will each team have for their pit space?  How many cars/trucks do you think will fit?

Can you confirm that there'll be space to camp outside the track on Thursday night?

What kind of harpoon will work best against the mosquitos?

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

An M4 is the best solution I've found for those mosquitos. A lesser gun with a large capacity( like, say, an MP-5) works, but the 9mm rounds just don't have the stopping power of a rifle round. It may take several hits...

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

4 (edited by Bryan KF8G 2009-09-25 05:06 AM)

OK, in a nut shell....Registration will start at 12 noon on Thursday and hopefully be open all night through the weekend!!! Yay!! Fuel will be available at $3.25 a gallon across the bridge and will be sold by Kryder Racing. Cash or cards will be just fine. Anyone bringing fuel in a 40 gallon or more container will be required to put such fuel across the bridge in a designated area for safety reasons. (This was standard Longest Day procedure.) Please when you arrive, let the front gate know if you are bringing a large amount so we can direct you to the proper storage area. Camping will be available from the time of registration through Monday morning if you so desire. There are no hookups available so bring a generator. And we won't have additional food vendors. So either bring your own or use our vendor!!! There will be a few spots in the paddock roped off for workers. Please respect their request for space and find another spot nearby. During the event, if you have need for track personnel,

Bryan Bartzi
Nelson Ledges Roadcourse

5 (edited by Bryan KF8G 2009-09-25 05:12 AM)

bongle wrote:

Approximately how much space will each team have for their pit space?  How many cars/trucks do you think will fit?

Can you confirm that there'll be space to camp outside the track on Thursday night?

What kind of harpoon will work best against the mosquitos?

We had over 200 cars and teams for an event last year so space won't be a problem. Just be kind to your neighbors. Yes there will be space outside the track if you don't want to take a large motorhome into the infield. And a Howitzer would do just fine for the mosquitoes!!! JK, we'll spray for them next week and they won't be a problem. But just in case, bring bug spray for yourself and your crew.

Bryan Bartzi
Nelson Ledges Roadcourse

FYI - the food vendor at Nelson's works from a portable trailer, you know, the kind you see at county fairs. He sells typical burger and dogs and maybe fries or chips, cokes and Gatorade.  The typical racers diet.

That's it for on-site facilities.

I THINK (but am not certain) that a local pizza shop will deliver to the track.

If you leave the track plan on driving 10-15 minutes to civilization to find fast food and local restaurants or a grocery store.

Our team is planning on brining our own 'picnic' or 'camping' food and supplementing that with track burgers when the urge hits.

FYI

Spud  (not officially associated with the track)

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

Spud wrote:

FYI - the food vendor at Nelson's works from a portable trailer, you know, the kind you see at county fairs. He sells typical burger and dogs and maybe fries or chips, cokes and Gatorade.  The typical racers diet.

That's it for on-site facilities.

I THINK (but am not certain) that a local pizza shop will deliver to the track.

If you leave the track plan on driving 10-15 minutes to civilization to find fast food and local restaurants or a grocery store.

Our team is planning on brining our own 'picnic' or 'camping' food and supplementing that with track burgers when the urge hits.

FYI

Spud  (not officially associated with the track)

Yea, anyone wanting menus from the local pizza joints can get them at the front office.

Bryan Bartzi
Nelson Ledges Roadcourse

8 (edited by prime suspect 2009-09-25 07:54 AM)

I recall  reading in another post that campfires are OK as long as they are contained    are there fire rings already on site ?  how about firewood ?   any objections to my bringing my dumptruck up with firewood and selling it.  ? ( at cost plus expenses only)      It will be up there anyway along with my wreckers and trailers for any unwanted cars at the end. Might as well haul something useful TO the track .                            if Bryan is ok with this       any feedback from teams that will want wood and for how many nites would be useful so I know roughly how much to bring           from Bryans e mail to me the other day I got the feeling my help with clearing the carnage off the track wasnt needed ( which i find really hard to believe at this kind of event.........how long are the usual cautions? seems like the more wreckers you have the faster you can clear the track of multiple cars the more racing you can do .......)  so I guess my 2 tow trucks will be available to lift heavy objects ( i.e. motors,equipment,cars,mother inlaws)   for food, drink and tips all weekend

spectator "Lamest Day 09",DNF "American Irony" 2010,DNS "Capitol Offense"2010,DNF "Gingervitis"2011,DNF"ShowroomShlock"2011 maybe someday....                                                                                     
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"luckily I didnt go into the mountain,.......I went over the cliff. I was doin 300 MPH sideways and 100 ft. down at the same time............"

elron wrote:

Are there any internet capabilities at the track for uStream goodness?

No. We have a satellite provider that isn't the greatest. We don't have the bandwidth to cover any live video. Best bet is one of those dingus thingys ya plug into your laptop for internet. But like some cell companies, that may be spotty as well.

Bryan Bartzi
Nelson Ledges Roadcourse

10 (edited by Bryan KF8G 2009-09-25 08:04 AM)

prime suspect wrote:

I recall  reading in another post that campfires are OK as long as they are contained    are there fire rings already on site ?  how about firewood ?   any objections to my bringing my dumptruck up with firewood and selling it.  ? ( at cost plus expenses only)      It will be up there anyway along with my wreckers and trailers for any unwanted cars at the end. Might as well haul something useful TO the track .                            if Bryan is ok with this       any feedback from teams that will want wood and for how many nites would be useful so I know roughly how much to bring           from Bryans e mail to me the other day I got the feeling my help with clearing the carnage off the track wasnt needed ( which i find really hard to believe at this kind of event.........how long are the usual cautions? seems like the more wreckers you have the faster you can clear the track of multiple cars the more racing you can do .......)  so I guess my 2 tow trucks will be available to lift heavy objects ( i.e. motors,equipment,cars,mother inlaws)   for food, drink and tips all weekend

Due to Ohio law, you can't take firewood across any county lines!!! There's an Amish farm about 3/4 a mile away that is VERY reasonably priced for firewood. So that's your best bet. We have maybe 6-8 fire rings here. So if you have one of those outdoor wood burners, you're more than welcome to bring them. As far as Willie needing help with tows, he has two wreckers and we have tow safety trucks. Willie is THE BEST racecourse towing operator in the country!!! (I would bet large amounts of money on that!!) So he has things well in hand. Wait till you see him and Jay do a double wrecker on a balled up car. They are truly amazing to watch.

Bryan Bartzi
Nelson Ledges Roadcourse

Bryan KF8G wrote:

Due to Ohio law, you can't take firewood across any county lines!!!

Really? Wow. Here I thought I heard it all this morning when I learned that bestiality was NOT illegal in NJ. Though, it does make some sense, I mean have you seen some of the women from NJ?!

Justin
Team Cardorks: #901 Amtrack E36 / # 902 Philly E30 / #903 Integra TypeArrr!
Driving something, somewhere.

oneday wrote:
Bryan KF8G wrote:

Really? Wow. Here I thought I heard it all this morning when I learned that bestiality was NOT illegal in NJ. Though, it does make some sense, I mean have you seen some of the women from NJ?!

Yup. I was stopped this morning on my way to work crossing from Ohio to PA. They searched my whole truck for firewood. Lucky for me they didn't notice the two immigrants up front and our open bottles of Bud.  I guess they would have been hard to see through all the dope smoke though.

oneday wrote:
Bryan KF8G wrote:

Someone has to love this guy:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/13/Jersey_Devil_Philadelphia_Post_1909.jpg

Jim - 3 Pedal Mafia
Dustbuster AWD Civic WagoVan
SeaSprite/S10 a.k.a. "The Boat"

Did a some quick research, and while the ban on moving firewood sounds silly, I guess it makes sense, as long as these bugs know they aren't allowed to cross from a quarantined county, all should be fine.

Frequently Asked Questions on Firewood Movement and Emerald Ash Borer

Ohio Emerald Ash Borer Info Site

Justin

Byran's comment on not moving any firewood in OH was not quite right.

According to what i read in these links the key is not moving any hardwood OUT of the quarantined areas.

Here are the details.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/explore/fire … fault.aspx

http://www.agri.ohio.gov/eab/#tog

http://www.agri.ohio.gov/divs/plant/eab/eabfaqs.aspx

Nelson's in in the banned (red) / quarantined area.

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

Bryan KF8G wrote:
prime suspect wrote:

Due to Ohio law, you can't take firewood across any county lines!!! There's an Amish farm about 3/4 a mile away that is VERY reasonably priced for firewood. So that's your best bet. We have maybe 6-8 fire rings here. So if you have one of those outdoor wood burners, you're more than welcome to bring them. As far as Willie needing help with tows, he has two wreckers and we have tow safety trucks. Willie is THE BEST racecourse towing operator in the country!!! (I would bet large amounts of money on that!!) So he has things well in hand. Wait till you see him and Jay do a double wrecker on a balled up car. They are truly amazing to watch.

Didnt know that about the firewood ,  but   its good to know there is some available close by          i guess everyone should be prepared to have their " wood " inspected  the morning you roll in

wasnt trying to step on anyones "tows"  ,   just trying to be helpful

spectator "Lamest Day 09",DNF "American Irony" 2010,DNS "Capitol Offense"2010,DNF "Gingervitis"2011,DNF"ShowroomShlock"2011 maybe someday....                                                                                     
"luckily I didnt go into the mountain,.......I went over the cliff. I was doin 300 MPH sideways and 100 ft. down at the same time............"

I'm just assuming that it just isn't good to move any at all. And they are being very strict about it. So it's best to just get it locally and be done with it. The last time we got wood from the Amish guy, it was $50.00 a cord. And I've seen as much as $150 a cord also not far from the track. So he's pretty reasonable.

Bryan Bartzi
Nelson Ledges Roadcourse

Bryan KF8G wrote:

I'm just assuming that it just isn't good to move any at all. And they are being very strict about it. So it's best to just get it locally and be done with it. The last time we got wood from the Amish guy, it was $50.00 a cord. And I've seen as much as $150 a cord also not far from the track. So he's pretty reasonable.

WOW  that is cheap   I would have had to pay more than twice that from a local firewood guy here  !!      guess its like eggs    cheaper in the country

prime suspect wrote:

so I guess my 2 tow trucks will be available to lift heavy objects ( i.e. motors,equipment,cars,mother inlaws)   for food, drink and tips all weekend

We're hauling a car out to the track for someone.  Much like you we're trying to keep the trip useful and bringing an empty trailer for Wartburg retrieval seems wasteful.

We will have an engine that needs to be moved from our truck to his so we will try to hook up with you.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

What time does the gate close Thurs night or does it?  We have some VERY late arrivals...

JThw8 wrote:
prime suspect wrote:

so I guess my 2 tow trucks will be available to lift heavy objects ( i.e. motors,equipment,cars,mother inlaws)   for food, drink and tips all weekend

We're hauling a car out to the track for someone.  Much like you we're trying to keep the trip useful and bringing an empty trailer for Wartburg retrieval seems wasteful.

We will have an engine that needs to be moved from our truck to his so we will try to hook up with you.

be glad to help   my wreckers are both mid 80s dodge "sling trucks"  , shouldnt be hard to spot ,  just follow the trail of oil spots or look for the large clouds of exhaust smoke

Oh yeah what about booze rules?  Glass or cans?

harddriveracing.com wrote:

IV...although thats just a personal preference.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Name a booze worth drinking that comes in a can. I dare you.

Justin

oneday wrote:

Name a booze worth drinking that comes in a can. I dare you.

Oh, there are plenty of beers worth drinking that come in cans.

Those large, heavy, metal things that you hook a tap into, those are cans, right?